Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I'm playing around with some other classes to give them a try. In the rogue storyline, I've watched a lalafell kill a guy by throwing a dagger at his groin heading inland, and a catgirl beat the poo poo out of the guildmaster and string him up for stealing her sandwich.

Limsa Lominsa as best city-state confirmed if the music wasn't hint enough.
Limsa is insanely good, and Merlwyb is the best character in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Run away to make it do less than Current Hp-1 damage.

I recommend against this since 1) there is no guaranteed damage coming out right after the hit so you aren't at risk of dying before the healer can get you, and 2) if you are right up next to him it's easier to dodge the 270 degree AoE that he uses shortly after the charge.

Fister Roboto posted:

Discerning Eye->Impulsive Appraisal->Discerning Eye->Impulsive Appraisal->Discerning Eye->Methodical Appraisal

Replace DE with Single Mind for every Impulsive proc you get, and upgrade to Impulsive Appraisal II when you get it.

That one is the one I still use for regular collectibles and it works great.

For Zhloe collectibles (which require a higher minimum collectability) I am doing DE > IA > DE > IA > Utmost Caution > MA > MA because it is literally identical to my old rotation except that Utmost Caution costs twice as much and provides twice the benefit. Yeah, there wasn't much reason to do that this last week, but it kind of looks like she might be offering yellow scrips once those unlock so I figured I should test it.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

I am level 23 and the only quest I have available is Sastasha, so am I basically stuck until I can get this done? I had a queue pop once, but the healer dropped out before we began and everyone abandoned the party.

I'll get in on this because I know for a fact no one will ever take me up on it, but message Azer Bahn on Excalibur if you need a lovely low level dungeon tanked sort of well.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TyrantWD posted:

I am level 23 and the only quest I have available is Sastasha, so am I basically stuck until I can get this done? I had a queue pop once, but the healer dropped out before we began and everyone abandoned the party.

If you want to be run through low level dungeons, just message me (Mordiceius Ketsumei) and I can always just speed run you through the dungeons unsynced (or we could do them at normal synced pace).

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

So which class has the best class quests?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Injuryprone posted:

Pugilist, Thaumaturge, Dark Knight 30-50.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Injuryprone posted:

Class? Pugilist. Job? Up in the air, lots of good ones. I'm a big fan of DRK, personally.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i remember having a soft spot for the rogue quests, a pack of limey thieves versus a cocky potato cop

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Only class story I've played to completion was conjurer. I enjoyed it pretty well once Sylphie started to grow as a character, but it's not for everyone - the story is about Sylphie's growth as a character, you the PC are just kinda there and implied to be Sylphie's teacher and/or substitute parent depending on what you want to read into it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

The AST class quest was.... kind of lame. Other than connecting Astrologians to Geomancers, the quest itself was.... just kinda boring. We didn't even get to go anywhere fun. We just ran around an empty Kugane. Other people were talking about going to old dungeons and poo poo, we just got Kugane. :smith:

The trade off is the AST NPC crew are the single best group in the game and are actually fun and memorable so just hanging out with them is WAY better than going to a bad old dungeon with some fucker you don't like.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The trade off is the AST NPC crew are the single best group in the game and are actually fun and memorable so just hanging out with them is WAY better than going to a bad old dungeon with some fucker you don't like.

The geomancer guy is a dweeby weirdo that probably macros messages to all of this abilities in dungeons.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Evil Fluffy posted:

The WoL and Scions are the dumbest people alive. It's just amazing really.
I dunno about the Scions, but for WoL it's merely insurance hedged against the day she runs out of gods to kill.

I'm barely into SB but there's got to be someone on the other side that feels the same way Tiny does.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I enjoyed rogue, conjuror, thaumaturge, and pugilist. Lancer had a good payoff at 30 despite being lackluster before then. Marauder is the only one that I would say is awful, just because gladiator at least surprised me with the instant-kill in one of the later quests.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I actually like the Marauder storyline for its simplicity. The whole story is "I need you to get strong enough to kill that." And that's what happens.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RDM is a good questline. Its the adventures of the Three Magical Musketeers vs Cults and Voidsent. Also X'Rhun is a cool guy and can do dungeon mechanics better than many players. He knows to stack on stack markers, can catch particle beam meteors, and other things.

The duty instance fights were all pretty cool too, I wish I could replay them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I can't think of any job NPCs I've met that I don't like so ???

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Better than Hilda and Rusty? UNLIKELY

Stephiviviaina I can take or leave.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 28, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

People talk a lot of poo poo about the ARR Monk quests, maybe rightfully idk, but I like the HW MNK line, feels like a kung fu movie plot which is pretty approptiate. Unfortunately the SB stuff feels like maybe they had a lot of things to say but not enough quests to say it in so all these big revelations just come and go super abruptly and aren't given enough time to sink in. hey its me the Griffin turns out Ilberd was just an imitator the real Griffin is Theodoric's son, hey Widargelt did you know you're also a rightful heir of the kingdom of Ala Mhigo, oh by the way I'm not actually Theodoric's son I was just pretending to be the Griffin I'm just your old training partner from the temple let's fight.

Up side: the return of Hamon Holyfist

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 28, 2017

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I meant jobs, whoops.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
I don't know about the other jobs but sumoner's job quests don't seem sustainable. All the other summoners have been dead for thousands of years, there's no one left to teach you. They can't keep pulling recovered allagan texts out of their rear end every expansion. I could be wrong, maybe you become the indisputable master of every job in sb, it still leaves the question of 'what do you do from here?'.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

FactsAreUseless posted:

Merlwyb is the best character in the game.

Not empty quoting.

Injuryprone posted:

Pugilist for best class, DRK for best job. Its 30-50 is cool as hell, the 50-60 is solid at worst, and the 60-70 has a finale that left me with a massive grin the entire time.

Oh yeah, and the 50-60 Monk stuff is great. Basically the two jobs trade off who's on top.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

macfam posted:

I don't know about the other jobs but sumoner's job quests don't seem sustainable. All the other summoners have been dead for thousands of years, there's no one left to teach you. They can't keep pulling recovered allagan texts out of their rear end every expansion. I could be wrong, maybe you become the indisputable master of every job in sb, it still leaves the question of 'what do you do from here?'.

We start delving into magiteck books clearly, or whatever tome is relevant for the next location of the next expansion since being able to summon Bahamut is a pretty high peak at the moment. Or we start inventing more new techniques since we literally made up Deathflare on the spot to blow up an Ascian.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Maybe I'm on the wrong side of history but AST to 60 was pretty boring to me compared to Tonberry boot camp.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

War storyline is about getting buff with curious gorge and then meeting his brother broken mountain at the hot springs. Then you get buff together. Bring lots of oil.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Bacontotem posted:

War storyline is about getting buff with curious gorge and then meeting his brother broken mountain at the hot springs. Then you get buff together. Bring lots of oil.

It was weird considering Curious Gorge murdered half of Wineport one quest earlier.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

nuru posted:

It was weird considering Curious Gorge murdered half of Wineport one quest earlier.

They didn't bring rubbing oil.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Alternately, if they ever decide to add more summons, maybe we can start pursuing Odin or Voidsent

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

nakama would've been too on the nose i guess?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

nuru posted:

Maybe I'm on the wrong side of history but AST to 60 was pretty boring to me compared to Tonberry boot camp.

AST 30 to 50 was great because it mostly delved into the lore of Sharlayn Astromancy.

50 to 60, on the other hand, was all about Leveva and her father. Boring.

Edit: Delete Hancock from the game

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is he trying to say I'm his pet robo-dog? As a catgirl I take great offense.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012

Doesn't that mean partner? iirc Yosuke calls you that in P4.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've heard fantastic things about DRK 60-70, including that it really makes you like a character from 50-60 that everyone seemed to hate. I haven't seen it personally though.

AST sorta sucked. They introduced a new character who bounces off the existing cast in funny and novel ways... and then proceeds to have them never interact past level 63 and instead you get a boring story with boring instances.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 28, 2017

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Why cant any of the characters go a single line without telling you how badass you are. It keeps reminding me of Homer Simpson writing dialogue for poochie.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Continuing the gathering chat from earlier, I just got my first gathering class (miner) to 50. Is there a good leveling collectible rotation? I keep reading that I need 600GP but I've only managed to get to around 540/550ish with HQ right side.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Carmant posted:

Why cant any of the characters go a single line without telling you how badass you are. It keeps reminding me of Homer Simpson writing dialogue for poochie.

Because you're badass. The Warrior of Light is a badass.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Carmant posted:

video games are frequently power fantasies and that's okay

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Countblanc posted:

Because you're badass. The Warrior of Light is a badass.

Thats cool the first few times but it gets really old after two expansions. I think they need to kill off the Warrior of Light and bring things back down to earth a bit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
By this expansion you've earned it tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

It just feels weird to heap endless amounts of praise on a character with no real dialogue or personality. Nobody RPs anymore so just make our characters talk and be an actual person already.