Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-hamilton-vettel-ferrari-pressure-baku-collision-923962/

:tinfoil: Time for some good old fashioned mind games. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

HJB posted:

Re Hamilton v Vettel: Reminder that in 2006 the battle of their number twos happened, and Webber beat Rosberg. That's the Mark Webber who couldn't beat Vettel, and the Reigning World Champion Nico Rosberg.

Does anyone remember that "Conclusive top drivers in F1 list" someone made using real analysis and machine learning that had Rosberg 3rd or something ridiculous because he beat Schumacher at Mercedes?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Speaking of motorsport.com...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/force-india-makes-first-move-in-force-one-name-change-924268

NOOOOOOOOOOO TURN LEFT FORCE INDIA NOOOO!!!!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If they want to change something, change the pink on the car from the pale pink to Ocon's helmet hot pink.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

HJB posted:

Re Hamilton v Vettel: Reminder that in 2006 the battle of their number twos happened, and Webber beat Rosberg. That's the Mark Webber who couldn't beat Vettel, and the Reigning World Champion Nico Rosberg.

Glad you said it HJB, because its crazy to say that Kovalinen, Rosberg or Bottas were any better then Webber.

If you ask me the fact is Seb was just crazy good, especially in 2013. He didn't transition as well into the 'drive slow and preserve tyres better' era of 2014-16, but when the formula returns to harder tyres, faster cornering speeds and more of a sprint, suddenly he looks pretty great again (and ofcourse he has a better car this year). I don't think 14 - 16 were especially good years for Hamilton either to be honest, Alonso a bit harder to judge from the crap machinery. But it definitely felt like the top guys couldn't exploit their talent when every lap was at 80% instead of 95%.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Glad you said it HJB, because its crazy to say that Kovalinen, Rosberg or Bottas were any better then Webber.

Ehm. Rosberg was literal garbage that had no place winning a WDC but he was definitely still better than Mark Webber. Bottas is just as good as Rosberg. Kovalainen I will grant you because I will never understand how he managed to get such poor performance out of a car that was capable of winning races.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Ehm. So far Bottas has been pretty bad, not even on Rosberg's level. As for Rosberg I know he's been built up as half of a 'Senna/Prost' battle, that's mostly a creation of the British media to explain how he was able to occasionally beat the godlike Lewis. I think its more likely a combination of the hybrid era rules, and Lewis taking his eye off the ball and/or not being as brilliant as advertised.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

AgentJotun posted:

Ehm. So far Bottas has been pretty bad, not even on Rosberg's level. As for Rosberg I know he's been built up as half of a 'Senna/Prost' battle, that's mostly a creation of the British media to explain how he was able to occasionally beat the godlike Lewis. I think its more likely a combination of the hybrid era rules, and Lewis taking his eye off the ball and/or not being as brilliant as advertised.

Lewis got lazy, Rosberg lived in the simulator for a year and a half. You have to respect the effort Rosberg put in. Lap for lap, no doubt he was slower than Hamilton, but that doesn't mean poo poo if Hamilton is spending all his time organizing his warddrobe and composing an R&B album instead of focusing on driving.

Rosberg Junior is probably going to be one of the most underrated WDCs.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Bottas has beaten Hamilton about as often as Rosberg did so far, and generally in the same type of circumstances?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

Bottas has beaten Hamilton about as often as Rosberg did so far, and generally in the same type of circumstances?

Yeah but Bottas isn't really in the fight, is he? I mean Mercedes are pretending he is for now just like Ferrari are with Raikkonen, but when it comes down to it he will be told in no uncertain terms to do what's right for the team because he is ultimately disposable to Mercedes.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

Yeah but Bottas isn't really in the fight, is he? I mean Mercedes are pretending he is for now just like Ferrari are with Raikkonen, but when it comes down to it he will be told in no uncertain terms to do what's right for the team because he is ultimately disposable to Mercedes.

But Rosberg never had to contend with other people. The Merc was so fast in the last 3 seasons that even when Rosberg couldn't get near Hamilton on the day, he was pretty much guaranteed 2nd. Then on days when Hamilton's car failed or he couldn't make the car work (situations like Russia/Monaco this year) Rosberg was gifted an easy win, whereas Bottas actually has to fight for it. So yes, Rosberg made more points than Bottas did but I wouldn't say that's through driving better. And when you can reliably finish 2nd it makes the title battle seem closer that it might otherwise have been if Seb or someone else was frequently beating him.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Frog man crashed into Seb and his engine failed. That fraud Lewis slowed down and his head rest failed. Racing gods are with Scuderia Ferrari this season.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Schlesische posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/force-india-makes-first-move-in-force-one-name-change-924268

Please go with "Force One Brand" thanks

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Schlesische posted:

Wow, never thought they'd pick a name worse than Force India. F1 always is surprising.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
So many Rosberg tears in this thread still. So delicious, so yummy.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
Alright then, so what would you name your very own F1 team? Comedy option or serious?

I'd go with Scuderia Forza Uno.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

So many Rosberg tears in this thread still. So delicious, so yummy.

I was definitely rooting against Rosberg but in hindsight it's awesome that a less talented driver just efforted himself to the title.

aequalis posted:

Alright then, so what would you name your very own F1 team? Comedy option or serious?

I'd go with Scuderia Forza Uno.

If you are a single person starting a race team the only acceptable team name option is your last name.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Force None

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Farce India

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Farce India

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Force ');DELETE FROM teams WHERE NAME LIKE "Ferrari";--

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
forreal anything is better than force india

i vote team poop

its dood upside down

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bring back Hesketh, Tyrell or Brabhams.

Watching 1 its pretty sad how Lotus ended.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
The If You Know What I Mean Team

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Team Monster Energy Grid Girls
Team Brazzers
Team Hurst Golden Shifter
Team Benneton
Team Roman Reigns
Chip Ganassi Racing

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 28, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Force India is a good name imo

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Farce India

Fart Bindia

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
team monaco grid girl outfits team

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Force extradition back to India.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Force One has excellent brand synergy potential with laxative makers imo, Ron would be proud. That also means when the car or driver is poo poo they can just claim it's a 'branding exercise.'

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Force One has excellent brand synergy potential with laxative makers imo, Ron would be proud. That also means when the car or driver is poo poo they can just claim it's a 'branding exercise.'

Built in brand synergy with Nike, too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NtotheTC posted:

But Rosberg never had to contend with other people. The Merc was so fast in the last 3 seasons that even when Rosberg couldn't get near Hamilton on the day, he was pretty much guaranteed 2nd. Then on days when Hamilton's car failed or he couldn't make the car work (situations like Russia/Monaco this year) Rosberg was gifted an easy win, whereas Bottas actually has to fight for it. So yes, Rosberg made more points than Bottas did but I wouldn't say that's through driving better. And when you can reliably finish 2nd it makes the title battle seem closer that it might otherwise have been if Seb or someone else was frequently beating him.

Rosberg won lots of races last year. Bottas has won like one or something.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Rosberg had a car that was better than literally everyone else except his teammate.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Seems like he capitalized on his chances and won lots of races, and the World Drivers Championship, unlike the supposedly far better Lewis Hamilton. Would like an explanation from Lewis's increasingly deranged fanbase if possible.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just lol that you babbies are still this butthurt that Are Rossie beat petulant Lewis.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Dubs posted:

forreal anything is better than force india

i vote team poop

its dood upside down

and dood is just boob in a mirror

Also this might be of interest to some of you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine-40417286/indianapolis-500-racing-into-the-history-books

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Because on the days when Hamilton doesn't perform, Bottas still has to fight the Ferraris. Bottas would have won Monaco for example if he'd had the advantage over Vettel/Kimi that Rosberg had last year. He would have won from a lap down last weekend if the red bulls had the same gap they had last year.... If you look at the 2014/2015 seasons it's almost the exact same ratio after the first 8 races.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nico won like seven races in a row or something. I don't think Bottas has shown that he could do something like that.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nico won like seven races in a row or something. I don't think Bottas has shown that he could do something like that.

Weren't half of those after Lewis had already trashed him in the WCD and won it with 3 races to go? lmbo.

Lewis has got you shook to the point where you're sticking your neck out for Nico Rosberg, a driver for whom one and a half years of solid, concentrated effort, to the detriment of his family and future career elevated him from "average driver" to the lofty heights of "slightly above average driver able to capitalise on the poor reliability of his teammates car and barely scrape together a WDC win".

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If he had a car that no other team could compete with maybe he could. I'm not a Hamilton fan but you are being deluded.

• Locked thread