Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
is Chip Engelland III a bad enough dude to turn MCW into a good NBA player
or will he be on hand to fix Derrick Rose or Ricky Rubio
either way I'm glad the Warriors weren't successful when they tried to headhunt him, gently caress you guys we got Steve Kerr's SON. try that Zaza poo poo again and Pop is givin the SIGNAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Niwrad posted:

Pacers should be playing hardball. With Butler off the market, they have more leverage.

Does BOS have their own pick next year? If PG is going to re-sign with them, I'd want two firsts for next year and a 2019 pick that BOS has.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

pubic works project posted:

Does BOS have their own pick next year? If PG is going to re-sign with them, I'd want two firsts for next year and a 2019 pick that BOS has.

They have a swap with Brooklyn.

The LAL/SAC pick is good but I'd want Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, or the Brooklyn pick with it. And if Boston wasn't willing to part with one of those for Paul George than gently caress them.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Niwrad posted:

The LAL/SAC pick is good but I'd want Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, or the Brooklyn pick with it. And if Boston wasn't willing to part with one of those for Paul George than gently caress them.

I'd do both picks, Tatum and Crowder. Maybe the MEM 2019 too.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

I was just going off of dunced on podcast

I hope the sixers can get him for cheap. Would be ideal.

I'd rather nail my balls to hot pavement than see Carmelo on this team.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Niwrad posted:

No, next year they own the nets pick outright, unprotected, no swap.

I think if they can keep that Nets pick, Brown, Tatum, and have assurances it won't be a one and done for George, that's a good deal for BOS

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Squinky v2.0 posted:

No, next year they own the nets pick outright, unprotected, no swap.

I think if they can keep that Nets pick, Brown, Tatum, and have assurances it won't be a one and done for George, that's a good deal for BOS

I'm tweeting at KP right now to rake Ainge over the coals! Time for the trade rapist to get taken advantage of!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Squinky v2.0 posted:

It's an amazing deal for Boston which is why the Pacers should not take it. If Ainge isn't willing to give up one of those nice assets to have a contender next year, let him face the wrath of Boston fans.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
The Pacers have zero leverage and it would be stupid for any team to trade a lot of assets to the Pacers especially because you'll gut your team and in the end make it less likely that he re-signs instead of just going to LA.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Adun posted:

The Pacers have zero leverage and it would be stupid for any team to trade a lot of assets to the Pacers especially because you'll gut your team and in the end make it less likely that he re-signs instead of just going to LA.

How is trading an unproven player in Tatum and an albatross of an contract in Crowder, plus two of the picks that Ainge has stockpiled gutting a team?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Crowder's contract is the stuff that GM's dreams are made of.

It just doesn't really make sense for the Pacers if they are rebuilding, BUT I imagine he could be traded elsewhere pretty easily.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

How is trading an unproven player in Tatum and an albatross of an contract in Crowder, plus two of the picks that Ainge has stockpiled gutting a team?

Crowder has one of the best conracts in the NBA hahah

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Spacebump posted:

For a few years in 2k I used to try to make teams of all 3s. The rosters would include Iggy/Marion/LeBron/PG(before he was as good as he is now)/Melo and filling the bench with lesser 3s. It was hilarious.

A team of all Prime Iggys irl might be able to make the East playoffs. (Especially if you have 12 Iggys so they can sprint at all times.) They would probably get destroyed in the playoffs when they faced a team with both good coaching and good bigs.

Their offense would obviously suck, but I think they'd be incredible switching everything on D. Plus when they generate turnovers it'd be hard to communicate who you are guarding in transition when every opposing player is a clone of each other

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

*that entire series of david thorpe roasts about j herdren's shoes*

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

He, arguably, has the best contract in the league other than Covington.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ainge is seemingly in love with Tatum and Crowder's contract is the opposite of an albatross.

More importantly, the Pacers have little leverage and it's not like there's anyone else that's reasonably bidding against the Celtics.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He, arguably, has the best contract in the league other than Covington.

Isaiah's has been pretty incredible too

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Adun posted:

I'd rather wait it out, hope George makes All-NBA, and offer him a bigger contract than anyone else can than give him up for a poo poo sandwich.

Pacers leverage is whether Boston wants to compete for an NBA Championship or have Lebron curbstomp them again in the playoffs. Celtics have a nice little window right now where they can make a run.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Well drat. Okay well I don't know who I'm thinking of. I have no idea why I thought his contract was bad.

It always seems like Ainge is trying to trade him!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i would submit that steph curry has the best contract

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/fentyy/status/879804731329323010

https://twitter.com/Enes_Kanter/status/879823062677544960

:allears:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Well drat. Okay well I don't know who I'm thinking of. I have no idea why I thought his contract was bad.

It always seems like Ainge is trying to trade him!

Eh, it's only recently because the top guys Ainge is targeting are small forwards and he just drafted a bunch of small forwards and he's going to be the easiest person to trade for cap space. Whatever team gets him is lucky

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

"Can a starting five of James, Kyrie Irving, Anthony, Wade and George work?" :laffo:
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-lebron-james-bringing-152635252.html

I finished looking at shooting in the finals. This covers 1951 - 2017. 67 years of data and nearly 1,500 finals seasons.

The top and bottom 1%:

code:
NP	Player			Year
49.96	Kevin Durant		2017
40.76	Michael Jordan		1992
38.84	Adrian Dantley		1988
38.52	Magic Johnson		1988
37.24	LeBron James		2014
36.36	James Worthy		1984
35.8	Ray Allen		2008
35.36	Kevin Durant		2012
35.2	Jerry West		1966
34.8	Kevin McHale		1985
34.72	LeBron James		2017
31.76	Kevin McHale		1986
31.56	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1985
31.44	Julius Erving		1977
31.08	Shaquille O'Neal	2002

-26.4	Elgin Baylor		1959
-26.92	Bill Russell		1957
-27.08	Red Kerr		1955
-27.56	Kenyon Martin		2003
-27.64	Nate Thurmond		1967
-27.8	Bailey Howell		1969
-28.04	Joe Graboski		1956
-29	Paul Seymour		1955
-29.24	Guy Rodgers		1964
-30.76	Jerry West		1972
-31.96	Bob Cousy		1957
-33.92	Jim Loscutoff		1957
-37.24	Patrick Ewing		1994
-40.16	Woody Sauldsberry	1961
-41.12	Bob Cousy		1960
Patrick Ewing was awful in 1994. I remember seeing a documentary and he said he felt like there was an invisible lid on the rim but I didn't know it was nearly the worst in NBA history.

I listened to New York calls of those games as a very young child who just got his own clock radio, I remember pacing back and forth and hoping to God that the knicks would keep winning and I remember the angst and misery of the New York callers after they blew it

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crowder is weird because I think his contract overvalues who he is. His contract is great but are you going to win a championship with him as a starter? And if he is a backup you're not getting the same value from that contract.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Crowder is weird because I think his contract overvalues who he is. His contract is great but are you going to win a championship with him as a starter? And if he is a backup you're not getting the same value from that contract.

Why wouldn't you be able to win a championship with him as a starter?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also the Pacers can and should say no if they don't get a good deal.

The Pacers leverage is the fact that they are literally holding up Boston's entire offseason as they can't do the Hayward stuff until the trade gets approval as I Heyward might make a different decision if no PG. As well as knowing that Boston can't sign him outright in free agency next year.

Mid year there will be offers for trades the Pacers can look into Maybe more desperate team. There isn't a need to do it now.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

I mean the fact that he hasn't actually been able to trade Crowder despite all of the noise probably means that the rest of the NBA doesn't really overvalue him

Dexo posted:

The Pacers leverage is the fact that they are literally holding up Boston's entire offseason as they can't do the Hayward stuff until the trade gets approval as I Heyward might make a different decision if no PG. As well as knowing that Boston can't sign him outright in free agency next year.

Mid year there will be offers for trades the Pacers can look into Maybe more desperate team. There isn't a need to do it now.

No one is going to trade for Paul George mid-season for a half-season rental because there's even less time to convince him to stay. Further, everything out of Indiana has said that they're trying to trade PG by July.

Adun fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 28, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wouldn't it benefit LA to get PG now as opposed to later for cap purposes? I'd imagine Indy has decent leverage since if you try to lowball too much Magic will counter

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If JJ Barea can win a championship as a starter, anyone can

If Mario Chalmers as a starter can win two championships, anyone can

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dexo posted:

I doubt there'll be teams with as good a chance to win as Boston if they lock him and Hayward up. Like none, so he's back to square L.A., if that's his dream.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WhyteRyce posted:

Wouldn't it benefit LA to get PG now as opposed to later for cap purposes? I'd imagine Indy has decent leverage since if you try to lowball too much Magic will counter

You want Paul George to sign for free, so you can use the assets that would be used in a trade for him to dump salary so you can sign Lebron's max

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'd rather nail my balls to hot pavement than see Carmelo on this team.

Yea Melo is a cool guy and watching him flip the bird to Phil is funny but I'd rather watch him play somewhere else.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Okay which one of you is the spy?!?!?

Dokmo is Magic? :monocle:

Wait, that isn't right

*erases entire whiteboard*

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
When you acquire Melo, you're not just acquiring his basketball skills. You're acquiring a digital lifestyle brand.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Metapod posted:

Why wouldn't you be able to win a championship with him as a starter?

I just think you need great to elite wings to win a championship, not above average ones. I think what you saw Lebron do to him in the Conference Finals is why it's tough.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Adun posted:

I mean the fact that he hasn't actually been able to trade Crowder despite all of the noise probably means that the rest of the NBA doesn't really overvalue him

What? The only noise about an imminent Crowder ship-out started when the news about the cap being smaller than expected came out. They'll have no problem whatsoever moving him when they chose to. Prior to that any and all trade rumors involving Crowder have been as an asking piece for a PG or Butler trade

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You can win a championship with Crowder as a starter, you just need to fill the rest of the starter spots with MVP caliber players.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Niwrad posted:

A team won a Finals starting JJ Barea at the 2 so I think you can win a Finals starting Crowder.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Everyone thinking Hayward is going to sign with Boston is seriously discounting the effect of Miami investing heavily in eSports

http://www.espn.com.au/esports/story/_/id/18444193/miami-heat-invest-esports-misfits

Hayward will play out his days in Miami then transition to being a League of Legends coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EMC posted:

Everyone thinking Hayward is going to sign with Boston is seriously discounting the effect of Miami investing heavily in eSports

http://www.espn.com.au/esports/story/_/id/18444193/miami-heat-invest-esports-misfits

Hayward will play out his days in Miami then transition to being a League of Legends coach

NA LCS summer finals are in Boston... at the TD Garden... Danny can slip him box seats. Just a cool couple of box seats.

• Locked thread