Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
while you were partying, i studied the blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Playing around with Samurai I'm a little surprised that they identified ahead of time a potential problem with Samurai's kit (Gekko/Kasha are for all intents and purposes the same skill aside from giving you different Sen) and solved it by giving them Kenki bonuses based on position, when the exact same issue exists with Red Mage (Veraero/Verthunder are essentially the same skill, you just use whatever you haven't used yet to fill up your job meter) without an according bonus to help differentiate them.

Jinpu and Shifu also are essentially the same, but that the two buffs do different things helps make the decision about which to prioritize based on how the fight is progressing more interesting.

To a certain degree, I do think this is a matter of perspective, even though I'm still pretty critical of Red Mage. With Red Mage, you prioritize the spell you cast based on which type of mana you need; with something like Bard or Monk, you prioritize based on whether you need to refresh a buff on yourself or refresh a DoT/debuff on the enemy. I don't think the two are actually that different--in either case, you're choosing which ability to use based on something that needs to be increased (be it a resource or a buff/DoT timer), it's just that one is a bar and the other is represented in the status effects list. Like, to use Bard as an example: I don't think the difference between Heavy Shot and Straight Shot is inherently all that interesting just because one has slightly lower potency and gives a buff. That's doubly true now that Refulgent Arrow is there to use your Straighter Shot procs for something stronger than a critical Straight Shot. They're still not quite as samey as Veraero/Verthunder, but they're not super cool unique abilities, either. (Black Mage, I think, is still the gold standard for having a suite of unique spells that all have specific uses and never go out of style, except maybe Fire II in the 4.0 AoE rotation. Well, and Blizzard II.)

The reason I think Samurai is so well-designed is because it does both. Yes, you have two buffs you need to maintain on yourself, and you also cycle through your combos to give you your three sen, but the key thing is that by doing one of those things, you also do the other. If you're doing your single-target combos to get all three sen, you're also refreshing your buffs, and you don't have to think of them as separate things. I think that's why Samurai feels so tightly-designed, and I hope they strive for that as they refine all the other jobs further. It's not that Samurai is made straightforward by that tight design, either--it just makes it smooth.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 28, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

sword_man.gif posted:

This is an amazing post/username combo.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Thumbtacks posted:

hi i have an MCH question since people seem to know what they're talking about

if reload is down and i'm just spamming my 123 combo with no procs, when Quick Reload comes off CD should I split shot or slug shot? it's only one guaranteedc proc so i'd think slug shot would be smarter since i can clean shot after but i dont know what the right move is, i assume someone knows

As a prerequisite, don't press quick reload at all if you're below 60 heat. This assumes you're level 64 or higher. If not press buttons shoot things whatever.

Heated Split Shot does 190 potency, whereas Heated Slug Shot does 100 with no procs. Split into procced Slug does 330 total. Unprocced slug into procced clean does 370. I'm uncertain, but I believe all three of them cost 50 TP now.

It's not set in stone though. I tend to default to split, but that could be wrong. Obviously the best case scenario is that you use split, and then you win the coin flip on slug, but that's not exactly going to be consistent.

The other thing to consider: is hot shot about to fall off? If you've been doing your rotation well, this probably means reload is about to come up too. In that case, use split shot. The proc on slug shot lasts long enough that it'll still be there after you've reapplied hot shot and reloaded. In general, if reload is about to come up, using split shot will be your best case scenario. This can get slightly sticky before wildfire rotations so there's a bit of a judgement call.

Long story short: it depends.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I enjoy how much flavor is hidden in buff/debuff/DoT descriptions that you won't read unless you mouse over them. For example, I unlocked AST yesterday so that I can heal for my friend who just started when she wants to run dungeons (and because I want to level AST sometime anyway). Combustion's DoT description owns: "Proximity to a theoretical sun is causing damage over time."

Also AST is very cool and their spell effects are really pretty so who needs other healers when I can just make stars happen everywhere.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harrow posted:

I enjoy how much flavor is hidden in buff/debuff/DoT descriptions that you won't read unless you mouse over them. For example, I unlocked AST yesterday so that I can heal for my friend who just started when she wants to run dungeons (and because I want to level AST sometime anyway). Combustion's DoT description owns: "Proximity to a theoretical sun is causing damage over time."

Also AST is very cool and their spell effects are really pretty so who needs other healers when I can just make stars happen everywhere.

AST owns and Jannequinard is my best friend

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/332737-Against-Simultaneous-Logout-Measures

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've decided that I really do not like the changes they made to the AST card system, and the AST card gauge sucks rear end.

Sleeve Draw and the Minor Arcana are cool, but everything else sucks.

You can't remove a spread card. You can't see what cards any other AST has. The gauge overall is just completely unnecessary.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

i knew what this was but it is still great to read.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mordiceius posted:

I've decided that I really do not like the changes they made to the AST card system, and the AST card gauge sucks rear end.

Sleeve Draw and the Minor Arcana are cool, but everything else sucks.

You can't remove a spread card. You can't see what cards any other AST has. The gauge overall is just completely unnecessary.

Source your quotes

Also I'm glad you goobers can't peek at my cards anymore

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Harrow posted:

:yeah: I'm pretty sure that when I get my SMN/SCH up to 70, I'll probably start bouncing between AST and RDM. Magic looks so loving cool in this game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Arist posted:

Source your quotes

Nah. The changes suck. The most annoying, to me, is not being able to remove a spread card. Sleeve draw is cool except when you get a lovely card thrown into your spread slot and then you can't put anything else there to replace it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Nah. The changes suck. The most annoying, to me, is not being able to remove a spread card. Sleeve draw is cool except when you get a lovely card thrown into your spread slot and then you can't put anything else there to replace it.

Can't you just... use it? Admittedly I didn't play AST before the changes, but did clicking off the card buff give you a shorter cooldown on drawing another or something? Or is there some other reason why just using the card to get rid of it is a poor choice?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Source your quotes

Huh? The AST gauge is trash. There's no way anymore to dismiss a held card/royal road effect other than play it. It's unnecessarily irritating, and like the PLD gauge, it just feels like it's there so the job has a gauge.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Can't you just... use it? Admittedly I didn't play AST before the changes, but did clicking off the card buff give you a shorter cooldown on drawing another or something? Or is there some other reason why just using the card to get rid of it is a poor choice?

Because you probably don't want to overwrite something that's already in play?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, the worst-case scenario for Sleeve Draw is, what? Getting a Spear shoved into your spread with AoE or something like that? Just use the loving card when your current one comes off cooldown and overwrite it immediately.

(I'm not a fan of most of the AST changes, I just think a lot of the complaints are kinda overblown)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Because you probably don't want to overwrite something that's already in play?

Ahh, right, I forgot about that part. That would suck, yeah, because then you have to hold on to the card you don't want until the effect you do want has already run its course.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Harrow posted:

You use balance then sleeve draw. You get spire in spread, expanded in royal road, ewer in draw. No one needs any tp or mp. That happened to me the first sleeve draw I did, though most of the time you get something at least marginally useful.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

it just feels like it's there so the job has a gauge

That's kinda like whm, I'm just happy I have a branch with flowers on my screen

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Huh? The AST gauge is trash. There's no way anymore to dismiss a held card/royal road effect other than play it. It's unnecessarily irritating, and like the PLD gauge, it just feels like it's there so the job has a gauge.

I agree the PLD gauge is pretty dumb, but it's nice to be able to toss shields on the MT indiscriminately if I'm OT.

I was dicking around last night and certainly don't have the best melds (just a bunch of direct hit for shits and grins) and was pulling off just under 3k for susano ex last night. Felt pretty good. PLD OT in that fight is great because you can passage of arms/divine veil a lot of the stack or aoe attacks without really interrupting your rotation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shy posted:

That's kinda like whm, I'm just happy I have a branch with flowers on my screen

But it lets you have s 60s benediction cd in pvp

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, the AST gauge not only is unnecessary but is actually giving you less control over your abilities than you had previously. Hence why they had to even add the Undraw ability to compensate for these bad changes.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

sword_man.gif posted:

This is incredible :swoon:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Harrow posted:

*expands bole*

I'm helping!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Doing a fate for challenge long, FATE gives 120k. What a piece of crap. It does, however, spawn a Forlorn: the next FATE I clear gives 350k exp and spawns a minor Forlorn. Not bad, even in the context of needing 5 million to level. The next fate gives 150k with the minor forlorn bonus. :nallears:

I've done like three dozen FATEs since SB launched, most of which were during the launch rush and I've seen nobody doing them for the past week. That's the only Forlorn I've seen spawn, tho I've seen the crappy one that gives a tiny bonus 3 or 4 times. What's the loving point if they're so rare?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, the AST gauge not only is unnecessary but is actually giving you less control over your abilities than you had previously. Hence why they had to even add the Undraw ability to compensate for these bad changes.

It sounds like the AST gauge would be good if:

- You could right-click a card on the gauge you get rid of it, just like clicking off a buff.
- You saw other Astrologians' available cards as buffs.

Because it seems like a nice, highly visible way to keep track of your drawn cards and your active Royal Road effect, and the problems seem to come from it hiding information about another AST in your group and giving you less control over what you do with cards you've drawn.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why are people who ostensibly give a gently caress about the game bringing two astrologians

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, I've wanted a way to get rid of a drawn card without Spreading or Royal Roading it since I started AST, but that doesn't seem like what we're complaining about.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Arist posted:

I mean, I've wanted a way to get rid of a drawn card without Spreading or Royal Roading it since I started AST, but that doesn't seem like what we're complaining about.

You've never not been able to get rid of a drawn card?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Arist posted:

you could left-click the card icon previously to get rid of it, same as any other buff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That would have been really great to know :suicide:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm actually concerned that SE is going to pull the rug out from under PVP by nerfing its exp gains. My opinion is probably poisoned by reading the reddit thread on leeching it though. Their ideas range from the ridiculous (losers can kick rocks and get none) to the worrying (k/d/a based. I'm not good at pvp don't punish me for it) to the not bad (winners get x1.25 exp).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
winning should probably net more so that all the people doing pvp for the xp have a reason to ostensibly care, but losing should never give nothing because it's nearly impossible to have enough personal impact to make a losing team win.

otoh, holy poo poo the amount of players who do literally nothing is insane.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'm concerned too but since they spent so much effort improving pvp they probably wouldn't want to do anything drastic. Autokicking idlers would be nice though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The correct move would be to buff other sources of EXP like dungeons. Though that still wouldn't work for DPS at this point (Samurai really should have been a tank class imo). Ultimately though people are going to do whatever is fastest whether it's PvP or PotD or FATE farming and people will think it should change and the current way is boring or whatever. It's probably honestly for the best currently that the best methods of EXP grinding aren't locked behind a queuewall.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah there's basically no reason to do fates at all. I really hope they jumble things up and make it so potd isnt the best ever leveling.

Edit: and the DPS queues are horrible yeah, totally gonna rush my DRK to 70 and make a PF group to charge people for queue skipping. Goons are free tho.

Probably not the best idea putting in 2 really anticipated classes and doing some tank nerf/changes that people might be unhappy with.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Shy posted:

I'm concerned too but since they spent so much effort improving pvp they probably wouldn't want to do anything drastic. Autokicking idlers would be nice though.
It would be nice but many people just auto run into the field.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One thing they really need to do is make the role in need bonus for roulettes actually matter. Apparently the XP you get from it doesn't scale with level at all, so you only get like 50,000 even at level 69.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing they really need to do is make the role in need bonus for roulettes actually matter. Apparently the XP you get from it doesn't scale with level at all, so you only get like 50,000 even at level 69.

how much does this really change though? i've seen dps in need like once in my life and that's the role that's routinely scraping the barrel for xp sources. all that would do would make leveling tanks and sometimes healers easier, which was never a huge issue anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how much does this really change though? i've seen dps in need like once in my life and that's the role that's routinely scraping the barrel for xp sources. all that would do would make leveling tanks and sometimes healers easier, which was never a huge issue anyway.

Ideally it would encourage more people to level tanks and/or healers.

Doubt it would work, but it's in theory an incentive anyway.