Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Best to wait for the Holiday sale, then. I'm sure this "company" will still be available. Or wait for a bundle.

They're trying for another kid in August so by Christmas they'll be inundated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Blattdorf posted:

Any opinions on the Immortal Redneck? It seems like a neat little FPS rougelite.

I've sunk about 30 hours into it so far and I LOVE it. I was keeping an eye on the game for several months before it was released, but the videos made the combat/"gunfeel" look pretty anemic and underwhelming. I ended up not purchasing the game until the v1.2 was released, which talked a lot about how they were revamping the guns. As far as FPS Roguelites go (which I suppose would include stuff like Eldritch, Ziggurat, Killing Room, Tower of Guns, Heavy Bullets, etc.), this is absolutely my favorite one. The enemies have distinct behaviors and attack patterns, almost all of the 50+ weapons are varied and feel good to use, and the rooms emphasize a lot more verticality, traps, and scenarios than any other FPS Roguelite I've played.

-Blackadder- posted:

This sounds dope. Speaking of which what are the good Cthulhu games? I already played Call of Cthulhu.

You might want to take a look at Conarium. I wrote a review on the Steam page (I'm Cream-of-Plenty on Steam, and it's currently one of the "most helpful" reviews) but in general, it's a pretty drat faithful interpretation of Cthulhu Mythos elements. Fairly linear, with simple puzzles and a relatively short story (4-5 hours?) but will probably appeal to Lovecraft fans.

Unfortunately, it's not on sale right now, and $19.99 is probably pretty steep for the experience. Throw it on your wishlist (if it looks interesting) and wait until it's $10-12.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 28, 2017

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

They're trying for another kid in August so by Christmas they'll be inundated.

If it's getting the first of potentially many DLCs in August I'd wait for the GOTY edition.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

pretty sure that many add-ons just ruins the company

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

Dishonored dlc is just as good if not somehwat better than the original story. But no, it's their own separate mini campaigns so no benefit. (Don't get the trials of Dunwall dlc tho unless you want timed challenge stuff)

Thanks, I'll circle back around for those next sale then.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

kater posted:

pretty sure that many add-ons just ruins the company

It depends if it's just cosmetic DLC or a true expansion taking time to nurture. If you can idle the DLC with Steam Achievement Babysitter, you're good to go.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If I had a choice between Fallout 3, Far Cry 4 and Fallout: New Vegas, which one would you recommend that I buy?

I don't have any experience with any of these franchises, but since they're so cheap right now, I'd be interested in giving one of them a try.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Fallout New Vegas is definitely better than fallout 3. I dunno about far cry 4.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

-Blackadder- posted:

On a related note I was going to pick up Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, until I discovered that Dragon Ball FighterZ is coming out early next year and is being developed by none other than Arc System Works (of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue fame). People are saying the game looks even more insane than Marvel vs Capcom. I can't freaking wait.

Dragon Ball FighterZ and Xenoverse are two entirely different types of games. I put 40-50 hours or so in to the first Xenoverse game and aside from a couple storyline levels being annoying (due to your AI teammates being suicidal when they have to be kept alive) it was fun. Grinding out some of the abilities lets you completely trivialize things, but Xenoverse 2 appears to have made some tweaks to try and balance the playable races better so it's not just "make a saiyan, get ss2, murder everything forever."

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Far Cry 4, it's really fun and you get a wingsuit.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

black.lion posted:

Far Cry 4, it's really fun and you get a wingsuit.

I've heard it's good. Is it anything like Just Cause 2?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If I had a choice between Fallout 3, Far Cry 4 and Fallout: New Vegas, which one would you recommend that I buy?

I don't have any experience with any of these franchises, but since they're so cheap right now, I'd be interested in giving one of them a try.

Rule out Fallout 3 completely; under no circumstances get it. If you want an RPG get New Vegas. If you want action get Far Cry 4.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mister Adequate posted:

Rule out Fallout 3 completely; under no circumstances get it. If you want an RPG get New Vegas. If you want action get Far Cry 4.

I harbor no hate for Fallout 3 but given the circumstances I fully agree with this advice.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

OK, cool....Far Cry 4 it is, then! I'm looking forward to this. I've heard good things.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Diablo 3 is currently on sale through Blizzard's shop. The base game, and expansion are on sale :10bux: each. Battle chest is :10bux: :10bux:.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

spider wisdom posted:

Gonna mention a few gems that haven't come up yet. Other people here are better at long reviews, so I'll keep these short.

Nova-111, $2 and change: A neat and cutely stylish half turn-based, half real time strategy puzzle thing. Really. I haven't played this one yet because I am a Steam goon (heavenly father gaben gaze favorably upon my backlog amen), but this video gives a nice overview and convinced me to pick it up.

CrossCode, $17: Not heavily discounted and it's been around for a while, but CC reminds me somewhat of Hyper Light Drifter's puzzle/environmental interaction aspects mixed with Konjak's attention to detail in something like The Iconoclasts, wrapped up in a pseudofuture-SNES aesthetic. It's definitely neither of those games, don't get me wrong, but there's a neat top-down RPG in the works here. Updated consistently and has a demo. Don't want this one to fall out of dev like a bunch of other potentially great titles have.

Kero Blaster, $6: A no-frills platformer/run & gun that brings to mind id's early stuff, but tightly focused and created by Studio Pixel of Cave Story fame. Captivating in its simplicity, wonderfully paced and brimming with style with just enough edge to be strange, in the absolutely best way possible. Not something I would have picked up at first blush, and it was a gift, but it handles well and is a joy to experience.

Runners up:

Unity of Command, $3: Older but fantastic intro to hex-based wargames
Tharsis, $5: think FTL: The Boardgame, or Space Alert: Digital Edition
Magicians & Looters, under $2: Worthwhile multi-character/humorous Castlevania-like, questionable art direction, solid game otherwise

Gonna add one more to this list, in case anyone's looking for some side action.

The Superfluous, $2.50: Cutesy Spelunky-like in space. Quick swap between specialized squad members as you descend into an asteroid to blow it up. Collect resources and upgrade/unlock your dudes along the way. Not perfect, but really charming.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

OK, cool....Far Cry 4 it is, then! I'm looking forward to this. I've heard good things.

Try out the coop if you has any interest. Everything except story missions is playable with a partner. It was a lot of fun doing outpost takedowns cooperatively.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Narutoboruto Ultimate Ninja Animestorm 4

y/n?

Someone mentioned it's the last game cyberconnect is working on, so I'm assuming it's packed with ten billion ninjas and stuff, but is it any good?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Alright, this is what I'm entertaining buying from my wishlist:

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Valiant Hearts
Broforce
Hollow Knight
Guacamelee
Darkest Dungeon

I'm on the fence r.e. the latter two.

For Guacamelee, how much Metroidvania overlap is there with Hollow Knight? If they are both similar-ish in gameplay I'll probably want to choose just one, and if so which?

I love the aesthetic of Darkest Dungeon, but unsure if it's something I'll really enjoy. I guess the litmus test is, as someone who enjoyed XCOM2 but found it far too stressful and tedious to complete, is DD worth picking up?

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 28, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

guacamelee is good

it and hollow are fairly different. guacamelee has a much heavier emphasis on platforming, including tricky sequences where you need to be switching between the two worlds mid jump. the combat is much faster paced too.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dragon Ball FighterZ and Xenoverse are two entirely different types of games. I put 40-50 hours or so in to the first Xenoverse game and aside from a couple storyline levels being annoying (due to your AI teammates being suicidal when they have to be kept alive) it was fun. Grinding out some of the abilities lets you completely trivialize things, but Xenoverse 2 appears to have made some tweaks to try and balance the playable races better so it's not just "make a saiyan, get ss2, murder everything forever."

Yeah, I know they're different. I've just always been more into deep fighters though, I could never get into the UNS series as much as something like MvC, so a 2.5D fighter developed by Arc System Works is like a dream come true. Would you still recommend Xenoverse 2? I won't get it this sale, but I might keep in my wishlist for when it get's cheap. It's certainly pretty and looks hype.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 28, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

-Blackadder- posted:

This sounds dope. Speaking of which what are the good Cthulhu games? I already played Call of Cthulhu.

Cthulhu Saves The World. :v:

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, I know they're different. I've just always been more into deep fighters though, I could never get into the UNS series as much as something like MvC, so a 2.5D spectacal fighter developed by Arc System Works is like a dream come true. Would you still recommend Xenoverse 2? I won't get it this sale, but I might keep in my wishlist for when it get's cheap. It's certainly pretty and looks hype.

I haven't played Xenoverse 2 yet due to trying to work my way through an existing backlog (and now Shadows of Mordor) but Xenoverse 1 was overall fun. Xenoverse 1 is also only :10bux: due to being 75% off, but it sounds like Xenoverse 2 is a pretty solid improvement on the first game. I'm sure someone here has played it and can give their thoughts on Xenoverse 2.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Anti-Hero posted:

I really love the aesthetic of Darkest Dungeon, but unsure if it's something I'll really enjoy. I guess the litmus test is, as someone who enjoyed XCOM2 but found it far to stressful and tedious to complete, is DD worth picking up?

I personally love Darkest Dungeon, but the game is very polarizing. I think it really depends on your frame of mind in playing. If you're going to agonize and toil over setbacks and your fight-mans getting skewered constantly then you may struggle with it. In reality though, the game isn't that stressful if you get in the mindset of a ruthless task-master who doesn't blink at tossing his people in the meat grinder. Even with a full party wipe out there is no lose state in the regular game. And you aren't meant to run one party through the whole game. The whole thing is built around forcing you to play like your people are disposable flesh-sacks. I'd recommend watching some fairly recent gameplay videos before buying, if you haven't already. Given the clicky clicky nature of the game, it was pretty easy for me to figure out that I would like it.

Plastic Goldbaby
Sep 8, 2010

Purple horseshoes?
Sure, if they be nailed to a golden horse.
Went digging for a bunch of smaller, cheaper games but I'm looking to trim the list a little. Any suggestions on what to axe?

Valdis Story
Reigns
Bloodgate
Neo Scavenger
This War of Mine
Pony Island
You Must Build a Boat
Massive Chalice
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Shrouded in Sanity
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
Paper Sorcerer
Flamebreak

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
YMBAB is unbalanced garbage. Grinding won't help you in that game.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

Went digging for a bunch of smaller, cheaper games but I'm looking to trim the list a little. Any suggestions on what to axe?

Valdis Story
Reigns
Bloodgate
Neo Scavenger
This War of Mine
Pony Island
You Must Build a Boat
Massive Chalice
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Shrouded in Sanity
Paper Sorcerer
Flamebreak

Can't help with most of that but you best keep Crypt of the Necrodancer on there so help me God.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

Valdis Story
Reigns
Bloodgate
Neo Scavenger
This War of Mine
Pony Island
You Must Build a Boat
Massive Chalice
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Shrouded in Sanity
Paper Sorcerer
Flamebreak

definitely buy necrodancer

flamebreak didnt do that much for me

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm on the fence r.e. the latter two.

For Guacamelee, how much Metroidvania overlap is there with Hollow Knight? If they are both similar-ish in gameplay I'll probably want to choose just one, and if so which?

I love the aesthetic of Darkest Dungeon, but unsure if it's something I'll really enjoy. I guess the litmus test is, as someone who enjoyed XCOM2 but found it far too stressful and tedious to complete, is DD worth picking up?

I vastly prefer Hollow Knight to Guacamelee, but both are quite good. Guacamelee plays a little more like a beat-em-up with some brutal platforming, whereas Hollow Knight is more about smooth sword combat and exploration.

I haven't played XCOM2 but the moment someone complains about stress and tedium, I feel obligated to warn them away from Darkest Dungeon because those are the two biggest knocks against it even among people that love it. Beating one game (on normal difficulty, there's a shorter, easier one now) takes over 50 hours of somewhat repetitive missions where you need to make a lot of very difficult decisions to succeed. Failure can mean losing hours of progress put into the characters that die, which is usually the point that people ragequit out forever. If you can deal with all that it's an amazing experience, but no matter how much you love it, you'll be glad when it's over.

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

[b]Valdis Story

I've tried multiple times to get into Valdis Story and it just never happens. It's a very technical, unforgiving platformer that's lacking on some key quality-of-life elements like a good map system.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I personally love Darkest Dungeon, but the game is very polarizing. I think it really depends on your frame of mind in playing. If you're going to agonize and toil over setbacks and your fight-mans getting skewered constantly then you may struggle with it. In reality though, the game isn't that stressful if you get in the mindset of a ruthless task-master who doesn't blink at tossing his people in the meat grinder. Even with a full party wipe out there is no lose state in the regular game. And you aren't meant to run one party through the whole game. The whole thing is built around forcing you to play like your people are disposable flesh-sacks. I'd recommend watching some fairly recent gameplay videos before buying, if you haven't already. Given the clicky clicky nature of the game, it was pretty easy for me to figure out that I would like it.

Thanks, I've been watching ChristopherODD on youtube play and it looks fun, but he's also very deliberate and I might find having to be so thoughtful in the game frustrating.

Hearing that there is no fail state is a relief, though; the doomsday clock in XCOM2 really put me off. I enjoyed strategy games back before timers became the norm.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Xenoverse 2 is very good, I think it is more like an Action RPG than a fighting game.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

YMBAB is unbalanced garbage. Grinding won't help you in that game.

I liked it

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

Valdis Story
Reigns
Bloodgate
Neo Scavenger
This War of Mine
Pony Island
You Must Build a Boat
Massive Chalice
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Shrouded in Sanity
Paper Sorcerer
Flamebreak

Keep Crypt of the Necrodancer

Drop Fahrenheit, you're probably better off watching an LP if you're interested in the craziness than playing that trash.

You Must Build a Boat is not a game to be played on PC, get it on a phone if you want it. I didn't like it, but I don't like that kind of game.

Dunno about the others, but I'm considering This War of Mine too

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

Valdis Story
Reigns
Bloodgate
Neo Scavenger
This War of Mine
Pony Island
You Must Build a Boat
Massive Chalice
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Shrouded in Sanity
Paper Sorcerer
Flamebreak

I typically enjoy quirky games like it but I hated Pony Island.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

victrix posted:

y/n?

Someone mentioned it's the last game cyberconnect is working on, so I'm assuming it's packed with ten billion ninjas and stuff, but is it any good?

It's quite fun for what it is, worth 7.5 bucks for the story mode imo if you wanna turn your brain off and enjoy hitting 4 buttons and then sitting back and watching your ninja(s) absolutely wreck some poo poo, complete with slowmo cutaways where you you give eulogies for the soon to be destroyed. Tbh I might have enjoyed ninja storm 3 slightly more as it tended to have slightly more depth to flagging some of the secret cutscenes but both are polished games that give you the exact sort of mindless escapism you could ask for. I think the story was ~10 hours.

There is certainly some level of depth to the combat system but the game does't really force you to learn it unless you're playing it for pvp.

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, I know they're different. I've just always been more into deep fighters though, I could never get into the UNS series as much as something like MvC, so a 2.5D fighter developed by Arc System Works is like a dream come true. Would you still recommend Xenoverse 2? I won't get it this sale, but I might keep in my wishlist for when it get's cheap. It's certainly pretty and looks hype.

Xenoverse 2 is a lot of fun and totally worth what it's priced at now but if you don't wanna get particularly involved in the online scene (and I hear it's more poppin on the PS anyways) there's no reason not to wait if you're on the fence. It's not necessarily a particularly well balanced or deep fighting game but it actually does have pretty straightforward strategies to fight higher level opponents and is more forgiving than xenoverse 1 in terms of what abilities are worth using (basically you can do whatever you want if you can land certain staple mechanics that are available to every character). If you end up enjoying the rpg aspect of unlocking new stuff and trying it out you'll easily get at least 25 hours, prolly double that.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 28, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

victrix posted:

y/n?

I've been really liking it as someone who stopped paying attention to Naruto for a good 12 years. I haven't done much of the story stuff but having a lot of fun just fighting. It's $7

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

ZZZorcerer posted:

I'm considering This War of Mine too

Don't know or don't care about any others, but get This War of Mine. It's really worth unique experience it offers.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Should I get Dark Souls 3? I have never played a Dark Souls, but I thoroughly enjoyed fighting Lynels in Zelda and I hear combat is somewhat like that but harder.

That or Diablo 3...

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Polish posted:

Should I get Dark Souls 3? I have never played a Dark Souls, but I thoroughly enjoyed fighting Lynels in Zelda and I hear combat is somewhat like that but harder.

That or Diablo 3...

Buy all Dark Souls, buy a PS4 and play Bloodborne

poisonpill posted:

Don't know or don't care about any others, but get This War of Mine. It's really worth unique experience it offers.

I'll add it to the list then :respek:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ZZZorcerer posted:

buy a PS4 and play Bloodborne
this goes for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Polish posted:

Should I get Dark Souls 3?

It is not available as complete edition and thes e games always get one.
Why not grab Dark Souls 1 Prepare to Die edition for cheaper at this point, try it and then buy 3 when all the DLC is bundled with it?
Or grab the humble monthly it has DS2 and a bunch of other games and costs the same as DS2 on steam or even less if you haven't subscribed to humble monthly before.

• Locked thread