Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Apparently clocks are all over the place, so unsurprisingly it's either TDP throttled or thermally throttling before it can properly run into its power limit.

Fiji Lake-X Emergency Edition.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
We need to see the gpu clock speed over 2 hours graph

eames
May 9, 2009

4K Freesync monitor owners rejoice! If you crossfire two of these they may break the recommended 3DMark score for a 4K Gaming PC.

People suspect it is thermal throttling. Not too surprising if it really uses 375W with a reference blower.

reddit posted:

"HE SAID THAT HE MAY OR MAY NOT BE POWER LIMITED DUE TO 550W PSU He said the clock was bouncing around a bit"

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Yeah if the comparison to overclocked Fiji is anything, it's throttling extremely hard. Fiji should never even come close to this thing but here we are.

I'm almost positive AMD had issues with bringing Vega up, such that they've had to delay and delay for a proper launch. But they also have investors, and so they need to meet those investors halfway. Introducing Vega FE, most definitely a H2 launch for Vega! No, this totally won't kneecap us with our extremely weird behavior about Vega, not at all.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wouldn't the system just crash if the PSU is being overloaded?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I mean it's a reference cooler in a tiny case also. Cooler looks even worse than the nvidia FE cooler.

eames
May 9, 2009

repiv posted:

Wouldn't the system just crash if the PSU is being overloaded?

Yeah if anything an overloaded PSU would cause instabilities, not throttling. The throttling certainly seems thermal related, the fact that they're offering a watercooled version should have been enough of a hint.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

pros:
i like the look of the reference cooler, it looks less stupid lightup boy racery than most bidcards. not like it matters that much cause who still has windows on their cases lol

cons:
like, the rest of it. all of the rest of it.

eames
May 9, 2009

Cygni posted:

pros:
i like the look of the reference cooler, it looks less stupid lightup boy racery than most bidcards. not like it matters that much cause who still has windows on their cases lol

Yeeeah about that… the card thing has RGB LEDs on the rear side of the PCB that light up depending on REALTIME GPU INTENSITY LEVEL. AMD calls this GPU tach.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

Yeeeah about that… the card thing has RGB LEDs on the rear side of the PCB that light up depending on REALTIME GPU INTENSITY LEVEL. AMD calls this GPU tach.

Some people really like that for some inane reason. 99% of the time the indicator should either be at zero or pegged to 100% and it's going to be blatantly obvious what's going on. If you're fine-tuning your GPU config then you'll be using GPUZ anyway.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Paul MaudDib posted:

Some people really like that for some inane reason. 99% of the time the indicator should either be at zero or pegged to 100% and it's going to be blatantly obvious what's going on. If you're fine-tuning your GPU config then you'll be using GPUZ anyway.

sooo you dont have your gpu on a pcie riser zip tied to the top of your monitor to see your real time GPU TachZ ? how do you even know when to shift

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
That feature might actually be useful for someone with a bunch of Vegas in a mining rig, which is probably where they're going anyways.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Look, I just want to see the lights as my GPU starts clocking into the loving stratosphere when I turn all my monitors on.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I saw someone claim that the poor performance was due to HBM2 "ECC" mode, is that a thing?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Given that they've got a big fat toggle between "pro" and "gaming" drivers in crimson I would have figured that "gaming" wouldn't run the ram in ECC but hey, it's AMD we're talking about here.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Fruit Chewy posted:

Given that they've got a big fat toggle between "pro" and "gaming" drivers in crimson I would have figured that "gaming" wouldn't run the ram in ECC but hey, it's AMD we're talking about here.

This is literally the worst product launch I've seen, and I still can't figure out who the product is for. I wouldn't put it past them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why is r/amd deleting pictures of Vega in someone's box? Are they really going to try to pretend like the card doesn't exist?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Lockback posted:

Why is r/amd deleting pictures of Vega in someone's box? Are they really going to try to pretend like the card doesn't exist?

Honestly it's a little alarming that literally only one dude has gotten the card in the entirety of the tech-internet-scene apparently. Maybe they're trying to paper launch and delay shipment until they can put out another round of drivers that actually function :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lockback posted:

One of the mods works for RTG Marketing.

They basically sold the long-term rehab clinic to the smack dealer.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They've had a thread on it for three hours now though, and it's at the top, so looks like said mod has stopped.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PerrineClostermann posted:

They've had a thread on it for three hours now though, and it's at the top, so looks like said mod has stopped.

Shifts over

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So is that thing actually Vega or more like the compute version of Vega?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

redeyes posted:

So is that thing actually Vega or more like the compute version of Vega?

It's Vega. It's being marketed as a "Semi Pro" version, but it can switch to the gaming drivers/settings and run pretty much identical to what we can expect the gaming version to run at. Same drivers, same silicon, same reference board, everything.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

One of the mods works for RTG Marketing.

They basically sold the long-term rehab clinic to the smack dealer.

Lol AMD denies any such thing happened

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6k0h1f/dude_got_vega_fe_stop_removing_this/djihh7v/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6k1gqe/ramd_and_vega_fe_posts/

One of the mods was just a dumbass overzealous fanboi?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Apparently the posts just got automodded when the posters edited in a link to the site those comments where on because automod doesn't like linking to certain sites or something.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

I would not be surprised. Not as if AMD has been impressing for a few launches now, but I dont think them whispering to a reddit moderator to delete posts about their new card makes more sense than simply a butthurt r/AMD moderator over the Vega card sucking dick

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Vega wasn't going to be a success given the lack of leaks

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

Apparently it was automod going nuts and removing posts that linked to something it shouldn't (is WCCFtech finally banned?), and at some point someone edited their post to include a banned link so it took a couple posts down with 140-odd comments on them

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The first Vega owner has signed off for the day, but another guy has appeared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_ZJI10VxA

We should see more varied benchmarks before long.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

The first Vega owner has signed off for the day, but another guy has appeared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_ZJI10VxA

We should see more varied benchmarks before long.

a missed opportunity, you should have gone with :siren: a second Vega has hit the tower :siren:

It's so loving shameful that this is the first objective third-party look at this uarch, I am sitting here watching some chump unbox a loving GPU and this is what passes for "news" about this release

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It requires a 240mm radiator?

edit: ohh saw something different, never mind.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 28, 2017

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Don Lapre posted:

It requires a 240m radiator?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Measly Twerp posted:

This is literally the worst product launch I've seen, and I still can't figure out who the product is for. I wouldn't put it past them.

X299 see this and looks dejected, it wanted to be the worst launch this year.

eames
May 9, 2009

I wonder if there's somebody out there running a i5-7640X + Vega FE system yet. :allears:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

This is by far the worst GPU launch in recent memory. Even r/AMD is up in arms at how completely garbage it is in every way.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
r/AyyMD is still unfazed though

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

Someone in the Beyond3D thread noticed this in Vegas spec sheet:

Which works out as 4 triangles/clock, exactly the same as Fiji. AMDs previous claim of "up to 11 tris/clock" must have been predicated on developers using their new primitive shaders to cull a shitload of triangles before they hit the geometry engines.

Link to Beyond 3d? Or, can anyone explain how you arrive at the particular number of 6.4 GT/s?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 28, 2017

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Hush Tyler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Link to Beyond 3d? Or, can anyone explain how you arrive at the particular number of 6.4 GT/s?

Full specs with triangle throughput are at at the bottom of this page. It also confirms Vega is a 1/16th rate double precision design, which was only rumoured before.

Beyond3D discussion starts here.