Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I'd like to thank Jamfrost Jamiro for out-of-the-blue carpet bombing me with a plethora of cool gifts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's not as focused as 1 or as mechanically interesting as 2. I honestly feel like they attempted to cram a number of Bloodborne elements in the Dark Souls 1 formula without fully considering how well they would fit. Enemies move faster and more aggressively but the player's toolset isn't expanded to react to those changes in a meaningful way.

It's definitely worth playing at some point if you like the series, but I wouldn't make it a priority.

Interesting, the only reason i really want to play it was because of Bloodborne. That sounds like it might be pretty frustrating if i can't react as i would intuitively feel like i should after playing BB.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Does anyone know whether it's still possible to apply non-german Left4dead2 to German steam accounts?

And if it is, are there still goons buying games for other people? (sorry I'm phone posting)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Kin posted:

Someone tell me something horribly annoying about Dark Souls 3. I'm on the verge of buying it but have a load of good games in my backlog already.

In the entire game I counted one single exceptional bonfire to bonfire sequence. Most of it is very by the numbers Soulsing in very tepid environments.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Kin posted:

Someone tell me something horribly annoying about Dark Souls 3. I'm on the verge of buying it but have a load of good games in my backlog already.

It's extremely linear compared to all the other games in the series. There's only about 3 times you can choose your path but the game will force you to do the other path eventually

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Lakbay posted:

This is my first time buying stuff in a steam sale since xmas 2015 and I swear some stuff was cheaper then. Has this been a trend recently and will stuff not get deeper discounts in the fall/winter sales?

I believe some or most of the AAA publisheres have decided the previous sale discounts were too much, so they are now reining-in. All Steam games and library jokes aside - if that's true it might be the best opportunity to start playing some games instead of just accumulating them.

Kin posted:

Sure: https://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/374320/

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 28, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I mostly buy indie games during sales and even those seem to not have as big discounts. I had a "buy when it's $5 or less" rule but a lot of stuff I expected to be at that price point are at $6.79 or $7.50 and most of them are a couple of years old

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr Strangepants posted:

I use these sales to get classic games that I've never played. Dungeon Siege I through III is only $4 total. Are they worth playing?

I never got around to BioShock Infinite - is $7.50 the lowest it's been? Is the season pass worth it?

Any other suggestions for hot deals on popular games of the last 10 years? (I realize this may be a dumb question, considering the shear magnitude...)

DS1 was good for its time but probably won't hold up well.
DS2 was much better though the Steam version removes multiplayer IIRC, which is a deal killer for me.
DS3 is the reason there's no DS4.

Path of Exile is free to play and I'd say it's better than DS2, let alone DS1 and lol DS3.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Lakbay posted:

I mostly buy indie games during sales and even those seem to not have as big discounts. I had a "buy when it's $5 or less" rule but a lot of stuff I expected to be at that price point are at $6.79 or $7.50 and most of them are a couple of years old

The AAA policy might have "trickled down" to the indie publishers? Not sure. Also, bundles are still a thing, so sale or not I know I'll inevitably add to my already big library. There should be a time cost from howlongtobeat.com or something at this point, the addiction is real.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Dark Souls 3 and Bioshock Infinite are fine if you are a fan of either franchise. Don't buy into the goon hyperbole.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Honestly I'd rather indies so the 'I've got insane personal beliefs so I'm never discounting this' than freaking 15% off. I might buy the game in the former but I ain't ever buying the latter.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone ever here about this game? Devil Daggers. Just came across it browsing, reviews seem pretty good.

I wrote about Devil Daggers. It's probably the greatest use of the old Quake 1 aesthetic yet and for a single-player game does an amazing job of jacking your adrenaline up. As long as you don't mind that it's one arena over and over and over again it's a rad little game. Find a bunch of friends that play it to populate your leaderboard for best results.

Tulip posted:

What's goon consensus on Abzu?

I wrote about Abzu. There's not much to do besides swim through the levels and look at fishies but they're really pretty levels with really pretty fishies. It's two hours of perfect chill marked by the occasional creepy or emotional scene as the story comes into play.

tater_salad posted:

Friendly reminder if you don't own Super Hot you should and it's on sale for $15.

It has a unique presentation and amazing unique gameplay that is unforgiving but also keeps you sucked in to "one more time" at least 20 times.

I wrote about SUPERHOT. It's an insanely gratifying mix of first-person action and intense strategy, and shattering your enemies is one of the greatest feelings in all of videogamedom. However, it is very important to note that the story mode is not the main draw here. It's quite good but only two hours long, so if you finish that and call yourself done you're probably going to be disappointed. The real fun is in the endless arena modes and themed challenge modes which expand on the base gameplay in really cool ways.

Lakbay posted:

Steam has been around long enough for people to really dissect and analyze the sale culture, so discounts have most likely moved to where developers have calculated they'll make the most money. Never being on sale doesn't work unless you're a Factorio-style sensation but going to 90% off after a few months or even years seems to not have become a winning strategy for most games. I'm just speculating but price points for the last year or so have felt very deliberate among big names and indies alike.

That being said, I have Deathstate, Transistor, both Rusty Lake games, and EMPORIUM in my cart right now for the kingly sum of $8 so it's not like great deals are gone forever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Shadow225 posted:

Dark Souls 3 and Bioshock Infinite are fine if you are a fan of either franchise. Don't buy into the goon hyperbole.

Goons seem to have an absurd amount of hatred for Bioshock: Infinite for some reason. I found it pretty entertaining and it goes to some interesting places. Wasn't incredible or anything but the way goons describe it you'd think it was just an animated gif of Ken Levine making GBS threads on a puppy or something.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Kin posted:

how do you feel about instakill grab enemies on a scale of one to swearing and screaming into a pillow

how much did you like the 'let's punish you by chopping off a chunk of your health bar' mechanic on a scale of one to getting really excited about a section full of regular enemies who cut your health bar down to about an inch by existing hard at you

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Scalding Coffee posted:

YMBAB is unbalanced garbage. Grinding won't help you in that game.

counterpoint: YMBAB is good and you'll probably like it if you liked 10000000.
I have no idea how it would play on a PC though, I have it on my phone and it's very much geared toward a touchscreen.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I want to make my traditional recommendation of One Way Heroics Plus

http://store.steampowered.com/app/352840/One_Way_Heroics_Plus/

It's $2.59 $4.53 for one of the absolute best rogue-likes I've ever played. For those unfamiliar, it's a turn based rogue-like wherein the left side of the screen is an ever encroaching wall of darkness. You have to keep moving and fighting or get swallowed up by the void.

Don't let the art style put you off. It's got great music, tons of charm, and a ton of variety. I thought it was good when it was just "One Way Heroics", then they added the "Plus" expansion, more than doubling the amount of content, and it became a game that is an absolute must-have for any fans of the genre.

edit: Apparently it's $4.53 for the full package. Still more than worth it.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 28, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Xaris posted:

Well before you decide about Dungeon Siege 3...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExeoT_jZHA

I see that JEYNE KASSINDER is the only thing that other people took away from DS3 as well.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've heard it's good. Is it anything like Just Cause 2?

No in that I didn't like Just Cause 2, the controls felt stiff and the gunplay was boring to me. This is like the good parts of that game (parachutes et al) added to an actual good shooter, with some jungle survival stuff in there (you craft upgrades out of dif animals' pelts), and it's much prettier, and you can do stealth take downs of bases. There's no stupid game breaking grappling hook tho, there's actual climbing and platforming instead.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Shadow225 posted:

They're flawed games. I played through both and enjoyed them overall, but they definitely have issues that could ruin the experience if you care enough about the impacted parts.

EDIT: If someone says they're total trash, though, that is silly.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 28, 2017

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Any opinions about Starbound? I remember hearing it gets tedious quickly but apparently they've just released a big update.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Havana Affair posted:

Any opinions about Starbound? I remember hearing it gets tedious quickly but apparently they've just released a big update.

It's contentious but I found it too tedious to enjoy. Terraria is a far better game for just letting you do whatever you want.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'm just speculating but price points for the last year or so have felt very deliberate among big names and indies alike.

Okay that makes sense, right up until refunds and them killing flash/daily deals there was a definite uniform 6 months old = half off, a year old = 75%+ off discount that everyone did for their games

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Polish posted:

Should I get Dark Souls 3? I have never played a Dark Souls, but I thoroughly enjoyed fighting Lynels in Zelda and I hear combat is somewhat like that but harder.

That or Diablo 3...

If you've never played Diablo 3, I'd give it a chance. It's an amazingly fun and addictive game. I haven't played DS3 for reference but refunded DS1 recently.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

My issue with Starbound is it doesn't feel like a universe to explore, it feels like a bunch of randomly generated terrains separated by loading screens. To be fair, that's literally what it is, but they don't do a good job of maintaining an illusion.

In Terraria, the world the game generates in for you serves the purpose of being your playground. You tunnel through it, build a base, have consistent growth. Starbound on the other hand encourages you to constantly leave your progress behind in the interest of seeing new worlds or whatever, but it doesn't really give you any incentive to do so.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I want to make my traditional recommendation of One Way Heroics Plus

http://store.steampowered.com/app/352840/One_Way_Heroics_Plus/

It's $2.59 $4.53 for one of the absolute best rogue-likes I've ever played. For those unfamiliar, it's a turn based rogue-like wherein the left side of the screen is an ever encroaching wall of darkness. You have to keep moving and fighting or get swallowed up by the void.

Don't let the art style put you off. It's got great music, tons of charm, and a ton of variety. I thought it was good when it was just "One Way Heroics", then they added the "Plus" expansion, more than doubling the amount of content, and it became a game that is an absolute must-have for any fans of the genre.

edit: Apparently it's $4.53 for the full package. Still more than worth it.

One way heroics is great, is Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics worth picking up at the sale price? I have heard it's not as good.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 28, 2017

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Here's a few of my recommendations for some of the more obscure Steam games on sale at the moment along with their discount and the current price:

Below Kryll (80% $0.99) - This is sort of like an indie version of Mario Maker with a stronger focus on puzzles and combat (and the non-Steam version even came out before Mario Maker). There's actually one big, interconnected world and people make levels within grid cells in the world; new enemies and hazards are available to level creators in lower locations and the lower half of the world is an entirely different region from the top half. You can't directly interact with other players, but you can see their shadows if you're both in an instance of the same level and there's a global chat. The game is pretty much a ghost town at this point since the developer's haven't exactly been great at marketing it, but there's a ton of existing content and an extremely generous demo if you're really not sure about spending that $1.

Voidspire Tactics (50% $7.49) - A grid-based tactical strategy game with a Zelda-like overworld to explore. This is honestly one of my all-time favorite games. You only have 4 party members and it's a low-stats game so combat tends to be fast and brutal. Voidspire's big claim to fame is that combat abilities can be used to affect the world. For example, Growth heals party members over time, but it can also be used to grow vines to climb up to ledges, ice spells can freeze any water, use arrows to hit levels, etc. It's light on plot, but you're pretty much free to explore the world in whichever order you want and there are a ton of secrets. The only thing bad about it is the inventory management.

Burnstar (80% $0.99) - An action puzzle game about exploding boxes and burning stuff. It reminds me a bit of the NES Lolo games. You have four characters to choose from and they each have a different ability, like making a clone they can swap places with or just running really fast. There's a lot of content and both the puzzles and the action elements get very hard later on.

Crystal Towers 2 (50% $3.99) - Sort of a combination of a 2D Genesis-era platformer and Super Mario 64. You have a big hub castle from which you enter various levels multiple times each in order to collect objective-based gems. Objectives include things like jumping on a specific combination of enemies without touching the ground, getting to the end without getting hit, making it to the gem without picking up any shards (coins), and quite a few others. There's a lot of content and most of it is completely solid other than some tedious boss fights.

Creepy Castle (66% $5.09) - A sidescrolling adventure RPG where combat takes on the form of WarioWare-style minigames. There are ten types of minigames in all, but each enemy has their own variants of one or more of them. It has an overall lighthearted tone to the plot, though there are definitely some surprisingly dark undertones, especially later on. It can start to wear thin at times when it throws multiple mandatory fights against the same one or two enemy types at you in a row, but the game as a whole is enjoyable.

Miracle Fly (80% $1.59) - This game is better than a game where you control flying anime witches has any right to be. It has a unique control mechanic where your attacks are what propel you through the air so you're always moving in the opposite direction of your attacks and you need to make some precise movements while watching your fuel gauge. The goal of each level is simply to get to the end, though there are 3 gems to find per level which are used to unlock optional levels. There are over 100 levels and it feels like every single one of them introduces a new mechanic or a new twist on an old mechanic, like low gravity, ice blocks, rotating gravity, and even stealth sections. It also becomes brutally tough after the first few worlds and there are a lot of branching paths along the way.

Ookibloks (50% $0.99) - An arcade puzzle game of sorts. You control a monkey and you can only move in straight lines from one block to another like in a sliding ice puzzle. Each level has blocks with bananas in them and the goal is to hit all of these blocks to collect the bananas. It's a bit on the short and simple side, though it still provides a good challenge in the later areas and there's definitely enough content for the asking price.

Mute Crimson+ (50% $2.49) - A very solid action platformer with a neat color scheme. There's nothing overly original about it, but it has smooth controls, great level design, and lots of variety when it comes to enemies and level mechanics.

Super Cyborg (60% $1.99) - It's unabashedly Contra with infinite continues and a few checkpoints thrown in. It's tough even by 2D Contra standards, but if you like those games you'll almost certainly like this one.

Grandpa's Table (60% $1.99) - An atmospheric sliding puzzle game. The puzzles themselves tend to be cleverly designed, but this game really won me over with its relaxing and very bittersweet tone. It's an elegantly simple puzzle game all-around.

Militia (60% $2.39) - Militia calls itself a "bite-sized turn-based strategy game", but I think a more accurate description would be that it's something akin to a chess puzzle. Each level takes place on a small grid where your units and their positions are preassigned. Everything dies in one hit so the main differences between the units are how they move and attack (some units are also purely support). The goal of every level is to kill every enemy marked with a star. Levels are randomized, but are always possible to solve and their difficulty scales with your win/loss ratio. There's also two game modes, each of which has its own set of units. I've played a few other games by this developer and they're also solid, though this one's my favorite.

Ghostlords (51% $4.89) - I haven't played too much of this one yet, though I have really enjoyed what I've seen of it so far. It's sort of like Pokemon with ghosts and a better combat system where skills rely on a shared, regenerating energy system. You can freely swap around ghosts in combat without wasting a turn, but you can only ever have 3 ghosts at a time and if a ghost dies it's permanently gone. There's no map to walk around in and instead the game is divided into multiple campaigns. The world map is divided into multiple region nodes with branching paths and each node in turn is divided into a pyramid of smaller nodes consisting of events like 'wild ghost', 'healer', or 'unknown'. You can't backtrack so you often need to make decisions like choosing between healing up your current ghosts or checking out a Wild Ghost node to see if you can find something more useful.

If anyone's interested, I've also written some far more detailed articles and made short gameplay videos for most of these games along with quite a few other ones which are currently on sale over at: http://indieoverlook.com/games/

Also, it's already been mentioned a few times in the thread, but Hollow Knight is fantastic and really is worth getting for anyone who might be on the fence about it.

Seeric fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 28, 2017

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
Would anyone recommend Wuppo for people not that into Metroidvanias?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I am finally playing Bastion four years after receiving it. Pretty cool, is Transistor worth a buy?

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Anti-Hero posted:

I am finally playing Bastion four years after receiving it. Pretty cool, is Transistor worth a buy?

It's not nearly as good as Bastion, but it's still pretty cool. People would remember it way more fondly if Bastion hadn't come first!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

betamax hipster posted:

It's not nearly as good as Bastion, but it's still pretty cool. People would remember it way more fondly if Bastion hadn't come first!

Hmm, I'll probably skip it then. I'm about 4 hours in to Bastion and it's really starting to come into its own, but I think a "worse" version of it is not something worth my time.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
counter-opinion : transistor really good, very unique and not too similar to bastion . Its kinda short but i very much enjoyed a second playthrough ,

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Anti-Hero posted:

Hmm, I'll probably skip it then. I'm about 4 hours in to Bastion and it's really starting to come into its own, but I think a "worse" version of it is not something worth my time.

I should've been clear, the gameplay is very different! It plays like a weird hybrid between a turn-based and action RPG.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Transistor is a very different game from Bastion and the combat system is pretty interesting. It's worth a shot at $3.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Anti-Hero posted:

Transistor is a great game, and plays nothing like Bastion, so thinking about it as a 'worse Bastion' is kinda unfair.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Zaphiel posted:

Would anyone recommend Wuppo for people not that into Metroidvanias?

I had completely forgotten about this game because it's been a while since I last played it and I haven't finished it yet, but I remember liking it a lot. It sort of oozes with a disgusting amount of charm. I think it's worth getting even if you don't like Metroidvanias, though that might depend on just what you don't like about Metroidvanias and to what degree. Even though there's some exploration and backtracking involved, a lot of the progression is based around puzzles and NPC interactions; it feels oddly similar to an adventure game in some ways. There's not much in the way of combat against normal enemies, but there are a lot of boss fights.

Wuppo is honestly just a very strange game and doesn't feel too similar to anything else that I can think of. There's a lot to like even if you're not a fan of Metroidvanias, though if you're really on the fence about it I'd honestly recommend checking out the demo or watching an uncut gameplay video of the first few minutes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Edmond Dantes posted:

Transistor is a great game, and plays nothing like Bastion, so thinking about it as a 'worse Bastion' is kinda unfair.

While i agree its pretty drat different, both style and gameplay. I think when people say "worse Bastion" it's not direct apples:applse comparison, but more like "which did I like more?" so like a "I had more fun playing Bastion than Transistor" which is fair and also my experience. And really the only reason people compare them is because it's the same developer which probably isn't exactly a fair comparison just because of that.

Not that I didn't enjoy the latter, I had a lot of nitpicks of it but it was still a neat 1-time experience and for $3 that's a very good deal.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
How long is a Transistor playthrough?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i want to say about 7-9 hours, (not really any longer than that tho depends on how much you mess around with different combat plugins and wait around and stuff)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Alright, added to the wishlist at least. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

I'd like to add that you can play Transistor like Bastion if you want. Much like VATS in Fallout, using the semi-turn-based combat system is optional. It didn't really click with me and probably as a result I had a better time with Bastion.

• Locked thread