Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

gatesealer posted:

so I feel like I'm using goblin punch wrong. I have my blue mage equipped with the chicken knife and it is currently maxed out at 127, but I deal 0 damage with goblin punch. Am I missing something?

Yeah, goblin punch uses the base stats of the weapon, not the buffed version from running away. So excalipoor is ok to use with goblin punch, or brave blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

gatesealer posted:

so I feel like I'm using goblin punch wrong. I have my blue mage equipped with the chicken knife and it is currently maxed out at 127, but I deal 0 damage with goblin punch. Am I missing something?

The Chicken Knife always reads as having 0 attack for goblin punch purposes. It's the same mechanic that makes the Excalipoor good, only in reverse.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

gatesealer posted:

goblin punch uses a weapons base damage before modifers, so it will always be 0 for chicken knife (and 150 for brave blade, 100 for excalipoor)

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

oh well then, chicken knife is useless to me this run I guess

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

gatesealer posted:

Goblin Punch only takes the weapon's base attack value, which for Chicken Knife is 1. On the flip side, Goblin Punch always treats Brave Blade at max value no matter how many times you've run.

Chadina
Apr 29, 2008
I've got Berzerker/Ninja/Red Mage/Blue Mage with Shinryu and NED down.

Are there any secrets to actually damaging Omega with this team? My best idea right now is White Wind, Mighty Guard, Throwing Lightning Scrolls, Phoenix Downs, and Praying for no encircles.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

gg

basch incentive if that's still going
Mime died right before final blow

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Chadina posted:

I've got Berzerker/Ninja/Red Mage/Blue Mage with Shinryu and NED down.

Are there any secrets to actually damaging Omega with this team? My best idea right now is White Wind, Mighty Guard, Throwing Lightning Scrolls, Phoenix Downs, and Praying for no encircles.

Kill your Berserker, first off. Then use the ole reflected scan trick (wear reflect rings or hard cast it, can't remember if red gets it) and only damage omega when scan is on it. This will cause all counters omega does to go back on it, making encircle a non issue. 1000 needles is probably your best damage source and mighty guard and white wind will let you survive to deal your damage.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
option b: dont kill the berserker off. equip him with a flame ring, diamond armour (and not the aegis shield), and a lovely dagger. everyone else gets reflect rings, and bounce doublecasted thundaras off your party, since if its damaging your berserker omega won't counter. ninja and blue are basically going to keep an elixir/white wind train going

getting float would probably help, too

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

Kill your Berserker, first off. Then use the ole reflected scan trick (wear reflect rings or hard cast it, can't remember if red gets it) and only damage omega when scan is on it. This will cause all counters omega does to go back on it, making encircle a non issue.

WHAT THE gently caress

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Final Party Part 3: Berserker, Ninja, Monk, Ranger.

From my limited knowledge, I don't think it is a Triple Crown without massive leveling and luck but the rest of the game will be mostly easy street.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bregor posted:

Brains vs. luck...

Next time: Getting tablets for no reason.
I'm only 66 on everyone, you think that's good enough for Omniscient? How many procs did it take you to :black101:

e: wait, is it better with 3x Mage Masher rather than 1x Masher and sync up the speed and try to murder with fewer procs?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Mentally preparing for the last gauntlet then triple crown with Ninja/Time/Black/Chemist

Not really worried about much other than my next run. Because man there's synergy between all of my classes and I doubt my next run will have that. Due to !black6, fire scrolls have remained insanely useful since 200 Gil is relatively cheaper than the Mana cost of Fire3. Doubly so because the Ninja can typically throw a scroll out before enemies can get a turn.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

derra posted:

This so hard. Listen to this wise man. A Red Mage with an Ancient Sword and a Power Staff is amazing. If they had Blind access they would be one of the best classes.

Yeah, in a Fiesta run, versatility counts for a lot, which is why I'd rate Red Mages above the other commonly-considered "worst classes" (both for their plethora of options and for synergising well with almost every other job). Monk, Geomancer, Berserker, and Dragoon are all one-trick ponies, and half of them aren't even good at the one trick they do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Schwarzwald posted:

If Red Mage had access to magic one level higher they'd be golden.

That and slightly less poo poo attack power. Like god drat, if you're going to equip swords can't you have more than zero physical damage?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So what would you consider the slowest possible Chaos 750 team? Because I got TIM/WHM/RED/TIM>GEO, and holy poo poo I'm dreading trying to slog through world 2 and 3 with this team. Yeah, it's a triple crown, but at the cost of my sanity.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

berenzen posted:

So what would you consider the slowest possible Chaos 750 team? Because I got TIM/WHM/RED/TIM>GEO, and holy poo poo I'm dreading trying to slog through world 2 and 3 with this team. Yeah, it's a triple crown, but at the cost of my sanity.

Slowest would probably be that party except replace Red Mage with Bard.

Learn to love Gravity attacks, save up a lot of money for rods, and pray !Gaia is good to you.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

berenzen posted:

It's not so bad. Level up in the few places where Geomancer or White Mage shine offensively (Ronka Ruins, Drakenvale, Great Sea Trench) and just run away from everything else. Boss fights will take a while until you get Holy, but a surprising number of World 2 bosses aren't Heavy and it's not like you're in any danger of ever dying.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 28, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

fits posted:

option b: dont kill the berserker off. equip him with a flame ring, diamond armour (and not the aegis shield), and a lovely dagger. everyone else gets reflect rings, and bounce doublecasted thundaras off your party, since if its damaging your berserker omega won't counter. ninja and blue are basically going to keep an elixir/white wind train going

getting float would probably help, too

Ding ding ding.

And yes, get Float, and be ready to heal ASAP on his double action due to Wave Cannon / Maelstrom.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's not so bad. Level up in the few places where Geomancer or White Mage shine offensively (Ronka Ruins, Drakenvale, Great Sea Trench) and just run away from everything else. Boss fights will take a while until you get Holy, but a surprising number of World 2 bosses aren't Heavy and it's not like you're in any danger of ever dying.

TBH I don't know if you even need to level up with that party. Haste, slow, Shell, Blink, Float, level independent damage in Comet / Meteor?

Time and Rods carry through at least Archaeoaevis. Either confuse for float or stop then kill Titan. Sleep Purolobos. Stop Manticore. Old and mute Bridgegamesh. Sleep flowers, Demi and comet Dragon Pod. Old Boatgamesh. Sleep and Comet Atomos. Back row Protect and Shell, then land a Gravity on a crystal, wait for everyone's turn to be up, attempt Gravija & if it hits Comet x3. Blink Shell and Comet have always been enough for Exdeath, and Staves of Light do exist if necessary.

Old and Berserk Antlion, Sleep Melsuine and Stalker, Minotaur can be Overcome with Phoenix Downs but is honestly the hardest boss up to this point IMO.

Reflected Comets are the lazy Rugwizard killer, Old & silence Calistoferi, quick leak Omega, Berserk Apanda, Azulmagia isn't difficult with Holy now, float Catastrophe, mini and old Haly, Banish TT, blink and Berserk Shinryu, White and Time should see you through NED.

Yeah you have an answer to almost everything and can probably beat the game at a super low level.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Don't believe Ondore's lies, a butt yet lives.

TC of course but I'm not gonna post some quickleak pics.

First time I finish a run with summoner and dang Syldra is really good, also got a Shoat proc on the Almagest part :c00lbert:

grancheater fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 28, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I thought I would hate this thief/dancer/geo/time party but it has been smooth sailing so far all game. Onto world 3 :toot:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Alright, I think I'm ready for my final run at the rift. I'm not entirely sure, since I've never gotten this far in FF5 before.

For legendaries I took the Masamune, Assassin's Knife, and the Beastmaster one because why not. Lenna has an Air Knife for boosting Syldra. Bartz has the Bone Mail and an Aegis shield as well, whereas everyone else has the best armor from Phantom village (Lenna has the Gold Hairpin, ofc). I have the three Hermes Sandals recommended by Enkibot. The only World 3 content I finished was getting the Magic Lamp, unlocking Odin, and unlocking Syldra.

With this party, is there anything else I should do before making a run at the rift? Do I need to grind more levels? When inside, should I just be !Fleeing from all encounters except for bosses (this was my plan)? Chat suggested that Phoenix/Bahamut are worth skipping, so I wasn't planning on doing those. I'm a bit worried about entering the rift and finding out I need to leave to get something and being all pissed off (I will keep backup saves outside of the rift).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JerikTelorian posted:

For legendaries I took the Masamune, Assassin's Knife, and the Beastmaster one because why not. Lenna has an Air Knife for boosting Syldra. Bartz has the Bone Mail and an Aegis shield as well, whereas everyone else has the best armor from Phantom village (Lenna has the Gold Hairpin, ofc). I have the three Hermes Sandals recommended by Enkibot. The only World 3 content I finished was getting the Magic Lamp, unlocking Odin, and unlocking Syldra.
Are you just going to pick up the fourth one in the Rift? I would just blow 50k because gently caress it why not.

Leviathan is pretty good but Syldra is more than good enough to get work done and saves you two tablets and Fork Tower.

e: also, you can walk out of the Rift. And Teleport out if you have Time Mage :eng101:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Popular run has given me Bard/Mystic/Mystic so far. I might have to just do a 750 run if I want to get my rod destruction catharsis in.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

Alright, I think I'm ready for my final run at the rift. I'm not entirely sure, since I've never gotten this far in FF5 before.

With this party, is there anything else I should do before making a run at the rift? Do I need to grind more levels? When inside, should I just be !Fleeing from all encounters except for bosses (this was my plan)? Chat suggested that Phoenix/Bahamut are worth skipping, so I wasn't planning on doing those. I'm a bit worried about entering the rift and finding out I need to leave to get something and being all pissed off (I will keep backup saves outside of the rift).

I'd buy Crystal Mail in case you want to heal. Yes, buy the Hermes. You have 2 choices for Berserking Shinryu - Beastmaster reflecting a release berserk off a party member or using the Wonder Wand. Personally I think the Wonder Wand is less annoying and lets me use Hermes, but whatever floats your boat. What captures you want to bring in could save some time: big birds for Breath Wing on NED, Executor for Level Death and a guaranteed Twin Tania kill for example, but Great Dragons, Crystelles, Mammons and Galajellies can be found in the rift itself.

Edit - you do not have the HP to survive Almagest, so you can either capture a Crystelle for Mighty Guard, pray for Aegis blocks, get a few levels, or attempt some sort of burn on that piece.

derra fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 28, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

With this party, is there anything else I should do before making a run at the rift?

If this is your first time beating FFV, you might as well explore the other tablet dungeons and Phoenix Tower for novelty's sake, especially since your team has no trouble killing them (I think there's like one enemy in all three dungeons combined that doesn't die instantly to Odin).

Whether or not you'll flee from everything in the final dungeon is up to you. You certainly don't need the extra levels, but Syldra/Odin/Leviathan clear house in there anyway.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Was granted knight, time mage, ranger, chemist this year, which I think is the first time I've ever gotten a team without two or three slackers so I'm looking forward to dumptrucking a bunch of stuff that always gave me trouble- world 1's already been a total breeze. I've never gotten chemist in fiesta, how many turtle shells should I plan to leave world 1 with?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
99, then never fight a random encounter again

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

As I've mentioned many times before, this is my first time though FFV and the FJF. I was granted an apparently broken team of White Mage/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Chemist.

Because the FJF relies on an intimate knowledge of game mechanics that I lack, I have to ask what items/weapons/armor/accessories should I be looking for and grinding out that I would otherwise miss? I understand that Chemist can be effective with store bought items, but I don't know for what I need to be grinding.

For reference, I'm at the Garula fight at the water crystal right now. I missed the Flail my first time through the graveyard, so I went back and grabbed that with the help of the Healing Staff.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shadow225 posted:

As I've mentioned many times before, this is my first time though FFV and the FJF. I was granted an apparently broken team of White Mage/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Chemist.

Because the FJF relies on an intimate knowledge of game mechanics that I lack, I have to ask what items/weapons/armor/accessories should I be looking for and grinding out that I would otherwise miss? I understand that Chemist can be effective with store bought items, but I don't know for what I need to be grinding.

For reference, I'm at the Garula fight at the water crystal right now. I missed the Flail my first time through the graveyard, so I went back and grabbed that with the help of the Healing Staff.

Basically, none.

If you didn't have White Mage, it might have been worth it to grind for the Reflect Ring drop from Reflect Knights in the Barrier Tower, but since you can just cast the spell it's not so necessary.

If you didn't have as much offense as you do in Mystic Knight and Beastmaster, it might have been worth it to grind Turtle Shells off turtle monsters, since they're an ingredient in powerful offense Chemist Mix. But since you do have that offense, the few you find naturally throughout the game will probably be plenty.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Because of Beastmaster you can safely grind out a few dark matter from prototypes to take advantage of the early W-2 bosses that aren't heavy. Boatgamesh and Dragon Pod are notable examples. Similarly you can grind out shield dragons for dragon fangs if you don't want to walk back to drakenvale.

Phoenix down+dragon fang is a really good but expensive mix that gives regen, shell, protect, and reflect. Much more efficient than casting those with white.

I would advise stocking up on holy water and maidens kiss from Bartz hometown. You can have your MK use spellsword then use blessed kiss to berserk and haste him for a cheap way to increase damage output. I've done this a fair bit with my Ninja and the berserk bonus to damage is nothing to laugh at.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm only 66 on everyone, you think that's good enough for Omniscient? How many procs did it take you to :black101:

e: wait, is it better with 3x Mage Masher rather than 1x Masher and sync up the speed and try to murder with fewer procs?

Not sure, the problem is with just a knife and Hermes it would alternate between Faris and Krile acting 1st IIRC. So maybe Lenna could have CK or something to speed up damage.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Is there a Beastmaster !Release that will a) petrify the Almagest casting part of NED and b) still work on the Mobile version?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

Is there a Beastmaster !Release that will a) petrify the Almagest casting part of NED and b) still work on the Mobile version?

Orukat at the waterfalls near Omega, but I've never tried it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Probably easier to just catch a Crystelle at that point. Unless you've sold the Dancing Dagger.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

derra posted:

I'd buy Crystal Mail in case you want to heal. Yes, buy the Hermes. You have 2 choices for Berserking Shinryu - Beastmaster reflecting a release berserk off a party member or using the Wonder Wand. Personally I think the Wonder Wand is less annoying and lets me use Hermes, but whatever floats your boat. What captures you want to bring in could save some time: big birds for Breath Wing on NED, Executor for Level Death and a guaranteed Twin Tania kill for example, but Great Dragons, Crystelles, Mammons and Galajellies can be found in the rift itself.

Edit - you do not have the HP to survive Almagest, so you can either capture a Crystelle for Mighty Guard, pray for Aegis blocks, get a few levels, or attempt some sort of burn on that piece.

Samuel Clemens posted:

If this is your first time beating FFV, you might as well explore the other tablet dungeons and Phoenix Tower for novelty's sake, especially since your team has no trouble killing them (I think there's like one enemy in all three dungeons combined that doesn't die instantly to Odin).

Whether or not you'll flee from everything in the final dungeon is up to you. You certainly don't need the extra levels, but Syldra/Odin/Leviathan clear house in there anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I did not have the HP to survive Algamest, but on Clemens suggestion I went and did Phoenix for shits. When Algamest hit on my second attempt, Bartz survived and then Golem facetanked a 2.5k Vacuum Wave. With Phoenix I was able to rez the party (with max MP!) and seal the deal with some Boosted Syldras. A fun ending for sure. Thanks for the help all!

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 28, 2017

Dwall
Jun 14, 2016
If full Brave Blades are still being counted, here's another one.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Final Party Part 3: Berserker, Ninja, Monk, Ranger.

From my limited knowledge, I don't think it is a Triple Crown without massive leveling and luck but the rest of the game will be mostly easy street.

You may be lacking spellblade, but Dual wield x-fight is still really strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

For your current party, a lot of the buyable material mixes will still be useful for you. Levisalve, Samson's might, and the elemental absorption mixes. Blessed Kiss is the broken one that can beserk anything. Use it to break enemy AI routines. Do not use it on the final boss.

Turtle shells are easy to get and can be used in a number of useful mixes. You'll still want them for turtle soup, hasty-ade, Succubus Kiss, and dud potion. Farm them up while you can.

For Dragon fangs, you want Dragon's kiss, Dragon shield, and Goliath Tonic. Don't bother with the +20 level mixes, samson's might is muuuuch cheaper and gets the job done just fine. Farm these at the dragon graveyard mountain.

Dark Matter won't do much for you except for death potions and shadow flare.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 29, 2017

• Locked thread