Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

nevertheless all those folks agreed that the thing was called aluminum and only wannabe romans pretended it was aluminium.

interestingly morveau wanted to call the metal that was theoretically inside alum 'alumine' while lavosier called it something like 'agrilla' (latin for clay) in his tentative early periodic table, both only had access to aluminum oxides tho and were probably only referring to the actual oxides; in french alumine survives as the oxide's common name while alumina is used in english; davy's earliest name for aluminum was just alumium which was later switched to aluminum for reasons i guess

at the end of the day you're right tho, people criticized davy just for the sin of inventing a less classically sounding word even though conventionally the -um ending versus -ium is preferred for elements formerly bearing an -a instead of an -ia from their common oxides, ores or old common names, like platin-a becoming platinum, molybden-a ore becoming molybdenum or magnes-ia alba becoming magnesium, this preference isn't consistent tho since soda became sodium and potash became potassium ... although that may be because the first scientific names proposed for these elements were natronium/natrium, from the egyptian salt natron, and kalium, from al'kali/al-qalyah the arabic term for plant ash, either way it's just a bunch of 200 year old dudes pretty much using pig latin for naming things because neo-latin was really cool back then

hall popularizing aluminum in america when he started producing a lot of it sealed the deal on america never ever budging on a name foreigners agreed to change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Holding steadfast to word definitions found in dictionaries is dumb. As long as you're able to understand what the person is saying, or be willing to ask/listen to what it means, then what's the difference? It's all made-up anyways. May as well be OK with people using language for their own needs or wants.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I always thought designating someone as your "best friend" was the sort of needlessly dramatic gesture that normal people should grow out of by the time they leave middle school.

It should also never ever ever be spelled "bestfriend."

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Every british/australian astronomer/physicist I've seen give a talk uses it and it irrationally bothers me. It's just kind of jarring to go from x and y to zed. Also "naught" instead of zero. Also decimal points instead of commas, like 1.000 for one thousand.

I've never seen decimal points used instead of commas in Australia. Is this a British thing, or just something that happens in astronomy/physics specifically?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw the decimal thing in Spain.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yes it's mostly non English speaking countries that do it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, in most of europe they switch commas and periods when numbers are involved. So what would be $1,000.00 in english speaking countries would be 1.000,00 in europe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, in most of europe they switch commas and periods when numbers are involved. So what would be $1,000.00 in english speaking countries would be 1.000,00 in europe.

Word on the street is this caused massive loving problems when international transactions started being handled by different computer systems that didn't understand the difference. Pretty sure they got it figured out pretty quickly though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Me too!

Actually mongels are genetically superior.

DID SOMEONE SAY MONGOLS?!?!? :finland:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The only sane way is to use a space as a thousands separator so there is no chance of confusion (so for instance 1 000,00 if you live in a first-world country or 1 000.00 if you don't).

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
1e3 like a sane person

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

starkebn posted:

1e3 like a sane person

The gently caress is that, a Doom level?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
No karate in the pit

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dross posted:

Also as far as I can tell you can approximate Aussie slang by simply truncating every noun and ending it with -rvo
Sometimes it's a Y or IE on the end.

Every british/australian astronomer/physicist I've seen give a talk uses it and it irrationally bothers me.
When I used to watch Stargate Atlantis I really enjoyed the fact that Rodney referred to the "zero point modules" as "zed-pee-ems".

walrusman posted:

I always thought designating someone as your "best friend" was the sort of needlessly dramatic gesture that normal people should grow out of by the time they leave middle school.

It should also never ever ever be spelled "bestfriend."
What bout BFF? Is that OK?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would not be unreasonable if the people with the proportionately largest tax bills - who are paying the most into the system - were entitled to an extra vote at every election in recognition of their contribution.

I believe that this would go a long way towards dealing with the persistent problem of illegal evasion and avoidance of taxes and change popular attitudes towards taxation for the better.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Give rich people more votes...that would work. 🙄

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rich people don't pay taxes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Collateral Damage posted:

Rich people don't pay taxes.

That's the idea of his thing though I think, if paying taxes (not just being rich) gave you more power, they'd start to. You would have to ban lobbying and donations entirely though since currently those give you more power than just an extra vote or two.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That's the idea of his thing though I think, if paying taxes (not just being rich) gave you more power, they'd start to. You would have to ban lobbying and donations entirely though since currently those give you more power than just an extra vote or two.

I didn't think of that. :(

Never mind, then.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

People who nitpick other people's posts to start arguments are cool and good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Decrepus posted:

People who nitpick other people's posts to start arguments are cool and good.

Careful, you're going to summon Tiggum.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
There have been countless words and videos made about how bad the Star Wars prequels were and for the most part, I agree with them; the prequels weren't as good as they could have been and much of that can be put at the feet of George Lucas not being as good a filmmaker as he thinks he is. In particular I still see people joking about him saying "It's like Poetry, they rhyme" during the making of The Phantom Menace. My unpopular opinion is that rather than that being something to continually make fun of, the idea of Luke and Anakin's journey through each trilogy mirroring each other is actually a really good idea and GL should have focused on that more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

King of Foolians posted:

There have been countless words and videos made about how bad the Star Wars prequels were and for the most part, I agree with them; the prequels weren't as good as they could have been and much of that can be put at the feet of George Lucas not being as good a filmmaker as he thinks he is. In particular I still see people joking about him saying "It's like Poetry, they rhyme" during the making of The Phantom Menace. My unpopular opinion is that rather than that being something to continually make fun of, the idea of Luke and Anakin's journey through each trilogy mirroring each other is actually a really good idea and GL should have focused on that more.

CineD has terrible and correctly unpopular opinions about star wars.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

King of Foolians posted:

Think they're gonna do it for a third time with the new main trilogy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Star Wars are ugly films. Like, unpleasant to watch, they're so ugly. I felt drained and suffocated in the world they built in a similar way to how I felt watching Cries and Whispers. Only Bergman used subtle manipulation through color and staging to purposefully achieve that effect and I don't know what the hell's happening in Star Wars to do it. It's really strange.

Darth Vader and the score deserve better films.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Das Boo posted:

Star Wars are ugly films. Like, unpleasant to watch, they're so ugly. I felt drained and suffocated in the world they built in a similar way to how I felt watching Cries and Whispers. Only Bergman used subtle manipulation through color and staging to purposefully achieve that effect and I don't know what the hell's happening in Star Wars to do it. It's really strange.

Darth Vader and the score deserve better films.

:agreed:

Something about the color temperature or lighting is ... the visual equivalent of strident. Harsh?

I love the detail put into sets and models. Not knowing anything about film, though, it feels like a cheap handicam movie.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I feel like I'm going crazy. Everyone I meet feels like Master of None is the greatest show ever and is so profound and I can't figure out what's so special. None of the episodes are... artistic? in any way. There's an episode about how Aziz eats pork but his family doesn't. During the episode.... he goes places and eats pork. Then his family finds out he eats pork and he's like wow isn't that crazy we're so different but not really that different after all, thanks for watching! Or an episode about how dating is so crazy these days! Aziz goes on dates with an app! Some are good! Some are bad! Didn't we unfold layers of the human condition you have been yearning to understand? When is there some actual conflict or something actually insightful?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stealth Tiger posted:

I feel like I'm going crazy. Everyone I meet feels like Master of None is the greatest show ever and is so profound and I can't figure out what's so special. None of the episodes are... artistic? in any way. There's an episode about how Aziz eats pork but his family doesn't. During the episode.... he goes places and eats pork. Then his family finds out he eats pork and he's like wow isn't that crazy we're so different but not really that different after all, thanks for watching! Or an episode about how dating is so crazy these days! Aziz goes on dates with an app! Some are good! Some are bad! Didn't we unfold layers of the human condition you have been yearning to understand? When is there some actual conflict or something actually insightful?

It's also the worst acted show I've ever seen. Like absolutely terrible.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Stealth Tiger posted:

For some reason the same people who find him funny also find his serious show to be deep and insightful. There's no accounting for bad taste. He's the worst thing comedy has thrust upon us since Dane Cook (honorable mentions: carlos mencia, the puppet guy but they are a different style).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Aziz Ansari is funny. Deal with it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aziz Ansari is cool and good, his standup isn't my thing but Master of None is a fantastically well crafted show I feel like I can actually relate to unlike of most things on TV. He's just a good cute tiny guy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aziz Ansari is bad, and the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is good, but worse than 30 rock

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Veep is the best comedy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stealth Tiger posted:

I feel like I'm going crazy. Everyone I meet feels like Master of None is the greatest show ever and is so profound and I can't figure out what's so special. None of the episodes are... artistic? in any way.

Also their reasoning behind the weird aspect ratio is incredibly dumb.

Alan Yang posted:

We pushed really hard for the anamorphic aspect ratio. We did a camera test where it was Aziz's stand-in Danny looking through some papers. With the regular aspect ratio, it looked pretty boring. But then with the anamorphic ratio, we were like, "What's Danny looking at? That poo poo looks interesting as hell!"

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I wish the Simpsons didn't exist because I find the art style highly dislikeable and am sick of seeing it everywhere.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nordick posted:

I wish the Simpsons didn't exist because I find the art style highly dislikeable and am sick of seeing it everywhere.

loving Carol Burnett! :argh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Das Boo posted:

Perhaps Star Wars is also using subtle manipulation through colour and staging to purposefully achieve that effect?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Star Wars is cool because it's full of spaceships, explosions, Kung Fu, magic, and laser swords.

On the other hand, it teaches you it's okay to rebel against authority. So it's a mixed bag.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It also teaches you that love and other emotional attachments are a path to The Dark Side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Yeah, the Jedi are dorks!