Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's a function of your skill and familiarity with the game- you're gonna have a tough time starting out with something "off-meta" but ultimately the answer is yes if you're patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

dead in real life posted:

Just started playing a little over a week ago. I just kind of want to know, to put it flatly, if off-meta builds can be workable for endgame stuff, or if you're more or less obligated to be a meta-slave if you want to beat the hardest content?

I have never played a meta build and I've done pretty much everything in the game

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm not even very familiar with the game (as I learned trying to make Voltaxic work) and still made my own build with a non-meta skill (Magma Orb) to good success previously. it started to struggle once I got to Guardians but with improved gear, some rejigging for single target and perseverance I think I could have had a good shot at Shaper and therefore all the endgame content anyway, I just lost interest in the league before I got that far. When you're starting out you won't know the game well enough to make your own build like this though but you can always follow a guide for a non-meta build too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's generally recommended that you START with meta builds, as the hard work of theorycrafting out build mechanics and synergy is already done for you. Once you become more familiar with the game and learn how each mechanic interacts, you can start to craft up your own. Although the game is ten times more forgiving about just picking something and running with it, you will eventually hit walls with a build you craft on your own often enough.

Usually what I do now is look at what other people are doing as a baseline. Like in Legacy, there was a Frostbolt Ignite Elementalist that Mathil made popular. I liked the idea and was completely unaware of just how goddamn good the threshold jewels are for Frostbolt. So I made a Frostbolt Assassin that uses Hrimburn for my ignite source; same basic idea but applied very differently. It was a ton of fun and could do everything in the game.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Basically there are three types of builds

1) People know who know how the game works put together something that's fun and can beat endgame content. Many of these builds are posted on the official forums and other people (who have less game knowledge or don't care as much) follow them.
2) Of those builds, there will be one or two with completely busted mechanics that allow you to beat endgame maps in less than one minute and one shot bosses. These are "meta" flavor of the month builds
3) People who don't know how the game works, winging a build that will probably tap out as the content gets hard.

If your brand new to the game, you can start with #3 just know that you wont do it right and will have to restart at some point before you get to endgame. Most people follow #1 and if you happen to get enough currency to do #2 (or someone finds a cheap meta build) then people do that. Theres no real wrong way to do it, but if you want to do endgame you either need to know how the game works or follow a guide from someone who does.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Speaking of broken, I found an Abberath's Hooves in Mayhem. What should I do with it, it's voided, so I can't play with it in standard. Sell, or do something goofy?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The Div tab is amazing, you just set it to only show full stacks.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
so uhh

how much is this thing worth, in LSC?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

so uhh

Mouse over it in game, hit ctrl+c, go to poe.trade, import item data, get rid of the stats you can ignore, hit search.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Just keep in mind that trading is nearly dead because everyone is in the beta

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

so uhh

It's an elemental damage wand, I'd say it's worthless. The only skills that work well with wands want high physical damage, don't they?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

McFrugal posted:

It's an elemental damage wand, I'd say it's worthless. The only skills that work well with wands want high physical damage, don't they?

ele wander is a thing, ghudda just proved that you need to beat piscator's, which very few wands actually do (and if you do: grats you have a very rare and good wand that should be worth 10+ EX but wont actually sell unless someone makes a popular video)

sooooo pray to saint mathil I guess

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

ele wander is a thing, ghudda just proved that you need to beat piscator's, which very few wands actually do (and if you do: grats you have a very rare and good wand that should be worth 10+ EX but wont actually sell unless someone makes a popular video)

Can you elaborate on the ghudda bit?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

pork never goes bad posted:

Can you elaborate on the ghudda bit?

he made a build a while back or maybe he proved it on stream? idk it has been a while, maybe now it's different? but I don't recall any buffs to ele wands, except maybe the new ele nodes around ranger and shadow

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What do you use to get the flat elemental damage Piscator's needs? Static Electricity jewels? I guess there's Thunderfist too, and flat ele from jewelry.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

McFrugal posted:

What do you use to get the flat elemental damage Piscator's needs? Static Electricity jewels? I guess there's Thunderfist too, and flat ele from jewelry.

Auras, Jewelry, Added Lightning/Cold gems.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There's the immolate support gem in 3.0, which is actually a shitload of damage, and works nicely with the multiple hits of kb and barrage.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

fortunately,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e4518ZYSeM

but i think between late league doldrums, mayhem race, and beta, the player base is too split to get me a sale on that wand :(

e: oh, i see that this is primarily a lightning wand build. WELL

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 27, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Come play maybe instead here. Its fuuuuun!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So on a budget bow ranger I'm supposed to focus on the crit chance/multiplayer nodes or straight elemental damage and playing with Hatred/Herald of Ice ? I like my Lightning Arrow to AoE clear and use Barrage as single target, but still feel my single target damage on Merciless could be better, I took all the crit chance/crit multiplier stuff like this.

I assume I hosed up somewhere in there

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
You're at ~level 60 and have less than 100% increased life from the tree. This is not that good, especially if you're using EV/Dodge as your defense. The Thick Skin cluster is right there, otherwise you've got a bit of a trek to get to other life nodes.

Are you using Volley Fire in that jewel socket?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

No I have a Poacher's Aim that I found randomly, didn't know that Volley Fire existed and it looks sick

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

frajaq posted:

So on a budget bow ranger I'm supposed to focus on the crit chance/multiplayer nodes or straight elemental damage and playing with Hatred/Herald of Ice ? I like my Lightning Arrow to AoE clear and use Barrage as single target, but still feel my single target damage on Merciless could be better, I took all the crit chance/crit multiplier stuff like this.

I assume I hosed up somewhere in there

I'd probably do it more like this: https://poeplanner.com/AAgAAMEABxIA...HqE0K0AAAAAAA==

That uses the same amount of points you have. From there get the Assassination node then you probably wanna head towards Blood Drinker for the life and last frenzy then just fill out life and damage like the rest of the Lethality cluster and get jewel slots.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ok I see that I was on the right track for some of the things and bricked the rest, good to know for the future, I'll pay more attention in 3.0

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Ele wanders are good as hell, they beat out Phys sands in almost every case unless you can afford to mirror a perfect phys wand

I'm not sure how good that wand is because most wander builds want high spell damage (for Coe) and high crit as well as at least one t1 ele roll, but that wand should still sell for a decent amount with some luck if someone is doing a wander build without CoE

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The crit is fine on that wand if anything the attack speed is the issue.

Also no one is loving playing a phys wand build right now, it's all ele wand Pathfinders with generic elemental pen.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

McFrugal posted:

Ele wands are expensive. I've sold a few this league for several exalts. Phy wands are better than ele wands, but only when the phy wands get near mirrored tier.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well alright then I stand corrected.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

McFrugal posted:

Well alright then I stand corrected.

No need to be so formal, have a seat.

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012
Just trying to make sure I understand prophecies. So, sometimes you'll enter a new area and a prophecy you can complete in that area will show up in purple text on the right. But other times you'll complete a similar prophecy without any warning. Clearly when the text is there the encounter is forced. But the other times it means you just completed it by random luck? I just sort of expected the prophecy to always appear if it was available for the area.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah, it depends on the nature of the prophecy whether you get the text or not.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Prophecies that affect a zone but don't have to be in a specific zone will trigger randomly when you enter a zone, or at least kind of. The actual way it works is the prophecy generates a random list of zones the moment you pick it up, and then will 100% trigger when you enter a zone in that list, which is effectively random but it's to prevent people from doing cheesy things and means you can't just keep making instances of the same zone 100 times until the prophecy triggers there. This means any prophecies that put things like masters, special packs of monsters, warbands, Vaal side areas, etc in the zone. Triggering these removes the prophecy from your prophecy loadout.

Prophecies that affect a SPECIFIC zone and affect the zone will always trigger the moment you enter that zone. Again, this is only prophecies that actually modify things in the zone. If a prophecy asks you to kill a specific boss, but otherwise doesn't modify the zone that the boss is in, then it doesn't have to trigger. Triggering these removes the prophecy from your prophecy loadout.

Prophecies that don't modify any actual zone but trigger off a specific thing happening will always happen when triggered, but are not consumed until you actually perform the action stated in the prophecy. These are usually ones asking you to kill a specific boss, kill a specific type of rare monster, click on a thing, or use a particular kind of currency.

Prophecies that just say "you will find a X" trigger randomly when you kill a monster. These have no deterministic qualities at all, and are just a die roll whenever you kill something. The most notable of these for me is the one that gives you a 20 quality gem, but I know there are a few others that trigger this way and I don't remember them off the top of my head. Again, these are only removed from your prophecy loadout when they actually trigger.

E: Whether or not purple text for the prophecy will appear is somewhat random based on which particular prophecy it is. Prophecies that modify the zone always show up in purple text because they are consumed as soon as you enter the zone. Prophecies that don't modify the zone may or may not show up in purple text on a very inconsistent basis (you'll get purple text for prophecies asking you to kill a particular boss wearing a particular unique, but you won't get purple text for say the prophecy that asks you to kill Queen Atziri to get a Vaults of Atziri when you run an Atziri map).

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 28, 2017

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012
Okay, I think I kinda get it now, thank you for the in-depth answer.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

well, I hit 85 in ssf HC mayhem, now I can bitch about having to share a drawing for the mtx with the plebs in the other leagues

loving plebs

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I want to try out a Righteous Fire build - any recommended guides out there? So far I'm debating between Juggernaut and Scion

e: the RF scion guide I'm looking at is pretty bad. Well I guess now it's guardian vs chieftain, both are demigodking's builds

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 28, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jinnigan posted:

I want to try out a Righteous Fire build - any recommended guides out there? So far I'm debating between Juggernaut and Scion

e: the RF scion guide I'm looking at is pretty bad. Well I guess now it's guardian vs chieftain, both are demigodking's builds

Yeah I looked at that Scion build and dropped it for the huge life chieftain one that I think you found. It's fun!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jinnigan posted:

LL Guardians are p god too, since they don't need Shavs (I think Rodent had a v good build)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Okay, cool. Currently I'm looking at https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1729087, the big str chieftain build, since the guardian build is for god-tier equipment.

Gonna follow that one to try out Righteous Fire and regen mechanics, but I bet scorching ray would be better than whatever this guy's got going on with a loving 6l cwdt-blade vortex or whatever the gently caress though

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

Okay, cool. Currently I'm looking at https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1729087, the big str chieftain build, since the guardian build is for god-tier equipment.

Gonna follow that one to try out Righteous Fire and regen mechanics, but I bet scorching ray would be better than whatever this guy's got going on with a loving 6l cwdt-blade vortex or whatever the gently caress though

Phox has a pretty good guide for LL guardian. I believe it's only on YouTube but it has some good item recommendations for getting started; especially the bated breath belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I ran a LL Guardian for a while before getting a Shav's and it was pretty goddamn strong even then, worth taking a look at.

• Locked thread