Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

he's using a forgery of Time's newspaper with their giant trademark in commerce and deliberately holding it out as real to the public

it's one thing if you or I have a fake time cover in our house, it's another for a businessman to be using a fake in multiple businesses that are branded based on his name

Yeah I mean I suppose you could argue that he's using it to add value to his brand or something, but I don't think it would be taken seriously by any judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Robot Hobo posted:

The most inspiring part is that the Republicans have effectively all the power, nobody else's say really matters, and nobody can really stop them from doing what they want... Yet they still managed to turn this into a clusterfuck entirely on their own.

Given free reign, this was the best they could do.

Louis Black once boiled it down succinctly to "there's the party with lovely ideas versus the party with NO ideas." Sometimes I get confused figuring out which is which. Al Franken too had a similar moment of brevity a while back (before he was in office) along these same lines that "Republicans run on the platform of 'Government doesn't work' and then, when they get elected, they prove it."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is acceptable to attack someone's physical appearance if they are also ugly on the inside.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

"Republicans run on the platform of 'Government doesn't work' and then, when they get elected, they prove it."

Dude's got some great lines now that he doesn't feel the need to be incredibly serious at all times. He would crush a presidential debate

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

BiggerBoat posted:

Louis Black once boiled it down succinctly to "there's the party with lovely ideas versus the party with NO ideas." Sometimes I get confused figuring out which is which. Al Franken too had a similar moment of brevity a while back (before he was in office) along these same lines that "Republicans run on the platform of 'Government doesn't work' and then, when they get elected, they prove it."

Actually, that take is literally no deeper than giant douche vs. turd sandwich, and as such is at best completely worthless and at worst actively harmful.

Not franken's, his is very correct

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is acceptable to attack someone's physical appearance if they are also ugly on the inside.

Yeah, part of it is because she frequently has a really lovely "exasperated teacher" look on her face.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What are the rules on snail mail donation request? Can I register a group and ask for donations and say it'll be used to spread the groups agenda? Which will remain vague and undefined in the letters but make it sound scary and pro-Trump. Then I can just shitpost on /r/td and say the money went to spreading my groups agenda.

Seems like a good way to dry up resources and make a neat profit.

Or a good way to end up in jail.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

"And then I was like, 'Are these things actually real?'"

I am glad that even though the press secretary has changed, Melissa McCarthy could just keep the role.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Covok posted:

I fear you may be right. I really really hope you aren't, but I learned the folly of such thinking after they blitzkreiged this past the house when all of our pants were down.

Well, with the house bill they could make the argument "it doesn't matter what's in it, we'll fix it when it gets to the senate", but now they can't do that anymore. The bill is still bad and they still don't want to pass it and they can't agree on how to fix it.

If passing it was really that easy they would have done it already.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BiggerBoat posted:

Or a good way to end up in jail.

I'd in hindsight probably recommend not doing it through the mail, but PACs are very legally able to spend practically all their money raised on A) consultants and B) raising more money.

It's a pretty good gig.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/879821792436682753

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah I mean I suppose you could argue that he's using it to add value to his brand or something, but I don't think it would be taken seriously by any judge

that would literally be the argument.

if people can use your trademark to add value to their own brands without your permission in a manner that is not fair use... then trademarks would be meaningless.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rigel posted:

Reminder that Obamacare was originally the Heritage Foundation's "Conservative Alternative to Clintoncare".

The ACA WAS THEIR loving IDEA! If they get torched in 2018 for trying to destroy their own idea, that would be hilarious.

GOD DAMMIT NO IT WAS NOT. Stop loving saying this. Just stop. Stop. STOOOOOOOOP. The ONLY thing that's the same is the mandate, the rules and regulations and literally every other aspect of it is completely different. Just...loving STOP.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

He knows he's talking to a gay man, and thus needs to assert his heterosexuality so that nobody thinks that he caught it.

Trump logic at its best.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

OctaMurk posted:

that would literally be the argument.

if people can use your trademark to add value to their own brands without your permission in a manner that is not fair use... then trademarks would be meaningless.

I love how desperate he is for their approval, despite them being a failing fake news failure of a magazine :allears:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crow Jane posted:

I love how desperate he is for their approval, despite them being a failing fake news failure of a magazine :allears:

He has been on real Time Magazine covers

How does this even happen? Did he balk at the price of getting one specially printed from Time and just told Barron to photoshop one up? :psyduck:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Teddybear posted:

He knows he's talking to a gay man, and thus needs to assert his heterosexuality so that nobody thinks that he caught it.

Trump logic at its best.

Or he just saw a women and commented on her appearance because he liked what he saw because that's what Trump does no matter the situation. Do you really think he knew anything about the phone call?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Of course he called on the RT reporter

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

What a creepy loving ape. She is an attractive lady though, I've definitely watched boring news pieces because she's presenting them

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's OK to do that to (a) people who do it to others and (b) George RR Martin.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WeAreTheRomans posted:

yeah, putting it in numerous trump properties that are "trump properties" seems pretty cut and dried using it in commerce, they're not going to get more than nominal damages if they sue but he'll get told to knock it off

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

RTE is not RT

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

RTE is the Irish state broadcaster, their BBC.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Teddybear posted:

Trump logic at its best.

aware of dog posted:

RTE is not RT

you're both assuming trump knew that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Seems to check out

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

evilweasel posted:

yeah, putting it in numerous trump properties that are "trump properties" seems pretty cut and dried using it in commerce, they're not going to get more than nominal damages if they sue but he'll get told to knock it off

Plus it'll provoke a category five tweetstorm

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

aware of dog posted:

RTE is not RT

1. Oops
2. It was an attempt at sarcasm
3. Maybe it stants for Russia Today England :smuggo:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

3. Maybe it stants for Russia Today England :smuggo:

Dig up!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

he's using a forgery of Time's newspaper with their giant trademark in commerce and deliberately holding it out as real to the public

it's one thing if you or I have a fake time cover in our house, it's another for a businessman to be using a fake in multiple businesses that are branded based on his name

It's like stolen valor.

"Sir, can you tell me the name of your article editor and writer?"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Collins, Murkowski, etc had any morals, they would have stopped identifying as Republicans eons ago

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Angus King has been doing a really solid job as an interviewee and in the Intelligence Hearings. That's a really valuable (I) next to his name, but does anyone know where he stands on single payer?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Covok posted:

Any one in the insurance industry who voted Trump is probably kicking themselves.

Nope.

Big Fish in a small pond being drained and turned into a concrete slab.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am holding out hope for Murkowski as Alaska will have disproportionately huge premium spikes under BCRA even though they already have hugely expensive premiums.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

farraday posted:

Angus King has been doing a really solid job as an interviewee and in the Intelligence Hearings. That's a really valuable (I) next to his name, but does anyone know where he stands on single payer?

Why this dude's name sounds like a combo meal

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/879826244711448579

i don't know if i should read this as "he was never 'away from the table' and this is just spinning to try to build momentum" or something bad

edit:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/879826901950283776

Ralston correctly called Heller as being a definite no about a day early based on some comments nobody else picked up on as significant, so he's worth listening to.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 27, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

nerdz posted:

Why this dude's name sounds like a combo meal

It's also the most Maine name ever.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/879826244711448579

i don't know if i should read this as "he was never 'away from the table' and this is just spinning to try to build momentum" or something bad

I'm not sure he's able to walk away from negotiations, which is part of why the phrasing is always "...in the current form."

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/879826901950283776

Ralston correctly called Heller as being a definite no about a day early based on some comments nobody else picked up on as significant, so he's worth listening to.

Yeah this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Who do you trust, Trump the Great or the failing new york Times?

It is just incredible they're so petty as to try and deny they gave Trump the cover. Such lies!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

It's also the most Maine name ever.

Jack O. Lope :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/879828197759565824

• Locked thread