Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

tithin posted:

I am not a smart man

I've been telling you this for the last two years.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Gridlocked posted:

I've been telling you this for the last two years.....

Tempes fugit

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also this would be the worst possible time to take over. People's faith in their leader is low, they're ready to quit/revolt no one's happy with this situation. This is the worst time to go for a promotion!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

RareAcumen posted:

Also this would be the worst possible time to take over. People's faith in their leader is low, they're ready to quit/revolt no one's happy with this situation. This is the worst time to go for a promotion!

But enough about british politics

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

tithin posted:

DRFADP

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

tithin posted:

Name next recruit JEZZA all caps required

In fact I vote for recruit new NPC to be Ninja, name him JEZZA

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 12 - A Bitter Reunion

: The blood of Galgastani. You fought only guards at Balmamusa. The sins of that day are mine to bear.

: I stood by as men and women were slaughtered. Is there no sin in that?

The guilt is eating Levi alive.

: These horrors touch you less than you think. Your heart is still pure.

: Please, torment my brother no further. He is ill prepared to lead the Resistance entire.

I mislike that statement, it sounds very final.

Our destination has changed. We now return to the Duke as enemies, apparently.

We are ambushed as we leave the Arkhaiopolis.

By Vyce, and Arycelle.

: Vyce? What are you doing here?

: I had hoped the good knight Lanselot might lend me his aid, but alas, he's nowhere to be found.

: You need only give the word, Vyce!

: Calm, Arycelle. A quarrel now would only leave our strength diminished.

: But they are the backbone of the Resistance. We must strike while we can.

: Gousin said much the same thing, and now he feeds the worms.

Slow of wit, our Catiua today.

Enemy Composition:

Purple

Vyce (Ranger)
Arycelle (Archer)
H. Archer x2
H. Valkyrie x2
H. Knight x2
H. Wizard
H. Cleric x2

Ranger is a new class. It's Vyce's unique class, now that he's no longer under our wing.

It's a fantastic class, being a combination of Ninja and Archer. He also has the stats to make use of the thing.

Canopus is eager to get up front.

: Call off your men, Levi! A fight between us serves no purpose.

: The duke who pulls your strings - he is the enemy!

: He cares nothing for liberating the Walister. He thinks only of the kingdom he might build for himself.

: It is he who plays each clan against the other. He who sacrifices the blood of his kinsmen!

: Anyone who ignores the will of his people and uses them as a means unto an end is my enemy!

: Who knows all the duke has wrought better than you, Levi!

The enemy is faster than us.

Catiua flees in the face of the archers assaults.

But what if she hadn't? We'd get a lot more story, for one thing.

The following occurs if the battle goes on long enough, but frankly I'm going for Vyce's throat here. The enemy are on par with us and hold the high ground enough to take out Catiua in a single combat round.

--------------

: It was you who ran, not I!

: You talk of revolution, but revolution without principles is meaningless!

: What happened to the old Levi?

: Has lust for power blinded you to the damage you do?

: Always so quick to judge, Vyce, so impatient for results.

: A mountain is climbed in steps, but you expect to vault to the top in a single leap!

: Can't you see that what I've done - what I do - is vital?

: What you've done is treason. I'm sorry it's come to this.

--------------

: I would not have thought to find you in league with the New Walister Alliance, Vyce.

: In league, Catiua? The New Walister Alliance is my creation.

: Of course.... No wonder Gousin knew so much of me.

: You remember our life in Golyat? Miserable as it was, you had your brother. I had nothing.

: But I don't hate my father for it. It wasn't his fault. When I saw what happened at Balmamusa, I finally understood.

: It is men like the duke who bear the blame. These so-called noblemen play the smallfolk against each other to avert our watch from the true enemy. Balbatos and Brantyn are no better - clergy and nobility are two sides of the same false coin.

: Both want only a docile flock to rule.

: Gone is the quiet boy I knew, too timid to speak his mind.

: I know you, Catiua, like your brother cannot. He'll never understand your true spirit.

: And you do?

: Deny it if you will, but you know it in your heart. I'm not like him.

: Frankly, I care nothing about who you are or what you do.

: I know. More's the pity.

--------------

: Still with this flock, bird-man?

: You're rather loose with your tongue for a man about to die.

: And looser still with my coin - how much to switch sides? I'll make you a sweeter offer than the duke ever did.

: No deal. Even you should know a mercenary's true currency is trust, not coin.

: Oh, but it's more than that, no? I know what it is that keeps men like you with Levi.

: Aye? Then you should join us. The rewards of friendship are far richer than the spoils of war.

: Friendship is in rare supply these days.

: I walked away from a friend once. Seems an age ago now. And over what? Some trifle I scarce remember. Foolish to let such a small thing drive us apart. At the time, I never wanted to see him again, let alone fight at his side.

: But even without words, true friends have a way of understanding one another.

: You're rambling, old man. Your point?

: Whatever may come between you, in time, it will pass.

: You have all the wisdom of a dusty old tome, and the charm to match.

: And you rise to the bait like a spring trout. Ha!

--------------

The battle continues. As I said, we're going for the throat, but this is a story filled battle.

None of this Donnalto stuff appears in the script which tells me people don't use Donnalto much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

: Nor will I beg your forgiveness. There is no forgiving what I have done.

: I ask only for time. And when it has passed, gladly will I give my life to you.

: Time? to do what?

: I can well imagine. You hope to atone for your sins.

: But no atonement will restore life to the dead. Nothing can change what you've done.

: No, nothing can wash away my sins. Still...

: Yes?

: You helped me see the anger and vengeance clouding my judgement.

: I know now that true victory is won in the heart. Not on the battlefield.

: Your meaning escapes me.

Meanwhile Nerraw just plain doesn't give a gently caress about all this talking and drops a loving boulder on Vyces head.

We gotta end this now before HEALBOT gets one rounded as well.

This is over.

The screen flickers an orange colour, as flames begin to take the town.

The two squads turn to the north.

Not again.

The Dark Knights of Lodis have finally taken a side.

The Walister are routing.

The Dark Knights are marching.

We are ill prepared for this fight.

This doesn't feel like a victory to me.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Augh this is why I can't deal with the lawful route, how can Levi even go on living with himself...

tithin posted:

: Call off your men, Levi! A fight between us serves no purpose.

: The duke who pulls your strings - he is the enemy!

: He cares nothing for liberating the Walister. He thinks only of the kingdom he might build for himself.

: It is he who plays each clan against the other. He who sacrifices the blood of his kinsmen!

: Anyone who ignores the will of his people and uses them as a means unto an end is my enemy!

: Who knows all the duke has wrought better than you, Levi!

...offering weakass poo poo like this while Vyce is loving RIGHT, I just can't take it!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
: You talk of revolution, but revolution without principles is meaningless!

: What happened to the old Levi?

: Has lust for power blinded you to the damage you do?

: Always so quick to judge, Vyce, so impatient for results.

: A mountain is climbed in steps, but you expect to vault to the top in a single leap!

: Can't you see, Vyce....

: I'm already a demon.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 27, 2017

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I know we made all the characters we would ever need since uniques are better than generics in almost every way, but I wish we had made a hammer weilding warrior by the name of Grabthar.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
It always breaks my heart a little bit when I inevitably replace the majority of my handmade guys with the same uniques as always. I have to make a conscious effort not to use them sometimes. Thankfully, they're not as redonkulously broken as some guys in, say, Final Fantasy Tactics.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That is part of what makes One Vision good: nerfs the hell out of special RT bonus.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

There are like 3 generic classes worth getting even with uniques out and about.

I gushed in the previous thread about fairy rogues. That choice is debatable for a lot of people.

Lamia's have a class that we havent seen yet that is one of the top tier magic user classes in the game because of how tough they are and tge types of magic they can use.

There is a special late game class that only generics can become. In a normal playthrough they are middling. In a playthrough where you have plans for this character from the minute you start a new game, they become gods.

Dragons. With the way the class level system works, if you recruit 3-4 dragons for your army and keep them all the same class you can fill out numbers for smaller maps. Then by the time you level to level 20 or so through three element types, your dragons on AI can grind levels for all the random new classes for the uniques you get along the way.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I think the problem is that a lot of the good generic builds require some planning and investment, whereas most of the unique classes are pretty much good to go or specialized enough that you don't need to go class hopping to get the stuff you need to make them work. Which is great if you know a lot of this beforehand and can prep. I do feel that a lot of stuff is locked unnecessarily way too late in the game.

I will say that monsters are much more viable than before, and having their own set of classes sets them apart and gives them the versatility that a lot of them were missing. The first time I played the PSP remake I recruited a couple of Hawkmen and a Lizardman, as I now had more options with them. Lamias and Orcs are also pretty good, and have access to the aforementioned humanoid-monster-specific classes. Even the larger monsters like Golems and Dragons no longer have the arbitrary limit of only having 2 per battle, plus the added flexibility of changing classes to suit different needs.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Bifauxnen posted:

Augh this is why I can't deal with the lawful route, how can Levi even go on living with himself...

...offering weakass poo poo like this while Vyce is loving RIGHT, I just can't take it!

It's more than it seems, which highlights the choice between law and chaos rather nicely. Law is about seeing the big picture, making sacrifices, both personal and not, to see a goal for everyone. Chaos is mostly emotion. Sticking to your moral compass, or lack thereof, even if it degrades the situation around you.

He's saying things like that because while yes, he is bearing that heavy weight with all due stress, he knows that the new Wallister alliance is not fit to run a country, or achieve its goals through the impulsive actions it takes.

If we were on the chaos route, we'd be in the moral right, considering we're fighting for the truth and against such cruel actions. The positions between Levi and Vyce here would be reversed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I view it as more sunk cost fallacy then anything else. Having done such a horrible act the MC on the law route will keep on going or else that atrocity would have been for nothing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

After playing the next map I may need to grind a bit, Jesus.

I've gone from slaughtering without any drama to being steamrolled.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

tithin posted:

After playing the next map I may need to grind a bit, Jesus.

I've gone from slaughtering without any drama to being steamrolled.

Yeah, that's how I remember the game. This battle might have been a warning they were stepping things up?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 13 - Levi Marches on Almorica

For once, nothing stands between us and Almorica.

For the second time, we siege the walls of Almorica castle.

: I am not certain of his numbers, but they are likely more than these walls can bear. We could send for our host on Tynemouth...but I fear it would arrive too late.

: Bah! The commons were right about him, it seems. He is a traitor to the core!

: Your grace, it's not safe for you here. Please, go while there is still time.

: Go? Fool. Where would I go! No, the key is the boy. Kill him, and this ends!

Ronwey is clearly delusional by this stage.

We have several new additions to this fight in terms of classes.

Enemy Composition

The Gates of Almorica

Condition(s): Kill Modiliani,

Purple
Modiliani (Sorcerer)
Arc Dragon
Dark Dragon
H. Stone Golem x2
H. Witch x2
H. Archer x2
H. Beast Tamer x2

unlike the last couple of maps that we steamrolled, this enemy is on par with us AND has a highly effective glass cannon build.

our opening salvos prove insufficient

There's enough tanks up in our face here that our damage dealers have their work cut out for them.

The first new class we're fighting, are Warlocks. They're a combination of Wizard and Beastmaster, but for Golemns. They make golems hurt a lot more.

That being said I've literally never used one of these guys before so y'all are welcome to wax lyrical about why warlocks are good, actually.

We're unloading everything into the tanks and it's not working.

Let's keep doing it.

God drat lovely Dragons!

This is a newey - it makes it so that their special TP moves cannot miss, because that poo poo isn't broken enough

This loving well hit everyone :argh:

Their rear guard is arriving on the scene.

Like we've not been stunned enough! gently caress!

I actually had to CHARIOT for this to land, 55% chance to land and it took four different positions to be succesful. Still, the man of the hour. We need this reprieve to focus on their DPS.

Levi and Voltare bringing the pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3-aAx4SOn0

I swear I did a double take when that triple digit number showed up

Well, poo poo.

Couldn't land the shot AND had to Chariot to use the item :argh:

that heal target seems unnecessary to me. Maybe try healing Kilmotos...?

Didn't need to chariot for this. Kilmotos might not hit hard, yet, but god this CC is paying off for me in spades.

Phew, I'll take the stuns over Kilmotos murder.

Catiua, no!

Granite fist is a reasonably strong Golem only fist attack, usable at range for ~50tp, iirc. Again, never used golems.

Now we have to focus on murdering the dragon otherwise he's gonna cause havoc in our back line.

Finally rid ourselves of that annoying as hell archer that's been taking potshots at Kilmotos.

Getting some healing up on Kilmotos, just in case.

gently caress you

gently caress you

I want that Dragon dead so badly I'm willing to skewer Nerraw to get it.

With Martine and Kilmotos down, the next juiciest target is Canopus.

Get hosed: the musical.

It's funny, I think Levi's had all of two... three? physical attacks this battle and they've all crit.

the good thing about golems is that they're not as tanky as other beasts and constructs.

Ok, now we're just cleaning up.

Modillani is a sorceror, and as you've no doubt guessed based on how this bawbag's been doing, they're absolutely jacked. They have stats out the whazoo, and access to some really powerful skills.

Naturally, they are enemy only, and ~usually~ reserved for bosses. I don't think you encounter any generic ones that you can recruit, unlike other special classes we'll get down the way.

Anyway Martine's almost out of time so we use a Blessing stone to get her back on her feet.

We're trying desperately to bring everyone above the level of killable.

Canopus venting some frustrations here.

Me too, actually.

ah gently caress orffffffff

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait, I'm confused. We voted to stick with the Duke but we're fighting him here. What happened?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, I'm confused. We voted to stick with the Duke but we're fighting him here. What happened?

It's a bit misleading, but the choice wasn't whether or not to rebel against the Duke, it was about how willing Levi was to take over afterwards. He reluctantly backs Leonar either way.

I took the Chaos path on my own playthrough so I'm interested in seeing how this plays out. I knew that Vyce always did the opposite of what you did but I didn't realize his character changed so much.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Hunt11 posted:

Honestly I view it as more sunk cost fallacy then anything else. Having done such a horrible act the MC on the law route will keep on going or else that atrocity would have been for nothing.

The delusion that one is doing things for some higher purpose(whether it be divine or human) is the only way some people can sleep at night with the memory of their acts.

That said...

For the greater good! :black101:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

It's a bit misleading, but the choice wasn't whether or not to rebel against the Duke, it was about how willing Levi was to take over afterwards. He reluctantly backs Leonar either way.

I took the Chaos path on my own playthrough so I'm interested in seeing how this plays out. I knew that Vyce always did the opposite of what you did but I didn't realize his character changed so much.

Oh, thank you very much. I was genuinely lost on how we'd come to this despite throwing our lot in behind the guy.

And I feel awkward about Vyce on this run because he spent the whole leadup to that decision being an acerbic rear end in a top hat to everyone but as soon as the slaughter happens a cape just falls on his shoulders and he stands up like he's some noble hero of the people. It would've been nice if it took a bit of time to get there since going from an rear end to a super jackass is an easy change but the reverse is harder.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
He even looks like he just aged 10 or 20 years in a second.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When we kill the Duke, who takes over? Leonar?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

we should put Canopus in charge! He's chill and likable

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Evil Lancelot.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Power to the people.

Bird people, that is!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

RareAcumen posted:

Evil Lancelot.

The guy who killed Levi's village?

He's not so bad. He's just trying to be a cool mercenary, he was very affable when we met him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

The guy who killed Levi's village?

He's not so bad. He's just trying to be a cool mercenary, he was very affable when we met him.

No, not Dark Knight Lanselot.

Evil Lanselot. A Lanselot with a goatee and an eyepatch.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And we're going to wind up playing Dueling Resistances, now? What's the endgame, here?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

RareAcumen posted:

No, not Dark Knight Lanselot.

Evil Lanselot. A Lanselot with a goatee and an eyepatch.

Ah, you must mean Lanselot Badhellman.

He doesn't take over until two Ogre Battle games after this one.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, thank you very much. I was genuinely lost on how we'd come to this despite throwing our lot in behind the guy.

And I feel awkward about Vyce on this run because he spent the whole leadup to that decision being an acerbic rear end in a top hat to everyone but as soon as the slaughter happens a cape just falls on his shoulders and he stands up like he's some noble hero of the people. It would've been nice if it took a bit of time to get there since going from an rear end to a super jackass is an easy change but the reverse is harder.

I don't think it's that bad. "I just saw my best friend agree with my boss to commit ethnic cleansing against my own people that I am trying to help" is a reasonable catalyst for someone to stand up and turn heroic. It would have been nice if the game had done a better job acknowledging the sudden shift, though, instead of just pretending that Vyce was always like this. "You opened my eyes", etc etc., that sort of thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

I don't think it's that bad. "I just saw my best friend agree with my boss to commit ethnic cleansing against my own people that I am trying to help" is a reasonable catalyst for someone to stand up and turn heroic. It would have been nice if the game had done a better job acknowledging the sudden shift, though, instead of just pretending that Vyce was always like this. "You opened my eyes", etc etc., that sort of thing.

I'm not saying that it's ridiculous for him to go heroic in general, just that the swap between normal Vyce to heroic is a bit too quick. Two maps ago he was picking fights with his own allies and now we're supposed to believe he's loving Captain Walister. (Or Goylat or whatever the continent is called)

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I think it wouldn't be half as jarring if we didn't know how far the other way he skews should one choose the alternative. If Vyce had been less of an unrepentant maniac in the Chaos path and instead fit closer to the role Denam takes when he chooses Law, then I think he could have been a much better foil.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I think it wouldn't be half as jarring if we didn't know how far the other way he skews should one choose the alternative. If Vyce had been less of an unrepentant maniac in the Chaos path and instead fit closer to the role Denam takes when he chooses Law, then I think he could have been a much better foil.

I can see this point, but I disagree. Make Chaos Vyce too much like the Denam and it becomes almost a palette swapped (for lack of better terms) story.

Besides, the best bits of this remake are the mid battle banters which really give some amazing insults. I am so giddy for a certain battle in chapter 3 if we go that route.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I really like how Vyce automatically takes the opposite path of Levi/Denam and then cranks it up to 11. Law Vyce is even more moralizing than Chaos Denam; Chaos Vyce is an even bigger sociopath than Law Denam. I appreciate the duality of it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I also imagine like >90% of all players take the Chaos (at least in Chapter 1; maybe they go Neutral afterwards) route the first time they play. It'd be like doing a Legion playthrough your first time in New Vegas. Sure, you know there's unexplored content you're missing out on, but who the hell wants to play an RPG where you're a loving war criminal and monster?

And as such, everyone sees Vyce as just this malicious unredeemable rear end in a top hat the first time they play, thus making Law Route Vyce so jarring.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
The more I play this game the more I enjoy Vyce's Law depiction. I feel like his Chaos version veers too close into "moo hoo ha ha" villainy, and thus I can never take him seriously.

I mean, Law Vyce is still a prick. But he's a prick who I can still kind of understand. And it's probably the side of him from which the inspiration for Delita in FFT sprang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Chaos Vyce comments that he was always jealous of Levi.

So basically it goes like this.

"What? Levi did X? Then I'm going to be Not X, but EXTREME."