Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I was not able to get into this season, I felt like I kept waiting for it to 'get good' and it never really did. It never gave me a reason to like any of the characters and it felt like everything went nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I was not able to get into this season, I felt like I kept waiting for it to 'get good' and it never really did. It never gave me a reason to like any of the characters and it felt like everything went nowhere.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Agreed.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

KoRMaK posted:

You're out of your mind.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Ray Wise did in no loving way age 27 years since the original Twin Peaks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Maldoror posted:

Heh.

Ray's a kitten.

:3

Ray's going to starve to death as a kitten when Nikki never comes home :(

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Ray's going to starve to death as a kitten when Nikki never comes home :(

I thought Paul Marraine (Ray Wise's character) was keeping kitten Ray.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's this. Someone in the IRS or the FBI is on Varga's payroll, they went out of their way to show us that. And Varga may be a liar, but why would he "lie" to Gloria about being released? It's not as if he can intimidate her into doing anything dumb the way he did with Emmitt.

If the actual content of the season is valuable at all to story, Varga walks. If not, then we might as well imagine that Gloria just murders him right there in the cell or a meteorite hits the holding facility.

I thought Nikki sent that text, since it was pefect timing to get him to panic right when the gang was spread out, he was isolated, and the downstairs guys killed.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Ya she gave it back and told him to put out a saucer of beer whenever the gophers were playing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Without going back and rewatching the episode...why did Paul meet up with Gloria?

He gave Nikki an assignment and saved her to fight another day. But what purpose did talking with Gloria do except to generate fan speculation?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Krispy Kareem posted:

Without going back and rewatching the episode...why did Paul meet up with Gloria?

He gave Nikki an assignment and saved her to fight another day. But what purpose did talking with Gloria do except to generate fan speculation?

i think it was to make it clear he was otherworldly in some form and thats it idk the writing this season was a mess

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm curious, did anyone binge the season instead of watching it every week? While I enjoyed it I understand people's complaints and I wonder what people who watched it all at once think.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Well I guess Ray will be happy eating garmonbozia in the Black Lodge for eternity.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!
All season long, I was trying to figure out where I recognized Chief Moe from. Then I realized that he's the cop in the video for Close Your Eyes (and Count to gently caress).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkGwI7nGehA

THE ONLY THING THEY CLOSE QUICKER THAN OUR CASKETS BE THE FACTORIES!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You might also know him from Boardwalk Empire.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Grem posted:

You might also know him from Boardwalk Empire.

And he was the Chief in Agent Carter Season 1 as well.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

anime was right posted:

i think it was to make it clear he was otherworldly in some form and thats it idk the writing this season was a mess

Ray Wise is awesome and I wish they gave him more to do this season than be Quirky And Mysterious Force Of Nature Character #237

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Ray Wise's character is merely another facet of the theme of this season, that many things are both real and not real. We saw him early on as a real person and then later on as an ethereal person. Go back and read someone's post about this but it's essentially an explanation for a lot of "why the gently caress" in this season and I don't like it and it's dumb.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
Just watched the last episode of season 3, and I'm in the "not as good as the first two seasons, but still really good" camp. I liked Nikki and Gloria a lot, thought Ewan McGregor did a fine job in his dual roles, and I also really enjoyed Thewlis' performance as Varga. And it was good to see Mr. Wrench again.

I will go on record as saying that the entire bowling alley sequence with Ray Wise, from the time Nikki and Wrench first arrived to the moment Yuri was confronted with past sins (both his own, with Helga, and the sins of his Cossack ancestors), was some of the best television ever.

E: Also I just read this interview with Noah Hawley and I thought this was an interesting tidbit:

quote:

And I have a good sense of why Nikki can't let get of what Emmit did, but why do you think Mr. Wrench can't let go?

Well, I mean, he probably fell in love with her a little bit, don't you think? Wouldn't you? The last time we saw Mr. Wrench [in the present], his partner had been killed and it was clear that that was meaningful to him. I firmly believe that if Malvo had lived, he would have seen Mr. Wrench again. I do feel like there's a degree to which he fell in with Nikki and then, at the end of it, Nikki showed him she was an honorable person. He kept all the money and she just wanted justice and she never got that justice. So I think that to the degree that he had any kind of code, he was coming. One way or another.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 28, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
The Coen Bros and Fargo the TV show remind me of Seinfeld. I think it's mostly because normal situations get out of control and it always ends mid-resolution.

George: It's not stealing. I'm freeing the stamp. I'm liberating it! The stamp belongs to me!
Jerry: Come on, don't steal the stamp.
George: I'm stealin' the stamp Jerry!

20 minutes later

Jerry: Well I hope you're happy. Six people dead, 200 million dollars missing, and a priceless 2 cent stamp that's worthless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B9PAIMvce8

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It was a really good season but I wish they didn't do the Lord of War ending. Also I feel like Mary Elizabeth Weinsted's character woulda shot at Emmit over the state trooper.

I'm also not sure if they meant to do it but the clock was unrealistic at the end. Like the hour hand was way too far up between the 8 and the 9 for it to be fifteen minutes past.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Doltos posted:

It was a really good season but I wish they didn't do the Lord of War justified ending.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm ultimately okay with the ambiguous ending since that was the theme of the season, but I feel like it needed just a little punch right at that climax instead of staring at the clock. Maybe footsteps coming down the hall, you see the POV of whoever's coming, a hand reaches for the handle and the door starts to swing open, then black with the credits.

With the slow pace of the clock shot, it just kinda whimpers out, resulting in some viewers (at least the people I was watching with) going, "uhhh, that's it?!"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just watching episode 3, but am I missing something with the timeline? The grandpa was 80 years old, but he seemed much younger than 45 years old in the flashback segment.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Doltos posted:

Also I feel like Mary Elizabeth Weinsted's character woulda shot at Emmit over the state trooper.

She did, but he ducked, so she shot the state trooper over Emmit

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

Just watching episode 3, but am I missing something with the timeline? The grandpa was 80 years old, but he seemed much younger than 45 years old in the flashback segment.

You age much faster in a dry, desolate, inhospitable climate. Otherwise known as Obi-Wan effect.

That's not an entirely serious answer, but I have family in Vermont and their skin is terrible from the dry air in winter. So I'm going to go with it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Up to episode 8 now, and it annoys me how these previously cold and calculating criminals are now using more and more extreme supervillain tactics that is anything but subtle. First they risk exposing themselves by attempting to poison Nikki inside a jail cell, and when that fails they decided to overturn a loving prison bus, which is gonna attact more attention than the sum of everything that has happened so far in the season.

All of this because they gave up a chance to kill her when they were in the perfect position to do so in the motel because...reasons?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

Up to episode 8 now, and it annoys me how these previously cold and calculating criminals are now using more and more extreme supervillain tactics that is anything but subtle. First they risk exposing themselves by attempting to poison Nikki inside a jail cell, and when that fails they decided to overturn a loving prison bus, which is gonna attact more attention than the sum of everything that has happened so far in the season.

All of this because they gave up a chance to kill her when they were in the perfect position to do so in the motel because...reasons?

It feels like there's a director's cut with some extra storyline. Like when Nikki saw something in that crime scene photo that interested the hell out of her. Since those photos would likely have been scanned on a computer, l33t Varga could have spotted something he missed and decided on killing Nikki after they had decided to let her live.

It's like we lost about 20 minutes of exposition somewhere. Which of course is impossible because FX would give Hawley all the time he needed to explain what's going on. So who the gently caress knows.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ymgve posted:

Meemo had to leave to clean up Ray's body, and I can only guess that Gloria turning around got the cops to the motel sooner than Varga was expecting. It's not explained very well.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
One nitpick I have is that they had to spell out the "I feel like I don't exist" bit. You could've had Winnie hug Gloria and make her feel worthwhile and then electronic things start working for her. I'd like to think they're usually a bit more subtle than just saying it out loud.

To be honest though, up to that point I thought the automatic doors not opening for her meant the world left her and her small town values behind and she's stuck in the past when it comes to things like truth and justice.

vermin fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 30, 2017

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
"Well, OK then" - my reaction to Fargo Season 3.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

"Well, OK then" - my reaction to Fargo Season 3.

A lot of good that does us without being able to hear you say it :rolleyes:

Well, OK Then is the saltine cracker of comments: you add your own topping and that changes the flavor fundamentally

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I feel it's intentionally ambiguous if Varga was part of a larger organization or not. My opinion went back and forth on the matter a few times as we were shown more of Varga's operation.

At the beginning Varga wanted to give the impression he was just a cog in the machine of a giant criminal enterprise(Narwhal), he worked hard at giving off this impression to basically all of the other characters he interacted with.

There was no reason to doubt that he was just a cog until we were shown that Varga lived in and operated out of the super hacker truck. When that was revealed I thought, "Holy poo poo, the whole operation is just Varga, the Chinamen(preferred nomenclature) and the Russian?"

Varga does have some high up government officials working with him, most likely blackmailed and or bribed by Varga into doing so. But that's not evidence on it's own of a higher boss and organization over Varga.

By the end of the season my final impression is that Varga and his 2 Capo's were formerly part of large organized international criminal organizations but had then branched out to work for themselves to specialize in these "leveraged" buy outs.

P.S. People are trolling about not knowing if Maruice killed the first Stussy right?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Without spoiling, do we ever find out the significance of the scene in episode 1 in East Germany?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Without spoiling, sorta.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Your Taint posted:

Without spoiling, do we ever find out the significance of the scene in episode 1 in East Germany?

There are several thematic/character tie ins.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Fog Tripper posted:

It was a decent season, save the omnipotent bad guys. Especially that idiocy about the deputy going back for his gun and the russian brain washing him or whatever the hell that was supposed to be.

The deputy was a pussy and a bit of a dolt, as every appearance he was in showed. He was intimidated, because he was a mild mannered pussy who probably never drew his gun on anyone let alone a hardened criminal who was daring him

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fartbox posted:

The deputy was a pussy and a bit of a dolt, as every appearance he was in showed. He was intimidated, because he was a mild mannered pussy who probably never drew his gun on anyone let alone a hardened criminal who was daring him

But he never thought to mention the occurrence to Gloria.

I would add the oddity of taking a handgun out of a holster and laying it on a counter. As a concealed carrier (licensed) it is on the level of willful idiocy. I would have to make a clear decision to do something that odd, unless I was in the midst of field stripping it for cleaning. Sorry if this sounds like a gun sperg, but it really is odd. Hell, I wouldn't even do that at home.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 3, 2017

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i liked the part where the chief is super smug about catching the real serial killer and doesnt remember that 3 months earlier for the same case he threw gory murder photos into the face of the victim's parolee girlfriend and said "I'll leave this with you so you can admire your work" because he knew she was the murderer and was a huge rear end about it to gloria

i was 100% certain about a thing, now im 100% certain about a mutually exclusive thing with no acknowledgement that i traumatized and jailed an innocent person who is now the target of a manhunt based on my actions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LentThem posted:

i was 100% certain about a thing, now im 100% certain about a mutually exclusive thing

To be fair, this is thematically consistent with the rest of the season.

• Locked thread