Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the problem is that... people think it left people uninsured? which it did? that sentence makes no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Karl Barks posted:

confused as to what the problem here is

descent freespace is the highest form of patriotic

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Karl Barks posted:

If anything, it's kind of a misleading headline.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Karl Barks posted:

that sentence makes no sense

neither did the Obama presidency

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

obama basically had two choices when it came to the ACA and his legacy: either push it as a stepping stone to actual good health policy and thus have a legacy of building to that; or try to continue to push the ACA as a good program that works for everyone and is the best and just repeat that a bunch until everyone goes "sure".

unsurprisingly, he picked the largely selfish option because he wanted a bigger legacy than just "paved the way for single-payer".

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Oh Snapple! posted:

obama basically had two choices when it came to the ACA and his legacy: either push it as a stepping stone to actual good health policy and thus have a legacy of building to that; or try to continue to push the ACA as a good program that works for everyone and is the best and just repeat that a bunch until everyone goes "sure".

unsurprisingly, he picked the largely selfish option because he wanted a bigger legacy than just "paved the way for single-payer".

he was probably expecting it to be like DADT where it was a stepping stone to something good but it had to last like 20 years before that good thing came along

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Wasn't it the lowest turnout election for a long time? Or just real bad

nah, not really. it's more that the last couple elections had unusually high turnout. 2004 turnout was way higher than 2000, and 2008 turnout was the highest in decades. numbers vary wildly for some reason but 2016 turnout probably turned out at about the same level as 2013

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Karl Barks posted:

the problem is that... people think it left people uninsured? which it did? that sentence makes no sense

look in order to cover everyone he would have had to ask for a tax increase on his billionaire friends, and that would be very rude to them

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's also funny because I distinctly remember all the blue dogs running as far away from the ACA as possible in the midterms after it passed.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
that last paragraph. lol.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
or i should say, if it happened to become a stepping stone to something people other than him thought was good

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

looks like he's just saying it as a way to reframe the popularity numbers

kind of a "sure, it polls incredibly badly, but not everyone hates it from the right. some people hate it from the left and therefore don't support the right-wing effort to repeal" thing

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's amazing how Democrats have a 10 vote handicap in the senate. Seems a little unfair to me that any good progressive policies need a supermajority, whereas repubs can destroy the country with a simple majority

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its cool that a former democratic presidemt wants to fight universal healthcare because it would spoil his legacy to be one-upped like that

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

its cool that a former democratic presidemt wants to fight universal healthcare because it would spoil his legacy to be one-upped like that

have a great fate

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terror Sweat posted:

It's amazing how Democrats have a 10 vote handicap in the senate. Seems a little unfair to me that any good progressive policies need a supermajority, whereas repubs can destroy the country with a simple majority

yes, that's actually part of the problem: there is an institutional buyers towards conservative policy

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Al! posted:

the funniest thing is that the ppaca seemed like it was specifically designed to heighten the contradictions in the private insurance system and bring about a single payer system as soon as possible

like you really could not have designed a better catalyst since its probably the best thing you can get short of single payer and its still dogshit while the ONLY other option is murdering millions

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Al! posted:

It seems like Obama's career is a parade of trying to create and preserve a legacy causing what destroys it

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It seems like Obama's career is a parade of trying to create and preserve a legacy causing what destroys it

he deserves it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mormonpartyboat posted:

the funniest thing is that the ppaca seemed like it was specifically designed to heighten the contradictions in the private insurance system and bring about a single payer system as soon as possible

like you really could not have designed a better catalyst since its probably the best thing you can get short of single payer and its still dogshit while the ONLY other option is murdering millions

yeah the aca is basically single payer accelerationism except accelerationism doesnt really work so people have voted to kill millions (as long as they dont know any of those millions (they do (some of them are going to die too)))

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Re ~ election thread

After posting like 20 times a day for years, this was the last D&D post computer parts ever made.

:rip:

i still wonder why folks like him and obdicut just completely disappeared after election night

like im thankful for it but it was weird as hell.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

obama is king lear

i guess that would make bernie cordelia

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

i still wonder why folks like him and obdicut just completely disappeared after election night

because they'd have to eat crow and they're cowards

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Al! posted:

obama is king lear

i guess that would make bernie cordelia

please do not reference known enemy of the state william spear shaker

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I prefer to think that Obdicut is just writing a massive post in which he reminds us no less than 3.8 trillion times that he works in public health and it's just taking this long to type.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

CTR stopped cutting checks for their online troll army

Luckily the Russians didn't so reddit, twitter, and facebook still remain shitholes

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/obdicut

lol is this actually obdicut

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

obama is the "my DMs are open" guy

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

apparently obdicut is an actual word

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

because they'd have to eat crow and they're cowards

see i considered this but someone wouldn't actually completely stop going to an entire forum because they were wrong (and spent like a year being so) in one subforum, right?

...right?

docbeard posted:

I prefer to think that Obdicut is just writing a massive post in which he reminds us no less than 3.8 trillion times that he works in public health and it's just taking this long to type.

obdicut was for real my favorite person. he was an expert on literally everything; including knowing more about the intricacies of interpretation than someone who actually worked as an interpreter (because he translated documents, you see).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

obamacare feels like it was perfectly crafted to continually heighten its own contradictoons and inevitably collapse in ten years because it was a product of a naive and incorrect hope that the market could play a role in a sustainable and fair health care system. it was doomed from the start, no matter the specifics

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

does obdicut still post on other parts of SA? someone who can look at his post history go check

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

obdicut was like a less funny fishmech

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Shear Modulus posted:

does obdicut still post on other parts of SA? someone who can look at his post history go check

their last post:

Obdicut posted:

What Genghis Khan song?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dems are a gently caress

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

i just checked and no.

also i rediscovered the proclinton thread that i renamed "historically bad candidate who gave america to idiot fascism: the thread," good memories

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

yeah, unlike the Democrats, the Republicans don't have to worry about ideologically-impure defectors potentially torpedoing their major health legislation or single-handedly demanding large changes that make it significantly worse. there's just no way they'll ever have a slim majority upset by a couple of defectors

of course, the difference is that conservative superPACs are already airing attack ads against GOP senators who've said they won't vote for AHCA

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Frijolero posted:

Dems are a gently caress

kill 'em all 2016
410,757,864,530 dead due to lack of healthcare

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

propublica got its hands on internal Facebook moderation guidelines and it is wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

their last post:

that's a week before the election

I am flabbergasted

• Locked thread