Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

a happy(?????????) ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

This is going to end with that cut-out coming to life and dancing with Grape-kun as Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now plays.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

a happy(?????????) ending

Well, Grape's a senior citizen, no use in shattering his delusions. It's a happy ending.

Command Ant posted:

This is going to end with that cut-out coming to life and dancing with Grape-kun as Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now plays.

That's a pretty deep cut. I have not seen that in many, many years but it's gotta be creepy as hell viewed with more recent eyes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Command Ant posted:

I've never watched Mannequin (although I grew up with that song) so ...

the song is still playing but I'm imagining select scenes from Requiem for a Dream

"we've got a winner!"

Agronox posted:

Well, Grape's a senior citizen, no use in shattering his delusions. It's a happy ending.

:yeah:

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

That pic made me realize...

Grape-kun is old and he sits in his pen, gazing at the 2D cardboard cutout, dreaming of a waifu.

And I... Grape-kun is I am old and he I sits in his pen my apartment, gazing at the 2D cardboard cutout paper posters, dreaming of a waifu.

Je suis Grape-kun.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

wheelgun wielder posted:

That pic made me realize...

Grape-kun is old and he sits in his pen, gazing at the 2D cardboard cutout, dreaming of a waifu.

And I... Grape-kun is I am old and he I sits in his pen my apartment, gazing at the 2D cardboard cutout paper posters, dreaming of a waifu.

Je suis Grape-kun.

:same:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We are all grape kun.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Holy gently caress. Just marathoned the show. The penultimate episode took a turn I did not expect :stare:

What started as a semi-ironic watch turned into a genuine love. Good show with tanoshii Friends.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zeruel posted:

Holy gently caress. Just marathoned the show. The penultimate episode took a turn I did not expect :stare:

What started as a semi-ironic watch turned into a genuine love. Good show with tanoshii Friends.

every season has a show that I watch thinking I'll laugh at it and get bored half in and then I wind up loving it. I'm glad that slot got filled by a show about cute animals for a twist.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Zeruel posted:

Part of the fun was watching the reactions of other people--many of whom put the series in a trashcan after the shaky first episode--slowly come to like it.

I probably started watching around the fifth or sixth week after someone's very hesitant post on reddit that was like, "Okay guys, uh, you're not going to believe this, but that animal friends show is actually really intriguing and I can't wait to see where they're taking this weird apocalypse world!"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I started watching this because I was on Eri Natsume's stream and asked if she had any anime she'd recommend and instead of getting the answer I expected, she said Kemono Friends, which wasn't on my radar as a show to watch until then.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm very confused by people hating on the first ep. It was chill and nice and a hundred times better than anything comparable that'd just screech at you and vomit stuff everywhere.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The first episode somehow had worse animation than the ones that came after. The show was a total unknown that looked like it was produced in MMD and had the tone of children's educational television.

Of course, that became its main charm.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

kater posted:

I'm very confused by people hating on the first ep. It was chill and nice and a hundred times better than anything comparable that'd just screech at you and vomit stuff everywhere.

The first episode was super hatable, to be honest. The voice acting was at its most awkward in the first ep, the 3DCG is jarring as hell unless you already liked stuff like RWBY where you're adjusted to that kind of animation. Once you wait out the jarring first episode and kinda meh second episode, that's when the show begins to shine.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

kater posted:

it looked like rear end tho

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Also to me at least the first episode had that sort of "this is clearly just a glorified ad for some lovely mobage" feel, up to and including alluding to game mechanics. Only it's somehow worse than usual because the mobage had already failed. As someone who's been stuck on projects I knew were pointless at the start, I remember honestly feeling bad for the production staff.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The first one made it look like it would be the cheapest possible throwaway production but it had so much heart and chill that I stuck with it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The direction, animation, pacing, etc. For ep 1 was poo poo. The later episodes displayed pretty decent writing and pacing, the only thing bad was the animation. Even that managed to work itself to a better standard though, and became charming.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Anybody else find they cannot remember what that season had besides kemofriends and LWA? MMD visuals, and ingredients made up out of heart, chill, friends, tanoshii, a quite fascinating and interesting story on top = massive international fanbase rivalling the 300+ episode shounen series, never-ending mass of fanart, videos and memes.

If only they'd given the friends birthdays, like all those idol animes.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

No because Maidragon is Winter too

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ACCA

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I wouldn't have watched this anime past the first episode if I didn't see someone post a clip of Crested Ibis singing from the third episode.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrLonghair posted:

Anybody else find they cannot remember what that season had besides kemofriends and LWA? MMD visuals, and ingredients made up out of heart, chill, friends, tanoshii, a quite fascinating and interesting story on top = massive international fanbase rivalling the 300+ episode shounen series, never-ending mass of fanart, videos and memes.

If only they'd given the friends birthdays, like all those idol animes.

If I remember correctly, that season was pretty ridiculous in terms of decent stuff to watch, which makes Kemono Friends' dominance even more hilarious. Our weekly stream group was watching:

Little Witch Academia
Youjo Senki
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
KonoSuba S2
Kemono Friends

And the other decent or solid stuff some of us were watching on the side:
Masamune-kun
Gabriel Dropout
Seiren
Last half of Iron Blooded Orphans

And then we were also watching The Expanse at the same time, so we were really busy.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, that winter season was pretty good, so much better than the one after it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I had to see the names of those series to remember they exist at all :(

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Agronox posted:

Yeah, that winter season was pretty good, so much better than the one after it.

:agreed:

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
2b is a great friend

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I saw the first episode and thought "oh, I guess this is like meant for toddlers?" but I decided to just grit through it and it surprised me.

It's still meant for children though, just not the usual fare.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The opening chase scene in ep 1 is super bad. I'd say it's by far the low point of the series and it's the very first thing you see.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

I saw the first episode and thought "oh, I guess this is like meant for toddlers?" but I decided to just grit through it and it surprised me.

It's still meant for children though, just not the usual fare.

Yes, the kid's show that aired in the usual kid's show slot of like the 2am.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Brownieftw posted:

2b is a great friend

They should be reversed, really.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zereth posted:

The opening chase scene in ep 1 is super bad. I'd say it's by far the low point of the series and it's the very first thing you see.

Yes, this nearly made me drop despite being asked by a friend to watch

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

AnoHito posted:

Wait what? It aired at 2am?

I legitimately thought it was an educational kids show.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Zeruel posted:

Wait what? It aired at 2am?

I legitimately thought it was an educational kids show.

You probably saw the censored version. They decided to cover up the raunchy scenes with short educational clips instead. You're better off leaving that to your imagination.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There Bias Two posted:

You probably saw the censored version. They decided to cover up the raunchy scenes with short educational clips instead. You're better off leaving that to your imagination.

Capybara was just a censor for some nice poo poo you can see on the blurays.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AnoHito posted:

Yeah, so roughly when a toddler wakes up, give or take.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, so roughly when a toddler wakes up, give or take.

Are you serious?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

esselfortium posted:

Are you serious?

No, it's a joke in a comedy forum at the expense of all the parents out there at 3am breast feeding their babies.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Oh it's the BAD END route
https://twitter.com/_s_e_k_i_/status/869213753010561025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Mordaedil posted:

No, it's a joke in a comedy forum at the expense of all the parents out there at 3am breast feeding their babies.

Ah, I like jokes