Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Feenix posted:

Probably going to be several days before Elite Dangerous PS4 gets a review as Rev. Copies didn't go out until such time as the servers went live. I still can't decide if this is the game for me or not. I get that you do everything manually. Docking, flying, not running into docking bays, etc... but I just can't tell if it is PUNISHINGLY simmy and difficult, or Simmy but super fun and good-feeling to fly and fight.

how's the performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The main annoying bit to Elite Dangerous is that it's extremely grindy. It's a single player space game game effectively but the pacing when it comes to making money and buying upgrades is more like a Korean MMO. It's incredibly frustrating.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
After spending another 3 hours last night on Horizon it is for sure my GOTY. I'd be surprised if there was something I play before 2018 that beats it!

I discovered some metal flowers, a cool vantage point into the past and cleared a corrupted zone. I'm just pootling about near the embrace gates doing sidequests and errands and I love it! :D

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VideoGames posted:

After spending another 3 hours last night on Horizon it is for sure my GOTY. I'd be surprised if there was something I play before 2018 that beats it!

I discovered some metal flowers, a cool vantage point into the past and cleared a corrupted zone. I'm just pootling about near the embrace gates doing sidequests and errands and I love it! :D

I'd really suggest you beeline for Meridian then break off and wander about. It's your main hub for everything collection-based, along with general shopping.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I wish HZD and Breath of the Wild could have a baby and make the perfect open world game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fix posted:

I wish HZD and Breath of the Wild could have a baby and make the perfect open world game.

The baby would be inbred, it would end up as a cover based shooter or something

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aloy's Crossbow Training.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Fix posted:

Will not that just be Dragon Dogma in the Destiny universe?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

haveblue posted:

What's the typical delay on the Horizon platinum theme? I got the trophy about 18 hours ago but no email yet. It looks like if it never shows up I can contact support and prove I got it for a code, so at what point should I give up and do that?

I haven't even played Horizon, and i got an email today congratulating me on my plat in it, so the average delay seems to be minus one or two years

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just realized I have God of War collection (1 & 2 ) for the vita. Thought that included 3.

Any reason not to pick up God of War 3 and Ratchet and Clank for ps4?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Assuming God of War gameplay hasn't aged horribly for you then nope. 3 would be a lot better if you could skip cutscenes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not God of War's gameplay that has aged so much as its insufferable "this is the new poo poo" early 2000s machismo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

It's not God of War's gameplay that has aged so much as its insufferable "this is the new poo poo" early 2000s machismo.

Doesn't God of War 3 basically go "You wanna see edgy poo poo? I will show you edgy poo poo :emo: for its entire run?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BisterdDave posted:

I have my reasons why I enjoy trophies, none of which are for online bragging rights. I couldn't care less if anyone looked at my list.

My favorite use of trophies is for PS+ games, where I stop after the first trophy and see how garbage the game is at that point.

This occasionally backfires when the trophies are like echochrome's, where you have to beat multiple levels at minimum, but echochrome's also cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doesn't God of War 3 basically go "You wanna see edgy poo poo? I will show you edgy poo poo :emo: for its entire run?

Only the first 3/4, then it wants you to believe in Kratos' redemption arc.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

It was out of date even then, really.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
God of War 3 has a dumb edgelord story and hilariously unearned attempt to redeem Kratos but the gameplay is still fun and the setpiece battles are still incredible. That opening sequence/first boss fight is still nuts.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I beat Horizon a couple days ago and it definitely grew on me as it went on, the story especially was really cool although I saw some of the beats coming. BotW, N:A and P5 still outrank it this year imo but it was a really solid game

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Even early on Kratos was over the top stupid as a character.

*Kratos curses the gods, kills thousands upon thousands of innocents sacking a city that happens to not exclusively worship him*

Zeus: "knock this poo poo off you douchebag. I just stole your power back that I gave you."

Kratos: "Why? WHY HAVE YOU BETRAYED ME?"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The God of War series shows the problem with changing directors each game. GoW 1 had Kratos be a huge rear end in a top hat, but they backed it up with a horrific past and made him at least slightly redeemable. GoW2 said gently caress it and made Kratos an irredeemable rear end in a top hat who barely even knew why he was doing anything anymore. GoW3 then tried to redeem him while keeping up what he became in GoW2 and it just didn't work at all.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

glam rock hamhock posted:

The God of War series shows the problem with changing directors each game. GoW 1 had Kratos be a huge rear end in a top hat, but they backed it up with a horrific past and made him at least slightly redeemable. GoW2 said gently caress it and made Kratos an irredeemable rear end in a top hat who barely even knew why he was doing anything anymore. GoW3 then tried to redeem him while keeping up what he became in GoW2 and it just didn't work at all.

Then the PSP prequels gave him every reason to hate the gods, and made him a tragic figure. I think most of it works- the gods are huge tools and Kratos gets a genuinely rough deal, but he's also an irredeemable rear end in a top hat himself. It's the redemption arc in 3 that doesn't work on any level.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

Then the PSP prequels gave him every reason to hate the gods, and made him a tragic figure. I think most of it works- the gods are huge tools and Kratos gets a genuinely rough deal, but he's also an irredeemable rear end in a top hat himself. It's the redemption arc in 3 that doesn't work on any level.

He has a reason to hate the gods but that doesn't justify him getting his jollies from slaughtering human cities for shits and giggles.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I wish Dreadnought would open up and get more people playing. It's a fairly fun game if you don't mind the War Thunder-like progression system.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Any of you guys have a pro and a x900e? I just got a x900e and can't get my PS4 to show up in enhanced mode. I get a no input found error. Anyone know how to fix?

Do you have it on the right input? Not sure of the setup on the X900E, but I have the X900D and it has to be plugged into HDMI 2 or 3. Then you need to go into Settings and Input and set it to Enhanced HDMI there. Also make sure you are connected with an HDMI cable that supports it (the Pro came with one). Then on the PS4 check the video output settings are set to Automatic, and under Video Output Information it should show 4k 60Hz 2160p HDR etc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also that awful bit in 3 that's probably one of the most disgusting things a videogame has made me do. They took the trophy you got for it out of the PS4 version lol.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
GoW was a good self-contained story with consistent characterization and a beginning, middle, and end that paralleled the Greek myths it was based on. But since a sequel was mandatory, they had to break it back open for 2, and it only went downhill from there.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Also that awful bit in 3 that's probably one of the most disgusting things a videogame has made me do. They took the trophy you got for it out of the PS4 version lol.

for us not in the "know" what is it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where you use the half naked screaming woman to prop open a switch which crushes her to death as a result.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When you do that, the camera pans away from it, as though even the developers and the game itself were ashamed.

Ten minutes after a lovingly detailed closeup shot of Hercules' face getting punched concave, too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Where you use the half naked screaming woman to prop open a switch which crushes her to death as a result.

What the gently caress? Who seriously thought that was a good idea?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

haveblue posted:

Ten minutes after a lovingly detailed closeup shot of Hercules' face getting punched concave, too.

The funniest thing is that sequence is taken directly from a movie called Irreversible which is about how hosed up and life ruining violence is

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hunt11 posted:

GoW doesn't push the status of female characters in video games forward in any other way so I am not the least bit surprised.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hunt11 posted:

Who knows, but in the PS3 version you get a trophy for doing it (even though it's required to progress) called "I didn't do it... but I wish I did!" It's probably the most juvenile moment of a pretty juvenile game series. They took the trophy out of the PS4 version. I like the GoW games but they're dumb as hell

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The God of War brand is terrible and Sony trying to rebrand the series with a "serious tale of father and son" is just as unconvincing and shallow as a rich kid shithead conveniently having a "come to Jesus" moment just in time to mount a conservative run for political office on a "family values" platform

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I remember God of War 3 having an impressive opening. And then going. Wait we can't have you here yet. Back to the start you go.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In God of W4r Kratos enters a 12-step program and travels the world apologizing to all the people he's wronged. Wiggle the right thumb stick to wipe tears from face. Press square to swallow lump in throat.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, from what I've seen of Dad of War, it seems like they're doing a good job having it mesh with the old games while also creating something less needlessly edgy.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So I bought Ratchet and Clank and Resogun last night for a total of like $11 and change, and apparently since I bought Journey on the PS3 I get a PS4 copy for free? Sweet! Man, this whole PS4 experience so far has been nothing but winning.

Edit: also beat HZD a couple nights ago, and now I'm the last two hunting grounds away from platting it. What a great game. I really like the way they drove home the absolute horror of what caused the apocalypse. I will say that I thought that hades was going to be HaTiS, the Hartz-Timor Swarm which was the one that went rogue, not an actual extinction protocol subsystem of Zero Dawn. But that had basically no impact on the narrative, and I think what they wound up going with was actually better.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 28, 2017

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

For everyone who didn't receive their plat themes for Horizon:

Make sure you are set to receive promotional emails from Playstation in your account. This is also applicable for the discounts they send out randomly.
If you do not have the promo option toggled, toggle it for the future, take a screenshot of your plat trophy preferably with your username somewhere in the screenshot, and then contact support and send it to them.

Unrelated: what's the best and cheapest way to get a PS3 nowadays? I may default to Gamestop since they have refurbed units. These sales are very good for the PS3/collection purposes, even if I prefer physical copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really liked the combat and world of getting to fight mythological gods in God of War, but I still can't really stand the violence aspect. It goes from necessary and satisfying to way too gratuitous and over the top.

Also the horrible trophy in question was named "Bros before hoes"

https://www.destructoid.com/the-controversial-god-of-war-bros-before-hos-trophy-248378.phtml