Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Buer
Oct 23, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Guacamelee

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

Went digging for a bunch of smaller, cheaper games but I'm looking to trim the list a little. Any suggestions on what to axe?

Valdis Story
Pony Island

Post your steam ids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I use these sales to get classic games that I've never played. Dungeon Siege I through III is only $4 total. Are they worth playing?

I never got around to BioShock Infinite - is $7.50 the lowest it's been? Is the season pass worth it?

Any other suggestions for hot deals on popular games of the last 10 years? (I realize this may be a dumb question, considering the shear magnitude...)

Dr Strangepants fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 28, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm now gonna talk about Stories the Path of Destinies since it was given to me.

if Stories was judged purely on its gameplay it would probably just be a C+ game, but because of the interesting nature of its structure and narrative, it slides into a B-. congrats! a bronze medal

gameplay-wise, it's just sort of an isometric action game with arkham-lite combat, with very bare bones loot (you get ore to upgrade/essences to upgrade your swords, and gems with passive perks that you install like materia on your gauntlet). it's passable but it would not sell the game by itself. bear in mind i've played games like driftmoon which had way worse combat that I suffered through because I was charmed by the dorky low-budget world they made. there's a skill tree at level up but not all of the skills are all that interesting. just being real here!!

now for the narrative, Stories goes for a Virtue's Last Reward style "relive the story but you remember things" structure. you will play 5 chapters and get an ending, almost always bad, and your choices determine where you go and how the story unfolds. there are 24 total stories to play out, although they are sorted into 4 different ending types, each revolving around a certain Truth. The stories are often amusing, especially because you can choose for Reynaldo (the player character) to disregard his own past-life intuition. The game is narrated and while it's no Stanley Parable, there is plenty of dialogue and most of it is new in every run. One fun thing I found was I was spinning around in a circle for no real reason and the narrator had something to say about that (actually it has a couple of different things to say).

the game has good art design and cartoony character designs that are a cut above the average. the music is nice (and I believe performed by a real orchestra) though not particularly memorable. WARNING, the game has a lot of dumb nerd references forced in. I didn't mind the posters in Guacamelee but I do mind the narrator saying "there's an inscription here: PRAISE THE SUN" or "Reynaldo remembered the time he found issue 1 of Superman in a jar he broke" (so there's DC Comics in this universe???). i was waiting for a character to say Bazinga. :|

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dr Strangepants posted:

I use these sales to get classic games that I've never played. Dungeon Siege I through III is only $4 total. Are they worth playing?

I never got around to BioShock Infinite - is $7.50 the lowest it's been? Is the season pass worth it?

Any other suggestions for hot deals on popular games of the last 10 years?

Well before you decide about Dungeon Siege 3...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExeoT_jZHA

Also imo no. DS1 is aged horrible and was really more an MP experience at the time. DS2 is ok but it's basically a weak Diablo clone. DS3's gameplay is pretty bland and basic, theres not much redeeming about it. When there's SO many loving good ARPGs out there, theres no reason to settle for outdated mediocrity. Go play Grim Dawn, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Victor Vran, Marvel Heroes, Titan Quest remasted, Van Helsing, Torchlight, whatever, literally anything else is better.

Also i'd say god no. BioShock Infinite is pretty mediocre and there's much better games out there. It's at least playable and has some moments if you REALLY want it, but the DLC is awful. I'm pretty sure it's been $5 before as well. I would not recommend it unless you've exhausted literally every other good shooter of the last 10+ years.

Go take that $7.5 and go buy Call of Juarez: Gunslinger instead. Or Metro 2033, or Metro Last Light, or Doom 4, or Wolfenstein: TNO, or Far Cry: Blood Dragon, or STALKER games, or Hard Reset, or Shadow Warrior 1 & 2, or Spec Ops, or even Bioshock 1+2 again, or literally just donate it to charity.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 28, 2017

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Xaris posted:

Also imo no. DS1 is aged horrible and was really more an MP experience at the time. DS2 is ok but it's basically a weak Diablo clone. DS3's gameplay is pretty bland and basic, theres not much redeeming about it. When there's SO many loving good ARPGs out there, theres no reason to settle for outdated mediocrity. Go play Grim Dawn, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Victor Vran, Marvel Heroes, Titan Quest remasted, Van Helsing, Torchlight, whatever, literally anything else is better.

Also i'd say god no. BioShock Infinite is pretty mediocre and there's much better games out there. It's at least playable and has some moments if you REALLY want it, but the DLC is awful. I'm pretty sure it's been $5 before as well. I would not recommend it unless you've exhausted literally every other good shooter of the last 10+ years.

Go take that $7.5 and go buy Call of Juarez: Gunslinger instead. Or Metro 2033, or Metro Last Light, or Doom 4, or Wolfenstein: TNO, or Far Cry: Blood Dragon, or STALKER games, or Hard Reset, or Shadow Warrior 1 & 2, or Spec Ops, or even Bioshock 1+2 again, or literally just donate it to charity.

This is good advice, life is too short to play bad games. During these sales always remember that time is one of your most precious resources

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ZZZorcerer posted:

This is good advice, life is too short to play bad games. During these sales always remember that time is one of your most precious resources

:agreed: this should be the next sale thread title

Plastic Goldbaby
Sep 8, 2010

Purple horseshoes?
Sure, if they be nailed to a golden horse.

Brother Buer posted:

Post your steam ids

drat man, I really appreciate it!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lotsstick/

Dr Strangepants posted:

Any other suggestions for hot deals on popular games of the last 10 years? (I realize this may be a dumb question, considering the shear magnitude...)

After waiting forever to play it, I finally got it pretty cheap a couple years back and found it incredibly disappointing. It becomes a slog very quickly and I found myself wanting to play the first two instead. So I would recommend playing those (if you haven't yet) instead.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'm waffling between Starpoint Gemini Warlords and Everspace.

Both sound like games I would enjoy. Help tip me over the edge on one that will be worth my limited gaming time.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Brother Buer posted:

Post your steam ids

http://steamcommunity.com/id/drunkenengineer/

Man, thanks a bunch!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

Went digging for a bunch of smaller, cheaper games but I'm looking to trim the list a little. Any suggestions on what to axe?

Valdis Story
Reigns
Bloodgate
Neo Scavenger
This War of Mine
Pony Island
You Must Build a Boat
Massive Chalice
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Shrouded in Sanity
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
Paper Sorcerer
Flamebreak

Neo Scavenger is pretty good but be aware it's not a typical stats-driven RPG or anything like that (I don't know what its current marketing is looking like so maybe this advice is redundant).
Can possibly drop Massive Chalice unless you're looking for something XCom-ish. It's not bad, but it's not amazing either, and the central conceit of families and generations of heroes doesn't quite work as well as I'd hoped.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

People were asking about Nier Automata - it is no exaggeration for me personally that it is the best game of 2017 so far.

It's not perfect but it does things with the story other games can't come close to approaching, and it actually has fun Platinum style combat on top of that (although it does wear thin by the end)

It's on sale for $40 or so I believe but it did just come out 3 months ago.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Caved and bought prey. Review so far: it is a system shock game, as promised.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

Reigns
You Must Build a Boat
Crypt of the Necrodancer

Reigns is a weird, unique game where events happen and all you do is pick from two choices while balancing four bars. If any of those bars fill or empty, you die, and your successor takes over and the cycle repeats. Some items and events carry over between characters. I think it's better suited for phone for how quick you can get in and out of a game.

You Must Build a Boat is a match 3 puzzle that's crazy addictive and fast. I also think it's better on phone due to how the controls work.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is super fun. Basically rhythm game rogue like with bonuses for keeping the beat. Definitely recommended.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I am tempted to buy the Friday The 13th game, although I've never been a fan of those movies (I'm a Nightmare on Elm Street guy) but it looks fun! I'm willing to trade my steam gifts for it but I don't think they'll even cover the full cost for the game :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Anyone know some cool vive games on sale?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Anyone ever here about this game? Devil Daggers. Just came across it browsing, reviews seem pretty good.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone ever here about this game? Devil Daggers. Just came across it browsing, reviews seem pretty good.
People were gushing over it a while ago. It's just you vs. tons on monsters in an arena.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

What's goon consensus on Abzu?

Reigns is pretty fun, for what it is. Which is to say, a minorly entertaining diversion that you'll probably toss pretty quickly. I've had much worse expenditures of 2 bucks and an hour or two.

I think it's been said plenty, but Metro, Doom 4, and Witcher 3 are all hideously good deals right now.

I bring this up to ask: what about Prey and Nier: Automata? I've heard good things, but they feel a little pricey to me right now. I'm probably willing to wait til winter or next year's summer sale.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nier Automata is GOTY for me atm :

- Interesting characters
- Mindfuck Yoko Taro story + assorted emotions
- Excellent adaptive music
- Platinum gameplay + RPG elements. Not as intricate as Bayonetta but still very fun

Whether that's worth the current asking price is up to you, but I bought it at launch with no regrets. Iirc the best summary whether if you like Automata was (paraphrasing) Do you like Bayonetta and feeling really sad?

Protip: Tutorial area is badly designed and has no save points until after you clear it. Feel free to blast through it on easy

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Tulip posted:

I played it a couple weeks ago and had a lovely time. Can't recommend it enough.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZZZorcerer posted:

Keep Crypt of the Necrodancer

Drop Fahrenheit, you're probably better off watching an LP if you're interested in the craziness than playing that trash.

You Must Build a Boat is not a game to be played on PC, get it on a phone if you want it. I didn't like it, but I don't like that kind of game.

Dunno about the others, but I'm considering This War of Mine too

Fahrenheit is actually amazing, just make sure you set the qtes to be full screen, and prepare yourself for a fully mental story.

E: you fist fight the internet

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 28, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Stumpus posted:

I'm waffling between Starpoint Gemini Warlords and Everspace.

Both sound like games I would enjoy. Help tip me over the edge on one that will be worth my limited gaming time.

I don't know the former but I bought the latter this sale. Everspace is fun, it looks great and the random encounters/zones make for good replayability.
I am only 8 hour sin, this is what I learned:

It has a zone mechanic that is the same as in FTL, you enter a zone, explore it/fight a bit until at some point you get a warning that the enemy fleet arrives, which means "Time to haul rear end outta here" and you jump to the next zone, which you chose on a map from 2-3 alternative paths that all lead to a jumpgate into a new sector via some other zones. This looks very similar to path picking in FTL, if I remember that game correctly. When you die, you keep your credits to use in the shop before the next run but loose all progress.

As for the ship: you have a standard ship and there are 2 more unlockable ones, as well as unlockable loadouts (similar to ftl again), a wealth of unlockable clours, primary and secondary decals, as well as perks (more hull strength, faster shield recharge, more weapon slots etc.) that you unlock by paying credits you earn in your runs. During a run you can also upgrade weapons/shields and items by gathering resources (these upgrades are lost when you die though) and you can repair your ship.

There also is a story behind it, but I haven't seen much yet and it seems this only consists of cutscenes with memories and the occasional special enemy. But again I haven't delved into this much.

All that said, the random zones are kinda samey after a while (there seem to be 5 types: asteroid field, planet orbit, ice asteroids, space columns, debris field) and so are the enemies, but I like the roguelike aspect of it and it is great fun so far, basically it kinda plays like a first person (or third person) FTL. I got my moneys worth and I plan to play a lot more of it.

Tipp: use a gamepad, also it only saves after jumps upon entering a new zone/sector.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Tenzarin posted:

Anyone know some cool vive games on sale?

Yon Paradox - a time-fuckery puzzle game. at regular intervals you warp back in time, but each loop creates a copy of you that does what you did. However, you cannot allow yourself to be seen by your past selves, because that would cause a deadly paradox

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Ok, I need some goon opinions here.
I've bought pretty much everything I wanted - well, almost. I revised my cart more than once.
There's room for a final 20-25€ game.
There's three competing games left. Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny and Divinity: Original Sin.
Which one did you prefer and why?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Char posted:

I've bought pretty much everything I wanted - well, almost. I revised my cart more than once.
There's three competing games left. Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny and Divinity: Original Sin.
Divinity apparently has very inventive and interesting gameplay - co-op, even - but really bad wannabe funny writing.

Tyranny, by all accounts, has really good writing, in the Obsidian traditions.

I didn't care for either the combat nor (what little I saw of) the story in Pillars.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Char posted:

I found the writing in Divinity: Original Sin to be both uninspiring and long-winded to the point where I couldn't finish it, but people have accused Pillars of Eternity of the same thing and I enjoyed it immensely. I think it depends on whether you consider engaging combat mechanics or interesting quests and characters to be more important. Tyranny is also narrative-focused, but it has an unusual setting compared to the more traditional one in Pillars of Eternity. However, it also has a lot less content than either of the other games, and lacks a satisfying final act.

Overall, I feel like I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity the most, but Tyranny may come close once all of the additional content has been released. It might be worth waiting for a complete edition.

basalt fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 28, 2017

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Char posted:

in my opinion:

Pillars: Characters are well written but voice acting isnt very good overall, story/writing is bleh, lots of exposition that didnt engage me at all, combat starts good but becomes bland because there is a poo poo ton of combat in that loving game
Tyranny: The main NPCs are really well written and voice acted. The characters in your party are the blandest crap. Story/writing is pretty good, lots of choices and multiple playthroughs are needed to see them all. Combat is better than pillars but theres a lot of it and becomes a chore rather quickly
Divinity: Characters arent really interesting, story/writing is maximum tongue in cheek, combat is the best one of the three, its turn based with lots of different synergies between the classes and the fights are spaced out in a better way and are more rewarding than in the other games.

I had the most fun with Divinity

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does Bioshock 2 Remastered not include Minerva's Den?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm finally back at home and can actually buy some games on sale now. I'll probably grab like half a dozen Pinball FX tables that I missed.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Xaris posted:

ZZZorcerer posted:

Thank you for the recommendations! Maybe I shouldn't be so eager to play older games, since in general game design does improve over time, unless they are considered to have aged well. I'll look into some of those other ARPGs and other suggestions.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Rinkles posted:

Does Bioshock 2 Remastered not include Minerva's Den?

Almost positive it does.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Xander77, basalt and lalaland, thanks for your impressions.
I guess I'll go with Divinity, and wait for Tyranny content updates. Eventually I'll get PoE as well, but it seems the most... "vanilla" game among the three.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Friendly reminder if you don't own Super Hot you should and it's on sale for $15.

It has a unique presentation and amazing unique gameplay that is unforgiving but also keeps you sucked in to "one more time" at least 20 times.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
This is my first time buying stuff in a steam sale since xmas 2015 and I swear some stuff was cheaper then. Has this been a trend recently and will stuff not get deeper discounts in the fall/winter sales?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Tulip posted:

It's a really beautiful, relaxing exploration game but it's pretty light on gameplay. There are a couple very light puzzles, but mostly it's just swimming and looking at ocean life. Extremely pretty though, so it makes a good chill out game (unless the deep ocean gives you massive anxiety, in which case parts of the game will turn your stomach)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Catching up with a page:

Bioshock Infinite is underwhelming in both gameplay and story terms. Unless you really want it, avoid it.

Divinity: Original Sin has the best combat, Tyranny has the best writing, and Pillars is good all around. My vote is for D:OS before the other two but all three are a worthwhile purchase.

Yes, we've had better discounts on almost everything on sale. The era of insanely cheap sales is over.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh yeah, I forgot to thank Nekoxid for Owlboy. I heard good things about it and I'll definitely play it! You're the best!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Someone tell me something horribly annoying about Dark Souls 3. I'm on the verge of buying it but have a load of good games in my backlog already.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

http://i.imgur.com/Lalu0I2.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Kin posted:

Someone tell me something horribly annoying about Dark Souls 3. I'm on the verge of buying it but have a load of good games in my backlog already.

It's not as focused as 1 or as mechanically interesting as 2. I honestly feel like they attempted to cram a number of Bloodborne elements in the Dark Souls 1 formula without fully considering how well they would fit. Enemies move faster and more aggressively but the player's toolset isn't expanded to react to those changes in a meaningful way.

It's definitely worth playing at some point if you like the series, but I wouldn't make it a priority.

• Locked thread