Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
edit: quote for new page

catlord posted:

I like it just fine, but it gets better when you get a couple upgrades on it.

I've heard good things about The Saboteur, I should pick that up at some point. It's less Weird War but still alternate history, right?
The Saboteur was a fun game, doesn't play too well with modern systems though so it may take some tinkering to get it going. Not really Weird War or alternate history, it just uses a very liberal amount of artistic license in how it is portrayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

catlord posted:

I like it just fine, but it gets better when you get a couple upgrades on it.

I've heard good things about The Saboteur, I should pick that up at some point. It's less Weird War but still alternate history, right?
The Saboteur rules, its GTA: Occupied Paris with a moderate amount of Assassins Creed parkour mixed in for flavor. The black and white/color gimmick is slick, and the protagonist is pretty consistently entertaining.

The one thing I really liked about it is it's got a tangible sense of progression - you start out with nothing, and have to gradually acquire gear and abilities as you push back against the Nazis. That means the game ostensibly starts out fairly stealth-heavy where you really have to pick your battles, but as you get better weapons and skills you turn into a Nazi murdering badass.
Also, Nazi outposts and equipment you destroy stay permadead, so it actually feels like you're making headway against the enemy and they're not just constantly respawning.

Also unlike in most open-world games where "the authorities" get pissed if you start murdering innocent civilians, the Nazis in The Saboteur only give a poo poo if you kill Nazis. You can run over Parisian citizens to your heart's content and they won't care. :v:

The game isn't historically accurate by any means, but I wouldn't really call it any more "alternate history" than an Assassin's Creed game. It sacrifices realism and historical accuracy for the sake of gameplay.

Having said that, there is one mission that's basically one big Indiana Jones shout-out where you have to recover some kind of occult relic before the Nazis do. :v:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

edit: quote for new page
The Saboteur was a fun game, doesn't play too well with modern systems though so it may take some tinkering to get it going. Not really Weird War or alternate history, it just uses a very liberal amount of artistic license in how it is portrayed.

I thought I'd heard you liberate Paris like, a year before it happened historically. How's the GOG version, do you know?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The GOG version is much better and people have fixed the map bug. If they can mod fast travel, save anytime, make your rebel allies useful, and more music, it would be amazing. Travel is terribly long for some missions.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BillBear posted:

Death to Spies had you breaking into one to save someone.

Also yeah I'm not sure how you could show off the death camp element, you would be treading very VERY thin ice. The plot would go so loving dark from there.

tomb raider is basically set on an island sized death camp

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Replaying TNO (because it rules) and it just hit me that at the beginning of the Belsec mission, you're straight up heading for the gas chamber.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That level was my least favorite in TNO since there's like 3 parts where BJ survives because of contrived coincidences or does dumb poo poo (that battery bit) and even for a Wolfenstein game it got really dumb. The other reason is that it's a level based around stealth and the AI for it isn't terribly interesting.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

sebmojo posted:

tomb raider is basically set on an island sized death camp

At least the first new Tomb Raider felt like someone took Manhunt and decided to make a much more exploitative snuff film in video game form. Just potential deaths and torture every where you go.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hate the sliding mechanic. It never really feels comfortable to me.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

GUI posted:

That level was my least favorite in TNO since there's like 3 parts where BJ survives because of contrived coincidences or does dumb poo poo (that battery bit) and even for a Wolfenstein game it got really dumb. The other reason is that it's a level based around stealth and the AI for it isn't terribly interesting.

Yeah I noticed that yesterday. It's one of the weaker ones. Also don't like the last part with the big robot. Don't really carries the visual punch to the kills that would make it truly satisfying.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That gameplay section with the robot would've worked better if the environment had been bigger and you could actually hear the firing noise from the mounted gun it has. The sound mixing during that bit is so bad that the thing is drowned out by everything else and feels weak as a result.

I went through the game's voice files around release and found quite a bit of unused fluff dialogue and some more significant stuff. That camp level was seemingly going to have a shoot-out after the robot bit where you'd supposedly have an on-rails section in which you'd shoot from the truck while Set Roth drove and at some point you'd have to get out to clear some Nazi checkpoint. I've thought about making a big compilation with everything (the submarine level originally had another underwater bit) for years but :effort:, so instead have this unused line where BJ talks about his unfortunate use of the word conk after meeting Caroline for the first time.

GUI fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 28, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They missed an opportunity to transfer BJs melee objects like an angry god, to ripping apart Germans the same way. I can obliterate tables, but that black shirt is not getting his head punched off like a Jason execution.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Scalding Coffee posted:

They missed an opportunity to transfer BJs melee objects like an angry god, to ripping apart Germans the same way. I can obliterate tables, but that black shirt is not getting his head punched off like a Jason execution.

They should get the guy who does the execution animations in Titanfall 2.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Replaying this game got me to play Doom in the hope of more completely joyous gunplay. I miss TNO's characters but Doom still owns. I love the level design and the layout of the combat spaces.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Humerus posted:

The first game in the series, and one of the first FPS games in general (please don’t :sperg: about this), Wolfenstein 3D

Wolfenstein 3D is the third game in the series you tit.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

scrubs season six posted:

Wolfenstein 3D is the third game in the series you tit.

Silas Warner, the guy who made the original Castle Wolfenstein games, died without getting much in terms of recognition for creating the series outside of those who remember it on the early 8-bit platforms. I played a ton of it on my C64. Pretty sure Wolfenstein is actually the longest-held game series I've played, as our family had a Commodore years before getting an NES.

He was an interesting person, that's for sure.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does BJ have a moral code against killing women? BJ is allowed to murder prostitutes (of course) in Wolf09, but not the SS secretaries.
I should try the prequel if it really has zombie soldiers.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does BJ have a moral code against killing women? BJ is allowed to murder prostitutes (of course) in Wolf09, but not the SS secretaries.
I should try the prequel if it really has zombie soldiers.

He kills tons of Elite Guards in RTCW.

The Old Blood and RTCW have plenty of zombie killin' action.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And you can kill up to two women in old blood

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In order to defeat BJ...he must become BJ.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Guy Mann posted:

This seems like the start of a good Animorphs cover.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I wanted to replay TNO but when I try to open it in steam, it just flashes a black screen before dropping back to desktop. No error messages and I already tried verifying the game files. Looking online was... less than helpful (Update your video drivers! Roll back your video drivers! Install a DLL! Delete a DLL! Sacrifice a goat to Satan! Sacrifice a goat to God!)

Has anyone else run into this problem and has actual advice to offer? I had TNO running on this system before without having to resort to dark sorcery. My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 7800 series card (7850 I think?), and my CPU is an i5-4590 with 8 gigs of ram, the only thing that changed was I put in a new HDD and reinstalled Windows since then, if that information helps at all.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Randalor posted:

I wanted to replay TNO but when I try to open it in steam, it just flashes a black screen before dropping back to desktop. No error messages and I already tried verifying the game files. Looking online was... less than helpful (Update your video drivers! Roll back your video drivers! Install a DLL! Delete a DLL! Sacrifice a goat to Satan! Sacrifice a goat to God!)

Has anyone else run into this problem and has actual advice to offer? I had TNO running on this system before without having to resort to dark sorcery. My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 7800 series card (7850 I think?), and my CPU is an i5-4590 with 8 gigs of ram, the only thing that changed was I put in a new HDD and reinstalled Windows since then, if that information helps at all.

I had the exact same issue on a similiar cpu and card (I've got a 7790) and updating to beta drivers got the game to run:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-17-6-2-Release-Notes.aspx

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had to watch the Wolfenstein 2009 Let's Play after my saves got corrupted with loading map crashes right before the ending. It was good, but having to leave Veil on all the time because BJ took strolls when he ran, got really tiresome. It could have done away with the hub since it served to pad too much time. Mashing Mire on groups of Black Bloc never got old. It was so much fun opening boxes, bypassing shields, telling ambushes to gently caress off.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I've been going back and playing TNO a bit at a time between all the other games I have that I haven't beaten, and drat is the game fun. I have all the perks unlocked instead of two in the explosive tree. One is the one for throwing back grenades; I was never good at it. The other is the one for killing five enemies in like five seconds with dual rocket launchers. Don't know why I don't have that one, since it sounds like a piece of cake. My problem now is that I'm early enough in the game yet where ammo isn't dropping for the under-barrel rocket launchers.

Either way, nothing is more fun than killing literal, red armband wearing, Hitler worshiping Nazis. Killing Nazis is something that runs in the blood of America, and they make the best video game antagonists ever.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Werix posted:

One is the one for throwing back grenades; I was never good at it.

Throw your grenades at your feet and then at enemies

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

SinineSiil posted:

Throw your grenades at your feet and then at enemies

:doh: I'll have to try that, if I can get the timing right and not blow my rear end up.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If you can't do that then the third level (the Nazi checkpoint after the Asylum) has a part where you can farm it right after clearing the first area and seeing Grandma shotgun one of the Nazis in the face. Stand right outside the doorway and one will eventually throw a grenade. You can get most grenade/explosive related perks there since there's maybe 6 enemies or so inside the room.

TNO doesn't have too many sections where enemies will start throwing grenades at you, TOB had the AI tweaked and they love it on Uber difficulty though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Mann posted:

Mecha Bjitler shall crush the pathetic Resistance!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Make sure to turn the difficulty down for the grenade challenges if you're on Uber or something, since enemies can take more than one explosion sometimes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I only just realized where the title "The New Colossus" comes from. It's the actual title of the the Statue of Liberty poem that BJ quotes at end of The New Order.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Entropic posted:

I only just realized where the title "The New Colossus" comes from. It's the actual title of the the Statue of Liberty poem that BJ quotes at end of The New Order.

Can't wait for the Mecha-Statue of Liberty level :hellyeah:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Also I just found out General Deathshead is voiced by this guy

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
You drat right, even though he'll always be Howlin' Mad Murdock to me.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Entropic posted:

Also I just found out General Deathshead is voiced by this guy

What? What? :psyduck: I don't think there are any two people, fictional or otherwise, who I would less associate with each other.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That is what happens when you bully Starfleet officers...

A cautionary tail for all.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I like these games but I'm pretty sure the developers have some weird fetish for having BJ get brutally maimed, then shrug it off like it's nothing and get right back to the killing.

It happens like a half dozen times in TNO. At this point if BJ got decapitated I wouldn't even blink, I'd just wait for the head to start biting Nazis.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

the black husserl posted:

I like these games but I'm pretty sure the developers have some weird fetish for having BJ get brutally maimed, then shrug it off like it's nothing and get right back to the killing.

It happens like a half dozen times in TNO. At this point if BJ got decapitated I wouldn't even blink, I'd just wait for the head to start biting Nazis.
He's got regenerating health.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

the black husserl posted:

They do address this in old blood. Every wound BJ takes stays on his body for the rest of the campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm waiting for the reveal that BJ was part of some captain America super-soldier-serum experiment. It would explain a lot.