Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

Didn't that Anakin kid get picked over a way more competent one? If they have a "look", I guess everything else is sacrificed to get it.

He was blowing the director

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

JFairfax posted:

He was blowing the director

If I remember the story, Lucas wanted Jake Loyd, but everyone else saw how bad of an actor he was and wanted the other kid who had some actual acting chops.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Hail, Caesar is one of the weakest Coen films, but that in no way means it's bad.

Totally. I had avoided it because people said "oh it's bad, it sucks!" Then watched it and found it to be very entertaining. I love their shaggy dog stories.

Moral is: people have dumb opinions about excellent filmmakers.

Gawd just thinking about the Coen's filmography.. It's so drat good all the way through.

My favourite lesser Coen film is A Serious Man.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Hail Caesar should have been called Inside Baseball

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

JB50 posted:

If I remember the story, Lucas wanted Jake Loyd, but everyone else saw how bad of an actor he was and wanted the other kid who had some actual acting chops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZSnB7yGylc

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The only thing I'm up in arms about with these Transfivers videos is wHAT THE gently caress IS THE VOICE WHISPERING TO COLIN SAYING I NEED TO KNOW

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Rlm did not do nearly enough contrasting what Lucas claimed he wanted and what we actually got.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Man, they really need to make a Darth Vader movie before James Earl Jones dies

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

sorry but have people just completely forgotten how to embed youtube videos and imgur pictures? kinda weird seeing links to youtube and imgur everywhere like this is 2009.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Even better I never even learned take that Dr Freud.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

FuturePastNow posted:

Man, they really need to make a Darth Vader movie before James Earl Jones dies

Death holds no release.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I wish people had got more offended about this (like riots) so that we could just agree to never bring back a non murdered celebrity with computers again.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Holy poo poo 3 years around the world in a hot air balloon and they ended up with Jake Lloyd, holy poo poo.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

Holy poo poo 3 years around the world in a hot air balloon and they ended up with Jake Lloyd, holy poo poo.

See right here a whole Shakespearean tragedy could be written about this event.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
But he was so poo poo it felt genuine you see

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

reignofevil posted:

Rlm did not do nearly enough contrasting what Lucas claimed he wanted and what we actually got.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

sorry but have people just completely forgotten how to embed youtube videos and imgur pictures? kinda weird seeing links to youtube and imgur everywhere like this is 2009.

I think the link parsing broke, I've had to add video tags manually because it keeps defaulting to url. Radium's code is finally falling apart.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Paladinus posted:

What the hell is wrong with you that you didn't enjoy the camp song with gay sailors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVQ0JFzXMgY

This is great, you idiot.

i didn't enjoy hail ceasar that much but i think it was more due to me not being into golden era hollywood rather than the movie itself being poo poo. did like the joke that the screenwriters were all under payed and so became communists tho

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

lmao reese from malcolm in the middle could've been anakin

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Whorelord posted:

i didn't enjoy hail ceasar that much but i think it was more due to me not being into golden era hollywood rather than the movie itself being poo poo. did like the joke that the screenwriters were all under payed and so became communists tho

It's not a joke. This has actually happened.
This is partly why Hollywood's so 'left' today.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Paladinus posted:

It's not a joke. This has actually happened.
This is partly why Hollywood's so 'left' today.

so joe mcarthy did nothing wrong?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Paladinus posted:

What the hell is wrong with you that you didn't enjoy the camp song with gay sailors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVQ0JFzXMgY

This is great, you idiot.

i'm not a flaming homo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

JB50 posted:

A comment I made before a while back was that prior to TPM, Jake Lloyd did have some acting credits up to that point on a few different TV/movie productions, which the other candidates might have been lacking.

An episode of ER, The Pretender and Jingle All the Way, right?

In something like a Star Wars level project, Lucas might have wanted the extra reassurance that the kid maybe had good references from those jobs for showing up, doing what he was told and not screwing up.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Schweinhund posted:

i'm not a flaming homo

not a flaming homo. read you loud and clear, boss. ;)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hot take, I don't think Jake Lloyd did anything wrong

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I noticed one of the comments saying what I was thinking: Jake was the only one fiddling with objects while doing his lines. The older, blonde boy sounded the best, but he, as the rest, were still just spouting their lines.

Not that this excuses the movie, but it's an observation.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

hot take, I don't think Jake Lloyd did anything wrong

Lucas coulnd't even get a decent performance out of Liam Neeson or Ewan McGregor, Jake Lloyd didn't stand a chance.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Krowley posted:

Lucas coulnd't even get a decent performance out of Liam Neeson or Ewan McGregor, Jake Lloyd didn't stand a chance.

You didn't like McGregor's performance?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Natalie Portman gave probably a better performance in the prequels than Thor 2.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Before the prequels I didn't know Samuel L Jackson was capable of being boring.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

Is there any role in the prequels he would have been better suited for? I mean, would a Darth Maul or Count Dooku played by Jackson have been better?

Actually, now that I mention it, Jackson doing Dooku could be sort of fascinating. He's allowed to be more emotional than the other Jedi because he's stepped away from them and he's also seen the truth of living in a galaxy where they're all getting their strings pulled but he's the only one who knows there's a puppeteer behind it all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bitterandtwisted posted:

He got a purple thingie and lived a dream in a brown robe. That's all that matters IMO.

Even in boring mode he was still by far one of the best things in those terrible movies.

Mind you he was amazing in Kingsman: Secret Service. Stole every scene.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can't save any of the Jedi characters in the prequels when Lucas's version of the Order is completely awful and dull.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The prequels are so weird. Like the jedi are supposed to be dull, queen amidala is supposed to act cold and emotionless but it makes such a lovely/bizarre viewing experience.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is there any role in the prequels he would have been better suited for?

Hood JarJar

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Dubs posted:

Hood JarJar

Jar Jar is by far the most energetic character in the prequels, which means he'd be great for Samuel L Jackson. But Jackson probably wouldn't be cool with doing the Brer Rabbit voice.

Compromise: Hire Chris Rock to do Jar Jar

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
MISA FLOBBIN LOVA STAR WAR!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DancingShade posted:

He got a purple thingie and lived a dream in a brown robe. That's all that matters IMO.

Even in boring mode he was still by far one of the best things in those terrible movies.

Mind you he was amazing in Kingsman: Secret Service. Stole every scene.

I didn't like him much in Kingsman, just felt like he was doing an obnoxious Spike Lee impression for some reason.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
With the movies we got Jackson probably should have played Obi wan.

Ya it makes no sense with the original trilogy but just picture any given thing obi wan did and then picture Samuel l Jackson doing it.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yes the younglings deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!!

• Locked thread