Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
UT stopped calling me years ago. I guess they only needed to hear "I'm broke" about a dozen times before they got the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tulane still calls me and sometimes pretends games will run out of tickets. (outside of homecoming and maybe early season games against out LA teams this doesn't happen.)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I feel bad for those folks calling to get donations because they are usually doing that for some cash while they work at school and know that people hate getting those calls.

Yea, it's always kids trying to earn a couple bucks so I don't act rude to them.

Joey Freshwater posted:

How does that call go? My school never called me for donations for whatever reason. Maybe they realized I wouldn't be making any money with my major (they were right).

"Yes hi I know you just finished a time in your life where you will be several thousand dollars in debt for the rest of your life but would you mind giving us even more money?"

Won't know if you don't ask, basically. They'll hit you up at specified times because people are more likely to be generous then (think holidays and tax refunds) just like a charity. If you want to donate to your school or a charity, the smartest thing to do is to make it anonymous. They get the money, you don't get mail and phone calls asking for more.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 24, 2017

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Crotch Bat posted:

Won't know if you don't ask, basically. They'll hit you up at specified times because people are more likely to be generous then (think holidays and tax refunds) just like a charity. If you want to donate to your school or a charity, the smartest thing to do is to make it anonymous. They get the money, you don't get mail and phone calls asking for more.

This isn't true. At least for VT. I worked as a caller and there was no extra staffing around those times. poo poo really they were understaffed then because kids were away for winter/spring break.

Now what they maybe did was focused more on people who gave a lot or recently then, but I don't remember anything like that either.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/Avery_Leilani/status/876960357205651456

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

I feel bad for those folks calling to get donations because they are usually doing that for some cash while they work at school and know that people hate getting those calls.

Yeah, I did this one summer. At my place (the "Alumni Outreach Program" at OU) they heavily screened your calls--really rode your rear end. You got moved around on assignments on a daily basis depending on how well or poorly you had been doing. I remember getting praised for doing one more "ask" on a guy who said he was in the hospital and had just been told we was permanently paralyzed.

It's the only job I quit without giving two weeks' notice. gently caress that poo poo.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Dango Bango posted:

I once got a call from my university asking for a donation. They knew I was a recent graduate and still started asking of I'd be willing to donate like $500. I laughed at them.

I got those calls from Texas constantly as soon as I finished undergrad... including the entire time I was attending grad school at Texas and paying like $20k a year in tuition. Not just no but hell the gently caress no.

e: Not that I was ever a dick to whatever student making those calls for work-study money.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bobcats like Cougars? Well I'll be.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Imagine what Jim Harbaugh's one-up to this looks like

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Korranus posted:

Imagine what Jim Harbaugh's one-up to this looks like

It's just him hanging out with the same group of shirtless, sweaty dudes

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

And Jim is probably shirtless right there with them

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lmao

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I could have sworn some SEC school had one of those record boards for neck thickness. I wanna say it was one of the Mississippi schools but google is failing me.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
The Weber one is the funniest, I think his longest run last year was 20 yards.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Spacemonkey57 posted:

The Weber one is the funniest, I think his longest run last year was 20 yards.

It was 52, but I get what you are saying. Dude is definitely slower than Zeke was and he was a 4.47.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rumors abound that Pitt is going to change colors and go with their 70s throwbacks as standard. The eight or nine Pitt fans must be thrilled.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

Rumors abound that Pitt is going to change colors and go with their 70s throwbacks as standard. The eight or nine Pitt fans must be thrilled.

those look awesome and they should keep that look

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

Surprising that the best team in PA doesn't have more fans

Those uniforms are dope though, that's good news

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NCAA investigation into Baylor has officially begun

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

I can't see anything coming of it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KKKLIP ART posted:

I did that for a while in undergrad and it actually wasn't too bad if you made it through the first month or so. If you survived that and were decent on the phone they'd put you on the pools of people who donated every year and actually didn't mind the calls. There your job was just to convince them to increase their donation vs. begging them to give you $25.

Edit: also they know you aren't going to give $500 or whatever the first ask is. They just are pegging it high to start so when they get down to $50 it seems reasonable.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 27, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So two Vanderbilt players have been shot (they're going to recover).

One of them was selling a cell phone through an internet site (I'm guessing something like Craigslist?) and got robbed by the guy who was going to buy it. Later the thief tried to sell it on the same site, so the player made a fake account and was going to rob his phone right back. He and two other Vandy players got into a car with a mighty pellet gun for intimidation.

Turns out the thief and his buddy had real guns. Apparently a shotgun was fired, which, well thank gently caress it was either from a long way away or the guy missed since a shotgun blast isn't something you're going to walk away from.

e: Oh one of the kids did get hit with birdshot

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Turns out the thief and his buddy had real guns. Apparently a shotgun was fired, which, well thank gently caress it was either from a long way away or the guy missed since a shotgun blast isn't something you're going to walk away from.

e: Oh one of the kids did get hit with birdshot

World of difference between what happens to you with birdshot compared to buckshot, especially the further away you get from your target.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I was just assuming if it was a thief packing a gun for thievery purposes he'd have loaded slugs or buckshot.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I was just assuming if it was a thief packing a gun for thievery purposes he'd have loaded slugs or buckshot.

Birdshot's a lot cheaper, and let's face it, if you're robbing people off craigslist for cell phones, you're not flush with cash.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

Birdshot's a lot cheaper, and let's face it, if you're robbing people off craigslist for cell phones, you're not flush with cash.

Maurice Clarett was strapped.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Maurice Clarett was strapped.

Freshman Clarett was a loving monster and I can't believe he never panned out.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If Maurice Clarett had stayed in school, stayed out of trouble and in shape, and been drafted by like the saints or patriots or something, right now he'd be finishing off a hall of fame career.

Instead he challenged the nfl draft rules, had to sit out a year, got fat, and then started pouring grey goose in his water bottle at broncos training camp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1rAPT7O4x0

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
classic fencing response

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Sash! posted:

As much as I dislike Pitt those are superior uniforms. That would be a good choice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

N: Arizona has new unis

https://twitter.com/ArizonaFBall/status/879809003659948032

https://twitter.com/ArizonaFBall/status/879825066451775489

https://twitter.com/ArizonaFBall/status/879859556498759681

V: The full whites, and red pants with white jersey and red helmet look sharp. BRING BACK THE COPPER HELMET

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 28, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Not bad. That gradient-but-more-a-rainbow thing Arizona had been doing didn't work for me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah getting rid of the gradients was a big improvement by itself. Kinda wish the red numbers had some white trim with the blue jersey though, I feel like that dark red's just gonna be all the harder to see

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Michigan WR Grant Perry has cut a plea deal and had sexual assault charges dropped. He pleads guilty to 1 resisting an officer charge, and 1 assault and battery charge, both misdemeanors.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Thats a good shift for arizona. One day VT one day.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The helmet logo looks bad, it looks like they were too lazy to cut out the bottom.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think it's a general positive trend for the Arizona uniform. I didn't mind last year's uniforms but the guy I sat next to absolutely hated them so hopefully he's happy.

I like the copper helmets too but also Arizona is probably gonna be a 3-4 win team next year so probably not worth blowing the good stuff on that team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I feel like I'm in the minority because I always liked the gradient thing Arizona did on their shoulders.

• Locked thread