Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LPG Giant posted:

After you finish the plateau you can find the doublet in the old man's hut!

And you can buy spares in Hateno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This is news to me!! But I'll probably warp back after I find this tower in the distance

For this game you definitely have to make a list of what you want to accomplish in a given session because just getting around the plateau took me a few hours

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

LPG Giant posted:

After you finish the plateau you can find the doublet in the old man's hut!

I'm pretty sure my game thinks it's still there; the chest sensor keeps taking me there. I've checked the cliff walls and can't find any that might be throwing it off. Anyone else getting that?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Imagined posted:

I've always been of the opinion that if something is both immensely popular and critically adored, it takes a special kind of arrogance to insist that, in effect, you're the only one smart enough to see that it actually sucks. It seems like the more reasonable conclusion if you find yourself not enjoying a piece of art that literally everyone, public and experts alike, seem to love, that you would just keep your mouth shut or say, "It's not for me."

It's like the difference between saying, "I don't enjoy the Beatles music" and "The Beatles were actually terrible". The former is fine, the latter is as close to factually wrong as you can get in a subjective matter.

So here we have this game that's sold millions and millions of copies, gotten rave reviews from every media outlet on Earth, is one of the definite contenders for Game of the Year and has actually already been said to be one of the best games of all time and to likely change game design forever, but yes, Jonathan Blow, you're the only one discerning enough to see that it's actually garbage. How does someone look at that situation and think, "It's EVERYBODY else who is wrong, not me."?

I'd very much invite you to read through this old article that argues this subject from the perspective of Bioshock Infinite reviews. I'd quote specific parts, but I'd have to quote so much because it covers this subject very thoroughly. It covers majority versus minority opinions, critics vs reviewers vs public, subjectivity and objectivity, and lots more about the nature of video game reviews/judgements. There's a section that contends specifically, "It's not my thing", as you brought up.

It has a harsh tone, but it does so for a very specific reason. It's a bit lengthy, but that's because it needs to address many things on this tricky subject.

Back to Jonathon Blow, in all likeliness he may not be a good video game reviewer. However, that doesn't mean anyone who disagrees with the consensus is a bad reviewer. And someone who takes a stand for their own judgement and values doesn't mean they are a bad reviewer either.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ventana posted:

I'd very much invite you to read through this old article that argues this subject from the perspective of Bioshock Infinite reviews. I'd quote specific parts, but I'd have to quote so much because it covers this subject very thoroughly. It covers majority versus minority opinions, critics vs reviewers vs public, subjectivity and objectivity, and lots more about the nature of video game reviews/judgements. There's a section that contends specifically, "It's not my thing", as you brought up.

It has a harsh tone, but it does so for a very specific reason. It's a bit lengthy, but that's because it needs to address many things on this tricky subject.

Back to Jonathon Blow, in all likeliness he may not be a good video game reviewer. However, that doesn't mean anyone who disagrees with the consensus is a bad reviewer. And someone who takes a stand for their own judgement and values doesn't mean they are a bad reviewer either.

That's a good article, but I don't think it applies to Blow's reactions to BOTW at all. They're shallow and informed by him either not observing obvious things or him clearly ignoring them/intentionally playing badly to justify them.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Oh I wasn't trying to really relate that article to Blow himself. That's why I added the bottom part of the post to say Blow is not a good reviewer. The article is mostly for that posters argument.

You can't really trust Blow's opinion in the same way you can't trust a movie critic who closed their eyes for the entire movie. There is a difference between trying something and not liking it for specific reasons, and then there's not even attempting to engage the game. Blow is purposely being a dumbass in that stream and hiding behind "that's just how I think, bro" as if it's a shield from other opinions (which is not the point).

Ventana fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 28, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I find the controls to be really good. I changed the jump button to B and it feels like your regular action adventure game. Pretty intuitive honestly.

How do I cook while on the go? Haven't seen another of those pot things since I jumped off the plateau

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carlosologist posted:

I find the controls to be really good. I changed the jump button to B and it feels like your regular action adventure game. Pretty intuitive honestly.

How do I cook while on the go? Haven't seen another of those pot things since I jumped off the plateau

There are cooking pots at almost every town and stable, and you can build a campfire to roast single pieces of meat for a quick top-off

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Carlosologist posted:

This is news to me!! But I'll probably warp back after I find this tower in the distance

For this game you definitely have to make a list of what you want to accomplish in a given session because just getting around the plateau took me a few hours

Or you can do what I do and just wander aimlessly, following interesting distractions as you come across them, not caring whether you soon achieve the objective you originally started out for.

There's no one right way to play the game, and that's one of its greatest qualities.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I could sail around hoping my shrine sensor goes off, but there's a good chance it's going to be another test of strength shrine which rewards me with a weapon worse than the stuff I'm already holding.

On my last few shrines I had a moment where Link was coming down the elevator and I recognized the water in the background. Not just "walk up and take the shrine" water, fighting water. Got me all amped up.

There's something to be said about those fights either being ridiculously hard or trivialized by great gear. I really liked the alternate fights where you have to use the ice or magnet to make the 'pillar' for the guardian to whack into on the spinning attack, but my brother got through the game without realizing those were even options with a much more aggressive style.

If you're totally convinced the game's trivial and not providing enough challenge, you could always speed run it. Record w/ Epona from an Amiibo is still 38 minutes? Granted, I'm not a fan of stasis jumps and probably won't ever get the timing down. But I have done a <12 hour run hitting a couple of the dungeons and that last fight takes some serious effort without outside prep.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Ventana posted:

You know what, this was really good and gave me a lot to think about. Thanks for sharing it with me. Without realizing it, I actually felt the same way (intensely underwhelmed) by some of the same games as this reviewer (Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite) but just shrugged and kept my mouth shut so as not to appear contrarian in the face of something seemingly everyone else liked or "poo poo on the salad", as my wife likes to say instead of "rain on their parade", of people who did like those things.

That being said, Blow is still a dick.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
That's a great article. I was bitching about Bioshock Infinite in another thread and that guy explains it way better.

BotW is an immeasurably better game than Infinite (which is garbage), but it's drat near completely gushing critical reception does make me roll my eyes a bit and feel the same division that guy is writing in the last several segments of that piece.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Haha I just discovered that if you use the Zora armor to swim up the waterfall coming off the Great Plateau it starts doing the major freezing water damage about halfway up. Would be an interesting way to die. Also I drowned in the tiny waterfall by the lost treasure from the "little twin" quest by running out of stamina at the top and then falling into it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Imagined posted:

You know what, this was really good and gave me a lot to think about. Thanks for sharing it with me. Without realizing it, I actually felt the same way (intensely underwhelmed) by some of the same games as this reviewer (Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite) but just shrugged and kept my mouth shut so as not to appear contrarian in the face of something seemingly everyone else liked or "poo poo on the salad", as my wife likes to say instead of "rain on their parade", of people who did like those things.

I was pretty much the same way before the article came out. It's a lot easier to try to avoid confrontation on these subjective things.

In reading that article again, I think the important thing to remember is that behind every review and judgement is a human. Someone with emotions and values. We shouldn't restrain those aspects, because in the end it'll restrain both ourselves (our values, the judgements based on those values, and expressions of those values) and others (without listening to other viewpoints, we'll never expand our own horizons). We shouldn't have to forcibly make people settle on the middle, or tell them not to express those. We can settle on "agree to disagree", but not use that line as a cover to avoid discussion.

It sucks because it DOES mean that you'll have to put up with things like the occasional Jonathon Blow opinion. People with viewpoints that seem crazy to you. But as long as they are in good faith you can still maybe find something of value from a discussion, even if you ultimately disagree.

And that's where this Blow stream fails. It's not because he's biased; biased would at least mean he's expressing some sort of values or have a narrative behind him. No, he's just stifling discussion. He reads the chat but doesn't engage with them. He blindly attacks random things in the game without narrative or reason, and under false pretenses (cause there's no way he really is that dumb). If he can't be honest in his viewpoints, then there really is no discussion to be had.

So in short

Imagined posted:

Blow is still a dick.

p.s. that guy also has a pretty cool take on Botw as well, if you read down his quick thoughts on this twitter thread

https://twitter.com/tevisthompson/status/846780435422068736

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
One of the loading screen hints mentions a'vendor at the far reaches of the continent that trades in heart and stamina vessels.' Is that actually a vendor for hearts and such, just a statue like all the rest, or the respec one? I would just Google it, but I'd rather get hints about it as opposed to straight up what it is.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dimo ArKacho posted:

One of the loading screen hints mentions a'vendor at the far reaches of the continent that trades in heart and stamina vessels.' Is that actually a vendor for hearts and such, just a statue like all the rest, or the respec one? I would just Google it, but I'd rather get hints about it as opposed to straight up what it is.

Respec statue.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Respec statue.

God dammit. I was hoping for some weird cave or island with exorbitantly priced hearts.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I like the big horse, because it's large enough that you can ride over other riders with it and if you talk to a traveler on it, you can instantly run over them when they aggro.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dimo ArKacho posted:

One of the loading screen hints mentions a'vendor at the far reaches of the continent that trades in heart and stamina vessels.'

The "far reaches" bit should definitely have been rewritten, since Hateno is literally the second place the story sends you after leaving the plateau.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Supercar Gautier posted:

The "far reaches" bit should definitely have been rewritten, since Hateno is literally the second place the story sends you after leaving the plateau.

Someone earlier said its name in Japanese translates to something like "World's End", I think.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

Someone earlier said its name in Japanese translates to something like "World's End", I think.

And that actually makes more sense because Hateno is described as one of the places untouched by Calamity Ganon's corruption.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

So I used an Amibo and got Epona.......on the Great Plateau.
There is no way off for a horse, is there?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BioTech posted:

Nope!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/dlc-pack-one-countdown-tingles-outfit/

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ventana posted:

In reading that article again, I think the important thing to remember is that behind every review and judgement is a human.

My reading of the article was basically "THINK! PLEASE THINK FOR YOURSELF! GODDAMMIT JUST LOOK AT WHAT YOU'RE PLAYING AND THINK!"

But yeah, agreed on all points, pretty cool article. Still not sure I can trust a man that gives Super Metroid a 5 but he's much more well spoken and articulate than myself so he's more than worth reading.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BioTech posted:

Nope but don't worry she'll show up again eventually if you keep using the Amiibo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BioTech posted:

Scan the TP Link amiibo, and you can get a second Epona.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SatansBestBuddy posted:

My reading of the article was basically "THINK! PLEASE THINK FOR YOURSELF! GODDAMMIT JUST LOOK AT WHAT YOU'RE PLAYING AND THINK!"

But yeah, agreed on all points, pretty cool article. Still not sure I can trust a man that gives Super Metroid a 5 but he's much more well spoken and articulate than myself so he's more than worth reading.

I'm sorry, what? I don't want to look this up because it will make me irrationally angry.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

I'm sorry, what? I don't want to look this up because it will make me irrationally angry.

Basically he thought the first game was much more hostile, menacing and mysterious while the second was "just a game".

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Yeah how he views sequels and how they shouldn't be "More of the same/a good thing." is where Tevis kind of loses me. Not in the sense that a sequel shouldn't try and do anything new, but that a well made entry that keeps a good thing going without loving things up is worthy of scorn rather than contentment.

I actually saw his declining view of the Souls series coming a mile away after seeing how they approaches sequels when he first talked about how much of a revelation playing Demon's Souls was. Dark Souls having already been released after he said that, I knew if they kept making more entries into the series he'd start getting less and less enamored with the franchise until...

https://twitter.com/tevisthompson/status/750438980953399296

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One of the interesting things about video games as a medium is the tension between their multifaceted nature as simultaneously works of narrative, works of visual art, and consumer products. Should this be evaluated like a movie, like a comic book, or like a pinball table? Is the most important or interesting thing about it the mechanics? The presentation? The immersion of the player into the world? Or the story? Different people have different values and weigh all these things differently on a per-game and per-genre basis.

Frankly, a lot of video game critics are heavy on the consumer product aspect and go light on the rest because that's the most "objective" and least controversial way not to piss off both their readers and the industry they depend on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Imagined posted:

Basically he thought the first game was much more hostile, menacing and mysterious while the second was "just a game".

And what did he think of Super Metroid?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Har har you knew what I meant.

Edit: "Super Metroid" = "the second one" because my parents didn't love me and I never had a Gameboy.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 28, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Imagined posted:

Har har you knew what I meant.

No? You shared his thoughts on Metroid 1 and 2; I'm curious what he thought of 3 (especially if 2 wasn't "hostile" enough for him or whatever)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Metroid 2 is but a myth, a legend if you will...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Imagined posted:

Frankly, a lot of video game critics are heavy on the consumer product aspect and go light on the rest because that's the most "objective" and least controversial way not to piss off both their readers and the industry they depend on.

I really wish the gaming world would move past this. I know its partly due to the comparatively high price of games compared to other media, but still I think its a far more negative tendency than a positive one.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Capitalism should leave to make videogames better

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I finally hit 50% completion today. Can't wait for the korok mask on Friday, that'll make finding the rest a helluva lot easier.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jonathan Blow seems bad at video games and mad that everything's not a dot puzzle.

Also his games aren't fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

JawnV6 posted:

There's something to be said about those fights either being ridiculously hard or trivialized by great gear. I really liked the alternate fights where you have to use the ice or magnet to make the 'pillar' for the guardian to whack into on the spinning attack, but my brother got through the game without realizing those were even options with a much more aggressive style.

I didn't know those were options either. I died a few times on those fights till my five year old pointed out the obvious.