Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Just got back from a 4 month, easy deployment and now I'm taking 45 days off in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I did the walk test today. I wanted to die.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The walk test is awesome.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ckwiesr posted:

I did the walk test today. I wanted to die.

Thank you for your service

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

The walk test is awesome.

The walk test sucks more than the run.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

The walk test sucks more than the run.

It was absolutely brutal and I never want to do it again. The run is by far easier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ckwiesr posted:

It was absolutely brutal and I never want to do it again. The run is by far easier.

The stride is too long unless you are really leggy, its more of a jog/power walk than a real walk, and didn't actually do anything to help prevent my asthma issues from popping up. The purpose of the walk test isn't to help people on profile, its to help further filter people out of the service.

I'm glad I hit my ETS and decided to stick with my civilian life.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I breezed the walk test easy because it didn't gently caress with my knees after 200m. My cardio was fine, the problem was always my garbage legs. Now I'm fat and bearded and I haven't run further than it took to jaywalk without dying in a couple of years.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I saw on Reddit that we might be switching to OCPs soon, and my Command Chief just acknowledged it saying the CMSAF is pushing for it along with unit patches on the arm.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was unironically a little miffed that our DOs got sweet wing patches but the filthy enlisted didn't

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Please let it be true. 10 years of the failed uniform has been enough.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously ABUs look like cat vomit tiger stripes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They look fine and require 0 maintenance, why do people act so angry over them

Are they the ones who iron creases into their ABUs?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I preferred a flight suit to ABU's, and BDU's were better than ABU's imho but I never ironed those bitches, and never starched them like others. I got a ton of grief over it from SNCO's but no part of 36-2903 said poo poo about mandatory starching and ironing of the drat things.

The worst part of flight suit was taking a dump. That onesie makes it take some thought to not have your green onesie sitting in a puddle of piss that surrounded the toilets inevitably.

Otherwise still my fave uniform.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I was always of the opinion that ACUs, while pretty bad, weren't the devil incarnate. But holy poo poo OCP is better in every single fuckin' way, both in garrison and in field. Except they may cost a little bit more, but not enough to be a huge deal.

ABUs look goofy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I didn't mind ABUs, and I was really lazy with my BDUs. Only time I wore a flight suit is when I grabbed one from the Airmen's attic and used it when I went to pull-a-part yards to keep oil off my clothes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Ripstop ABUs were a big step up fron the twill ones. They're still as ugly and non-functional as ever though.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

The Ripstop ABUs were a big step up fron the twill ones. They're still as ugly and non-functional as ever though.

Agreed, especially if your job consists of being around anything dirty.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ckwiesr posted:

Agreed, especially if your job consists of being around anything dirty.
I was over at the hanger one day and saw this guy walking around in what looked like a leather jacket. On closer inspection he was wearing the chore jacket but exposure to oil had turned it almost entirely brown.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I preferred a flight suit to ABU's, and BDU's were better than ABU's imho but I never ironed those bitches, and never starched them like others. I got a ton of grief over it from SNCO's but no part of 36-2903 said poo poo about mandatory starching and ironing of the drat things.

The worst part of flight suit was taking a dump. That onesie makes it take some thought to not have your green onesie sitting in a puddle of piss that surrounded the toilets inevitably.

Otherwise still my fave uniform.

There was a video making the rounds years ago investigating the best way to poop in a flight suit. They rejected a number of ways including having your buddies stand on either side and hold it up (too gay). My favorite was always using a handicap stall and tying the sleeves to the hand rails.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

making GBS threads while wearing coveralls is easy. You unzip, pull your arms out of the sleeves, fold them over the back, and then just roll the back down and stuff it in the legs while you're sitting.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
You guys are going about this the wrong way. You don't take your arms out and bunch it below your waist. You take your legs out and bunch it above your waist.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I thought all flightsuiters wore diapers 24/7 because it made them feel like astronauts

Is this not true?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Wild T posted:

I thought all flightsuiters wore diapers 24/7 because it made them feel like astronauts

Is this not true?
It's not.

We wear the diapers because we are horrible sex fetishists.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's not.

We wear the diapers because we are horrible sex fetishists.
I cut leg holes in your helmet bag. Then I made a doody.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Air Guard adventure so far after active navy transition: five months to get a uniform, 11 months and no AFSC.

Deploying to Iraq with my civilian work this month and my chief last drill was like "oh okay see you next year airman be safe!" I was like "D- Do you want like.. proof?" Nah.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Air Guard is the most laid back place that's still notionally involved in killing bad guys and breaking their stuff.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/staff-sergeants-can-once-again-become-mtis

I want to say good for them but the article makes it sound kind of desperate. Either that or this doesn't bode well for 17E6 numbers.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yeah, the simultaneous lowering of rank and PT requirements for the job seems like a red flag.

Though, really, anyone who would choose to become a TI probably has a bunch of red flags already.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arc Light posted:

Yeah, the simultaneous lowering of rank and PT requirements for the job seems like a red flag.

Though, really, anyone who would choose to become a TI probably has a bunch of red flags already.
At least they have to be E-5s for a couple years first. Back when I joined they were letting them start the program as E-4s. This at least affords them some opportunity to grow out of power hungry douchebag behavior, not that it's going to be taken by most of them.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Arc Light posted:

At least it's still a exile DSD so you don't choose to become one, a commander sentences nominates you.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

TI duty is voluntary.

Which means anyone with half a brain is going to say "gently caress YOU" and go back to doing their job put Korea on their dream sheet because gently caress staying under a lovely vindictive commander who is going to be a gigantic baby bitch who punishes you for every little god drat thing ever because you dared to turn down his bullshit.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
Had a guy in my last shop who got nominated for MTI with a letter of non-recommendation from our O-6.
Supposedly there won't be any negative ramifications to his career because of it, but I'm always going to be skeptical.

-e-
My advice was to purposefully bomb a pt test so this may have worked out better for him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arc Light posted:

Manning is down everywhere, and nobody is volunteering for TI duty anymore, its almost entirely a voluntold force now.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who the gently caress wants to volunteer for MTI anyway.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Sociopaths mostly.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Seems to mostly be folks who love the big Air Force/admin side of their job, and don't like doing the AFSC-related part of it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"We are the best the Air Force has to offer."
"No I've never done anything that remotely contributed to anything related to the actual mission"
"I look pretty."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

One of my old coworkers volunteered. She seemed to be a decent TSgt.

She immediately despised the job, and is finally at the end of her four year tour. All her years enlisted, and the one assignment she specifically asked for is the one that made her hate the Air Force.

• Locked thread