Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, how are we supposed to read that? The feminazi gloats, then she looks depressed, and THEN she looks at the dude with the waifu pillow?

This is Red Panels we're talking about - every comic is a sad indictment of the authors worldview, intentionally or not. There's debate on whether he realizes this as he writes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

red panels is the only person with more own goals than the president.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I wonder if that's why he stopped. He had a moment of terrible realization and fled from his creation in terror.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

There are more?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he has one where he says libs need to stop calling us nazis and the last panel is them putting libs in a concentration camp

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

he has one where he says libs need to stop calling us nazis and the last panel is them putting libs in a concentration camp

And his last comic is him doing a Hitler salute.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

it shaun posted:

The thumbnail is like her previous "Taking the red pill?" title in that it's clearly pandering to the anti-fems for views, which is disappointing. The video itself is just a bunch of waffling of no real consequence. "Some people think this, some other people think this, let me know what you think in the comments!" Kinda boring.

I've been wanting to make a video about Laci & have been waiting for her to do anything other than talk in circles about how everyone is mean to her now, but I've been waiting a while.

I'm pretty sure she's going to stay in this holding pattern forever. It's a good way to never commit and potentially please everyone, or at least not horribly piss off her new buddies while keeping moderates happy and continuing to feel aligned with feminism. Also a good way to be all "nothing I'm saying is controversial you're all just extremists if you don't like me!"

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NikkolasKing posted:

Of course, I think it be perfectly fair to say the most popular Libertarian in American history is Ayn Rand. Say what you want about her (because it's all justified) but she was actually pro-choice from what I know.

Uh, Rand had incredibly crazy things to say on the front of fairly basic feminist things like consent. Just read the Fountainhead. The idea that Libertarians are level-headed comes from listening to the 4.99 minutes before the crazy starts to come out of every orifice. In the experience I have with Libertarians, most would have been rep pillers if the philosophy was around back then. It attracts dregs, and dregs are looking for any reason why they are human failures besides themselves.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

rkajdi posted:

Uh, Rand had incredibly crazy things to say on the front of fairly basic feminist things like consent. Just read the Fountainhead. The idea that Libertarians are level-headed comes from listening to the 4.99 minutes before the crazy starts to come out of every orifice. In the experience I have with Libertarians, most would have been rep pillers if the philosophy was around back then. It attracts dregs, and dregs are looking for any reason why they are human failures besides themselves.

Is that the one where a man rapes a woman and the woman falls in love with him because he "takes what he wants" or something like that?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

aware of dog posted:

Is that the one where a man rapes a woman and the woman falls in love with him because he "takes what he wants" or something like that?

Got it in one.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I liked the coy reference to Chris being a racist in the 2 genders video. Like, we know, it's good. You can't really defuse poo poo like that by getting out ahead of it if what you're sarcastically saying is 100% true.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Are we still talking about star wars because they zoom on to Ren's bleeding wound during the fight and he grunts and poo poo even punches it at one point to try to get his adrenaline up.

I had this stupid rear end argument on the ride home from the theater. I'm compelled to have it even 8 pages later

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Deified Data posted:

I liked the coy reference to Chris being a racist in the 2 genders video. Like, we know, it's good. You can't really defuse poo poo like that by getting out ahead of it if what you're sarcastically saying is 100% true.

she's so dumb...the dude legit tweeted white genocide memes lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

rkajdi posted:

I never said Rand was a feminist, although now I'm kind of curious about the Fountainhead. I'd be interested in knowing the exact context of that scene you mention. This idea of "making the girl want it" or even "I know that you want it" was not at all uncommon a few short decades ago. I saw it in Gone with the Wind (which was written by an actual feminist and its depiction of women was very progressive, even if its race stuff was not), Goldfinger and i think Rocky IIRC. (Adrian said no but Rocky said yes and then Adrian submitted.)

As for Libertarians, it's a political ideology that says nothing but "I want small government." That says nothing about the individual's social policies. Libertarianism was founded by Far Leftists, not the perverse corporate shill Libertarian we have in America.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

it shaun posted:

The thumbnail is like her previous "Taking the red pill?" title in that it's clearly pandering to the anti-fems for views, which is disappointing. The video itself is just a bunch of waffling of no real consequence. "Some people think this, some other people think this, let me know what you think in the comments!" Kinda boring.

I've been wanting to make a video about Laci & have been waiting for her to do anything other than talk in circles about how everyone is mean to her now, but I've been waiting a while.

I noticed that on her twitter she's been asking her readers to give her definitions of things, like "ok fam, what do you think about the idea of patriarchy? Comment below!"

I don't know if she's always done that or if she uses the responses in her videos, but based on that kind of discourse I would expect her videos to list slowly rightward as the harsh twitter character limit squeezes out all nuance until she's just "evaluating" responses in a way that points out that a 128-character definition of patriarchy seems vague or unbelievable, as compared to the frogmen chuds who post pithy denials like "there is no secret vault of grandfathers writing no-woman laws!" and so she has to give the point to the frogmen.

I have no idea if it's deliberate or just naive, but it's troubling that she'd move to taking audience participation as research instead of reading books or finally going to school like she's been promising to do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

business hammocks posted:

"there is no secret vault of grandfathers writing no-woman laws!"
They're right. It's not secret.
https://twitter.com/PattyMurray/status/845001919034732544

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NikkolasKing posted:

I never said Rand was a feminist, although now I'm kind of curious about the Fountainhead. I'd be interested in knowing the exact context of that scene you mention. This idea of "making the girl want it" or even "I know that you want it" was not at all uncommon a few short decades ago. I saw it in Gone with the Wind (which was written by an actual feminist and its depiction of women was very progressive, even if its race stuff was not), Goldfinger and i think Rocky IIRC. (Adrian said no but Rocky said yes and then Adrian submitted.)

Media was also super rapey in the 80s and 90s too. That doesn't excuse it, especially since this is a work that's practically treated like a religious text by modern libertarians. The idea that a strong man just gets to take and it's fine because women secretly love it after the fact is still a cancer on our society, so the thought that libertarians absorb this into their psyche along with the rest of the toxic ideas from the book shouldn't be beyond the pale.

quote:

As for Libertarians, it's a political ideology that says nothing but "I want small government." That says nothing about the individual's social policies. Libertarianism was founded by Far Leftists, not the perverse corporate shill Libertarian we have in America.

I'm talking about real libertarians, not the hypothetical ones who might exist in some Schrodinger's Political Box. Small state/no state philosophies always go right in the end, since the lack of a state just allows for King Assholes to set up camp. My experience from when I was in the Libertarian movement is that they are if anything more openly racist than the standard conservatives out there, owing to the fact that as a fringe movement they are a magnet for dregs and crazies. Molyneux is par for the course with them from my experience. I'm not the dude isn't pants on head bonkers, I'm saying that the whole libertarian movement is fringe and thus picks up all the detritus we're better off just not having in society.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

In America, "Small government left libertarians" are anarchists who either think anarchism means "burn everything down" or don't want to deal with the people who think that's what it means. They're pretty rare.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I met a few of them visiting Montana, but yeah they're infrequent and fairly spread out. Usually people who got burned by society, left most of it behind, and just want to be left alone.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
A shame Sargon took down his "debate" with Red Panels guy. It was an amazing trainwreck.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Archer666 posted:

A shame Sargon took down his "debate" with Red Panels guy. It was an amazing trainwreck.

OH poo poo is there a mirror of this? was it actually entertaining trainwreck?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Lord posted:

In America, "Small government left libertarians" are anarchists who either think anarchism means "burn everything down" or don't want to deal with the people who think that's what it means. They're pretty rare.

Yup, it's always been people too dumb to realize that anarchy is a right wing endgame, not a left wing one. And shocker, the people dumb enough to actually buy it are also fringe enough that the idea of burning everything down isn't crippling scary to them, again because they have nothing, are nothing, and accomplish nothing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

libertarianism is just a dishonest defense of oligarchy.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Terrible Opinions posted:

I met a few of them visiting Montana, but yeah they're infrequent and fairly spread out. Usually people who got burned by society, left most of it behind, and just want to be left alone.

Isn't that the profile for Randy Weaver or the Unibomber? I mean, the whole mountain person who wants to be crazy and alone in the wilderness doesn't exactly have a great ending profile for regular society.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

rkajdi posted:

Isn't that the profile for Randy Weaver or the Unibomber? I mean, the whole mountain person who wants to be crazy and alone in the wilderness doesn't exactly have a great ending profile for regular society.

Unabomber didn't want to be left alone, he wanted society to stop using technology.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

rkajdi posted:

Yup, it's always been people too dumb to realize that anarchy is a right wing endgame, not a left wing one.

What are you talking about.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Unabomber didn't want to be left alone, he wanted society to stop using technology.

He was a loser from society who went back into the hills and tried to ruin the real world because he couldn't hack it. Seems to line up with the "selectively leave society after it chews you up" profile pretty well.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And the Gulag he was thrown in was people in the public saying "That's tasteless."

If I remember right he actually was really hurt by all the negative flak though, he wasn't actually some rear end in a top hat who hated women or whatever. Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading he was wearing a goofy shirt that his friends got him specifically as a joke to lightly rib him on and it was a stupid mistake to wear it on TV. He seemed really really socially awkward from the interview too so i could see him not getting what was going on. I don't know if I missed anything but he seemed genuinely sorry when he appeared literally crying and apologizing because he dumb choice of shirt overshadowed maybe the greatest personal achievement of his life

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Praseodymi posted:

What are you talking about.

Anarchy and small government leftism are mirages. As soon as the state steps back, King Assholes step in and that's the end of a leftist dream. The lack of government isn't some worker's paradise, it's Somalia.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 28, 2017

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

OH poo poo is there a mirror of this? was it actually entertaining trainwreck?

I don't think so. I've tried searching for one and haven't found anything.

Oh man, the debate itself was something else. Imagine 2 people talking past each other and getting increasingly angry at one another, for like 2 hours.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

rkajdi posted:

It is but there are a lot of crazy mountain people and only a fairly small minority are violent. Most just want to be left alone. Also in general I wouldn't use Weaver as a counter point given that he only really interacted with society again because society reached out to him and killed a family member.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

rkajdi posted:

Anarchy and small government leftism are mirages. As soon as the state steps back, King Assholes step in and that's the end of an leftist dream. The lack of government isn't some worker's paradise, it's Somalia.
Agreed on the big picture but "I want no part of this" is still a perfectly natural reaction to capitalism.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wouldn't use Weaver as a counter point given that he only really interacted with society again because society reached out to him and killed a family member.

two.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rkajdi posted:

He was a loser from society who went back into the hills and tried to ruin the real world because he couldn't hack it. Seems to line up with the "selectively leave society after it chews you up" profile pretty well.

He's not the most famous psychopath to graduate from Harvard nor does he have the largest body count, but his is one of the few psychopaths actually created by Harvard.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

business hammocks posted:

He's not the most famous psychopath to graduate from Harvard nor does he have the largest body count, but his is one of the few psychopaths actually created by Harvard.

holy poo poo I just read up on him, holy gently caress Harvard is a trash institution.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It is but there are a lot of crazy mountain people and only a fairly small minority are violent. Most just want to be left alone. Also in general I wouldn't use Weaver as a counter point given that he only really interacted with society again because society reached out to him and killed a family member.

Nah, I'm pretty sure a white supremacist gun hoarder is exactly the kind of crazy person I'm talking about. And people who look at society and think "Man, I need to live apart in the hills" aren't having a natural reaction, they're just a bunch of brokebrains.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

rkajdi posted:

Yup, it's always been people too dumb to realize that anarchy is a right wing endgame, not a left wing one. And shocker, the people dumb enough to actually buy it are also fringe enough that the idea of burning everything down isn't crippling scary to them, again because they have nothing, are nothing, and accomplish nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YitdjMORoU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rojava

I've also heard good things about Catalonia while it was under anarchist rule. Really should read Orwell's book.

And Noam Chomsky as a dumb right winger?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YitdjMORoU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rojava

I've also heard good things about Catalonia while it was under anarchist rule. Really should read Orwell's book.

And Noam Chomsky as a dumb right winger?

Listened, and it was dumb as hell. minimalist states aren't going to able to protect people from other groups that develop actual working states instead. It's literally just trying to push the clock back to when we had less sovereign states. Those times tended to suck for a lot of reasons, and one of the big ones was without a vigorous state, there's way more chance that you run into a problem that your lovely micro-state just can't handle. It's also custom-designed for way more conflict and war, since one of the main points of strong states is to create a defensive deterrent against the guy next state over coming by to steal from/rape/kill/enslave you.

Chomsky isn't a right-winger, but he doesn't come off as all that great a thinker on politics either. He's made some very important strides in linguistics, but like the New Atheists he doesn't realize that the knowledge he gets from that field doesn't make him a genius at everything else. Small state thoughts are great ideas if you either think people are somehow fundamentally good or are ready to hit the betray button on day one.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Just leave it. It's pretty clear you've never read an Anarchist text in your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

rkajdi posted:

That's not what I said. My point was that "left libertarians" are anarchists who just don't call themselves that for various reasons.

• Locked thread