Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

city of doves posted:

this thread is one of those finnish saunas but instead of water vapour it's chlorine gas and you're all in here jostling against each other, nude and abundantly fleshed, whipping each other with sticks and screaming out for mercy as you slowly die, but if anyone tries to open the door from outside you all start throwing poo and hooting like gibbons

I'm aroused now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

city of doves posted:

this thread is one of those finnish saunas but instead of water vapour it's chlorine gas and you're all in here jostling against each other, nude and abundantly fleshed, whipping each other with sticks and screaming out for mercy as you slowly die, but if anyone tries to open the door from outside you all start throwing poo and hooting like gibbons

:10bux: well spent

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

city of doves posted:

:clap: pay :clap: attention :clap: to :clap: me :clap:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

city of doves posted:

Dad get off the computer

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

...and then I start posting about how unfair it is I can't talk about warlock related activities in my neighborhood.

Please make this thread.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

How do they do this? Lobby for harsh academic requirements and competitiveness in medical school? Make it hard for foreign doctors to get certified?

They control certifying medical schools. It's incredibly difficult and expensive for a university to add one. Less medical schools less medical students less doctors.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The dude who yelled at Huckabee-Sanders at the press conference yesterday has gone from ~1k to approximately 65k Twitter followers in 24 hours lol

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Dad get off the computer

lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sit on my Facebook posted:

The dude who yelled at Huckabee-Sanders at the press conference yesterday has gone from ~1k to approximately 65k Twitter followers in 24 hours lol
He writes for Playboy.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

He writes for Playboy.

among other things. he's in the WH press corps for a different paper.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

botany posted:

among other things. he's in the WH press corps for a different paper.

Actually a pretty good political writer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

If there's only one buyer, that buyer effectively controls the sellers and can dictate prices (a common problem, for example, with businesses that sell to Walmart and then get hosed by Walmart once Walmart is a large enough part of their business they do what Walmart says or they die).

Fun pub trivia word: Monopsony :eng101:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

The issue there is a pretty complicated issue of how the appropriations were done. It is well within the majority's power to defund something without abolishing it, They can't do that to almost all of Obamacare because that has guaranteed funding not subject to the annual appropriations process. The issue is whether those cost-sharing subsidies are or are not subject to annual appropriation (basically, if it's a drafter fuckup that somehow they weren't included in the mandatory spending).

Getting legislation to make that guaranteed funding is a legislative win worth making some token concessions for. It's not worth making significant concessions for because Republicans are basically asking to be saved from themselves. Plus it gets them 'a little bit pregnant', once they're voting to fund part of Obamacare it starts ending the health care wars a little bit.

There are also probably other legislative tweaks that Democrats may want to make, and Republican things that wouldn't be the worst idea that can be offered in return. It's worth exploring (privately, so the negotiations themselves give no political cover), though I have serious doubts if anything productive would get done.

Dems, like you said, would be helping out republicans since if the exchanges collapse under their watch, they will be blamed. I don't really have any interest in giving them anything in return for that. I'd almost rather let them fail. Also, I don't think the health care wars will end during our lifetimes.

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
thread: fly away, troll! we do not bestow attention on the undeserving, for we are very smart, and in control of our emotions.

goon 2: trump good

thread: :wtf: :a2m: :burger: :fuckthis:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/Evan_McMullin/status/879889503082696704

reminder

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.127c0e20734a

The Russians have money all over the GOP

Manafort is their point guy

some are more in it than others
Anyone remember AbScam? Its always the early 80s scandal that seems to be swept under the rug.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Dems, like you said, would be helping out republicans since if the exchanges collapse under their watch, they will be blamed. I don't really have any interest in giving them anything in return for that. I'd almost rather let them fail. Also, I don't think the health care wars will end during our lifetimes.

It is not in their political advantage to do it, but I'm not a republican who believes political advantage should trump heathcare for americans. It's a mild loss of political advantage in exchange for a major benefit to the American people.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Whose rereg are you?

Abundantly fleshed is a big Avshalom tell.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So this letter is dated a week ago but I don't recall seeing it.

The CBC tells trump to gently caress off.

https://cbc.house.gov/uploadedfiles/cbc_white_house_invitation_response.pdf

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

How do they do this? Lobby for harsh academic requirements and competitiveness in medical school? Make it hard for foreign doctors to get certified?

They control certification for med schools and residency programs so they can dictate the number of new MDs graduating each year. On one hand labor unions are cool and good, on the other it increases cost of healthcare and reduces access. American doctors are paid way more and there are fewer of them per capita than in any other developed nation.

Especially with boomers aging we're going to need more doctors so at some point we'll have to significantly increase MD graduation rates and doctors will take a pay cut.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Oracle posted:

Anyone remember AbScam? Its always the early 80s scandal that seems to be swept under the rug.

They made a mildly decent movie out of that, didn't they?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

It is not in their political advantage to do it, but I'm not a republican who believes political advantage should trump heathcare for americans. It's a mild loss of political advantage in exchange for a major benefit to the American people.

That is fair but, under no circumstances should they be making concessions in order to take that political disadvantage.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hey, the Senate bill can't be less popular than the house bill...right?

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/880080861621780480

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

The GOP should be commended for managing to bring so many Americans together on one side of an issue.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Oracle posted:

It was the subject of a major motion picture just four years ago.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Those 12% thought the ballot was confusing and accidentally voted for Buchanan.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Face blindness test, which one of these is a terrible human being?

https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/880073819557416960

It's both

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Nah, Avshalom is way funnier than this idiot

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Who the hell knows what the electoral politics of this are going to be anymore.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Avshalom was a better writer. This is the same sort of shtick but not funny.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

Avshalom was a better writer. This is the same sort of shtick but not funny.

If mistaken identity causes them to eat a perma I'm not gonna complain.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Point Where CNN Loses The Little Dignity it Still Had Left.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

awesmoe posted:

t's a reminder that the poo poo he's spewing is official white policy, as recognized by other white house staff and by the courts.

This is an awesome typo.

"That Orange Bastard"

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

farraday posted:

Face blindness test, which one of these is a terrible human being?

https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/880073819557416960

It's both

https://mobile.twitter.com/darth/status/880078244770308096

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rand Paul's demands: https://www.paul.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/HealthCareReformLetter.pdf

Short version:

1a) Doesn't seem crazy, let people form group plans on their own.
1b) Strikes me as disguised craziness, letting groups self-insure strikes me as a good way to make sure they can't actually cover poo poo.
1c) Complete craziness, abolish regulations on group plans.

2) Gut all ACA payments to insurers for the individual market. Basically, destroy it.

3) Make the subsidies non-refundable (i.e. no poors) and only paid with your refund instead of throughout the year (the "advanced" bit, i.e. no poors, nobody without enough savings to prepay the entire premiums and get reimbursed at the end of the year instead of the subsidy going direct to insurers so you don't have to front the money).

4) Let insurers impose a waiting period but don't mandate it. Seems reasonable on the surface but I'm pretty sure it would be gamed to poo poo to end pre-existing condition coverage.

Number 3 is an absolute deal-breaker. You might notice that the subsidies for people without a lot of money only apply if...you have a lot of money. So basically they become a trust fund baby entitlement and nothing else.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Push El Burrito posted:

This thread is like a bunch of people talking about Trump and when someone comes in and says "ok but what about not Trump?" everyone says "hey this isn't the thread for that" and then I start posting about how unfair it is I can't talk about warlock related activities in my neighborhood.

That's such bullshit there's not a person here who wouldn't want to hear about your warlock troubles.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Pellisworth posted:

Especially with boomers aging we're going to need more doctors so at some point we'll have to significantly increase MD graduation rates and doctors will take a pay cut.

Seems likely that they're going to try and use nurse practitioners and physician assistants to fill those gaps instead, probably with help from telemedicine-based supervision.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

L-Boned posted:

Trump will be a two term president. I'm amazed how many people are in denial of that. They are too busy (attempting to) assassinate congressman, wearing pussy hats, shooting cops, attacking free speech rallies, and running over the ten commandments (which I agree shouldn't have been on public property, but it's a bad look). Oh, and pouting like middle schoolers in D&D threads.

Did you register on 9/11 just to wait 16 years to post this?

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Oracle posted:

If you want a laugh, go back and watch the Abscam hidden videos. The FBI agents playing the Arabs look like the middle eastern version of Amos and Andy.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

BiggerBoat posted:

Did you register on 9/11 just to wait 16 years to post this?

Can't you pay to have that as your regdate?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The GOP should be commended for managing to bring so many Americans together on one side of an issue.

The internet makes it seem like this isn't the case, and that's a problem. More people need to actively speak up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lightning Lord posted:

Can't you pay to have that as your regdate?

That makes it worse.

• Locked thread