Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

fat bossy gerbil posted:

This has very little to do with racism it's because of logistical simplicity. Spam and canned meat like it were sent pretty much everywhere by American armed forces during WWII because it's a pre cooked canned meat product that doesn't need refrigeration, it can be eaten cold or hot and it's cheap. Soldiers and civilians alike ate tons of it for that very reason and that's why it's still popular with campers hikers and hunters. Basically anywhere that needed large amounts of food aid during and after the war got flooded with the stuff.
So that's why japanese and hawaiian americans are the only groups of people I've ever met who fuckin' looove spam - because not-racist!? I've never met a WWII vet who liked spam.

Nobody I've ever met in my entire life who's a camper/hunter eats Spam.. Are you high? Because it even tastes like salty rear end when you're :420:

Literally the only time I've ever even seen spam in a non-japanese or hawaiian american's house, was because they were a white dude being ironic by keeping it as a novelty item on display.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm white and I really enjoy SPAM

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Most ethnic food traditions can be traced back to some sort of necessity or limitation in what was available.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That doesn't seem surprising, as every single person from The State seems like a massive headcase.

Most of all Kevin Allison. He burned bridges with the cast when the show ended, and based on what he says on his podcast, he was an absolute mess for years and years. Every now and then he'll have someone from the State on his podcast, and it always seems like they're doing it more so out of pity for him. He never had much of a career after things were over beyond cater-waitering.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nihonniboku posted:

Most of all Kevin Allison. He burned bridges with the cast when the show ended, and based on what he says on his podcast, he was an absolute mess for years and years. Every now and then he'll have someone from the State on his podcast, and it always seems like they're doing it more so out of pity for him. He never had much of a career after things were over beyond cater-waitering.

His podcast fuckin OWNS.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Night Of The Living Dead remake is on Shudder. It scared me to death as a kid but it does lose something being in HD instead of a low-fi VHS. Even with all it's flaws, it's a fantastic movie for getting across the idea of why zombies are terrifying. They're slow. Weak. Stupid. You can run right past them. You can maybe even fight off a group once you get use to the idea of being around lumbering flesh eaters. Yet, no matter what you do, there's always more and they never stop working towards their singular goal.

All three of the group's ideas on how to survive worked but most of them died because they were overwhelmed with fear and couldn't agree on a plan. Alot of the terror came from the characters being confronted with their loved ones dying, coming at them as zombies or the horrific gory aftermath of death.

Also there's something hilarious about the idea of these dumb good ol' boys having fun as the cities and society go to hell. What would be a nightmare scenario to the average person is an excuse to shoot their guns and drink beer while hanging out their buddies.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

So that's why japanese and hawaiian americans are the only groups of people I've ever met who fuckin' looove spam - because not-racist!? I've never met a WWII vet who liked spam.

Nobody I've ever met in my entire life who's a camper/hunter eats Spam.. Are you high? Because it even tastes like salty rear end when you're :420:

Literally the only time I've ever even seen spam in a non-japanese or hawaiian american's house, was because they were a white dude being ironic by keeping it as a novelty item on display.

I loving love spam. Fry it in a pan throw it in a bun with some mustard. Good poo poo.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

His podcast fuckin OWNS.

I listen to it every week.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Another white guy here who likes Spam. Fry it in a pan along with a pineapple ring, then put it on a burger bun with mayo, sriracha, melted Swiss, a fried egg, and lettuce, tomato, and onion if you want.

Also I'm almost done with GLOW and I'm loving it so far. Maybe my favorite Netflix series. It's one of the few dramady-type show that manages to be laugh out loud funny and not just "huh, that's funny". It's weirdly touching, too.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

coyo7e posted:

Sheathe your mighty hate boner. I am white and love spam. I also love sulze. My heart is full of love.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Things I've learned lately from this thread:

* GLOW is really, really good

* I get Brie Larson and Alison Brie mixed up. Also I confused Gillian Jacobs with both of them. I am dumb.

* Spam wusubi is delicious

* coyo7e has a sad and undeveloped palate

isaboo fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 28, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone else staying up to watch Okja?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

Things I've learned lately from this thread:

* GLOW is really, really good

The season finale was literally as good as Creed in my opinion and for many of the same reasons.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone else staying up to watch Okja?

I'm throwing a bacon themed watch party

not really but does it drop at midnight or something?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think Netflix drops everything midnight Pacific since they're based out of California.

I'm gonna keep eating meat, but now I'll just cry while I do

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

precision posted:

The season finale was literally as good as Creed in my opinion and for many of the same reasons.

I am up to episode six and it is amaze. I do wish they didn't have Brie's nipple just barely visible, right off to the side, in every scene though.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So Okja is directed by Joon-ho Bong and stars the bewilderingly and oddly attractive Tilda Swinton?! Sign me up right the gently caress now. Gonna watch the hell out of this one.

My wife does not understand my attraction to Swinton but goddamn I have been in love with her since The Beach and of course Michael Clayton.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Tilda Swinton is a real life Mrs. potato head because you can put almost any face on her

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

I took a sketch class taught by him and it was a mess and really slapped together, so I can kind of see that.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Some Hulk Hogan/Gawker documentary showed up in my recommended list. Is there some depth to the story, or did Netflix really pay for the right to air a film that makes Gawker out to be defenders of the first amendment for publishing a sex tape?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

I've never met a WWII vet who liked spam.

My great uncle was a B-24 pilot who bombed Germany on Hitler's birthday and that motherfucker loved Spam and cooked it in all sorts of ways. For him it was like eggs were for most people- a dirt cheap ingredient you know how to use in anything.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Baronash posted:

Some Hulk Hogan/Gawker documentary showed up in my recommended list. Is there some depth to the story, or did Netflix really pay for the right to air a film that makes Gawker out to be defenders of the first amendment for publishing a sex tape?

How is the documentary not just this gif looping for ninety minutes?
http://i.imgur.com/biiKQJQ.gifv

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Actually talking about how a billionaire astroturfed court cases until a news organization was drained to death is probably worthwhile.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny and surprising that the yuppie kid in glow actually ends up pretty likeable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

It's funny and surprising that the yuppie kid in glow actually ends up pretty likeable.

Yeah Bash is great. His "butler" and his genuine love for wrestling make him adorable.

Plus, you know, drug robot

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My great uncle was a B-24 pilot who bombed Germany on Hitler's birthday and that motherfucker loved Spam and cooked it in all sorts of ways. For him it was like eggs were for most people- a dirt cheap ingredient you know how to use in anything.

Powdered egg military family tradition or gtfo

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

precision posted:

Yes! It's indisputably the best episode in the show IMO.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

Yeah Bash is great. His "butler" and his genuine love for wrestling make him adorable.

Plus, you know, drug robot

He's awesome in the last episode. I really hope (and assume) that kind of cemented his role on the show.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

coyo7e posted:

you are thoroughly talking out of your loving rear end here. anyone who grew up poor in the South (my dad, for instance) also has a fondness for spam. and, yes, it's a super loving common camping food down here, because it's non-perishable and is dirt simple to cook in a frying pan.

like, honestly you sound like the racist here, you seem to be implying that Japanese and Hawaiian people were somehow tortured into liking spam and that they're incapable of deciding their own food tastes when the simpler explanation is "spam is dope"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's what I got from it. His argument that other people were racist was actually the racist one. I was totally :psyduck:ing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okja's coming at 8am. Go to sleep, everyone.

https://netflixlife.com/2017/06/26/new-on-netflix-okja-release-time-date/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ah drat, I just got up and was hoping to watch it before work :mad:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

pahuyuth posted:

So Okja is directed by Joon-ho Bong and stars the bewilderingly and oddly attractive Tilda Swinton?! Sign me up right the gently caress now. Gonna watch the hell out of this one.

My wife does not understand my attraction to Swinton but goddamn I have been in love with her since The Beach and of course Michael Clayton.

lol if you do not see that her luminescence as the logical next evolutionary phase of humanity

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
any good bad 80s movies on the flix right now?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Forget Tilda, I'm hyped because Jake "45 Magnum" Gyllenhaal is in it

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
RE: Spamchat, I have a feeling people who think Spam tastes like crap just have never had it prepared right. It basically needs to be fried/seared. It's similar to scrapple (which has a similar disconnect between good preparation and enjoyment), in that it has a pretty high fat content. Frying or searing it lets all that fat turn into wonderful crispy golden-brown crust of flavor. If you don't do that, then yes, it will taste like a mushy, fatty mess.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 28, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alan Smithee posted:

any good bad 80s movies on the flix right now?

The Wraith is probably the oft unseen pinnacle of 80's good bad films. It's loving nuts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

Forget Tilda, I'm hyped because Jake "45 Magnum" Gyllenhaal is in it

I honestly haven't watched something that JG was in for years that I didn't like. At least that I can think of off the top of my head. Dude picks good movies to be in.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okja is a movie of insane imagery.

I might make a thread later today to stop clogging this thread up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Anyone got a trip report on Okja? On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Cannibal Holocaust and 10 is My Neighbor Totoro, how cute is it?