Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

dis astranagant posted:

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/magic-storage.56294/

Looks like remote access is a bit of a mess right now but a truely portable version is on the todo list.

I need to add this into the menagerie of mods I have. Lots of fun, and lots of insane poo poo in these mods. I still don't fully grasp how to use the Dushy's upgrade mod, but meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I feel like I'm getting away with something by sitting on music mod by myself, so I'm just going to share it again: http://personal.applegrenade.com/terraria/WaveBank.zip
(Just unzip the file and slap the resulting wavebank in your steamapps\common\terraria\Content folder).
I'm really happy with most of my decisions and I think you will too. It even makes the Old One's Army event interesting.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I picked this up for Android and have been working towards the Wall of Flesh. I have just about equipped myself as best as possible to deal with it, but I'm left with some issues with the game controls. Is there some way to lock the floating controls in place on Android? I find it particularly hard to handle quick nudges and such since it sometimes repositions the controls when I lift my thumbs. I have a glass of a sand and have the damndest time double jumping with it.

What should I be doing to set myself up for tanking in hard mode? I am going to assume I can't get around these problems and I just need raw endurance to power through bosses. I basically did the Brain of Cthulu by double-fisting molotov cocktails at it since the phone kind of slowed down and didn't respond well to me trying to move. Skeletron was particularly frustrating because I had enough time to dodge the spinning head but just couldn't get the controls to respond to me. I assume that's particularly because I am used to gamepads where I can just turn my thumb a little to changing direction.

Basically I have to figure out what to do against all the bosses assuming I am quite helpless.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I picked this up for Android and have been working towards the Wall of Flesh. I have just about equipped myself as best as possible to deal with it, but I'm left with some issues with the game controls. Is there some way to lock the floating controls in place on Android? I find it particularly hard to handle quick nudges and such since it sometimes repositions the controls when I lift my thumbs. I have a glass of a sand and have the damndest time double jumping with it.

What should I be doing to set myself up for tanking in hard mode? I am going to assume I can't get around these problems and I just need raw endurance to power through bosses. I basically did the Brain of Cthulu by double-fisting molotov cocktails at it since the phone kind of slowed down and didn't respond well to me trying to move. Skeletron was particularly frustrating because I had enough time to dodge the spinning head but just couldn't get the controls to respond to me. I assume that's particularly because I am used to gamepads where I can just turn my thumb a little to changing direction.

Basically I have to figure out what to do against all the bosses assuming I am quite helpless.

For the wall of flesh, you want to build a runway in the underworld that runs at least half the length of the map.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Royal W posted:

For the wall of flesh, you want to build a runway in the underworld that runs at least half the length of the map.

Why? How do you use it? I'm getting close myself and I'm a newb newb as well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Without any spoilers, the nature of the bossfight necessitates a lot of movement, and it's much, much easier to move safely and attack the boss at the same time if you've already cleared a very large space to traverse. The alternative is trying to move, fight, and also avoid lava pits/grapple up and down hell ruins at the same time. A bridge spanning the lava gaps and some passages cut through the buildings would really help.
I'd advise building the bridge/runway out of obsidian platforms, since those are lava-proof.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You use it to run across. The wall is constantly moving towards you and you don't want to worry about dodging lava and bursting through walls while you're fighting something called "the wall of flesh."

I used water walking and whatever it is that keeps you from catching on fire and then made sure there weren't walls in my way instead of building a platform the whole way across, but whatever option works for you.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
You also really, really want a good ranged/magic weapon, preferably one that pierces multiple enemies. Fighting the Wall of Flesh in melee is somewhere between suicidal and outright impossible..

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Spears (dark lance), flails, and yo-yos are all melee and can handle the Wall well enough. Harder than a really good gun or strong magic? Sure, but nowhere near impossible.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yes, but what do I do on my Android where my player has the grace and elegance of an ice cream truck?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

kvx687 posted:

You also really, really want a good ranged/magic weapon, preferably one that pierces multiple enemies. Fighting the Wall of Flesh in melee is somewhere between suicidal and outright impossible..

I have an Ice Boomerang, that good?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Lorini posted:

Anything short of a Cascade yo-yo with a range trinket is fearful. Although I'm speaking from expert mode perspective; you could probably trickle away at him with one of those if your hell bridge is long enough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

that ivy guy posted:

Anything short of a Cascade yo-yo with a range trinket is fearful. Although I'm speaking from expert mode perspective; you could probably trickle away at him with one of those if your hell bridge is long enough.

On normal mode you can just get stuck in with a night's edge or whatever and have a good time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, Normal mode, that's probably fine. Oh, right, no piercing on that.

I always like using the Space Gun with the Meteor Armor. Good for dealing with most of the regular enemies in Hell, too.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 28, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lorini posted:

Probably not, it spits out a lot of tiny ads (like the Eye does) and Ice Boomerang's repeat rate is pretty bad because you need to wait for it to come back to you before you can throw it again. If you're going with something boomerang-like for Wall, Chakram (you can craft it from various jungle materials) is the bare minimum.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Jungle chakram is definitely the better option but still kind of weak. You want something with a good rate and decent functionality. Pre-hardmode melee doesn't get much distance so yo-yos and throwables would top the list. Beenades actually work pretty drat well, too, I found.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Get a phoenix blaster, it's probably the best pre-hardmode weapon besides the star cannon for mangling the WoF.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I Said No posted:

Get a phoenix blaster, it's probably the best pre-hardmode weapon besides the star cannon for mangling the WoF.

Shame it's a huge pain in the rear end to use to its fullest without Omniswing.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Get a shotgun from the jungle, get in a minecart, and introduce the Wall to 12ga buckshot from a safe distance.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

Get a shotgun from the jungle, get in a minecart, and introduce the Wall to 12ga buckshot from a safe distance.

But don't put meteor shot in it unless you want to be very disappointed

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah meteor shot is almost good but then it's weirdly buggy because of the ricochet property, so if you're using any gun with a secondary effect like cone fire or burst fire, it misses half the time

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

yeah meteor shot is almost good but then it's weirdly buggy because of the ricochet property, so if you're using any gun with a secondary ammo effect, it misses half the time

It's not a bug. You're only allowed to hit one target with something like 6 piercing projectiles a second and not on the same frame. The same thing happens if you put Jester's or Unholy arrows in the Chlorophyte Shotbow or Luminite bullets in any shotgun.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
My go to for wall is a smallish platform, like 5-6 screens wide, and the minigun. Also night to hand an imp or bee along for the ride.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm assuming 200 molotov cocktails would get the ball rolling, right? I just fear once hard mode starts that I can't fall back on that crutch any more.

Descend to slumber
May 12, 2001

Speaking from experience on desktop here but I've always found beenades to be particularly useful against the wall of flesh initially since the bees run into all it's little eaters and it's face right into the bees as it chases you.

Descend to slumber fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 28, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The flying devils in hell also have a decent chance of dropping their spell, which is very powerful and goes through enemies so you can get multihits with each projectile.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hmm, don't think I'm ready for the Wall of Flesh after all, thanks for all the tips!!!! Man this game is SO BIG!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Seconding the Meteor Armor w/ Ray Gun, since you get to shoot infinitely and it does an okay amount of damage until you can craft something better in hard mode

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I used the space gun along with that flying devil spell, throwing the spell whenever my mana got back to full.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I used the space gun along with that flying devil spell, throwing the spell whenever my mana got back to full.

Make mana cuffs, never run out of mana again.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Lorini posted:

Hmm, don't think I'm ready for the Wall of Flesh after all, thanks for all the tips!!!! Man this game is SO BIG!

This might sound a bit elitist but that is not how I mean it at all. Wall of Flesh is pretty much the end of the tutorial, the way the game opens up and expands after that is pretty absurd. I'm not going to spoil anything because the game loving goes places. Basically, you're in for a ride in the best way possible.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

watho posted:

This might sound a bit elitist but that is not how I mean it at all. Wall of Flesh is pretty much the end of the tutorial, the way the game opens up and expands after that is pretty absurd. I'm not going to spoil anything because the game loving goes places. Basically, you're in for a ride in the best way possible.

Well I'm watching the Hardcore PBG Gaming Season 3 series and they only go to the Wall of Flesh so yeah it'll certainly be a surprise when I finally make it to Hardmode.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So what about the platform to fight the wall of flesh? I am in a large world so going to whole expanse is insane. I have 500 blocks across of stone along the upper third. Not enough?

Also, how are you supposed to control yourself on rope? On Android, I have turned myself into hamburger the most from falling off of them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've only played the mobile version a little, but it kind of sucks. The PC version's only $5 right now with the steam sale, it's very much worth it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So what about the platform to fight the wall of flesh? I am in a large world so going to whole expanse is insane. I have 500 blocks across of stone along the upper third. Not enough?

You definitely don't need to do the entire expanse but you should be able to keep running along it for a good 2-3 minutes in normal

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
If you have the equipment to walk on water/lava, you just need to punch through some walls and round/flatten out some of the more extreme terrain. If you go with a raceway, instead of blocks you should mine some of the obsidian platforms that you can find in all those hell houses, lava can fall through them without destroying them, so killing lava slimes isn't that big of an issue. If you stick with stone, just put in some holes in regular Intervalls to keep the lava threat at a minimum.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also the obsidian bricks many hell houses are made from can be crafted to the same lavaproof obsidian platforms at a rate of 2 platforms per brick, so you should have no problem getting all you need. Background walls likewise can be crafted to bricks, then platforms.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Also the obsidian bricks many hell houses are made from can be crafted to the same lavaproof obsidian platforms at a rate of 2 platforms per brick, so you should have no problem getting all you need. Background walls likewise can be crafted to bricks, then platforms.

I usually use ash blocks with a some one tile holes cut for drainage. You get tons of the stuff mining hellstone. IIRC lava slimes dropping lava is an expert mode thing anyway and the solid floor tends to block shots from the lower eye.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lorini posted:

Well I'm watching the Hardcore PBG Gaming Season 3 series and they only go to the Wall of Flesh so yeah it'll certainly be a surprise when I finally make it to Hardmode.

If you're gonna watch Terraria gameplay then lemme suggest a couple blokes who actually got through the entire thing. They played it on expert mode, however.

Zisteau

EthosLab

They did it co-op with each other, but you can pick a perspective if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm at the point now where I'm hooked on watching mostly/only blind LPs, but unfortunately I've only found a few truly blind Terraria LPs and they all have a person bumbling around blindly for like 5 episodes with a dirt hut and a cactus sword, then on episode 6 they suddenly have molten gear and a huge house/commieblock built and they're like "hey guys so I looked up some things and killed a few bosses and now I'm ready for hardmode".