Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Maarek posted:

I looked through that thread after the election and it was incredible how angry and mean people got at anyone who said they were worried about it being close or her losing. Unsurprisingly almost none of the people who were completely wrong about everything seemed to step back and question their strategies or ideologies post-election.

my general fear was clinton would lose to trump, specifically, but if she fought any other candidate she would have won by virtue of people going "oh gently caress this" and we'd have the lowest turnout election in recent history

i went in hard for bernie when it was becoming clear trump could possibly win... i felt he stood the better chance against the entire field, while hillary would potentially win against another run of the mill politician.

no one wanted the loving status quo in 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
how can you list the users in an archived thread

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the days of shook and arzying were dark days

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Arzy was a visionary who showed up 8 years too early

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
that day, we were all shook nate

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

consumed by normies posted:

the days of shook and arzying were dark days

that guys last posts are "hillary is going to win" and then a random question about path of exile

hes probably still collecting loot to this day...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also i forgive anyone who thinks hillary would have won under the assumption she actually had a real campaign which is actually a pretty understandable but retrospectively wrong take

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it was the consistent polling that got, and still gets me.

Were the samples of the polling companies that biased and wrong?

Or did the people they sampled not report accurately, or was there a flaw in the methodology?

Or, once the people got inside the polling booth, did something just, snap?

Maybe there's an element of politics that can't be reduced to a number, no matter how hard you try, and any attempt at quantifying it leads to failure.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/dril/status/879950288366522368

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

remember how the more electable candidate was the one who consistently polled 5-10 points worse against every republican

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

anime was right posted:

also i forgive anyone who thinks hillary would have won under the assumption she actually had a real campaign which is actually a pretty understandable but retrospectively wrong take

i still laugh when i remember hrc's campaign was coordinated by a robot they were gonna triumphantly reveal when she won

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

what kind of sick bastard blocks dril

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

rudatron posted:

Or did the people they sampled not report accurately, or was there a flaw in the methodology?

Maybe there's an element of politics that can't be reduced to a number, no matter how hard you try, and any attempt at quantifying it leads to failure.

w/r/t wisconsin, michigan, and florida at least, the polling and likely voter models probably don't take into account voter suppression and disenfranchisement

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

rudatron posted:

voter suppression + the "shamed into not admitting i'd vote for trump" factor + we were mostly using national polls and not the really tight areas that could swing the election. if a voter has every intent of voting and the models are right, but they have been removed from the records in some fashion, that counts as a representative vote in a poll that is not actually counter. if republicans successfully hosed over say, a single cities worth of voters in oh say, milwaukee, congrats, trump just won wisconsin despite being behind in entirely accurate polls.

this is why i keep screaming gently caress the presidency, win congress + every statehouse and then work from there. as our cities gets denser and denser, the landowner advantage built into the system continuously favors republicans. its only going to get worse, not better. states control voting laws, not the feds, and yet almost every state is controlled by republicans right now...

anime was right has issued a correction as of 07:57 on Jun 28, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

consumed by normies posted:

what kind of sick bastard blocks dril

thats how you definitely prove that youre not owned and in fact find all of this funny

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

fits my needs posted:

Zuck will do more. Zuck will cure all diseases.

will curing all diseases end racism, though?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

anime was right posted:

voter suppression + the "shamed into not admitting i'd vote for trump" factor + we were mostly using national polls and not the really tight areas that could swing the election. if a voter has every intent of voting and the models are right, but they have been removed from the records in some fashion, that counts as a representative vote in a poll that is not actually counter. if republicans successfully hosed over say, a single cities worth of voters in oh say, milwaukee, congrats, trump just won wisconsin despite being behind in entirely accurate polls.

this is why i keep screaming gently caress the presidency, win congress + every statehouse and then work from there. as our cities gets denser and denser, the landowner advantage built into the system continuously favors republicans. its only going to get worse, not better. states control voting laws, not the feds, and yet almost every state is controlled by republicans right now...

Milwaukee had low turnout for blacks in general much due to low enthusiasm. There were a lot of articles specifically about it.
I mean look at this poo poo:

http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/not-everyones-feeling-hillary-clintons-hype

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/us/many-in-milwaukee-neighborhood-didnt-vote-and-dont-regret-it.html

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/why-black-voters-in-milwaukee-werent-enthused-by-clinton.html

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rudatron posted:

the likely voter models were closer to the 2012 electorate

The Muppets On PCP has issued a correction as of 08:31 on Jun 28, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

will curing all diseases end racism, though?

racism is a disease and zuck's nanobots will redesign the brains of racists to optimize societal harmony

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

not spending at least 4 hours a day on facebook will also be considered a disease

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/marx_knopfler/status/879973622990995456

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

anime was right posted:

there's a reason why republicans tend not to lose states once they get them

they just start emptying buckshot into their states' voting rights asap

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

finally an explanation for why hillary clinton didnt campaign in wisconsin

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Yinlock posted:

there's a reason why republicans tend not to lose states once they get them

they just start emptying buckshot into their states' voting rights asap

the dnc tends to just throw up its arms and give up

pretend i reposted that article where they kept running ghost canidates in georgia than thought they could win with ossoff

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Zoran posted:

god, the election thread is so good for some morbid humor every once in a while

How do you quote from archives? But anyway...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796651&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=126#post466235993

quote:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

quote:

bollig posted:
If I were a reporter I honestly don't know whether I'd want to be at Trump's or Hillary's parties right now.

At Hillary's you have a chance of seeing the candidate tonight. At Trump's, not so much.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol at the idea of democrats enacting good policies

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rudatron posted:

pollsters' likely voter models were way off

they assumed that, compared to 2012, minorities would come out in force to vote overwhelmingly against the openly racist corncob, while white people turnout would be lower than usual because they wouldn't be enthusiastic about the sexist goblin.

that was pretty much the exact opposite of what actually happened. for some dumb reason a bunch of people assumed that the black turnout in 2008 and 2012 was the new normal rather than outliers caused by Obama specifically so their estimates were way off, Hispanics weren't as pro-Hillary as expected, and white turnout was basically as usual.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the likely voter models were closer to the 2012 electorate

Wasn't it the lowest turnout election for a long time? Or just real bad

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

UHD posted:

primary the human race

Primate it. doesnt that new apes movie come out soon?

this is a cool song i found last night https://youtu.be/ZLMOotOENE0

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
"Post your map"

*firmly grasps bunghole and inwidens it to engulf known universe*

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Wasn't it the lowest turnout election for a long time? Or just real bad

Apparently the initial estimates of this didn't take into account early voting/vote by mail to the extent that they should, but yeah, turnout wasn't great, and a few places (notably Wisconsin) had restrictive Voter ID laws that took effect for the first time in 2016 too.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/hieronymus_burp/status/880056203929419777

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

docbeard posted:

Apparently the initial estimates of this didn't take into account early voting/vote by mail to the extent that they should, but yeah, turnout wasn't great, and a few places (notably Wisconsin) had restrictive Voter ID laws that took effect for the first time in 2016 too.

proof that democrats cant win without rampant voter fraud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mormonpartyboat posted:

proof that democrats cant win without rampant voter fraud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those millions of illegal votes!

(Every vote for a democrat is an illegal vote.)

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

lol

Obama says Sanders' supporters helped undermine Obamacare

quote:

President Barack Obama said on Friday that criticism from the left wing of his own Democratic Party helped feed into the unpopularity of Obamacare, his signature healthcare reform law.

Obama has been spending part of his last two weeks in office urging supporters to speak out against plans by Republicans - who will soon control both the White House and Congress - to dismantle the 2010 Affordable Care Act.

At a town hall event with Vox Media, Obama acknowledged the politics have been stacked against his reforms, mainly blaming Republicans who he said refused to help make legislative fixes to Obamacare, which provides subsidies for private insurance to lower-income Americans who do not have healthcare plans at work.

But Obama also said Liberals like former Democratic presidential candidate Senator Bernie Sanders had contributed to the program's unpopularity.

During Sanders' campaign for the presidential nomination, he proposed replacing Obamacare with a government-run single-payer health insurance system based on Medicare, the government plan for elderly and disabled Americans.

"In the 'dissatisfied' column are a whole bunch of Bernie Sanders supporters who wanted a single-payer plan," Obama said in the interview.

"The problem is not that they think Obamacare is a failure. The problem is that they don't think it went far enough and that it left too many people still uncovered," Obama said.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

im glad theyre dismantling your lovely legacy obama

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol this is my first time seeing this

what a whiny piece of garbage.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

quote:

"The problem is not that they think Obamacare is a failure. The problem is that they don't think it went far enough and that it left too many people still uncovered," Obama said.

confused as to what the problem here is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

poo poo I didn't realize that was old. My bad.

• Locked thread