Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I'm honestly completely confused by this set. I think it's good, but it seems like it's also bad? I can't tell if any of it will have any impact on Standard, it looks like it might be either fun or boring for Limited/Draft, some of the stuff might be good in Modern like Crucible Man, etc.

I think SaffronOlive put it the best so far: "Hour of Devastation is officially Commander heaven."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

I mean if it wasn't a land that tapped for mana, I would have dismissed it on the spot.

Thinking more thorughly about it, it'll probably only see play in EDH, if even that (given how land destruction completely ruins it, and how you have Safe Haven as a cheaper alternative in terms of mana)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm down for an MTG suicide pact - you could say we'd be making our own cycle

I wish they had printed Suicide Pact. Could be like Slaughter Pact but with Innocent Blood effect attached.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

En Fuego posted:

Off of spoiler chat ... I just started going through my collection and taking inventory via Scryglass (which is awesome if you haven't used it) and I was wondering what everyone's favorite card they own is.

Mine is currently my beta Gauntlet of Might. It just looks so coooooool.

Honorable mentions from past ownership is a Sol Ring I had Richard Garfield sign and alter to add 20 mana to my pool (when I asked him to alter it he flat out said 'What, it's not powerful enough?') and a Kjeldoran Outpost. I wish I still had those ones actually.

One of these:

Probably the Ugin.

These are the ones that most people have to look at, and are also sweet:

And these were the hardest to find:

I refused to upgrade from UW to Bant Spirits until I got these.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Oh, Waluigi.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

ScryGlass stopped working for me :/ I think I dropped my phone too many times.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I was looking up local shops here and came across this on the Wizards site...

Are we getting an extra helping of ixalan after dominaria?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

One of these:

Probably the Ugin.

These are the ones that most people have to look at, and are also sweet:

And these were the hardest to find:

I refused to upgrade from UW to Bant Spirits until I got these.
Eagerly awaiting the Nintendo/Homestar Runner crossover.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Star Man posted:

No pacts because then there's an actual cost and consequence to my death.

Please get help, dude :smith:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

JFC get therapy

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Star Man posted:

No pacts because then there's an actual cost and consequence to my death.

Can I have your cards? PM for address info

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

gif Probst posted:

I was looking up local shops here and came across this on the Wizards site...

Are we getting an extra helping of ixalan after dominaria?

What are we supposed to be seeing?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

goth smoking cloves posted:

What are we supposed to be seeing?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Pro Tour Qualifier Return to Ixalan

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can I have your cards? PM for address info

You can come pick them up at:

123 Butts AVE
City, State, USA

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

You can come pick them up at:

123 Butts AVE
City, State, USA

Stop posting suicidal poo poo and get some help

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
You guys are much too pessimistic. There are an about average number of standard-worthy cards already spoiled for this set. Just at a glance and ignoring anything cute;

Black Desert
Hollow One
Unesh
Nicol Bolas
Locust God
Adorned Pouncer
Hour of Revelation
Solemnity
Ammit Eternal
Earthshaker Khenra
Ramunap Excavator
Grind to Dust
Hostile Desert
Potentially any of the Defeat cycle
Supreme Will
Abrade
Crook of Condemnation
Claim to Fame

There are several others that become quite good if their particular niche becomes a legit strategy like deserts or -1/-1 counters

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm not sure how I feel about all these deserts. Most of them are utterly terrible on their own, but some of the desert synergy might be playable in places if we get enough support cards that allow color-light manabases.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It costs 5.

Cards that cost 5 are less powerful than cards that cost 6.

Ranger's Path is weaker than this as it costs 4. Cultivate does less than that and costs 3. Rampant Growth costs 2 and does less still.

This is called the mana system.

Also lol acting like Prime Time is a reasonable baseline of power.

I was talking about it strictly from a Commander perspective, where Primeval Titan got its rear end banned for being above and beyond "way too powerful" - this is the kind of nerf that makes it actually okay in the format while still being playable. It's a good card.

But if you want to be pedantic about it, a 6/6 body is worth a hell of a lot more than a single mana. :v:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about all these deserts. Most of them are utterly terrible on their own, but some of the desert synergy might be playable in places if we get enough support cards that allow color-light manabases.

I was talking about it strictly from a Commander perspective, where Primeval Titan got its rear end banned for being above and beyond "way too powerful" - this is the kind of nerf that makes it actually okay in the format while still being playable. It's a good card.

But if you want to be pedantic about it, a 6/6 body is worth a hell of a lot more than a single mana. :v:

Is it a 1 mana cheaper Primeval Titan or is it a 1 mana more expensive Explosive Vegetation that has a billion incredibly significant upsides?

Because Explosive Vegetation is like the EDH staplest of EDH staples.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

They probably just messed up and its supposed to be "Return to Dominaria" or something right?

I'm in the "underwhelmed" camp for this set but I am patiently waiting for all the commons to be spoiled so that (god willing) songs of the damned cycling can be t1 in pauper.

Fake edit:

Stupid pauper cycling combo:
Library of Leng
Street Wraith
Horror of the Broken Lands

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Stop posting suicidal poo poo and get some help

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Is it a 1 mana cheaper Primeval Titan or is it a 1 mana more expensive Explosive Vegetation that has a billion incredibly significant upsides?

Because Explosive Vegetation is like the EDH staplest of EDH staples.

Right? It just goes to show how strong that effect is. I think the best part is how the second part of the card will never happen and it's still good.

This set really is a Commander set to the exclusion of pretty much everywhere else, possibly also Pauper depending on how much good cycling we get.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 27, 2017

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Any idea on how viable a -1/-1 counters deck with Hapatra, decimator beetle, archfiend and Ammit would be? It seems like with Hapatra, Archfiend and the Ammit in play you can spit out a ton of death touch snakes but Hapatra is so weak I am not sure how to keep her alive long enough to get any benefit.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think it's possible that there's a real -1/-1 counter synergy deck at some point in standard, but it's not going to have Decimator Beetle (simply too weak for a 5 drop) and probably not going to have archfiend.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tainen posted:

Any idea on how viable a -1/-1 counters deck with Hapatra, decimator beetle, archfiend and Ammit would be? It seems like with Hapatra, Archfiend and the Ammit in play you can spit out a ton of death touch snakes but Hapatra is so weak I am not sure how to keep her alive long enough to get any benefit.

I was tinkering around with this when Amonkhet dropped, Hapatra is too hard to keep alive for too little reward. You're better of running Exemplar or Channeler (depending on what your game plan is). Archfiend and the Decimator bug are also too slow. Might be some stuff in HoD that fleshes the deck out, but I doubt it'll ever be better than kitchen table fodder.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Mirror + Archfiend, cycle card = -1/-1 x2

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Nest of Scarabs is the payoff you guys are looking for. Is approximately 100 times better than Hapatra

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

En Fuego posted:

Off of spoiler chat ... I just started going through my collection and taking inventory via Scryglass (which is awesome if you haven't used it) and I was wondering what everyone's favorite card they own is.

Mine is currently my beta Gauntlet of Might. It just looks so coooooool.

Honorable mentions from past ownership is a Sol Ring I had Richard Garfield sign and alter to add 20 mana to my pool (when I asked him to alter it he flat out said 'What, it's not powerful enough?') and a Kjeldoran Outpost. I wish I still had those ones actually.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

Nest of Scarabs is the payoff you guys are looking for. Is approximately 100 times better than Hapatra

Well having deathouch snakes and redundancy is why she'll see play if that becomes a deck. Without an anthem just making some 1/1s using inefficient creatures and removal doesn't seem nearly good enough.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

suicidesteve posted:

One of these:

Probably the Ugin.

Huh that...that is not how I would have imagined Ugin being pronounced. Then again, Russian is kind of weird like that.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Eugene, The Spirit Dragon

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

En Fuego posted:

I was wondering what everyone's favorite card they own is.

Invention Crucible of Worlds is definitely the prettiest card I have. Foil pack Ugin second place.

Cards I love using in decks include:
Playset of Thoughtseizes I had signed at GP Vegas 2015.
Ugly signed 4th edition bolts

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Jenx posted:

Huh that...that is not how I would have imagined Ugin being pronounced. Then again, Russian is kind of weird like that.

I like it, it's fun to say Oodzhein

Edit: looking at it again if I remember correctly дж = J in Russian so it probably sound like it does in english

Tainen fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 27, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Prettiest card I have is a regular foil Mayael the Anima. The way it's shaded or something makes the flowers and her eyes stick out really well in normal lighting conditions and it looks pretty drat sweet.

I also have a single signed foil Unhinged island that I will treasure for the rest of my days.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rides Naked posted:

They probably just messed up and its supposed to be "Return to Dominaria" or something right?

I'm in the "underwhelmed" camp for this set but I am patiently waiting for all the commons to be spoiled so that (god willing) songs of the damned cycling can be t1 in pauper.

Fake edit:

Stupid pauper cycling combo:
Library of Leng
Street Wraith
Horror of the Broken Lands

It's just called Dominaria and that's not how Library of Leng works.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Lone Goat posted:

It's just called Dominaria and that's not how Library of Leng works.

1) Fair
2) Tell modo that because it works on there

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

Eugene, The Spirit Dragon

Eugene and Nicole Bolas

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

En Fuego posted:

My copy of Mana Drain I bought a few years ago for my cube, when I realized that I could now just buy most of the cards I wanted and that Magic was suddenly much more dangerous to play than when I was a broke-rear end high school/college student

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Rides Naked posted:

1) Fair
2) Tell modo that because it works on there

According to Gatherer:

quote:

You can’t use the Library of Leng ability to place a discarded card on top of your library when you discard a card as a cost, because costs aren’t effects.

It's not terribly surprising that it works on MODO though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Tainen posted:

I like it, it's fun to say Oodzhein

Edit: looking at it again if I remember correctly дж = J in Russian so it probably sound like it does in english

I was always under the impression his name was pronounced Ooghin, which should just be Угин in Russian. But eh, what do I know. (Not much. I haven't used russian since high school). I do love that Duress, in Russian, is "Violence" though. In general a lot of their translations are rather fun or creative.