Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
It also lets you avoid taking additional Consequences, which can take a while to recover for the more severe ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Yeah the SRD mentions that a severe consequence takes a whole scenario to recover. How long is a "scenario" exactly?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yeah the SRD mentions that a severe consequence takes a whole scenario to recover. How long is a "scenario" exactly?

A scenario is basically one mini-adventure, and Fate Core suggests one to four sessions

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DarkAvenger211 posted:

In narrative terms, it's literally like the current "episode". The consequence doesn't recover until the main plot of the adventure it occurred in is resolved. So, not as long as a whole "arc", but often longer than one session.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Say I want my big bad guy to escape a conflict that's not quite working out. He concedes, and I say he's going (or trying) to escape. Are the players allowed to reject this and kill him off anyway? I'm I just good to come up with a wacky reason he's able to escape without pursuit. Presumably him conceding gives the players what they want, but what if what they want is to kill/capture him?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Say I want my big bad guy to escape a conflict that's not quite working out. He concedes, and I say he's going (or trying) to escape. Are the players allowed to reject this and kill him off anyway? I'm I just good to come up with a wacky reason he's able to escape without pursuit. Presumably him conceding gives the players what they want, but what if what they want is to kill/capture him?

Players can reject this, yes. At this point he still has the option of breaking off from the conflict and changing it to a pursuit scene, though. Another likely scenario is that your villain can create a situation you can use to Compel your player characters with. The classic example is having the villain endanger a bunch of bystanders with some kind of deathtrap that the heroes have to deal with while he escapes. "You can catch me and let all of them die, or you can save them and I'll get away!"

Also remember: a scene is only a Conflict if both sides have the ability and intention to harm or kill each other. If one side loses one of those properties (in this case, intent), then it stops being a Conflict and starts being something else. If the villain suddenly commits to a course of not trying to murder the players, especially if he gives up on the objective that he had to murder the players in order to accomplish, then it's not a Conflict any more. It could still be some kind of pursuit challenge, and likely only turns back into a Conflict if the players corner the villain somewhere and now he has to fight.

You can also do like, hollow victory concessions. The villain could concede with the the stipulation that he is captured and not killed. He can then later make his escape, especially if he's left in the hands of the authorities, who are basically incompetent compared to anybody who can compete with player characters.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

There's no rules for flat-out rejecting a concession, but they could potentially reject a particular result. In practice, this makes this means if your group really, really doesn't want the opponent to get away you should probably just listen to them and accept it. This goes for many situations obviously, as the GM you have the ability to say "this happens, deal with it" but there's no particular reason you should.

Ultimately Concessions are a purely "out of character" moment, this is not about whether the characters want to defeat the bad guy once and for all...but whether the players do. If you want your bad guy to get away for a cool return later on or just to have an interesting reoccurring antagonist then feel free to just tell your players exactly that and if they decide they'd rather have his head on a pike then it's probably worth going with the flow. If you've got big plans that are going to be ruined unless the bad guy gets away then again, tell the players, let them know.

Likewise, if you feel that these sorts of conversations detract from immersion or the impact of the story then just talk to players about the play style they can expect when the game starts and adjust the rules on things like player input accordingly. Fate is designed to be "player facing" and have players involved both in and out of character, but it's still perfectly functional for a more traditional "along for the ride" RPG experience.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Hey guys, these posts have been pretty helpful for me. We've ran through our first session last week and we really like the system. I've been still trying to refresh myself up on the rules a bit still and I've found something in the book that talks about conflicts I'm trying to figure out here.

It mentions that players only get one skill roll on their turn. This includes whatever attacks or advantages they were going to make, but it also includes overcome actions. In our first session I was applying situation aspects like Barely Hanging On and It's Raining bullets to represent obstacles and other difficult situations in the way of our players. I let players roll to overcome Barely Hanging On to regain their balance while trying to stand on a car in the middle of a car chase. I made players use Athletics or Will to overcome It's Raining Bullets to either dodge the bullets or overcome the suppression. I then also let them perform an action in the same turn because I figured it would kinda suck if they didn't get to do anything because they spent the turn overcoming it. (If they failed their first overcome roll I let them use their actual action to try again)

I realize this adds a lot of extra dice rolls and kind of slows things down (While also potentially adding more boosts and aspects on the board). How do you guys handle setting up aspects people need to overcome to do something in a conflict. I kind of want to make sure things are more interesting then just "Attack/Defend"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
You could handle it as a block (not sure if that made it into Fate Core). Basically, it's a passive defense against all your actions. If there's a block of +3, you need to get +3 or higher to actually succeed, even if the base difficulty would normally be lower. So if you are trying to Shoot someone and get a +2, and their defense roll comes to a +1, you'd still fail due to the It's Raining Bullets block at +3.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I like that actually. I'll try that

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Dresden Files Accelerated is out. How is it, especially compared to the old version?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
After a quick readthrough: I really like Mantels and will probably steal them for the next time I start a new Fate game.

It seems so much more accessible than the original Dresden Fate books.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

Dresden Files Accelerated is out. How is it, especially compared to the old version?
Much better. The three big things now are Mantles, new ways of dealing with stress/consequences, and scale.

Mantles are basically just pre-made packages of various archetypes (Wizard, Cop, Medic, Monster Hunter, Criminal, etc.) that give you a few default stunts and unique stress tracks. Not hugely spectacular, but they're nice for faster character generation.

The new stress mechanics are a near total overhaul. First off, stress tracks are now classified as "fleeting" (clears automatically at a specified point), "sticky" (lasts until you take steps to clear it out via a die roll), and "lasting" (like sticky, but will also either last until the end of the session or require another task to clear). Second, there are now stress tracks that have special rules that are used to track new types of problems.

Everyone gets six normal 1-point fleeting stress boxes for general damage reduction. You also get a 4-point sticky stress box (In Peril), and a 6-point lasting stress box (Doomed). In Peril and Doomed also require taking negative consequence aspects.

Everyone also gets a five box sticky track called Indebted; you fill in one box when you make a deal with someone powerful for something (help from an NPC, an important item, etc.), and clear boxes by paying off the debt. The more you get from the deal, the more boxes you fill. Once the track fills, you can't make any deals with anyone unless you default. Defaulting on a debt will clear the whole track, but is pretty much carte blanche for the GM to get you in deep trouble with whoever you screwed over.

On top of all that, each mantle comes with a few custom stress tracks. For instance, the Criminal mantle gets a Heat track:

quote:

Heat (sticky): [][][][][] Mark one of Heat’s five boxes when the attention of law enforcement is attracted, as indicated by your stunts. At the beginning of any scene in which you have Heat and are in a sufficiently public place, you must make an overcome roll to avoid drawing further attention. The GM rolls to oppose with +1 for each box of Heat marked. On a fail with 1–2 boxes marked, you are detained for questioning; if 3–5 boxes are marked, law enforcement immediately attempts to arrest you. Clear one box of Heat between sessions; clear all if you are arrested.
...whereas Cops get:

quote:

Warned (fleeting): [] Mark this condition when you egregiously flaunt your position as a law enforcement agent, act insubordinately to your superiors, or fail to report in regularly on your on-duty activities. Being Warned indicates that your superiors are closely observing you but carries few real consequences if no further transgressions are reported. You recover from being Warned at the end of the session.

Suspended (sticky): [] Mark this condition when you are observed flagrantly breaking the law in the pursuit of your duties, coming into open conflict with your organization, or acting in a way that would have you Warned and that condition is already marked. While Suspended is marked, you may not use Police Powers and are subject to the same consequences as a civilian for your actions. Moreover, if you are already Suspended and caught doing something that would result in marking Suspended, you may be fired, especially if taken out in a conflict related to your job status. (If you are discharged, take a new mantle at the next available milestone.) Recover this condition when you have made sufficient restitution to your superiors in a manner the GM prescribes, or at the end of the scenario, whichever comes first.
They remind me of character-specific countdown clocks, really.

Scale isn't the Kerberos version where you're swapping dice. Scale goes Mundane -> Supernatural -> Otherworldly -> Legendary -> Godlike, and for each tier you are above someone else, you can either get +1 to your roll before rolling, +2 after rolling if the roll succeeds, or one free invoke if you created advantage.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
This has probably been asked a few dozen hundred times already, but how exactly do you make dents in people's Stress and Consequences? Barring the obvious "make every enemy have an inflated attacking skill" which is oftentimes just kinda cheap and makes the fight take longer (which is annoying).

I'm hesitant to even have fights at all since my players use FPs on their defense rolls just to avoid having a single mark on their stress track. Forget conceding, I'd just be happy to have someone get punched in the face really hard.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

More fights between Refreshes. If your players are uncertain when they'll get Fate Points back, they're less likely to use them on rolls. Another option is give your bad guys appropriate stunts, so like they're good at attacking in a specific way but not at defending or attacking in other ways. Have them use moves that don't do stress, but that inflict penalties to defense instead, like say the bad guy has a glue gun and every time you get hit you slow down, giving you a stacking -1 penalty to Athletics.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Play like the players do. Stack up aspects then slam down large attacks using free invokes, then do it again with your FP. Create an advantage is almost always a better use of supporting NPCs than attacking, since their boss buddies can tag those.

Works best if the players can be lured into an area pre-prepared, which is pretty much always.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Yeah, if you want "normal" bad guys (random street thugs, bunch of goblins, etc) to still be dangerous you usually need to give them a situational advantage (scene Aspects that favor them) or beef them up with a more important character.

But also consider that part of the issue might be that if they can just casually spend FP on combat rolls there might not be enough out-of-combat stuff going on to eat up their FP? Don't be afraid to increase the significance of out-of-combat events to get players to shell out some FP when needed.

You might also consider how many compels you're handing out...it can be a temptation to go a little nuts with them since they're usually a lot of fun and get people involved in an active way, but they can also make things a bit of a muddle as you introduce new complications or twists on top of pumping FP into the players.

This also could just be a sign that you are safe to up the challenge level a bit. I mean, FATE doesn't have any kind of challenge-scaling system built in, so you've got to be a bit holistic in your approach there. Maybe throw together a bigger combat scene with opponents designed to be more of a challenge but with an easy "out" or two in case the PCs get in over their heads. See how they do.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Well the idea is that they're pretty shy about spending FPs and I usually have to gently nudge them (ex: "You can roll X to do Y here if you want. Feel free to invoke stuff if you have any applicable aspects.") Even then it's not all that effective. I guess I just have a batch of timid players but still.

I'll try to start a scene with invokes in favor of the opposition, see how well that sits with them.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Phimose Knight posted:

This has probably been asked a few dozen hundred times already, but how exactly do you make dents in people's Stress and Consequences? Barring the obvious "make every enemy have an inflated attacking skill" which is oftentimes just kinda cheap and makes the fight take longer (which is annoying).

I'm hesitant to even have fights at all since my players use FPs on their defense rolls just to avoid having a single mark on their stress track. Forget conceding, I'd just be happy to have someone get punched in the face really hard.

Do exactly what you're doing but go for the throat. You're playing right! Stress isn't the actual lifebar of players, it's Fate Points. Every time you make the players spend an FP defensively, you're basically draining a bit of blood from their characters. They'll be sluggish, less powerful, and generally more vulnerable. Drain enough FP (read: push a player to 0) and they're now in actual, real peril. This actually happened in a guest GMing spot I ran (thrice!), and it raised the stakes of each fight scene massively, because suddenly there was a very, very real chance of failing the scene objective or dying (I can post examples of how that worked differently in each of the fights if you want - something I kinda noticed off that is 'serious danger' FATE and 'strut your stuff' FATE are entirely different ballgames in spite of using the same system, simply because the shift in expectations and increased emphasis on tactics changes everything). Note that this isn't for everyone - some squads of players will recoil from true danger, freeze up, start hating the scene or have a meltdown if bad things happen to their PCs. But assuming your group is legitimately interested in being challenged instead of purely using FATE as an improv storytelling vehicle, you're gonna have to reduce FP to 0 to make people feel the heat. As a bonus, this forces everyone to take compels left and right, which kicks things into high gear, so it's all upside so long as the players don't get blindsided by the fact that suddenly fights are meaningfully dangerous in an OOC context.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Transient People posted:

(I can post examples of how that worked differently in each of the fights if you want - something I kinda noticed off that is 'serious danger' FATE and 'strut your stuff' FATE are entirely different ballgames in spite of using the same system, simply because the shift in expectations and increased emphasis on tactics changes everything).

Please do post these--this sounds like immensely useful information for new GMs.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Your wish is my command. Here are three fights from our long-running Dresden Files (ported to Atomic Robo) FATE game from when I took over.

Fight 1: Disco Inferno

Fight link, lasts four rounds.

This fight is a testament to four things: First, the power of creative compels, the value of using more zones and making them matter instead of throwing everybody into a single one and forgetting the things exist, the enormous impact zonewide attacks have, and lastly, the power of the Invoke For Effect option. To start off, I handed the entire group a compel to get a surprise attack on them (at full defensive values - the rules for hitting targets with +0 defenses if you get the drop on them are terrible and should rarely be used). This immediately generated multiple invokes to use, forcing the team to spend actions and fate points nulling them. The opponents were outnumbered (several Good mooks, one of which packed an AoE-granting stuntm and one vampire with PC-level stats and a stunt for a sniper rifle and another for representing an armored van) and outskilled (their skills hovered around 3-4 to the 5s and 6s of the PCs at their apexes, with the exception of the vamp leading the operation), but by using multitarget attacks, active opposition, and invoke-chaining (AKA get a success with style, use it to generate a success with style, repeat...), everybody's FP pools were reduced to near-nothing, one PC had all three of his consequences immediately filled out, an allied NPC ate a mild, and generally everyone ended up in a state of confusion and shock. This fight was something of a wake-up call for the team - as I was the usual rules monkey of the group, nobody was really aware that a lot of the moves pulled off here (active opposition, invoking for effect) existed beforehand, and they also got seriously blindsided by the fact I was willing to ruthlessly focus a PC that split from the party and failed at pulling off a stunt almost to the point of getting taken out. There was a bit of drama here because I unwittingly violated the social contract - our usual GM was kinder than me, so when I played the fight very nearly as hard as I could, it created friction. Always, always confirm that your party is up for playing on hardmode before trying to murder them, is what I'm saying here.

(Incidentally, if there's any questions about how things worked for any of these fights, let me know. There's probably some behind-the-scenes stuff that isn't readily apparent.)

Fight 2: Fatal Duel

(Follow the Fatal Duel posts for the fight itself - the rest is related but kind of tangential)

This fight was the whole reason I came in as a guest GM for a bit. Due to circumstances too long to explain, my own PC ended up in the late '20s, the rest of the party ended up in an alternae universe six years into the future, and were forced to confront a ghost of the past from our GM's PC, a terrible and powerful vampire duke who killed the woman he loved (and was basically vampire Big Boss and immune to magic). Since it would have been a glorified cutscene if she'd ran a duel where she controlled both parties, I agreed to design the challenges for this section and play them so her character could get the spotlight she deserved, just this once. The end result was a fight that went 27 freakin' rounds long, easily the longest one I've ever seen not just in FATE but in any game, and a shocking conclusion that changed everything from that point onward. I won't spoil anything - but this was a pretty sobering experience on the power of numbers. Duke Roqueza's stats were generally +1 over Richter Cole's, and combined with a 'boss gimmick' intentionally overpowered stunt (which was eventually disabled), it made this fight extremely, extremely difficult. This taught me to always calibrate stats a little lower than what seems 'tough but doable', as this fight was too close for comfort. Even so, though, if I had to pick one fight to show off why FATE is an amazing game, this would be it. How many systems can run cinematic 1v1 duels that go this long, are close all the way, and remain exciting throughout?

Fight 3: Crisis Zone

While Richter Cole was busy having a 1v1 bossfight duel, the other PCs had a different kind of boss in store - a massive, futuristic, top of the line tank. This fight was a showcase for Atomic Robo's innovations, and how useful they are for creating amazing setpiece fights. It also shows an important but underrated facet of good encounter building: if you want bosses to be scary without being broken, don't give them inflated stats. Give them overpowered stunts you wouldn't allow normal enemies or players to have, that redefine the fight's context. The 'boss stunt' here isn't the tank gun, but the point defense's ability to make an attack on anyone who stepped out of cover. The existence of this stunt made the fight very dangerous, and enforced the fact it was very very important to stay in cover. The tank gun itself basically functioned as an 'enrage timer' would in an MMORPG - if the fight lasted too long, someone would get blasted (I calculated twelve rounds before enrage, but got a free shot near the end IIRC). Bulletproof also helped make it so the boss couldn't just be walked over, without giving it a massive lifebar - and since it didn't extend to the extra weaponry, the party could still diminish the boss' effectiveness without having to kill it outright. Whereas I think the Fatal Duel fight was a little overtuned, this one was tuned just right - extremely menacing, but actually perfectly winnable, and easier than it looked. It's a good example of how to break the mold and innovate - don't feel constrained to 'normal' stunts all the time. Sometimes, an unique stunt can make a fight much more entertaining than it'd otherwise be.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Planning a FAE "Cops Dealing with Occult Weirdness" game. PCs as members of a task force assigned to all the strange cases their superiors want to more or less ignore, but acknowledge "somebody" should handle. The general mood should be that of a police procedural, except sometimes there are monsters or wizards or cursed artifacts, and there aren't really procedures for that.

I'm trying to flavor the Approaches. What I have so far:

Good Cop: Positive social interactions, diplomacy, getting reluctant witnesses to talk
Bad Cop: Intimidation, threats, hostile interrogation
By The Book: Policework, procedure, proper investigative techniques
Dirty Pool: Breaking the rules, ignoring civil liberties, planting evidence
Tough Guy: Taking a punch, busting heads, being a hardass
Intuition: Drawing conclusions, thinking outside the box, making sense of senselessness, Gut feelings

Do I have a good spread here? Any big areas I'm missing that won't be covered by Aspects? Any massive overlap?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I got the oddest idea for an Atomic Robo game. I don't think I can run it so I guess I'll just mention it in case anyone likes it and wants to use it in their own game.

It's called: Atomic Robo And The Unnecessarily Deadly School For Brainwashed, Anti-Science Youth.

Atomic Robo once had a throw away shorts comic about someone who mistook his scientific achievements as magic and viewed himself as a wizard. And how he attempted to take over the world using his invention but would have likely just blown up a city.

The idea for this game plays all that and mixes it with the Harry Potter books that I've been re-reading.

It's the 1990s, a series of high-profile, political murders are happening across Britain that don't fall into line with how weapons work. No stab wounds, no signs of poisoning, no bullet wounds, excetera. While there is clear signs of struggle and even a witness confirming it was murder, it seemed as if the person's heart just turned off.

The witness is claiming that a cloaked figure used a stick and a magic phrase to kill the individual.

Tesladyne ends up diving into the investigation both because the Sparrow asks for help due to the strange nature of the incidenents and for the scientific curiosity of what weapon the murderer is using.

This leads to a big conspiracy of individuals who have psychic abilities, like the Russians were experimenting with in the 80s according to the roleplaying book, that have lived in secret in separate societies that believe their powers are magic.

This ends up tracing them to a school for these crazy people where Tesladyne believes the killer is living and operating in. A school where these people teach their young how to use their psychic powers, their "magic", and basically indoctrinate them into this cult that laughs at science and tries its best to live as if it were still the 1600s.

Basically, it's a pastiche on Voldemort, Harry Potter, and Hogwarts.

It's not meant to be a crossover as I find those boring and dumb. More like a homage with a hint of parody.

I think it can be pretty fun and would likely not be out of the line for the Atomic Robo universe.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Covok, I think that could probably work pretty well. A good chunk of the narrative could involve figuring out the nuts and bolts of how all the paraphernalia works. Like, how are they making this boiled plant juice that makes gives you shape-shifting powers, do the selenium cores of these "wands" have some psionic property, and so on. Maybe the school and its surrounding area are under the influence of some sort of dimensional breach, or maybe having several thousand individuals with psychokinetic powers all living within a few miles of each other has created a potentially apocalyptic "psychic pressure zone" where the laws of physics are subject to arbitrary changes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Whatever happened to the second Fate More Kickstarter that was supposed to run in late 2016? Ostensibly it was going to help fund more Toolkit books, but I guess they have enough cash to just start publishing them, given the recent release of the Adversary toolkit?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Captain Walker and I put a few hours into making a Star Wars hack of Dresden Files Accelerated. At least 50% of it was just shuffling around mechanics from DFA until they fit, but there's a fair amount of original content in there too. Mostly just something we put together for idle fun because we weren't super happy with how FFG handled a few things, but we figure y'all might get some mileage out of it too. https://goo.gl/uy4oJP

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Transient People posted:

Your wish is my command. Here are three fights from our long-running Dresden Files (ported to Atomic Robo) FATE game from when I took over.

Fight 1: Disco Inferno

Fight link, lasts four rounds.

This fight is a testament to four things: First, the power of creative compels, the value of using more zones and making them matter instead of throwing everybody into a single one and forgetting the things exist, the enormous impact zonewide attacks have, and lastly, the power of the Invoke For Effect option. To start off, I handed the entire group a compel to get a surprise attack on them (at full defensive values - the rules for hitting targets with +0 defenses if you get the drop on them are terrible and should rarely be used). This immediately generated multiple invokes to use, forcing the team to spend actions and fate points nulling them. The opponents were outnumbered (several Good mooks, one of which packed an AoE-granting stuntm and one vampire with PC-level stats and a stunt for a sniper rifle and another for representing an armored van) and outskilled (their skills hovered around 3-4 to the 5s and 6s of the PCs at their apexes, with the exception of the vamp leading the operation), but by using multitarget attacks, active opposition, and invoke-chaining (AKA get a success with style, use it to generate a success with style, repeat...), everybody's FP pools were reduced to near-nothing, one PC had all three of his consequences immediately filled out, an allied NPC ate a mild, and generally everyone ended up in a state of confusion and shock. This fight was something of a wake-up call for the team - as I was the usual rules monkey of the group, nobody was really aware that a lot of the moves pulled off here (active opposition, invoking for effect) existed beforehand, and they also got seriously blindsided by the fact I was willing to ruthlessly focus a PC that split from the party and failed at pulling off a stunt almost to the point of getting taken out. There was a bit of drama here because I unwittingly violated the social contract - our usual GM was kinder than me, so when I played the fight very nearly as hard as I could, it created friction. Always, always confirm that your party is up for playing on hardmode before trying to murder them, is what I'm saying here.

(Incidentally, if there's any questions about how things worked for any of these fights, let me know. There's probably some behind-the-scenes stuff that isn't readily apparent.)

Fight 2: Fatal Duel

(Follow the Fatal Duel posts for the fight itself - the rest is related but kind of tangential)

This fight was the whole reason I came in as a guest GM for a bit. Due to circumstances too long to explain, my own PC ended up in the late '20s, the rest of the party ended up in an alternae universe six years into the future, and were forced to confront a ghost of the past from our GM's PC, a terrible and powerful vampire duke who killed the woman he loved (and was basically vampire Big Boss and immune to magic). Since it would have been a glorified cutscene if she'd ran a duel where she controlled both parties, I agreed to design the challenges for this section and play them so her character could get the spotlight she deserved, just this once. The end result was a fight that went 27 freakin' rounds long, easily the longest one I've ever seen not just in FATE but in any game, and a shocking conclusion that changed everything from that point onward. I won't spoil anything - but this was a pretty sobering experience on the power of numbers. Duke Roqueza's stats were generally +1 over Richter Cole's, and combined with a 'boss gimmick' intentionally overpowered stunt (which was eventually disabled), it made this fight extremely, extremely difficult. This taught me to always calibrate stats a little lower than what seems 'tough but doable', as this fight was too close for comfort. Even so, though, if I had to pick one fight to show off why FATE is an amazing game, this would be it. How many systems can run cinematic 1v1 duels that go this long, are close all the way, and remain exciting throughout?

Fight 3: Crisis Zone

While Richter Cole was busy having a 1v1 bossfight duel, the other PCs had a different kind of boss in store - a massive, futuristic, top of the line tank. This fight was a showcase for Atomic Robo's innovations, and how useful they are for creating amazing setpiece fights. It also shows an important but underrated facet of good encounter building: if you want bosses to be scary without being broken, don't give them inflated stats. Give them overpowered stunts you wouldn't allow normal enemies or players to have, that redefine the fight's context. The 'boss stunt' here isn't the tank gun, but the point defense's ability to make an attack on anyone who stepped out of cover. The existence of this stunt made the fight very dangerous, and enforced the fact it was very very important to stay in cover. The tank gun itself basically functioned as an 'enrage timer' would in an MMORPG - if the fight lasted too long, someone would get blasted (I calculated twelve rounds before enrage, but got a free shot near the end IIRC). Bulletproof also helped make it so the boss couldn't just be walked over, without giving it a massive lifebar - and since it didn't extend to the extra weaponry, the party could still diminish the boss' effectiveness without having to kill it outright. Whereas I think the Fatal Duel fight was a little overtuned, this one was tuned just right - extremely menacing, but actually perfectly winnable, and easier than it looked. It's a good example of how to break the mold and innovate - don't feel constrained to 'normal' stunts all the time. Sometimes, an unique stunt can make a fight much more entertaining than it'd otherwise be.

Hey I realise that your post was 5 months ago but I did have a bit of a question on how you handle the Supressing Fire aspect. You mention that they'll need to pass a Will to brave the bullets, which you seem to ignore once another character created a Slow Shield aspect on another character. Later on it seems that Suppressing fire is rolled against the slow shield (I think) and does nothing. I couldn't quite follow what you had written exactly. Are you rolling an attack against the Slow Shield aspect or against the value they rolled for Slow Shield?

Another question here is, if they didn't try to use a Slow Shield aspect to avoid the Suppressing Fire, would it take a whole turn to brave the bullets (Since it causes you a Will roll, and you should only roll once a turn)?

One more thing for anyone out there, a friend of mine wants to run a Star Wars themed One-Shot. Has anyone had any experience using Fate for a Star Wars themed game, or is there a better system suited for this that anyone knows about?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I can't speak for Transient People, but a quick glance makes it look like suppressing fire is being used a bit like a Block. A Block is a type of action from the Dresden Files rules that doesn't have a direct equivalent in core FATE (Dresden files is technically based on older FATE rules).

Basically, Blocks create an obstacle that opponents must overcome in order to act against them. So, if I spend my action to hold a door shut, anyone attempting to push through must make an action to overcome that obstacle.

Now, FATE doesn't have this explicitly spelled out, but largely Blocks are replaced with Aspects, under the "Aspects are always true" rule. I.e. if I am creating an Aspect with the intent of saying that X area is impassable, then that is true. Within context...if another character's Aspects or just their nature (such as an insubstantial ghost) establishes that "bullets don't hurt me", then that trumps the first, because implicit in that first Aspect is the idea that it works because attempting to run into a wall of bullets is extremely dangerous to most people.

This is an area of FATE where the rules are a little bit vague and frustrating and adjudicating these issues well often comes down to GM skill.

As far as your Star Wars question, FATE works pretty darn well for that. It sits at just about exactly that level of realism, and pretty much any non-jedi character could probably be created with nothing but core FATE and a working knowledge of the star wars universe. The main sticking point with Star Wars is always jedi and their ilk, which need some way to balance with non-jedi and unfortunately there's not any of the obvious downsides to using the force you get with magic or what have you. However, I'm sure there's tons of conversions out there which have various ideas on how to pull it off. Probably the easiest way would be to make specific force actions into Stunts rather than having a super-broad Force Use skill or something, so investing in your Force Powers is going to use up your Stunt slots and FP.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

oriongates posted:

I can't speak for Transient People, but a quick glance makes it look like suppressing fire is being used a bit like a Block. A Block is a type of action from the Dresden Files rules that doesn't have a direct equivalent in core FATE (Dresden files is technically based on older FATE rules).

Basically, Blocks create an obstacle that opponents must overcome in order to act against them. So, if I spend my action to hold a door shut, anyone attempting to push through must make an action to overcome that obstacle.

Now, FATE doesn't have this explicitly spelled out, but largely Blocks are replaced with Aspects, under the "Aspects are always true" rule. I.e. if I am creating an Aspect with the intent of saying that X area is impassable, then that is true. Within context...if another character's Aspects or just their nature (such as an insubstantial ghost) establishes that "bullets don't hurt me", then that trumps the first, because implicit in that first Aspect is the idea that it works because attempting to run into a wall of bullets is extremely dangerous to most people.

This is an area of FATE where the rules are a little bit vague and frustrating and adjudicating these issues well often comes down to GM skill.

As far as your Star Wars question, FATE works pretty darn well for that. It sits at just about exactly that level of realism, and pretty much any non-jedi character could probably be created with nothing but core FATE and a working knowledge of the star wars universe. The main sticking point with Star Wars is always jedi and their ilk, which need some way to balance with non-jedi and unfortunately there's not any of the obvious downsides to using the force you get with magic or what have you. However, I'm sure there's tons of conversions out there which have various ideas on how to pull it off. Probably the easiest way would be to make specific force actions into Stunts rather than having a super-broad Force Use skill or something, so investing in your Force Powers is going to use up your Stunt slots and FP.

That's a solid answer, thanks!

I looked a bit into Blocks as you mentioned and it looks like there's an entry in the Fate SRD, I think they may have released some new content related to "adversaries". Here it is in case anyone is interested: https://fate-srd.com/fate-adversary-toolkit/obstacles#blocks

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

That's a solid answer, thanks!

I looked a bit into Blocks as you mentioned and it looks like there's an entry in the Fate SRD, I think they may have released some new content related to "adversaries". Here it is in case anyone is interested: https://fate-srd.com/fate-adversary-toolkit/obstacles#blocks

Thanks for linking this, I had no idea this part of the SRD existed. It's got some excellent conflict-building and contest-building ideas.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I want to use FATE to run a game where the default assumption is that everyone is a skilled hacker fighting evil megacorps in a neon future (Android: NetRunner, specifically), and because I seriously hate the idea of a "hacking" skill I'm not including one. My vision is the players use the various skills as an explanation of how they approach problems.

Me: You are all swimming in the web outside the HB Facility when a Rototurret challenges your credentials.

Noise Player (anarch cyberpunk): I use Provoke to make it misfire in a blind rage.

Gabe Player (Consummate cyber-criminal like the Merovignian from the Matrix): I use Deceive to rewrite our certs to be HB Employees

Adam Player (freed cyborg): I use Rapport to bond with the very-bored Rototurret and comiserate about how foolish carbon-based life is.

Essentially, the game's skills will be "how you do your hacking" rather than just adding a "Hack" skill and be done with it.

Also everyone's console is one of their Aspects.

Is this a solid-enough plan? I'm basically using the FAE idea of "it's about how the players go about solving problems" without completely destroying the interesting skill-crunch of Fate itself, right?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Sure!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, if hacking and dealing with computer systems is going to be a pervasive element of your game you can just model them as a regular enemies/obstacles and use the same variety of overcome and attack skills to defeat them. You might want to define the console and its capabilities with a stunt or extra ("Can use Provoke and Craft when dealing with cyber enemies and obstacles, use at +1 when operating in navigation systems") and then also take an Aspect with it for narrative heft.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'd just straight up use FAE approaches instead of the Core skill list for that, personally, since it means not having to worry if a skill "makes sense" in cyberspace.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, maybe the console can stat out the FAE approaches for hacking so that each player had a different feel.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
New FATE Accessories Kickstarter. Dice and fate point tokens.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
No international shipping for the kickstarter, boo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Terratina posted:

No international shipping for the kickstarter, boo.

They did say that once the campaign concludes, they'll be getting them in to their normal distribution; so they'll be available then

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

jivjov posted:

They did say that once the campaign concludes, they'll be getting them in to their normal distribution; so they'll be available then

Which means more waiting on my end. But really, I'm glad more product is getting released. Soon I will have towers of FATE dice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Fate Accessories Kickstarter has rejiggered a little bit; the blue fate point tokens now unlock at the base funding goal instead of being a stretch, and the first few stretch goals are the "elemental" layered dice

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 6, 2018