Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I played Prison Architect throughout the development. It had a lot of promise but they cut it off way too early and said "this is finished" when it clearly was not, because they wanted to work on other things. The result isn't fun because you don't have any expectation of there being more to come, and it's transparent how bare it all is.

It's also not even one millionth as moddable as Rimworld. So it basically got completely shafted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

DogonCrook posted:

While the steam sale is going on, are there any other games like this anybody would recommend? Im really digging this game more than i thought i would. Ive got clockwork empires and prison architect. I havent tried clockwork yet and PA is really good if anybody somehow missed it. I guess banished is sorta in this vein but its really easy and there arent any events or raids or anything to shake it up. Its probably pretty cheap in the sale, but dont expect too much out of it. After you find the formula to succeed thats pretty much it.

I don't know if you're up on the drama, but clockwork empires was only like half finished when the developer folded up. There's a good game in there, somewhere, but the development process was a comedy of errors and the product we're left with isn't super great.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Prison Architect was pretty fun but desperately needed a campaign bunch of of levels with challenges attached, similar to sim hospital. Really, they should have just copied that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

If you like RimWorld, especially with the Cthulhu mod, check out Judgment: Apocalypse. It's a modern-day post-apocalyptic survival game where the world has been invaded by demons. Similar to RimWorld, you build and manage a colony of survivors and defend against regular demon attacks, but unlike RimWorld (vanilla) you can also perform occult research to unlock spells and rituals.

The game as a whole is not as deep and detailed as RimWorld (e.g. you can't have your guys' second left toe blown off by a stray bullet in combat), but some aspects of the game (such as world exploration) are better hashed out. I've gotten kinda burned out on RW to be honest, and Judgment: Apocalypse scratches a similar itch without feeling like it's the same game.

I made a super popular thread about it if you want more info.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Oxygen Not Included is the obvious next colony simulator. Or hell, go back and play Dwarf Fortress if you're feeling brave! DF never gets old.

Oxygen Not Included is early access and and is conspicuously missing a tutorial, for whatever that's worth. But it's Klei, and I'll give Klei the benefit of the doubt on just about anything.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I thoughy prison architect was pretty good but i haven't really played it that much either. I think its worth 2 or 3 runs taking different approaches, and messing around with breakout is amusing in short bursts. On sale i think its a good value. Rimworld is a bit of a diamond in the rough i guess, the only other one i can think of is the spacestation whatever from doublefine and that was a disaster too.

Sucks about clockwork empires. I have to admit the pitch was some big talk so im not surprised it turned out that way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I played Prison Architect throughout the development. It had a lot of promise but they cut it off way too early and said "this is finished" when it clearly was not, because they wanted to work on other things. The result isn't fun because you don't have any expectation of there being more to come, and it's transparent how bare it all is.

It's also not even one millionth as moddable as Rimworld. So it basically got completely shafted.

their new product was too esoteric to sell well so they're back on PA now, actually. i don't disagree though, i made a repeatable 60-man mini prison that was pretty much perfect and i was able to duplicate it up to 600 inmates, so i figured i'd beaten the game at that point.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

Oxygen Not Included is the obvious next colony simulator. Or hell, go back and play Dwarf Fortress if you're feeling brave! DF never gets old.

Oxygen Not Included is early access and and is conspicuously missing a tutorial, for whatever that's worth. But it's Klei, and I'll give Klei the benefit of the doubt on just about anything.

I played ONI. Great little game, but there is very little content currently. I'd say it will be a pro buy on Thanksgiving sale.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Prison Architect is good but yeah, not anything like Rimworld other than the art style. It does still feel a bit unfinished but at $7.50 on sale it's a good buy.

Rimworld's no-sales-and-price-will-only-ever-go-up policy is... sure something.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Garfu posted:

Nope they were all working on stuff. I got completely rid of that farm and now things seem fine... weird how that was happening but I wasn't getting any log spam or anything. :shrug:

Do you have a standing low priority item repair job anywhere? Saw that with an old mod that caused it to continuously check all available clothing for wear percentages

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

hailthefish posted:

Rimworld's no-sales-and-price-will-only-ever-go-up policy is... sure something.

Yeah, Tyran is being very arrogant and stupid. Steam sales have been shown to increase developer revenues massively, especially for indie titles.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/57308/valve-left-4-dead-half

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/174587/Steam_sales_How_deep_discounts_really_affect_your_games.php

I mean, don't get me wrong, RimWorld already seems very popular. But he is missing out on a major spike in sales.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

enraged_camel posted:

I mean, don't get me wrong, RimWorld already seems very popular. But he is missing out on a major spike in sales.

Which in turn increase word of mouth, etc., etc.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Rimworld: Tynan is being very arrogant and stupid

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Heffer posted:

Do you have a standing low priority item repair job anywhere? Saw that with an old mod that caused it to continuously check all available clothing for wear percentages

Could have been something like that. It started shortly after that old farm caught on fire.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Gadzuko posted:

Rimworld: Tynan is being very arrogant and stupid

I assume he had some rationale... Maybe since dev is going to continue for a while, he's worried about giving up "inevitable" sales at a discount that would achieve all that revenue and word of mouth later. I know real sales predictions don't usually work that way...sale in the hand, etc. It's not usually good to promote unfinished products. People check out before EA ends and misjudge the game. Usually better to leave it open to the enthusiastic and masochistic.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Except that's an argument for not doing early access at all, instead of what Tynan's doing, which is early access at 30 loving USD, no sales ever, and a promise the price will never go down. That's not 'keeping people from checking it out before it's done and misjudging it', that's trying to hard sell people into buying it ASAP because what if it's 40 bucks next year!!!

:lol:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I've given this game away for free to so many people, then again I paid for it because I played it a lot when someone gave it to me for free :shrug:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I know the $30 price tag made me hesitate when buying. I only pulled the trigger after a coworker talked me into it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
E: nm this whole discussion is dumb

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 28, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ILL Machina posted:

I assume he had some rationale... Maybe since dev is going to continue for a while, he's worried about giving up "inevitable" sales at a discount that would achieve all that revenue and word of mouth later. I know real sales predictions don't usually work that way...sale in the hand, etc. It's not usually good to promote unfinished products. People check out before EA ends and misjudge the game. Usually better to leave it open to the enthusiastic and masochistic.
It's got a rationale in that he doesn't have a roadmap with an end. He's planning to stop either when he's bored of the concept or when sales dry up. To that end, "I don't want to drive down price expectations without a set date to enter tailing sales" is a valid observation. The questionable take away from that is "no sales ever" though because the textbook response is "well put an end on your road map to plan out your sale scheme"

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I do prefer his sales tactics to the usual indie cycle of promising everything, making loads of money and then giving up. Also allowing mods was very cool and good.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

zedprime posted:

It's got a rationale in that he doesn't have a roadmap with an end. He's planning to stop either when he's bored of the concept or when sales dry up.
he actually has a feature set that he has in mind and updates occasionally, he talks about it freely on the ludeon forums. not all of the features are in, which is precisely why it's still called an alpha despite having more mechanics than many full games. that is, in fact, the industry accepted way to use 'alpha' - a runnable version of a program that does not yet have all of its features. a beta is supposed to be feature-complete and in testing. do you actually have a reason for stating this or is it just joining in on fashionable dev bashing for the the gorillionth time

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Both Factorio and Rimworld are two of the most successful early access indie games ever and they both have yet to have a sale. Their reviews are super solid and skew heavily towards hardcore fans who paid full price for an unfinished game.

Personally I don't see the point in putting your product in the bargain bin before it's even finished, unless you desperately need cash or attention now. Discounts are best done after the game's been out for a while and only the long tail of marginal cheapskate customers remain.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Coolguye posted:

he actually has a feature set that he has in mind and updates occasionally, he talks about it freely on the ludeon forums. not all of the features are in, which is precisely why it's still called an alpha despite having more mechanics than many full games. that is, in fact, the industry accepted way to use 'alpha' - a runnable version of a program that does not yet have all of its features. a beta is supposed to be feature-complete and in testing. do you actually have a reason for stating this or is it just joining in on fashionable dev bashing for the the gorillionth time
He has a list of features he think would be interesting, which is about all the hard work away from being a roadmap.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Both Factorio and Rimworld are two of the most successful early access indie games ever and they both have yet to have a sale. Their reviews are super solid and skew heavily towards hardcore fans who paid full price for an unfinished game.

Personally I don't see the point in putting your product in the bargain bin before it's even finished, unless you desperately need cash or attention now. Discounts are best done after the game's been out for a while and only the long tail of marginal cheapskate customers remain.

Since we are comparing RimWorld and Factorio, I love the way Factorio's developers frequently update their game (we are talking changes/features/fixes every few days) and talk about the work they do behind the scenes.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=427520

Night and day compared to RimWorld's once-every-six-months content patches.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

zedprime posted:

He has a list of features he think would be interesting, which is about all the hard work away from being a roadmap.

Lol so that's a no to a reason then

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

enraged_camel posted:

Since we are comparing RimWorld and Factorio, I love the way Factorio's developers frequently update their game (we are talking changes/features/fixes every few days) and talk about the work they do behind the scenes.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=427520

Night and day compared to RimWorld's once-every-six-months content patches.
Factorio is a proper company at this point with 10+ staff.

I think Ludeon is like 3 people.

That said, the Factorio code production practices do look healthier -- automated testing, etc. That makes more frequent releases much easier.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I am perfectly happy paying 30 bucks for a game I have put 100+ hours into. I do understand why someone would want to buy something like this on sale but it's not one of those super buggy early access games so I'd say it's definitely worth the asking price.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Factorio is a proper company at this point with 10+ staff.

I think Ludeon is like 3 people.

That's what surprises me. RimWorld has over 10,000 reviews on Steam, which must mean over half a million copies sold. That's roughly $10 million revenue for Ludeon and they only have 3 people.

Heck, even at $1 million revenue, most people would go, "drat, I need to turn this into an actual, serious business now."

But hey, if I had that much money I'd retire early and enjoy alcoholic beverages at a beach somewhere... so who knows.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I honestly feel like rimworld should be more popular than it is. Passing on steam sales is also passing on advertising and you cant really seperate the two nowadays. Being taken off that rotation on steam seems delirious. I can certainly understand taking a different view on sales or whatever but he could hold it down to 5% off or something. I have no doubt steam would highlight it even at a poo poo discount just because of its popularity, so not even taking a smidge off to get that reward kinda strikes me as being a stubborn idiot.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

DogonCrook posted:

I honestly feel like rimworld should be more popular than it is.

it's a pretty niche game. most people look at the 'graphics' and nope out immediately

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Coolguye posted:

Lol so that's a no to a reason then
We are talking about the same forum posts he makes. He was this close to bumping it to beta and getting ready to release because he was so burned out from the crunch to get it on Steam but felt better after vacation and kept developing.

He'll roadmap a patch at a time with features he enjoys working on. Which is probably the coolest method to continuously develop a game if you have the financial stability for it. But it's not hyperbole to say there is no real plans to a release because his criteria is based on burnout or running out of operating funds.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Efexeye posted:

it's a pretty niche game. most people look at the 'graphics' and nope out immediately

I doubt that's the case. Niche games don't get over 10,000 reviews on Steam. Furthermore, "poo poo graphics" is a feature these days.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zedprime posted:

We are talking about the same forum posts he makes. He was this close to bumping it to beta and getting ready to release because he was so burned out from the crunch to get it on Steam but felt better after vacation and kept developing.

He'll roadmap a patch at a time with features he enjoys working on. Which is probably the coolest method to continuously develop a game if you have the financial stability for it. But it's not hyperbole to say there is no real plans to a release because his criteria is based on burnout or running out of operating funds.

The funny thing is that he could polish the world map gameplay a bit more over the next month or two and call the game done, and most people would find that fair.

But yes, I agree with your assessment.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

zedprime posted:

hahah he was going to go beta and was talked out of it by the community dude, it wasn't an arbitrary decision

toady could have gone beta and release on dwarf fortress years ago, why hasn't he? because sometimes ideas are big and that's okay.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Efexeye posted:

I was thinking kerbal, or ck2 levels of hype. They are niche i guess but everyone has a general knowledge of what they are and they pull people in that would not normally buy that genre. I dont see why rimworld couldnt achieve that. Its got a lot of the magic ck2 does but its way easier to sort of do your own thing playstyle wise. Its one of those games thats fun reading about as much as playing but unlike dwarf fortress or eve or ck2 you can hop right in. I mean most people that have played mobile games are familiar with every concept here and on easy its basically a gritty sims. I guess im not really talking sales because i have no idea how any of these games did, just general hype and press.

It also has a false reputation as super hard game and thats just one way to play it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Coolguye posted:

hahah he was going to go beta and was talked out of it by the community dude, it wasn't an arbitrary decision

toady could have gone beta and release on dwarf fortress years ago, why hasn't he? because sometimes ideas are big and that's okay.
Tynan gets to develop how he wants to develop cause he's got the cash money from having the right product at the right time. But remember my original point is leaving a hard release in the future means you can't plan sales and not bring able to plan sales in the current game market puts you at a disadvantage. If he had a set date in mind to hard release he could do something like incremental 10-20% sales to get Steam banner exposure and then hard release with a 25% release discount.

enraged_camel posted:

The funny thing is that he could polish the world map gameplay a bit more over the next month or two and call the game done, and most people would find that fair.

But yes, I agree with your assessment.
He could have hard released after going on Steam and it'd have been a perfectly fine game. At a certain point my argument is Tynan isn't loving us hard enough because there is a sales model compatible with continuous development. With MMOs and Paradox Design Studios games they hard release with a plan to work an unknown number of years. They monetize it in a way that base game can get cheaper by releasing expansions/dlc. It wouldn't have been a huge leap to hard release when it went on Steam and release 1 or 2 DLCs that would have encompassed a couple each of the alpha patches we got free.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's not how MMOs make long term money any more except for WOW. I don't exactly disagree with your point but the age of the twenty dollar expansion pack has been over for like ten years for MMOs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Flesh Forge posted:

That's not how MMOs make long term money any more except for WOW. I don't exactly disagree with your point but the age of the twenty dollar expansion pack has been over for like ten years for MMOs.
That's more because MMOs are over. The two big enough to pull a sub release expansions still. And even then sell cosmetic dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I wouldn't say they're over, but the time of the monthly subscription model ended about 10 years ago too. There's a whole bunch of MMO money being made, but it's off of store transactions in F2P games. Even old rear end poo poo like Second Life still makes a lot of money.