Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I mean IDGAF I just start it up and do other poo poo but I was shocked at how unoptimized it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better
Nobody else got the email Friday that Nikon introduced the D7500?

Annoying video: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr...T_RID=118237768

Web page: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr...T_RID=118237768

"Class leading image quality, ISO range, image processing and metering equivalent to the award-winning D500
Large 3.2” 922K dot, tilting LCD screen with touch functionality
51-point AF system with 15 cross-type sensors and group-area AF paired with up to 8 fps continuous shooting capability
4K Ultra HD and 1080p Full HD video with stereo sound, power aperture control, auto ISO, 4K UHD Time-Lapse and more
100-51,200
ISO Expandable to 1,640,000"

Body only, $1250USD

If the high ISO is as clean as the 7200 at its high range that will be a nice step up.

Video duration still limited to 30 minutes (29'59")

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If their claim is correct (equivalent to D500), it will be. My wife has a 7200, I have a 500, the 500 is noticeably better.

They did claim that the ISO range was equivalent, though, and not that IQ at high ISO was. So could be better, might be the same.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
As someone with both a D7200 and D500 (though I've now only had the D500 for just over a week) I will say that in most cases the D500's image quality is slightly better than the D7200. The autofocus is hilariously better and faster.

However in perfect conditions (a still subject in good light) the extra 4 million or so pixels of the D7200 do make a difference and I like the fine details on those images while zoomed in better than the D500 (which look... "rougher" I guess?)

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
I have been using the Nikon 105mm f2.8 G AF-S VR IF ED Micro Nikkor lens for quite a while now and the one thing that really bothers me is that it has really noticeable focus creep: as soon as I release the back button focus button the scene starts sliding out of focus. Has anyone else experienced this? Is that something the nice chaps at the NPS centre can do something about?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've never gotten a Tamron lens before, would this be a bad idea for my D3400? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1345956-REG/tamron_afb028n_700_18_400mm_f_3_5_6_3_di_ii.html

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's gonna depend on what you're wanting to do. It's an awfully big range, which usually means a compromise on one of the ends, and the aperture isn't fixed so not particularly fast on the tele end. If you need one lens to cover everything rather than a selection though, it might do what you need it to.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's gonna depend on what you're wanting to do. It's an awfully big range, which usually means a compromise on one of the ends, and the aperture isn't fixed so not particularly fast on the tele end. If you need one lens to cover everything rather than a selection though, it might do what you need it to.

I have the kit 18-55, and Nikkor 55-200 and the 35mm prime, so a good range already but an all-in-one lens is extremely attractive for that price point to be honest.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
what if I told you it was bad

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well that's fine, that's why I'm asking...

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Hello. Just posted this in the DSLR thread but leperfish refefed me here.

Just bought the Nikon D3400 with the 2 kit lenses from store. My very first camera. Pull into parking lot in Boston and there's an older guy with a construction shirt on taking pictures of some buildings. Get to talking to him for 10 minutes and come to find out he takes pictures for construction sites when they're doing blasting in the area - takes on average 500 a day. He's been shooting with Nikons for 50 years. Such a weird coincidence I was sitting there with the unopened box on my lap. Totally just got me excited about photography after kind of being like "wow I just spent a lot of money on something I think I'll love but I'm not positive"

Reading through the manual. Wicked excited. Hopefully gonna use it after work

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hello. Just posted this in the DSLR thread but leperfish refefed me here.

Just bought the Nikon D3400 with the 2 kit lenses from store. My very first camera. Pull into parking lot in Boston and there's an older guy with a construction shirt on taking pictures of some buildings. Get to talking to him for 10 minutes and come to find out he takes pictures for construction sites when they're doing blasting in the area - takes on average 500 a day. He's been shooting with Nikons for 50 years. Such a weird coincidence I was sitting there with the unopened box on my lap. Totally just got me excited about photography after kind of being like "wow I just spent a lot of money on something I think I'll love but I'm not positive"

Congrats! Just keep shooting, love it, hate it then love it again. :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Start saving all your money to buy lenses

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Get the 35mm prime.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Get the 35mm prime.

Buy mine!

Also plan on buying more glass, and get a tripod.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you go down the tripod road, buy a real one and not a toy that actually doesn't really help at all but make you wonder why you wasted $80 on it.

The 35 1.8 is good. I eventually sold mine when I got the 18-35 1.8, and I preferred the 50 1.8 personally, but it's a pretty fab way of getting good quality fast glass cheap and the aperture difference between it and your kit lenses will be evident when you're in low light. Especially if you get one second hand, so yeah buy the dudes above me.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you go down the tripod road, buy a real one and not a toy that actually doesn't really help at all but make you wonder why you wasted $80 on it.

The 35 1.8 is good. I eventually sold mine when I got the 18-35 1.8, and I preferred the 50 1.8 personally, but it's a pretty fab way of getting good quality fast glass cheap and the aperture difference between it and your kit lenses will be evident when you're in low light. Especially if you get one second hand, so yeah buy the dudes above me.

Second hand is about the only way to go for me. So much money saved.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the only thing I bought new is my D7100 (it had only been out a month or so), and my 18-35 which somehow qualified for both a stores black Friday discount AND the Sigma black Friday discount. Everything else has been second hand, and not had a problem with anything. Photographers who buy decent enough quality gear generally seem to take care of it (or it ends up on shelves gathering dust until they realize they could at least make some money back from it...)

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah the only thing I bought new is my D7100 (it had only been out a month or so), and my 18-35 which somehow qualified for both a stores black Friday discount AND the Sigma black Friday discount. Everything else has been second hand, and not had a problem with anything. Photographers who buy decent enough quality gear generally seem to take care of it (or it ends up on shelves gathering dust until they realize they could at least make some money back from it...)

I didn't mind buying new if only for the fact I could go to the store (Hunt's in Mass, shoutout Brian) and knew I could be talked into leaving with something. If I was going to go the used route I think I would have just waited weeks while looking while not really knowing what to be looking for. In the future will definitely go used route when I have a better idea of what I want/need and can better search or something idk

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

New 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 with VR is out: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341603-REG

I think I'm gonna pick one up, super cheap and looks fun!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That does sound fun, and the VR should counter the lack of big aperture too. Wonder what it's like compared to my Tokina 11-16.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I'm hoping this gets good reviews, it looks like it could be fun on a bun.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

:shobon:

Also,

Pissflaps posted:

Get the 35mm prime.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Is the D7100 a silly upgrade from a D3300?

On paper the 7100 has a lower max ISO and worse low light performance. However, I don't really shoot past 6400 ISO anyway due to the noise and I'd like the in-body autofocus motor (so I can buy a wider variety of lenses), the weather sealing (it rains often here) and AE bracketing in case I go mad and want to shoot HDR.

Am I stupid to sell a good condition D3300 and spend an extra £200 to buy a used 7100?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Is the D7100 a silly upgrade from a D3300?

On paper the 7100 has a lower max ISO and worse low light performance. However, I don't really shoot past 6400 ISO anyway due to the noise and I'd like the in-body autofocus motor (so I can buy a wider variety of lenses), the weather sealing (it rains often here) and AE bracketing in case I go mad and want to shoot HDR.

Am I stupid to sell a good condition D3300 and spend an extra £200 to buy a used 7100?

What are you hoping to gain with the switch? I liked the dual control dials on it, there are other considerations but it only makes sense if you will derive a specific benefit from it.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What are you hoping to gain with the switch? I liked the dual control dials on it, there are other considerations but it only makes sense if you will derive a specific benefit from it.

My main two gains are access to cheaper prime lenses with AF (no body motor on the 3300) and weather sealing. Also dual controls would be useful as I've been doing daytime long exposures so need to fiddle around in manual mode.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Nigel Tufnel posted:

My main two gains are access to cheaper prime lenses with AF (no body motor on the 3300) and weather sealing. Also dual controls would be useful as I've been doing daytime long exposures so need to fiddle around in manual mode.

It sounds like it would be a worthwhile upgrade for you. I enjoyed my 7100, it was a great camera.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If you can, the 7200 is a clearer upgrade. If not, consider the 7000 as well.

Any of them would be definitely better.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nmfree posted:

I'm hoping this gets good reviews, it looks like it could be fun on a bun.

Mine arrived today and I'll let you know how it is! It's about the same size as the 18-55mm kit lens, but noticeably heavier with a huge 72mm diameter end.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can get a corporate discount of around 25% on all Canon products. If any of you were in my shoes, would you switch?

So far I'm invested in a d750, 28-300, 50mm, 27-70mm (came with the camera).

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

namaste faggots posted:

I can get a corporate discount of around 25% on all Canon products. If any of you were in my shoes, would you switch?

Nope. Buying gently used likely puts you closer to that discounted price anyways. Just a hassle for little to no gain.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

I agree with no. The D750 is a good body already, yeah buying used is great for your case. If the discount was 50% I'd probably do it, but 25% isn't enough for me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

...this thread might be slightly biased towards nikon, though, what with it being the nikon thread. I wonder if you'd get the same answer in the canon thread?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Leperflesh posted:

...this thread might be slightly biased towards nikon, though, what with it being the nikon thread. I wonder if you'd get the same answer in the canon thread?

Yeah fair enough. The only thing about Nikon that really makes me want to keep the d750 is that I love the 3D focusing mode. Nothing beats it for accuracy when taking pictures of fast moving kids in crowds of fast moving kids.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I shoot Fuji. And m43. And Nikon and awhile back canon.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It'd depend on what you wanted on the Canon side. Just switching for no reason other than you can get a 25% discount on stuff seems dumb. If you're looking at buying $30k worth of lenses or something it might be a different story.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I like Canon's L series lenses like the 28-300 and 50 F1.2. Like I said, I also really like Nikon's 3d tracking so I'm beginning to think Nikon still wins out even with the discount.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

namaste faggots posted:

I like Canon's L series lenses
A good and correct opinion.

quote:

like the 28-300

A, uh, less good and very much not correct opinion :stonklol:
(The whole point of a superzoom is to not carry a heavy expensive lens, the 28-300 is loving heavy and expensive, unless you have specific reasons like "i don't want to break my gear every time i change lenses in a sandstorm, and boy do i shoot a lot in sandstorms" you should just get the 80D with e.g. a 17-55 and a 70-300)

quote:

and 50 F1.2.
Well, I guess all is not lost :v:

quote:

Like I said, I also really like Nikon's 3d tracking so I'm beginning to think Nikon still wins out even with the discount.
Unless you're about to seriously invest into big heavy expensive lenses, or want some specific lens/other thing that's not available for Nikon, I wouldn't bother switching. Some newer Canon glass might be a bit better than Nikon equivalents, but Nikon probably will leapfrog Canon in the next lens refresh anyway, etc.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Apart from being heavy, what don't you like about the 28-300L?

Ive got the Nikkor 28-300 and I carry it everywhere. Yeah it's unwieldy but the versatility is great especially when hunting down your kid. I just wish it took pictures as well as my 50mm.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol holy poo poo the 28-300L weighs twice as much as the Nikkor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

namaste faggots posted:

Lol holy poo poo the 28-300L weighs twice as much as the Nikkor.

Yeah, and it costs like three times as much. It's an incredibly niche lens, and I'm not surprised that nobody else sells anything comparable.