Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Go here and click the "Customize Your Queue" button: http://store.steampowered.com/explore/
I believe adding tags to that filter may affect other recommendations on the site (as well as clicking "not interested" on that Neptunia game)

Other than "anime" (which may be a bit too broad to block outright if you like some related games)... I'd suggest "RPGMaker", "JRPG", "Clicker", "Hidden Object", and "Visual Novel"

I've tried some of those criteria before, but I might take another look. Steam just really, REALLY thinks I want it

Skypie posted:

Is Neptunia the one that's, like, all the game consoles as anime girls? Someone tried to convince me to buy that once.

Yeah looks like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

should I buy phantom pain? Kinda bored of open world shooters but someone told me it has a pokemon-like collecting but with soldiers. also you get to build up a base.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

should I buy phantom pain?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

walgreenslatino posted:

Whoever I was telling not to buy that Crusader Kings expansion like 8 pages ago, I'm a stupid retard don't listen to me, it works fine now and it rules. Sorry

i ignored you and bought it :thumbsup:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Away all Goats posted:

should I buy phantom pain? Kinda bored of open world shooters but someone told me it has a pokemon-like collecting but with soldiers. also you get to build up a base.

It's super fun at first but almost no one gets more than halfway done and apparently Kojima forgot to finish it anyway.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
ground zeroes is better and that's a demo lol

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

if it's on sale for around $5 sure go for it. It gets really grindy though.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

ground zeroes is better and that's a demo lol

This is true.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ultrabindu posted:

if it's on sale for around $5 sure go for it. It gets really grindy though.
It's :20bux:.

Maybe I should buy Dragon's Dogma instead?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Note to self: Never ever bank all your hopes and dreams on a single lvl 400+ murderdeathkill Gladiator, he might piss off in the black of night leaving you with a stable of naked lvl 10s for the grand finale.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

It's really good

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

MGSV is worth it if you like MGS, but like people have mentioned the game quality really drops off in the second half. That, and the base building stuff didn't turn out as great as everyone hoped, there are very few reasons to even visit it.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
MGS 5 is on sale for $16. It's definitely worth it at that price, even if you quit playing half-way through.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
If you're looking for a good driving game, Dirt Rally is 70% off

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Away all Goats posted:

Dragons dogma is a game that by all accounts should not be good, but is somehow extremely good. It has a handful of flaws that hold it back from perfection, but it is a very good time regardless.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Anyone know a game that my dad could play? He's 55 and is incapable of playing games that use two control sticks at once. I've been trying to find one that would work. His favorite game is San Francisco Rush 2049 for the Dreamcast.

He likes racing games but doesn't like the modern free-roam games where you have to drive to different events and poo poo or games that take too long to get to the actual driving. He likes rally sport games, but didn't like dirt 3 as much as the first dirt game. He also likes F Zero, although he isn't very good at it. He hates Mariokart.

As for other games, he likes arcade-style games that don't get too complicated. He does like beat-em-ups. He also likes golfing games.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nebelwerfer posted:

got Wolfenstein, Doom and Darkest Dungeon. Just gonna hope I don't finish DD before these motherfuckers finish downloading

considering darkest dungeon is a punishment simulator that takes a billion hours unless you play easy mode i think you are alright

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

Dragons dogma is a game that by all accounts should not be good, but is somehow extremely good. It has a handful of flaws that hold it back from perfection, but it is a very good time regardless.

they spent all the time making it really fun to play that they forgot to make the world more interesting. unlike other games that usually do the reverse

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Haier posted:

I've been playing DOOM and enjoying it, and I recommend it to anyone on the fence. It just starts you off in the game killing things. No bullshit to deal with, just instant running and gunning.
I wish there was a way to make it less jaggy, because otherwise I play it on ultra settings without any problems.
Anyway, I got the chainsaw and before I could use it, i scrolled through my weapons and when I did that it made the chainsaw disappear forever. Is this normal? I'm 2 hours in and have yet to saw someone up. SAD.

The chainsaw and bfg arent regular weapons in this one, theyre more like tools that have their own key. Chainsaw gives you an instant kill on anything plus a bunch of ammo, bfg is pretty much a shmup bomb that clears the screen of most enemies

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I played through the free episode of life is strange and found it...ok? Would it be worth it to get the rest of the game for 8 bucks

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

really queer Christmas posted:

I played through the free episode of life is strange and found it...ok? Would it be worth it to get the rest of the game for 8 bucks

people like it

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Just bought Chip's challenge. Now I only have 504 steam games

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Should I buy go go Nippon my first trip to Japan?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slave to my cravings posted:

i dont see why not

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Every time someone mentions Dragons Dogma, I think they're talking about Dragons Crown and I get upset because DC is an amazing beat em up that's utterly ruined by the cheesecake

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dragons Brown

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Just bought Starcrawlers and it's really good + cheap.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Well I had $10 in my steam wallet after returning Miscreated, ended up buying the remastered Fable game purely for nostalgia.

Was Fable 2 better or worse than the Fable 1? I never played it but love the first one.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i want to hear about Jose's crusader kings II game.

for content i got binding of isaac rebirth and don't starve, finally.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone know a game that my dad could play? He's 55 and is incapable of playing games that use two control sticks at once. I've been trying to find one that would work. His favorite game is San Francisco Rush 2049 for the Dreamcast.

He likes racing games but doesn't like the modern free-roam games where you have to drive to different events and poo poo or games that take too long to get to the actual driving. He likes rally sport games, but didn't like dirt 3 as much as the first dirt game. He also likes F Zero, although he isn't very good at it. He hates Mariokart.

As for other games, he likes arcade-style games that don't get too complicated. He does like beat-em-ups. He also likes golfing games.

Crazy
loving
Taxi

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pretty much every 40+ gamer I know loving loves Civ. I know it's not in any of the genres you listed but it's worth thinking about esp with his control issues.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
pony island is good too if you dont have it

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

the good fax machine posted:

I think chainsaw is G
This is the one. Thanks.

Maya Fey posted:

The chainsaw and bfg arent regular weapons in this one, theyre more like tools that have their own key. Chainsaw gives you an instant kill on anything plus a bunch of ammo, bfg is pretty much a shmup bomb that clears the screen of most enemies
Well, that's :sad:

slave to my cravings posted:

quote:

As the game's protagonist, you'll travel to famous Japanese sightseeing spots in the company of a pair of beautiful young sisters. The girls will describe the spots, take you out to dinner, and grow closer to you throughout your travels.

The thrill of taking a trip through Japan with pretty girls is the experience offered by this "Guide Game" -- a guidebook in game format!
I didn't know anime girls can be called "beautiful" and "pretty" as a way to entice people to play.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/517710/Redout_Enhanced_Edition/

Modern Wipe Out with speed and pretty colors. It's on sale for a decent price right now.

Also, like Shame on an IGA said, Crazy Taxi. I am not sure if your dad will enjoy the constant need to race the clock, but I am sure it's cheap.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Skypie posted:

Every time someone mentions Dragons Dogma, I think they're talking about Dragons Crown and I get upset because DC is an amazing beat em up that's utterly ruined by the cheesecake

I tried to play this with 4 people and while the game part was okay, we had to spend more time going through menus equipping new gear and skills one by one after each mission than we did playing, it sucked.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Space Crabs posted:

considering darkest dungeon is a punishment simulator that takes a billion hours unless you play easy mode i think you are alright

It's actually pretty easy game after you figure out it's patterns. Stock up on torches and surprise attack everything and always have a leper in your party

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pitdragon posted:

i want to hear about Jose's crusader kings II game.

for content i got binding of isaac rebirth and don't starve, finally.

i've been playing with the game at full speed non-stop and everyone in it hates whoever my player character happens to be but its going ok other than that

Skypie posted:

dragons dogma has a romance system that is determined by how much a character likes you and can result in every npc in the game being who gets rescued at the end. most of the time this will be the princess or female knight involved in most major quests but you can get the castle jester instead because you can give items to people to ensure its them

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Skypie posted:

Nothing is ever ruined by cheesecake. Cheesecake improves everything.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I tried to play this with 4 people and while the game part was okay, we had to spend more time going through menus equipping new gear and skills one by one after each mission than we did playing, it sucked.

hm yeah, that's fair. The menu and customization are...kinda clunky. I just really enjoyed swinging a huge, gently caress-off axe and buttstomping monsters to death with the Amazon.

The Dennis System posted:

Nothing is ever ruined by cheesecake. Cheesecake improves everything.

Counterpoint: :nws: maybe? http://i.imgur.com/pBNgIZx.mp4

also I decided to throw Shadow of Mordor and DOOM into my cart, now I gotta figure out what Crusader Kings 2 DLC to get

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Did Mad Max turn out ok? I remember some complaining about it when it came out but now the reviews look really good and it's pretty cheap.

Also is Elite Dangerous still worth getting or has some other new space sim hotness usurped it?

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Dogmeat posted:

Did Mad Max turn out ok? I remember some complaining about it when it came out but now the reviews look really good and it's pretty cheap.

Best five bucks ever spent if you like to custom some post-apocalyptic hell machines and ram others off the road with them. The level of detail in the world that is 99% sand is also pretty nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
question is there any shadowruns I should NOT get?

• Locked thread