Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

I know

I know, I know, I know, I know, I know!!!!

On the bright side, at least that makes it easy to know which characters you'll like or dislike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's the best home version of Bust A Move/Puzzle Bobble?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kirby's avalanche

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Most likely just playing your favorite entry in MAME but I'm not a puzzle bobble expert

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

chumbler posted:

You can just say you like it.

But I really honestly don't like fanservice.

I don't know why I keep liking these things, I really don't.

Monster musume, rosario + vampire, the swimsuit butt anime, and now this.

Though it isn't all. I really don't like kill-la-kill or queen's blade or senran kagura or valkyrie drive so I don't know what it is except that maybe I just find monster girls and not-human-things kinda cool or maybe I just like when they're really cool and strong and they seem determined and I'm a sucker for women who can be just fine on their own and don't need a man and don't need to obey the rules and I'm also a sucker for those same women being very sentimental. Stuff like Kurumu being so happy when she makes cookies for Tsukune in rosario + vampire, or Cerea in monster musume just wanting to hold Kimihito's hand when she won the chance to go do stuff with him, or Carrera deciding not to take that weirdo guy's soul because she decided she thought he was adorable and ended up coming up with a poo poo excuse to not take his soul. I like that stuff I guess.

CJacobs posted:

On the bright side, at least that makes it easy to know which characters you'll like or dislike.

I like all of them!!

Except the one that was leaning on and being too flirtatious with the one girl because I hate that type in anime because I've been on the receiving end of that in real life from both men and women and it makes me uncomfortable.

My favorite is the one with the eye mask named El Condor Pasa who is described as having a heavy English accent.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

If you're gonna play it on real hardware, probably the Dreamcast version of 4, looks the best + has a real good soundtrack also. Not really a series that changed dramatically from game to game though, I usually just load up the Neo Geo version of 1 or 2 tbh

oddium posted:

kirby's avalanche
That's Puyo Puyo :whitewater:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Panel De Pon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I possibly should have just asked if the DS version is any good because that's about the only one I can play without busting out old hardware.
No pun intended.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, you're right. I know you are, I just wished we could try to get beyond that. :(
Don't get me wrong, your idea comes from the right place and your positive attitude and unwithering belief in people is very valuable in this place. While I'm no pesimist myself I sometimes have to call things for what they are and we've both seen too much evidence of how unintrospective and misguided some people can be for that thread to work.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

corn in the bible posted:

tales of berseria is good though
I bought Berseria on sale back in like January, and I'm really excited to play it, but I've come to terms with the fact that in all actuality I'm all but certain to not get around to it until 2018. I really want to finish Persona 5 and BOTW and even that's not a guarantee that I'll be able to finish both before the end of the yet given all the other games that are coming out or have come out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
WORDS

CJacobs posted:

Well, yes, that doesn't suddenly make the game good, but I'd take an honest bad game over a dishonest one any day.
Pages back, but this argument, word for word except about politics instead of games, is the reasoning a friend of mine gave for voting democrat instead of republican. :v:

Endorph posted:

but i believe big tits are something that people from all walks of life and all genders can enjoy and want to put into a video game. god bless the human soul.
endorph, I feel like we have made a connection here, with this true and factual statement Contradiction is incredible and it's even better that everyone involved loving loved doing it, and Giant Bomb did an impromptu full playthrough that apparently made their sales numbers absolutely skyrocket.

the Best of Giant Bomb guy made an episode that has a lot of highlights from the Contradiction LP and it's great. I think they're working on a sequel but I don't know if they can capture the sheer MAGIC that was the first one, it feels like lightning in a bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTgJynz9GuU&hd=1

Then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqnFq3b3d0I

and this too :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5R20vVpA5I

Guy Mann posted:

Remember that time Penny Arcade tried to make an episodic work of fiction based on a steampunk version of the 1920s full of robots? You know, the one that somehow managed to rope in a relatively experienced and beloved genre fixture yet still bombed and was effectively cancelled after two episodes?

Well, it's happening again. In TV form.
Unlike much of PA's output in the last decade or so, Automata never seemed like a bad idea. I liked the style of the robot guy too. Pity that the creator's a total hateful shitbag.

Sakurazuka posted:

The Centaurs Life manga is genuinely good so hopefully the anime will be too, it's basically what happens if you cross a typical slice of life show with monster girls plus every conspiracy theory ever and also Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The 70's one.
wait wait wait, they're making A Centaur's Life anime?! I remember reading that a while ago, ended around the part where she gets sucked through a portal into medieval times in our world and is weirded out by the "freaks"(humans) who don't have horns, wings, tails, centaur bodies, etc. I remember it being surprisingly good and would arbitrarily swing into twilight zone chapters out of nowhere.

I really liked how it took a purely real-world stance on the various races, like how it was forbidden to ride a centaur's horse-part because centuries ago centaurs were enslaved and napoleon convinced them to throw off their oppressors, and decreed that no stranger may ride upon the back of a centaur, so it's against the law unless they explicitly allow it.

Snak posted:

Oh my god I said I watched some anime on the internet, what have I done!?!??!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtz2ZhKxFE&hd=1

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey, just a reminder to everybody that I'm hoping you're all gonna have a good day. It's early Wednesday morning for me at the moment, I'm gonna try to sleep here soon, but I think it's important for people to know that some jackhole in pennsylvania is hoping that you're able to weather the bad and enjoy the good of today and those that follow.

Stay gold, people. Stay gold.
I got confirmed for a new full time job a week and a half ago and they still have not told me when I start, what my schedule is, where I'm working, or what I'll be doing. It's great!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

homeless snail posted:

That's Puyo Puyo :whitewater:

oh sorry i was thinking of wario's woods

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oddium posted:

wario's woods

rosalina, daisy, dry bones

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TJ the water tiger passed away. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7XqtbfOugY&t=60s

He was the happiest tiger I've ever seen.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Dry Bones is a good Koopa Troopa who always gets depressed when he searches his name on Facebook and sees people liking a horrible comic.

Edit ^^^RIP Big Cat TJ.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I possibly should have just asked if the DS version is any good because that's about the only one I can play without busting out old hardware.
No pun intended.
They're fine I guess IDK, Space Bust a Move on original DS is probably the best recent game unless I'm forgetting one. The last one that came out on 3DS was Bad though, in all the ways a Bust a Move game can be bad. Terrible graphics, bad soundtrack, tiny number of levels

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't even understand how you can gently caress up a Puzzle Bobble game, short of being one of those horrible King mobile games.

I'm mostly glad that we were collectively able to eventually stop associating the gameplay concept with loving Snood.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
E3 Critics Awards:

quote:

Best of Show
Super Mario Odyssey
(Nintendo for Nintendo Switch)

Best Original Game
Mario + Rabbids Battle Kingdom
(Ubisoft Paris/Ubisoft Milan/Ubisoft for Nintendo Switch)

Best Console Game
Super Mario Odyssey

Best VR Game
Lone Echo
(Ready at Dawn/Oculus Studios for PC)

Best PC Game
Destiny 2
(Bungie/Activision)

Best Handheld Game
Metroid: Samus Returns
(MercurySteam/Nintendo for Nintendo 3DS)

Best Hardware/Peripheral
Xbox One X
(Microsoft)

Best Action Game
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
(Machine Games/Bethesda for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Best Action/Adventure Game
Super Mario Odyssey

Best Role Playing Game
Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
(Level 5/Bandai Namco Entertainment for PC, PS4)

Best Racing Game
Forza Motorsport 7
(Turn 10/Microsoft Studios for PC, Xbox One)

Best Fighting Game
Dragon Ball FighterZ
(Arc System Works/Bandai Namco Entertainment for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Best Sports Game
FIFA 18
(EA Canada/EA for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Best Strategy Game
Mario + Rabbids Battle Kingdom
(Ubisoft Paris/Ubisoft Milan/Ubisoft for Nintendo Switch)

Best Family Game
Hidden Agenda
(Supermassive Games/Sony Interactive Ent for PS4)

Best Online Multiplayer
Star Wars Battlefront II
(EA DICE/Motive/Criterion/Electronic Arts for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Best Independent Game
The Artful Escape
(Beethoven & Dinosaur/Annapurna Interactive for PC, Xbox One)

Capcom calling up Namco right now going "You can't take Best Fighter from us, that's illegal. Do you know how much we've spent on Infinite?"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Why is the new super-cutesy moe blob wonder boy remake harder than the SMS original lol.

You talking about The Dragon's Trap or the other one?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phantasium posted:

You talking about The Dragon's Trap or the other one?

Nah I mean the original proper wonder boy, before the series got its rights split and became a series about medieval knights and the awful adventure island series. I had Wonder Boy on my SMS when I was a little kid, and it was like the only good game I had for years. I mastered the h*ck out of that game, and was able to clear it again just 2 years ago. This new one where your cave-girlfriend is Hatsune Miku is actually tougher than the original game. It's not like crazy hard or anything, but the level design is a lot less forgiving, and the controls are just floaty enough that it's easy to mess up. They also added a lot more instant-reaction bullshit, specifically in the boss fights.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

E3 Critics Awards:

Capcom calling up Namco right now going "You can't take Best Fighter from us, that's illegal. Do you know how much we've spent on Infinite?"

It doesn't seem like they've spent that much

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Holy lol the sidequest in Yakuza 0 where Kiryu teaches a dominatrix how to be abusive to her clients in a park and then 3 little kids come up to ask what's up and he uses the situation as learning opportunity :wtc:.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Nah I mean the original proper wonder boy, before the series got its rights split and became a series about medieval knights and the awful adventure island series. I had Wonder Boy on my SMS when I was a little kid, and it was like the only good game I had for years. I mastered the h*ck out of that game, and was able to clear it again just 2 years ago. This new one where your cave-girlfriend is Hatsune Miku is actually tougher than the original game. It's not like crazy hard or anything, but the level design is a lot less forgiving, and the controls are just floaty enough that it's easy to mess up. They also added a lot more instant-reaction bullshit, specifically in the boss fights.

Yeah fish like to fly at you without a chance to react.

It was basically perfect for me though, considering my experience was with Adventure Island and that game is a far bigger shitbag about it's difficulty.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

E3 Critics Awards:

theyve spent 4 dollarts on it

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Viewtiful Jew posted:

E3 Critics Awards:

if only we could go back in time to 2005 and warn them about spore

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phantasium posted:

Yeah fish like to fly at you without a chance to react.

It was basically perfect for me though, considering my experience was with Adventure Island and that game is a far bigger shitbag about it's difficulty.

I wanted to play a graphically updated version of my childhood classic. :( They even kinda messed up the music by making it more ambient and leaning less on the melody. And the boss stages don't sound nearly as creepy anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv11bhlymz4&t=108s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv11bhlymz4&t=193s

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Marvel Infinite looked embarrassingly bad at E3 and was totally owned in every single way by the DBZ reveal, so much so that everybody who says anything good about it has to qualify their statement with "not a shill, but"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

List of good things about MVC Infinite:

- Ultron and Sigma teaming up and merging makes perfect sense with their characters.

That's it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Between BioShock Infinite and now Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite I think it's time we stop using "Infinite" in titles for a while. It seems to signify bad games.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Palpek posted:

Holy lol the sidequest in Yakuza 0 where Kiryu teaches a dominatrix how to be abusive to her clients in a park and then 3 little kids come up to ask what's up and he uses the situation as learning opportunity :wtc:.

Yakuzo 0 is the :allears:-est game of this generation.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The demo for MvCI, while far from being the worst thing, was so meh that rather than encouraging me to but it, it just encouraged me to wait until the complete version of the game is down to $10

The unfortunate thing is that's the reason no one releases demos anymore.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Developers release demos all the time, only now they're called "open betas."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Demos are becoming a thing again and it's put me off buying a bunch of games lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

Developers release demos all the time, only now they're called "open betas."

Open betas are like demos except the developer expects you to bug test their game for free, which I am definitely not going to do

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

gdq is sunday.... "the Christmas in July" :peanut:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Still annoyed that I never got a response back about why max payne 3 was declined, so I have no idea what to improve upon for resubmitting it for agdq, so I probably won't

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Give me the breath of fire character in your fighting game capcom.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CJacobs posted:

Still annoyed that I never got a response back about why max payne 3 was declined, so I have no idea what to improve upon for resubmitting it for agdq, so I probably won't

Hours of unskippable cutscenes?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got to the last boss of Wild Arms 2 and Im probably never going to beat it, sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I did the new york minute hardcore thing and I think it's maybe an hour of cutscenes total that you can't skip (maybe even less, it's been a long time since I played it)

e: ok i was way off

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 28, 2017

• Locked thread