Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'll admit I didn't know anything about Sally Yates before she was fired, but god drat she is awesome. Smart, competent and clearly follows a strong code of ethics.

I hope she runs for office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

That Orange Bastard

There has to be some kind of Sin City filter, it loses it's impact in color

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"Rick thought the worst part of the day was over"

Ron Howard: "It wasn't."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/879867195106492416

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/879868561442955265

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Who could have guessed?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I'll admit I didn't know anything about Sally Yates before she was fired, but god drat she is awesome. Smart, competent and clearly follows a strong code of ethics.

I miss the Obama admin mostly because it meant having intelligent people in government.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

And she's from goddamn georgia :getin:

edit* oh gently caress she's a bulldog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYa8gy3vOvE

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 28, 2017

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Birb have original cover:

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights/status/879840865740480513

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Somewhere, Grover Norquist got an unexplainable erection.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

It is the weirdest thing watching people like your boss vape while you do things for him and its the most casual thing ever for them. Every time I look its as if they're taking a small bong out and taking a puff on the walk.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Every time I look its as if they're taking a small bong out and taking a puff on the walk.

This would probably improve the American congressional process.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

So wait, we're going to take health insurance subsidies away so people with more money than they know what to do with can have more money? Man, that kind of sucks. Did you ever think maybe we shouldn't do that?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The Lone Badger posted:

First act of my dictatorship, the Dylan Rule. Everybody must get stoned.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

The Lone Badger posted:

"Mr. Speaker, I move that the House shall proceed with the morning prayer and the morning bong rip, do I have a second?"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Quorum posted:

"Mr. Speaker, I move that the House shall proceed with the morning prayer and the morning bong rip, do I have a second?"

"I'd like to concede my puff and pass to the distinguished gentleman from Hawaii, so as to not break the cycle."

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Nice

The Lone Badger posted:

You just loving know they'd all be completely horrible to get high with (especially the republicans, but let's be honest, most dems too). Either they'd get completely paranoid or emotional and you'd ruin your buzz trying to talk them down, or they'd act muuuchhh higher than they actually were and badly reenact Cheech and Chong routines or make lame jokes about "wacky tobaccy"

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Quorum posted:

Is there a morning Christian prayer in the House? I'm an American citizen, and you have got to be loving kidding. please?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

You just loving know they'd all be completely horrible to get high with (especially the republicans, but let's be honest, most dems too). Either they'd get completely paranoid or emotional and you'd ruin your buzz trying to talk them down, or they'd act muuuchhh higher than they actually were and badly reenact Cheech and Chong routines or make lame jokes about "wacky tobaccy"

The gently caress is this?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

I would absolutely get stoned with Franken. Lindsey Graham would be a hoot too if you could ignore how much of a shithead he is.

edit: former senator from Illinois would be a good choice too

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

The gently caress is this?

Republicans would be lovely to smoke weed with, news at 11.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I loving love ProBirdRights.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, is there any truth to McConnell having a reputation for being smart, as opposed to just brazenly corrupt and too wrapped up in right wing politics to be called out for it without it being "partisan"? Because this is the same thing that Ryan did before he blinked hard and pulled the bill.
If McConnell was smart, he probably would have fixed his hosed up teeth rather than curling his lips over them for 30 years.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

KickerOfMice posted:

Is there a morning Christian prayer in the House? I'm an American citizen, and you have got to be loving kidding. please?

https://chaplain.house.gov/archive/

Edit:

quote:

06/26/2017
Reverend Patrick J. Conroy, S.J.

Gracious God, thank You for giving us another day.

We ask Your blessing of strength and perseverance that each Member might best serve their constituents and our entire Nation.

The debates and issues that dominate the legislative landscape, as always, are contentious and challenging. Many Americans are anxious to know what will come to pass.

Bless the Members of Congress with wisdom, equanimity, and good will as they struggle to find solutions that might unite rather than further divide our Nation. We know this is a lot to ask, but grant also to all Americans increased faith and hope, virtues most in need in these difficult days, that their Representatives might faithfully perform their appointed tasks.

May all that is done this day be for Your greater honor and glory. Amen.

lol.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

ought ten posted:

I would absolutely get stoned with Franken. Lindsey Graham would be a hoot too if you could ignore how much of a shithead he is.

edit: former senator from Illinois would be a good choice too

I have to admit, GWB. He would probably be a nice dumb guy when he's high and just want to play videogames. :kiddo:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Serfer posted:

If McConnell was smart, he probably would have fixed his hosed up teeth rather than curling his lips over them for 30 years.

The goofy, animal cartoon character look does well for those with monstrous intentions, actually. Just consider Toad-lord, Boris Johnson.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's the dark side.

They'll blow our planet up!

no one will get this

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

KickerOfMice posted:

Republicans would be lovely to smoke weed with, news at 11.

It's an oddly hypothetical complaint.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

BadOptics posted:

https://chaplain.house.gov/archive/

Reverend Patrick J. Conroy, S.J.

Gracious God, thank You for giving us another day.

We ask Your blessing of strength and perseverance that each Member might best serve their constituents and our entire Nation.

The debates and issues that dominate the legislative landscape, as always, are contentious and challenging. Many Americans are anxious to know what will come to pass.

Bless the Members of Congress with wisdom, equanimity, and good will as they struggle to find solutions that might unite rather than further divide our Nation. We know this is a lot to ask, but grant also to all Americans increased faith and hope, virtues most in need in these difficult days, that their Representatives might faithfully perform their appointed tasks.

May all that is done this day be for Your greater honor and glory. Amen.

lol.

:stare:

Take off and nuke the House from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. The House of Representatives is so riddled with dunderheads it's confusing to realize.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

KickerOfMice posted:

There's always a prayer, which is almost always a Christian one, though they're usually fairly non-denominational, and there are the occasional Jewish ones and even more occasional Islamic ones, under the Guest Chaplain Program which allows Representatives to sponsor faith leaders to give the morning prayer. (No points for guessing which Representative sponsored the Imam, though his prayer is pretty great actually, despite the introduction having to explain to everyone what an "imam" is and the prayer including like a paragraph on how religious freedom is cool, put away your torches.)

This follows a tradition established in the UK House of Commons, whose daily business also always begins with a prayer, though theirs is always Christian as far as I'm aware-- comes from having a state church. Canada's House of Commons has one too, though it's always the same one:

quote:

Almighty God, we give thanks for the great blessings which have been bestowed on Canada and its citizens, including the gifts of freedom, opportunity and peace that we enjoy. We pray for our Sovereign, Queen Elizabeth, and the Governor General. Guide us in our deliberations as Members of Parliament, and strengthen us in our awareness of our duties and responsibilities as Members. Grant us wisdom, knowledge, and understanding to preserve the blessings of this country for the benefit of all and to make good laws and wise decisions. Amen.

KickerOfMice posted:

:stare:

Take off and nuke the House from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. The House of Representatives is so riddled with dunderheads it's confusing to realize.

This is very standard Evangelical Christian prayer-speak, to be honest.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Other than having a vaguely denominational chaplain, I honestly don't see the problem here.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Let me guess, this COngress prayer became a thing during the Cold War as a gently caress you to the Commies

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

"May all that is done this day be for Your greater honor and glory, including the denial of healthcare for 22 million Americans so we can give more money to the rich. Amen." -GOP

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Other than having a vaguely denominational chaplain, I honestly don't see the problem here.

Didn't say it was a problem, just giving the one dude info he was looking for straight from the source.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 28, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Let me guess, this COngress prayer became a thing during the Cold War as a gently caress you to the Commies

Nope, going as far back as the Second Continential Congress they had a chaplain open with a prayer. America has been religious as gently caress since the get go.

Good guess with the pledge and all though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

gregday posted:

your brain cannot fathom the levels of unsubtle and stupid that he is

Just replace Giygas with Trump.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BadOptics posted:

"May all that is done this day be for Your greater honor and glory, including the denial of healthcare for 22 million Americans so we can give more money to the rich. Amen." -GOP

Didn't say it was a problem, just giving the one dude info he was looking for straight from the source.

I probably meant to rebut KickerOfMice, sorry. :v:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Serfer posted:

A history:

High school

2013 I think.

Ya know, they weren't even that bad.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reminder that the founding fathers disagreed strenuously on what "freedom of religion" and the Establishment Clause even meant. At any rate, the chaplain thing was as I said more of a holdover from their copy-paste of the Westminster system than some sort of expression of the religiosity of America, specifically.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

It's an oddly hypothetical complaint.

Not really hypothetical, back in my chemical ingesting days I did it. It's just far less than fun, especially with young republicans - some are genuine psychopaths, but most aren't evil people, they just suck at being empathetic. It's fascinating and honestly inspires sympathy in me, to see them in such a disarmed state.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Our moron president doesn't know a god drat thing about the Senate bill

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/879889902275526656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rigel posted:

Our moron president doesn't know a god drat thing about the Senate bill

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/879889902275526656

Yeah, I was just about to post this

So is he trying to do both a Nixon speedrun and a Reagan speedrun at the same time?

• Locked thread