Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

"I think carrera from viper gts is cool and strong and powerful and I wanna go to a con cosplaying as her some day."

i think the tentacle monster from ultimate fairy fantasy vol 2 ~invasion on forest~ is cool and strong and powerful and i wanna go to a con cosplaying as it some day

that said if i was gonna cosplay anything i guess it would be guzma because basically all i have to do is dye my hair white, finally a character i can pass as naturally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
*In general pepper voice* Good Luck

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
My sister said she wants to cosplay Rohan

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Toad should sound like Joe Pesci

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
toad should sound like yul brynner

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I didn't realize Yul and Joe were into sounding

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

I didn't realize Yul and Joe were into sounding

:gonk:

Whyyyyyyy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive cosplayed as a melty blood character but sadly not my main because my main is a 7'2'' guy

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

all I'm hearing is that you're too lazy to learn how to walk on stilts

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Endorph posted:

ive cosplayed as a melty blood character but sadly not my main because my main is a 7'2'' guy

I'm sure you could figure out some camera trickery to make yourself look shorter

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Sounds like she might like fan service

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Stexils posted:

not in how they dress, which is what the poster i was literally responding to with my first post was talking about

They actually can. "Agency" in terms of fictional characters, refers to the portrayal of a character making choices. Any story in which we a shown a character explicitly making a choice about what to wear is showing that agency.

While you don't see it a lot in video games, you see it in a movies and television a lot, where characters make costume choices to tell the viewer something about their character.

There's actually a whole thing in action movies where a woman will be wearing something designed to "blend in" to society's expectations, and then she will make a wardrobe modification for practicality as soon as the need arises, conveying that she, as a character, is both aware of the restrictiveness of her "expected clothing" and is choosing practicality over conformity or vanity.

The inverse of this also happens, when a character know for being practical "pretties themself up" for some event, and other characters act surprised that they can actually care about how they look and take pride in their appearance.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I remember this exact conversation happening in this exact forum almost exactly a decade ago. :corsair:

Back then there was a thread specifically for "social issues in games." It got closed repeatedly and swaths of people were banned and probated before things died down.

I guess it's good that the discussion can be more civil at least.

And I just noticed that a lot of people have regdates even earlier than me

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Toad was so cool before Mario Sunshine gave him that voice.

Gruff Brooklyn Toad is actually the best, same with Mario and Luigi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pq6X8UCgqc&t=338s

The Japanese version of Mario Kart 64 has different voice acting for several other characters, Japanese Wario is loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-pyMhUB6I4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Toad should sound like how Knack sounds

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Yo those girls are horses in the same way that Arthur is an aardvark.

I mean he is an aardvark, but he's not really an aardvark.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

who came up with these repeat missions on the same terrain in valk revolution, they are idiots, and should die

i dont know that you HAVE to do them but they are stupid

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember this exact conversation happening in this exact forum almost exactly a decade ago. :corsair:

Back then there was a thread specifically for "social issues in games." It got closed repeatedly and swaths of people were banned and probated before things died down.

I guess it's good that the discussion can be more civil at least.

And I just noticed that a lot of people have regdates even earlier than me

It was an interesting thread for a while and I learned some things from it, but yeah it went off the rails pretty quickly on both sides.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Pretty Derby actually getting an anime? I thought it was just a phone game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

somehow the thing that sticks out most vividly about that thread was all the people insanely mad about glados making fat jokes in portal 2 even though the entire point was that she was being pathetic and toothless

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Guy Mann posted:

The Japanese version of Mario Kart 64 has different voice acting for several other characters, Japanese Wario is loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWD88E6Arv0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
darkest dungeon is so extremely my poo poo it's ridiculous, i couldn't stop thinking about it all day at work

soooooo good!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

darkest dungeon is so extremely my poo poo it's ridiculous, i couldn't stop thinking about it all day at work

soooooo good!

Darkest Dungeon is a game that I'll probably never beat, can be a bit too hard for me with this type of game even in radiant mode, and I'm too lazy to really put a ton of thought into party comps, trinkets, etc etc.

But even with all that, I put like 35 hours into the game when it first came out and I've put like 15 more since picking it up again recently. The game is just so so fun, the animations and sound effects are so satisfying, and the narration never ever gets old. Like it's weird how so many things about that game would turn me off of the game but the core gameplay and the art direction and everything just make it work so well. I kind of wish it didn't come out in early access first because all the fanfare around it died off a lot once it officially released. Although with the radiant update alongside the Crimson Court stuff I'm seeing a ton of renewed interesting in the game. Which rules cause the game is great

Unrelated: All these years later and that goddamned demon wall in FF7 can still go to hell. Also I don't care about your sacrifice Cait Sith sorry buddy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also lol there sure are exactly five enemies

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If nothing else, Darkest Dungeon nails its presentation better than any other game I can think of.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

It was an interesting thread for a while and I learned some things from it, but yeah it went off the rails pretty quickly on both sides.

Agreed with both parts, there were some good posts and conversations in it

Like I still think the one about "default whiteness" in games primarily developed by Asians for Asian markets, and how white people think characters like Cloud from FF7 are obviously white but Japanese gamers don't see it that way, is loving fascinating because there's a whole lot going on there on both sides and people who treat things like that as if they're a settled issue either way are nuts

I sometimes wish there was still a thread like it and I once actively considered what the OP should look like and what rules it should lay out to avoid it becoming another shitpit and moderator nightmare, but it's not worth the trouble for me personally to try and manage

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

chumbler posted:

If nothing else, Darkest Dungeon nails its presentation better than any other game I can think of.

Yeah that's an huge part of it, the drat thing is a joy to play and watch. I do sometimes want an option to disable combat animations if I'm trying to twist off a quick Short run but that's such a minor complaint.

And yeah the narrator never gets old.

I also finally went back to Contradiction and while some of the connections you have to make are poorly worded, it's hilarious and just the right kind of cornball. Jenks rulz ok

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

Yeah that's an huge part of it, the drat thing is a joy to play and watch. I do sometimes want an option to disable combat animations if I'm trying to twist off a quick Short run but that's such a minor complaint.

And yeah the narrator never gets old.

I also finally went back to Contradiction and while some of the connections you have to make are poorly worded, it's hilarious and just the right kind of cornball. Jenks rulz ok

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Endorph posted:

somehow the thing that sticks out most vividly about that thread was all the people insanely mad about glados making fat jokes in portal 2 even though the entire point was that she was being pathetic and toothless

Are you sure this wasn't neogaf?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

So disappointed that none of them said "Yeah, it means rock on"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the main issue with that thread was the bad faith posters who would keep coming in with "just asking questions" and it would keep happening thread after thread

this was also at the height of that rear end in a top hat-phenomena we can't name when it seemed like there was an infinite amount of accounts people were willing to throw into the ban void to ruin discussion

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

in five hours i went from this game is pretty ok to this game is pretty bad, please dont buy valkyria revolution

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You could've watched two good movies in that time, like I did

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKdB13dZgpg

next week

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

the main issue with that thread was the bad faith posters who would keep coming in with "just asking questions" and it would keep happening thread after thread

this was also at the height of that rear end in a top hat-phenomena we can't name when it seemed like there was an infinite amount of accounts people were willing to throw into the ban void to ruin discussion

as someone who was in that thread people choosing the strangest things to define as the most sexist thing ever was also a huge problem, and also they'd immediately accuse you of sexism if you so much as thought to disagree with them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Every so often when I'm watching a stream or game video, I remember how many more movies I used to watch

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

as someone who was in that thread people choosing the strangest things to define as the most sexist thing ever was also a huge problem, and also they'd immediately accuse you of sexism if you so much as thought to disagree with them
i assume that much like a certain social media site a lot of the most active people were young people who aint been in the world long enough to truly know who to fight, how to fight, and what to fight for

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

You could have watched almost one whole hbomberguy video

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yo those girls are horses in the same way that Arthur is an aardvark.

I mean he is an aardvark, but he's not really an aardvark.

My favorite thing about that video is that each horse girl is a different barebones anime stereotype and there's like 30 of them crammed into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

i assume that much like a certain social media site a lot of the most active people were young people who aint been in the world long enough to truly know who to fight, how to fight, and what to fight for

i think there were also a lot of dumbasses

• Locked thread