Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

They have chipotle ranch flamin hot cheetos in my region now and they're delicious!

--posted from my porcelain hot-tamale maker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

1) My GF and I went on a long weekend that ended up being pretty stressful. We decided to leave early so we could have one day at home together to decompress and play games.

As we are leaving, we narrowly avoided this:
http://katu.com/news/local/two-killed-in-5-vehicle-crash-near-black-butte-ranch

Cue sitting completely still on a road we couldn't turn back from for about two hours.
Hell, on our way up we were almost hit twice by huge trucks going 80+ on twisting country roads. Assholes, all of them.

2) I come back to work and my boss is furious at basically everyone for things that are out of their control and not even worse than normal. Every summer he flips out and makes people want to quit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The girlfriend had a poo poo day at work and I want to comfort her​ but she is in an extremely foul mood so I gotta play my cards right to not make her night rougher.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I try to be better with recycling and being less wasteful. I have a glass bottle at work to fill my water in and even bought reusable baggies for fruits instead using the free plastic ones in the shop. We sort our paper and carton at home.

But my issue is how anal my girlfriend is with what she puts into the carton box. Even the really, really small cartons of let's say toothpaste and the empty rolls of toiletpaper. We need to bundle it up and bind it with string so everytime it's loving mission impossible to somehow make these small pieces not just fall out again every time. But I can't actually be mad as they still make a big part of the waste we have.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

You all don't have those blue recycle bags?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Nah doesn't work like that here. The city comes and picks it up every 2 weeks if you place it in front of your house.

But it needs to be bundled nicely with twine like this.

Otherwise they don't take it.

Some houses/complexes have containers where you can just dump it in, but alas I do not live at such a place.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Helios Grime posted:

I try to be better with recycling and being less wasteful. I have a glass bottle at work to fill my water in and even bought reusable baggies for fruits instead using the free plastic ones in the shop. We sort our paper and carton at home.

But my issue is how anal my girlfriend is with what she puts into the carton box. Even the really, really small cartons of let's say toothpaste and the empty rolls of toiletpaper. We need to bundle it up and bind it with string so everytime it's loving mission impossible to somehow make these small pieces not just fall out again every time. But I can't actually be mad as they still make a big part of the waste we have.

You need to basically do layers man where you squish the small ones between larger ones.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

EmmyOk posted:

You need to basically do layers man where you squish the small ones between larger ones.

Well Duh.
That's why it's my FWP, I don't want to do so many steps.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I have way too many podcasts and not enough portable games that would be good to replace the music with whoever. This means my train rides to work are host to the most inane and useless decision ever - video games, or white people talking about video games on the internet?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helios Grime posted:

Nah doesn't work like that here. The city comes and picks it up every 2 weeks if you place it in front of your house.

Some houses/complexes have containers where you can just dump it in, but alas I do not live at such a place.
Good lord that would drive me crazy. Here in Minneapolis it's all single-sort. Recyclable? Into the big green recycle dumpster/big blue recycle can you go!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Helios Grime posted:

You can't put all of it in another cardboard box? A paper bag?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My favorite panties have been discontinued for years and I just cut the tags off my last stored new ones. This time next year I'll have even more FWP.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can't put all of it in another cardboard box? A paper bag?

Nope. They'll gladly put a sticker on it saying to go suck a bag of dicks and do it their way.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Helios Grime posted:

Nope. They'll gladly put a sticker on it saying to go suck a bag of dicks and do it their way.

See that's bizarre, I have to separate plastic/glass and paper/cardboard, but I stuff all the paper into a Blue Apron box or whatever Amazon box I have handy. They seem to like it since instead of picking up a container and dumping it out into the truck they can just huck the whole box in and move on. I've seen them get my paper recycling without even stopping/fully getting off the truck which is pretty impressive tbh

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm pretty sure the rolls are locked on there, but I'll see what I can do.

I do, but no. I'm not that bougie (yet?).

buying stuff from amazon is apparently bougie, uh ok

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
It's my only day off so I had been planning on going to Six Flags. Well, I went, and it's raining and all the rides are closed :(

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bradzilla posted:

buying stuff from amazon is apparently bougie, uh ok

I'm just not really ready to make the leap to buying groceries online. For one, I have a perfectly good grocery store very near to my apartment. Secondly, I love brick-and-mortar grocery shopping.

As far as Amazon goes, I buy basically every non-grocery non-clothing item I can from them, although I also prefer clothes-shopping in person because I apparently have a non-Euclidean body.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm just not really ready to make the leap to buying groceries online. For one, I have a perfectly good grocery store very near to my apartment. Secondly, I love brick-and-mortar grocery shopping.

As far as Amazon goes, I buy basically every non-grocery non-clothing item I can from them, although I also prefer clothes-shopping in person because I apparently have a non-Euclidean body.

I enjoy grocery shopping but I haven't set foot in a Walgreens/CVS/Rite-Aid in forever. Anything not food-related like contact lens solution or cleaning supplies or whatever ends up being a good chunk cheaper through Amazon.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
We just get a standard delivery of cleaning products, pantry staples and misc (toilet paper, trash bags toothpaste, blah blah) once a fortnight and it's real good going to the supermarket and just buying that nights dinner or whatever and not having to remember a bunch of random bits and bobs.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We got the new Galaxy Active for work phones, but the speakerphones suck if you call anyone.

Everything is static and echoes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm always tired, my brain hurts in one spot and I'm afraid that if I go to the doctor I will become bankrupt.

Maybe I have brain cancer and maybe it will kill me but America is a garbage country that will destroy you even if you have insurance.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cowslips Warren posted:

Everything is static and echoes.

Isn't that true generally?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Inzombiac posted:

I'm always tired, my brain hurts in one spot and I'm afraid that if I go to the doctor I will become bankrupt.

Maybe I have brain cancer and maybe it will kill me but America is a garbage country that will destroy you even if you have insurance.

I think I've said this before, but American health care problems are not first world problems.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Outrail posted:

I think I've said this before, but American health care problems are not first world problems.

It needs to be repeated. The United States is a developed country in many ways, but also one of the most undeveloped at the same time.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It amazes that in TYOOL 2017 there are first world countries that don't do mandatory recycling. Here in Italy each house has a bin for plastic/cans, a bin for paper/cardboard, a bin for glass, a bin for organic waste, and a bin for unrecyclables; the trash collectors come around and pick up organic waste twice weekly and the other stuff bi-weekly. In theory you could just dump everything into the unrecyclables bin, in practice if you have that bin emptied more than x times per year you pay an extra on your bill.

It's seriously not that hard :shrug:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I live in southeast Michigan. We have an in ground pool. There's one great pool guy in the area, but he's a bitch to get a hold of. We'll get told he'll be there tomorrow for weeks at a time, and we have to put up with it because he's the only game in town. This year it was worse because Dad wanted to replace the coping and some tiles, which involves draining it. So we got it opened mid-May, they removed the tiles, and then nothing for a while. So a job that we wanted done before Memorial Day got done mid-June, and our backyard is an eyesore all the while.

So once we finally get it filled back up, it gets unseasonably mild, barely getting over 70 for two weeks.

I want my summer pool fun!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Outrail posted:

Aw, I was going to come complain about how my insurance coverage is apparently "on hold" and HR is looking into it but they don't have an answer yet. Does it become a first world problem if I can afford the prescription I was trying to get without the insurance, it's just like 95% cheaper with?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mikl posted:

It amazes that in TYOOL 2017 there are first world countries that don't do mandatory recycling. Here in Italy each house has a bin for plastic/cans, a bin for paper/cardboard, a bin for glass, a bin for organic waste, and a bin for unrecyclables; the trash collectors come around and pick up organic waste twice weekly and the other stuff bi-weekly. In theory you could just dump everything into the unrecyclables bin, in practice if you have that bin emptied more than x times per year you pay an extra on your bill.

It's seriously not that hard :shrug:

Probably because recycling hasn't really helped. According to the NYT it's a waste of time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/opinion/sunday/the-reign-of-recycling.html

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

meiram posted:

Aw, I was going to come complain about how my insurance coverage is apparently "on hold" and HR is looking into it but they don't have an answer yet. Does it become a first world problem if I can afford the prescription I was trying to get without the insurance, it's just like 95% cheaper with?

To piggyback:
My dentist is doing a great job about fighting my insurance company because they refuse to cover things that they said they would cover.
However I'm still getting bills and one threatening phone call.
The dentist told me to hold off until they win (they have a strong reputation for making insurance companies bend) but it's making me really nervous.

Recycling:
In my state, we throw all potential recyclables into one bin and the city hires a bunch of people to sort it at one of the big facilities. Makes it easier on the people and promotes a little job growth.
(Plus we vote by mail and will soon automatically register everyone on their 18th birthday.)
Oregon rules. America blows.

Edit: ^^^ That's a very interesting read.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
That article's argument seems to be "it costs more to recycle than to put it in landfill"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

starkebn posted:

That article's argument seems to be "it costs more to recycle than to put it in landfill"

That's a real common argument against recycling and it is, in fact, true in the short term. However the external costs of not recycling are a whole other matter. That's especially true when you look at how much trash just gets unceremoniously dumped into the ocean.

Recycling takes more effort and humans are lazy.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
My open-back headphones have a better soundstage and are more comfortable but my closed-back headphones have better bass and detachable cables.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's a real common argument against recycling and it is, in fact, true in the short term. However the external costs of not recycling are a whole other matter. That's especially true when you look at how much trash just gets unceremoniously dumped into the ocean.

Recycling takes more effort and humans are lazy.

I'm personally fine with the idea of spending a bit more money to conserve resources, not rip up more landscape, not expand landfills, not pollute the environment, not rely as heavily on foreign resources, create jobs in the recycling industry, etc etc etc. Unfortunately a LOT of people only see the literal dollar value in the short term and absolutely nothing else, which is why we're still so reluctant to change for the better. Use it up really fast and throw it all away.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
My friend lived in an apartment complex where all you needed to do was put recyclables in a separate bag and then into a bin next to the trash chute, but that was "too hard" so they just dumped everything in the trash. Apparently it is too hard to have one trash bin and one recycle bin in the apartment.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I immediately blew almost all of my larger paycheck on video games :newlol:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Even ignoring my PS4 and PC backlogs, I still have regular Wii games to finish and haven't even touched the WiiU catalog so why am I considering buying a Switch???

starkebn
May 18, 2004

stop spending money hoping it will make you feel better you idiots

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
But how do I fill the void that is my existence?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

starkebn posted:

stop spending money hoping it will make you feel better you idiots

But it does for a little while. Then the ennui returns and the cycle repeats.

Helios Grime posted:

According to thread title, masturbation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Helios Grime posted:

you don't, you learn that life is pain and go the rest of your days a bitter husk