Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

that doesn't seem like very good return for duchene. none of those picks have much value and unless dal colle is good now and not a longshot neither does the prospect

duchene is only 26, the avs can and should hold onto him unless they get an offer that actually gets them quality (young) assets

I think dicking around players like that has a net negative effect on your organization though, since it makes free agents much less likely to sign. With the state the Avs are in, they don't need to be alienating the entire player base by loving someone over and keeping them in a hopeless situation after requesting a trade and getting multiple offers that would almost certainly help your team out more than keeping him would (especially given the secondary effects on the perception of the franchise).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Look Around You posted:

I think dicking around players like that has a net negative effect on your organization though, since it makes free agents much less likely to sign. With the state the Avs are in, they don't need to be alienating the entire player base by loving someone over and keeping them in a hopeless situation after requesting a trade and getting multiple offers that would almost certainly help your team out more than keeping him would (especially given the secondary effects on the perception of the franchise).

The avs could not be any worse of a team if they tried, though, and I think it's become pretty clear in the last few years that the way to really build a team is through drafts and prospects, while using free agency to help out here and there, instead of the other way around. They were at or near dead last in pretty much every category you can name. Free agency isn't going to help them nearly as much as finally getting a GM who knows what he's doing and restocking on picks and prospects.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

DJExile posted:

The avs could not be any worse of a team if they tried, though, and I think it's become pretty clear in the last few years that the way to really build a team is through drafts and prospects, while using free agency to help out here and there, instead of the other way around. They were at or near dead last in pretty much every category you can name. Free agency isn't going to help them nearly as much as finally getting a GM who knows what he's doing and restocking on picks and prospects.

Right, but then you could do both by leveraging that player that wants out into assets that help you rebuild through draft picks and prospects, could you not?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Right, but then you could do both by leveraging that player that wants out into assets that help you rebuild through draft picks and prospects, could you not?

Oh no question, but they're basically in a "beggars can't be choosers" situation at this point. 4 picks and a prospect for a guy who wants out in the worst way is a pretty good way to get started on your rebuild.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think the Avs did try and rebuild through the draft, they just got ahead of themselves after their miraculous 2013-14 when they jumped from dead last to 2nd in the conference. It's basically what the Leafs did last year (but even more so because the Avs were a 112 point team that year :psyduck:) and why Lou and co. should be careful about pivoting the Leafs to win now at this point. Fluke seasons up or down in the standings happen. It's about sustainability, and so many teams get way too excited about one lucky playoff appearance and screw themselves over as a result.

Ditto for the Oilers. That team hasn't really convinced me they've turned a corner properly yet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aaah, I didn't know they'd actually been in that process

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

Aaah, I didn't know they'd actually been in that process

Yeah they picked 3rd in 2009 (Duchene), 2nd in 2011 (Landeskog) and 1st in 2013 (MacKinnon). They had a great year in 2013/14 on the strength of some great rookie performances, a bunch of built up depth and Varlamov being lights out. Rather than realizing things were improving but there were bound to be growing pains, they opted to go all in that summer and let Stastny walk as a UFA and signed and traded for a bunch of old guys in Danny Briere, Brad Stuart and Jarome Iginla. Unsurprisingly, everyone didn't have a career year for a second time in a row and the old guys didn't help much. They then didn't learn their lesson and continued to alienate probably their best player in O'Reilly and ditched him in the summer for lovely futures (JT Compher, Nikita Zadorov and Michael Grigorenko). They signed Carl Soderberg and Francois Beauchemin to big contracts and then when they had like a 5% chance of making the playoffs made a deadline deal for Mikkel Boedker (admittedly for not that much in retrospect).

They're the textbook example how of trying and failing to "accelerate the rebuild."

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 28, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god I completely forgot they traded for a 37 year old danny briere

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

They're the textbook example how of trying and failing to "accelerate the rebuild."

An example the Canucks will uphold in about 6 years.
The Habs will be right on their heels.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Oh, don't worry, the leafs and oilers are almost certain to do the same. The lich king and the nepotism crew got a taste of success. They ain't letting that go now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Habibi posted:

Kings are apparently interested in signing Thornton, which would be gently caress that.

Columbus is apparently on the list as well. What a time to be alive.

Ryan Johansen leaving only to have his hero join his old team two years later. :ironicat:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Schlesische posted:

An example the Canucks will uphold in about 6 years.
The Habs will be right on their heels.

Considering that Trevor Linden has only used the word "rebuild" once and sounded like Lance Armstrong finally admitting to doping while he did so, I don't think you can actually say management feels they're in a rebuild let alone accelerating one.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Considering that Trevor Linden has only used the word "rebuild" once and sounded like Lance Armstrong finally admitting to doping while he did so, I don't think you can actually say management feels they're in a rebuild let alone accelerating one.

I figure 1 year for the Sedin's to give up, 2 years for the franchise to crater and start again, 2 more years for them to start again again and then the false dawn season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rumors that McDavid extension is 8/106? That's...actually pretty reasonable.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Schlesische posted:

I figure 1 year for the Sedin's to give up, 2 years for the franchise to crater and start again, 2 more years for them to start again again and then the false dawn season.

They already had their false dawn in 2014-15 and management still hasn't figured out that was a weird aberration yet two full seasons later. In their heads, the team are just temporarily embarrassed contenders and not the bottom of the barrel laughing stock they are. Jim Benning actually blamed injuries for Brandon Sutter's poor performance this year despite the fact he played in 81 games (According to Jimbo he had a wrist injury and without it he'd have set a career high in goals! I wish I was making that up!)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

Handing out a 106 year contract for someone who hasn't even won a cup is definitely not reasonable.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I feel like every statement the Canucks have made recently suggests that they're not at all committed to a rebuild.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I feel like every statement the Canucks have made recently suggests that they're not at all committed to a rebuild.

Yeah, this is the only instance in which anyone connected with the team has used the word and I've heard less forced admissions of infidelity:

Trevor Linden posted:

“Obviously we’ve been forthright in saying we’ve been transitioning as a team to a younger group and that was becoming a bit of a sticking point with some people. So to get alignment with our fans and our media I used the rebuild word today, which everyone can get their head around.

“If that word makes everyone happier then I’m more than happy to use it.”

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, this is the only instance in which anyone connected with the team has used the word and I've heard less forced admissions of infidelity:

IMO if the org doesn't realize that "transitioning to a younger team" =! rebuild, then SAS likely has many more years of entertainment at the Canucks' expense to look forward to

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

xzzy posted:

Handing out a 106 year contract for someone who hasn't even won a cup is definitely not reasonable.

Gonna get PAID at $8M per year for 106 years, even if it's AAV...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

IMO if the org doesn't realize that "transitioning to a younger team" =! rebuild, then SAS likely has many more years of entertainment at the Canucks' expense to look forward to

I mean, the Rangers are pulling it off without going into full on rebuild mode.It'll be really obvious if they don't sign Shattenkirk because they're going to need some young kids to step up on D.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Gonna get PAID at $8M per year for 106 years, even if it's AAV...

:thejoke:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Turns out the Red Wings aren't going to be the first freefall in their new arena.

https://twitter.com/FOX2News/status...walk%2F94121%2F

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

when they had like a 5% chance of making the playoffs made a deadline deal for Mikkel Boedker (admittedly for not that much in retrospect).

This trade is looking worse and worse though. kyle wood they got through the trade put up 43 points in 68 games in the ahl at age 20 and looks legit and that second round compensatory pick turned into chychrun. Even Tanguay put up 13 points in 18 games when we got him, more than half of what he did in 52 games with the avs that year, although that's probably worth more to the avs for what they didn't get out of him than what the coyotes did get out of him.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Rotten Cookies posted:

Turns out the Red Wings aren't going to be the first freefall in their new arena.

so the new arena is already cursed

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Levitate posted:

For every year Detroit made the playoffs they will be forced to endure triple without

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

good

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

this is ken holland's fault

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy loving lol

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/880089333423800320

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Oh Montreal, never stop being awesome.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Please do :unsmigghh:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

C'mon Bergevin... you know you wanna. Do it!

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

bewbies posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/880055907513757696

Including the final year of his ELC, 9 more years of McDavid guaranteed at a cap hit % similar to Crosby's when he came out of his ELC, but with more term. I'm fine with that. :toot:

Now don't forget about Drai.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat that's is a really solid deal for McDavid

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Got me a case of the terminal lmaos

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I think the Avs did try and rebuild through the draft, they just got ahead of themselves after their miraculous 2013-14 when they jumped from dead last to 2nd in the conference. It's basically what the Leafs did last year (but even more so because the Avs were a 112 point team that year :psyduck:) and why Lou and co. should be careful about pivoting the Leafs to win now at this point. Fluke seasons up or down in the standings happen. It's about sustainability, and so many teams get way too excited about one lucky playoff appearance and screw themselves over as a result.

Ditto for the Oilers. That team hasn't really convinced me they've turned a corner properly yet.

If it weren't for Mcdavid I'm pretty sure the Oilers would be a bottom 10 team. That roster is rear end. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them miss the playoffs.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

mennoknight posted:

Spencer Foo is gonna loving contribute to my boner patrol

This...

This is... Art.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/A_Kalnins/status/880088841905987584

thats bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

If it weren't for Mcdavid I'm pretty sure the Oilers would be a bottom 10 team. That roster is rear end. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them miss the playoffs.

It's kinda hard to tell though because so much of the rest of the west is even worse

• Locked thread