Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Standard Multi-Doctor rules apply; The newer ones always forget after the fact, only the youngest one remembers the whole thing.

Don't you mean the oldest? :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Standard Multi-Doctor rules apply; The newer ones always forget after the fact, only the youngest one remembers the whole thing.

I've always loved that bit from Day of the Doctor.

Ten: "How could you not remember this?"
Eleven: "Oh, don't blame me! You're clearly not paying enough attention!"

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Lampsacus posted:

Has the 13th Doctor's name been released?

Doctor Who?

:badumtish:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lampsacus posted:

Has the 13th Doctor's name been released?

Ed Byrne.

About time we had a loving Irish Doctor!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Apparently there's at least two versions of how Delgado becomes meltyface, and in one he regenerates first and in the other he just gets melted.

The original intention was definitely that he was the Delgado Master, trying desperately to cling to life because it was his last regeneration.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

The original intention was definitely that he was the Delgado Master, trying desperately to cling to life because it was his last regeneration.

Yeah, I always took it that way. I only know that the other thing happened at all from the Tardis Data Core entry on The Master (in which I learned that his timeline is the sort of mess that Wookiepiedia would tie itself in knots to resolve, but here is just presented as "It could be either, we dunno").

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I just realised: as the BBC are looking for Tennant 2: Electric Doctorwho, we won't get a "Finally, I'm ginger!" moment and this makes me sad

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I hope that the "BBC wants a new Tennant" is actually a ruse, and that they make the "new Tennant" the new companion and so we can get some interesting casting for the Doctor instead.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That would be nice, but I'd suggest you make the most of your grumpy old man smashing capitalism with his black lesbian friend while you can.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Ed Sheeran should be the Doctor.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 28, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TinTower posted:

Ed Sheehan should be the Doctor.

Or Rupert Grint. Either way he'd finally get to be a ginger.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0OgmBvOGak

You. Had. One. Job. Moffat!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Never been more deadly than this!

All the Cybermen blow up

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Oh good, Moffat's turned into Gregg Wallace.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astroman posted:

Don't you mean the oldest? :eng101:

Nope. It's generally a deviation in their timestream rather than a stable loop (ie; someone's worked to grab them all at once like in Five Doctors), so the only one that'll remember it is the youngest one in the tangent because he's actually experiencing it new. The rest just kinda get their memories massaged back into normality without recalling the incident.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In Day Of The Doctor Hurt and Tennant both forgot it, and Smith remembered.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The youngest would be the one from earliest in the timeline ie War in Day or One in The Three or The Five. The latest guy is the oldest.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm pretty sure oldest remembers is the standard way it works. The same events may be happening at two or three instances of their timeline, but none of it is retained until the oldest version present experiences it. War, nine, and ten all think they killed the time-lords because they don't remember saving them until Eleven does. And Eleven still thinks he's going to die in Trenzalore because he doesn't remember twelve helping save the day.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure oldest remembers is the standard way it works. The same events may be happening at two or three instances of their timeline, but none of it is retained until the oldest version present experiences it. War, nine, and ten all think they killed the time-lords because they don't remember saving them until Eleven does. And Eleven still thinks he's going to die in Trenzalore because he doesn't remember twelve helping save the day.

Oldest remembers what happens after the fact. The reason why Eleven doesn't remember as well was because the Curator was there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Eleven does remember- they discuss that he saved Gallifrey in the next episode, as well as bringing up "captain grumpy". I like to think he remembered the Curator because the Curator was extremely circumspect about what he said to the point that he could plausibly have not actually been the Doctor at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

About time we had a loving Irish Doctor!

Let's split the difference:

TinTower posted:

Ed Sheeran should be the Doctor.

If it stops him making music, sure.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerusalem posted:

Master: Is she.... is she The Rani?
Missy does something competent and actually achieves something
Master: No wait something doesn't add up...

I'd love to see the episode from the Master's perspective. He'd doing his evil scheme and gets an alert that something is going on on bridge. It's the Doctor's TARDIS! Out pops a dashing TimeLady with two gormless companions. Oh ho ho, the Doctor is a woman now! Nice dress. *starts thinking up jokes about how the Doctor has lost his balls* (He was on earth long enough for ball jokes to be funny.) Then when things get interesting out pops a second much more excitable TimeLord! Whaaa?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/880119360567771136

:3:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

(He was on earth long enough for ball jokes to be funny.)

I think you'll find that the most sophisticated cultures admire jokes about nards to be high enough on the ladder of comedy that they are only below fart jokes and mean people falling down.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umsvm1D3skI

...I laughed harder than I should have

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I see this thrown about but is there anything that proves this to be the case?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cargohills posted:

I see this thrown about but is there anything that proves this to be the case?

He pretty well says it. I think the Doctor makes a comment on it too. The Master was on his last regeneration, was mortally wounded, but through sheer hate and malice refused to die. So he became a living corpse.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I just watched the Five-ish Doctors again and it still made me laugh.

"No! I'll never know if I was right...."

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Burkion posted:

He pretty well says it. I think the Doctor makes a comment on it too. The Master was on his last regeneration, was mortally wounded, but through sheer hate and malice refused to die. So he became a living corpse.

I know he's on his last regeneration as Pratt/Beevers but as far as I can tell there's nothing that points to Delgado being the 13th Master too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Plavski posted:

I just realised: as the BBC are looking for Tennant 2: Electric Doctorwho, we won't get a "Finally, I'm ginger!" moment and this makes me sad

One of the favourites on the betting markets is ginger.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I do like that Anthony Stewart Head's name has surprisingly turned up in the running recently. It's almost certainly not him, but it'd be nice.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

This would be acceptable. One could even say it would be noice.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
They've never really been clear on the Master's incarnations;

You've got the child Master from Sound of Drums, then Delgado, and then everything after that is kind of a mess, and depends on what you read or listen to.

Big Finish goes; Beevers/Pratt Master (meant to be the same incarnation, and seperate from Delgado before getting cripsy), Ainley Master, back to Beever (due to poo poo in Dust Breeding - but only because Ainley didn't return to the role), everyone's favourite, Hissy, then the Tipple Master in the Movie prologue (who may or may not meant to be the Ainley Master, or someone else), then the very nicely drezzed Eric Roberts, then back to body-hopping Hissy possessing people for a 100 years or so, then gaining a new set of regenerations as Macqueen Master, then Yana, Simm and Missy.

Makes perfect sense, in so far as anything contradictory makes sense in Doctor Who :v:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Christopher Gerald Ira Snake the First comes between Tipple and Roberts.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Here's my hot take:

So if Pratt/Beevers was the last incarnation of The Master's original regeneration cycle, no matter who he was before (Delgado or not), that would be The 13th Master.

When he took over Tremas' body, if we count that as a regeneration, that would be the 14th Master. That's debatable since it wasn't a proper regeneration. In theory it's the same guy possessing a new body.

One thing you have to decide is if you assume the Master from the TV movie who was executed by the Daleks is the Ainley/Tremas Master. I say yes, because his eyes were kinda cat eyes, which would jive with how we last saw him, possessed by the Cat People (Putting Out Fire) from Survival. Next you have to decide if CGI Snake counts. Personally I don't since that was more an elemental form.

The Eric Roberts body was another possession. So if you only count Gallifreyan bodies, this is still the 13th Master. If you count personalities, Ainley would be 14, Roberts 15.

Professor Yana we now know is the War Master, and had that body during the Time War, before he was Yana. We know he was resurrected by the Time Lords, and given a new cycle of regenerations. But according to Big Finish, there was at least one other War Master, Alex McQueen's who would be the 16th Master, then Jacobi is the 17th Master. Or 15th if you are a Gallifreyan purist.

We did see him regenerate into Simm, in the Master's only on screen regeneration. So Simm is 18/16. But Simm died, refused to regenerate, and was resurrected from his ashes via ceremony. So you could have 2 Simm Masters, same way Tennant was technically Doctors 10 and 11 (or really 11 and 12). So Super Sayan Simm is 19/17--if you count that as a proper regeneration. Though with no orange light, you might not.

If Missy is the next Master, and we have no idea if she is or not (yet at least), that would make her the 20th Master. Or she could be as low as the 17th Master, if you only count strict Gallifreyan regenerations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also if you want to get REALLY technical, there were briefly seven billionish Simm Masters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

docbeard posted:

Also if you want to get REALLY technical, there were briefly seven billionish Simm Masters.

And remember, the Doctor brought later versions of at least two of them to the colony ship.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cleretic posted:

And remember, the Doctor brought later versions of at least two of them to the colony ship.

Huh? EX-PLAIN!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Huh? EX-PLAIN!

Bill was presumably one of those temporarily changed by the whole "Master Race" debacle. I don't think Nardole, being a cyborg from (probably) the future, would have been, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's. You know. The Master herself.

• Locked thread