Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bullet-Book Tony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

tastefully arranged labia posted:

What the gently caress did I just read

Seriously what the gently caress did I just read

Welp glad I only read a few paragraphs and decided to save the rest for later.

Redneck nazgul is there any particular reason you decided to post this here?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Did anyone watch Cast Away?

There was a part where Tom Hanks gets a cavity. In the absence of dental care, he knocks his own tooth out.

That's the kind of self medical care you could expect if you had to eke out an existence after nuclear war. Assuming, of course, that you don't just poison yourself eating something you shouldn't.

I like living in the 21st century. I like electricity and air conditioning and plumbing and potable water.

If the balloon goes up, I don't think I'd want to survive.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just put yourself at the center of a bunch of military bases.

It's nice in Colorado Springs.

NORAD was mothballed years ago. It was even mentioned in the Modern Marvels episode on bunkers. But I live close enough to Peterson, Schreiver, and Carson that it wouldn't matter anyhow.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I dunno why y'all think about nuclear war this much. Like, maybe it's because I wasn't even born until after the Cold War was well over, but if it happens then everyone's hosed oh well, no point in ruminating on it. The fake broadcasts really don't do anything for me either, except laughing at video of weird clouds being used as a stand-in for airbursts.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Arc Light posted:

There was a part where Tom Hanks gets a cavity. In the absence of dental care, he knocks his own tooth out.

That's the kind of self medical care you could expect if you had to eke out an existence after nuclear war. Assuming, of course, that you don't just poison yourself eating something you shouldn't.

I like living in the 21st century. I like electricity and air conditioning and plumbing and potable water.

Sounds like someone didnt have the PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY to stock up on tooth paste.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

I dunno why y'all think about nuclear war this much. Like, maybe it's because I wasn't even born until after the Cold War was well over, but if it happens then everyone's hosed oh well, no point in ruminating on it. The fake broadcasts really don't do anything for me either, except laughing at video of weird clouds being used as a stand-in for airbursts.

Because Monty would be caught in the crossfire and that's just heartbreaking :smith:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

NORAD was mothballed years ago. It was even mentioned in the Modern Marvels episode on bunkers. But I live close enough to Peterson, Schreiver, and Carson that it wouldn't matter anyhow.

Cheyenne Mountain isn't used any more?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

CommieGIR posted:

You'll probably be the bartender.

I'm Northeast of Atlanta, behind a good hill, so unless I get a direct strike, I'm just taking a radioactive bath.

I live like two miles from the airport, at least it'll be over quick.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Because the chance of it happening, between our Idiot President and Russia's Warlord Judo Goblin, rose from .001% to .002% in the last six months or so.

That video is good because it makes you realize that the media's reporting on an escalation to a nuclear conflict will sound the exact same as the reporting we listen to every day.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Crazycryodude posted:

The Cold War screwed up everyone who lived through it.

Almost as bad as 911 screwed so many people up

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Arc Light posted:

That's the kind of self medical care you could expect if you had to eke out an existence after nuclear war.

Sounds like the sort of healthcare you all can expect after the Koch brothers turbo gently caress the USA.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

NORAD is not mothballed, and neither is Cheyenne Mountain (not entirely, anyway).

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Zeris posted:

That video is good because it makes you realize that the media's reporting on an escalation to a nuclear conflict will sound the exact same as the reporting we listen to every day.

Everyone is "concerned" about this "serious situation".

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

cowboy elvis posted:

Cheyenne Mountain isn't used any more?

Nah they use it still. They did move a bunch of stuff into regular facilities a few years back, but went back into Cheyenne in 2015 due to the fear of EMP threats.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-threat-to-melt-the-electric-grid-1430436815

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Ironic that all the fundamentalists in Colorado Springs have so many SS-18 Satans pointed at them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

The Cold War screwed up everyone who lived through it.

Almost as bad as 911 screwed so many people up

Did it really change people that drastically? It made going through airports a bitch and a half, but from what my parents tell me unless you where flying charter or first class airports/flying always sucked.

I mean the cold war gave us punk rock and zombie movies, what'd 9/11 do except make GOP voters more broke brained over people who fail the paper test.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...m=nprnews&utm_c

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Good.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DELIVER THE wu-tang TAPES!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I'll see you and raise you

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Last I heard about the trial they couldn't settle on a jury because every potential jurist already had a negative opinion about him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

KildarX posted:

Did it really change people that drastically? It made going through airports a bitch and a half, but from what my parents tell me unless you where flying charter or first class airports/flying always sucked.

I mean the cold war gave us punk rock and zombie movies, what'd 9/11 do except make GOP voters more broke brained over people who fail the paper test.

Trump was a liberal Democrat before 9/11.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Haha, he screwed over his own broker for 7 million when he hosed up a short.

What a way to run a hedge fund, shorting when you have no capital.....

Actually that whole article is hilarious, "he offered 100k for tips on the killing of DNC staffer Seth Rich"

At least he's built for prison.

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 28, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
His only crime is rubbing everyone's face into what bullshit pharmaceutical companies routinely practice.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Linking from that article was this gem:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/28/534697858/arkansas-ten-commandments-monument-lasted-less-than-24-hours

Some hero is driving around America smashing his car in to '10 Commandment' statues.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

KildarX posted:

DELIVER THE wu-tang TAPES!

He did, I watched it live

E:

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/28/534697858/arkansas-ten-commandments-monument-lasted-less-than-24-hours

Some hero is driving around America smashing his car in to '10 Commandment' statues.

Hahaha "The AP says it remains unclear if the suspect in each incident was the same Michael T Reed of Van Buren, AR"

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 28, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

We should all aspire to be so brave and selfless as this man.

"Oh, my goodness. Freedom!" :black101:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

KildarX posted:

It gave the far right the veil legitimacy they never should have been able to get back after WWII.

Also the era after 9/11 sucked in just about every way possible. Extreme paranoia, Nu-Metal, middle school... That last one might not be Bin Laden's fault.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Two Finger posted:

Welp glad I only read a few paragraphs and decided to save the rest for later.

Redneck nazgul is there any particular reason you decided to post this here?

It is a famous, excellent, and completely self-explanatory apocalyptic sci-fi horror short story.

By all means do not read it if you do not want to be horrified, but no one should find it confusing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

KildarX posted:

It propelled us into Iraq. I'm convinced the support for Iraq wouldn't have been as strong had 9/11 not happened. It was the perfect storm for Bush Jr. to finish what his daddy couldn't with a lot of support.

And the coalition invading in 03 led to a lot of cool stuff in the following 14 years.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Time wants Trump to remove the fake magazines

quote:

Time magazine has asked the Trump Organisation to remove a framed front cover featuring Donald Trump from several of its golf clubs after it was proven to be fake.

[...]

The framed fake Trump cover was hung in two prominent positions at Mr Trump’s golf resort in Doral, Florida and in the member’s dining room at the Trump National Golf Club near Washington DC.

It was at the same course that a plaque was unveiled overlooking the Potomac River, setting out the bloody details of a Civil War battle apparently fought on the spot. However, historians say no such event ever took place.

[...]

There was no response from the Trump Organization to the use of the fake Time cover.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, a White House spokesman, told the Washington Post: “We couldn’t comment on the decor at Trump Golf clubs one way or another.”

A Democratic representative mocked Mr Trump by creating his own fake Time cover:

https://twitter.com/GerryConnolly/status/879809432896626688

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Doc Hawkins posted:

It is a famous, excellent, and completely self-explanatory apocalyptic sci-fi horror short story.

By all means do not read it if you do not want to be horrified, but no one should find it confusing.

The problem I have with all sci fi is that every author, even the women, can't seem to resist a chance to write about pedophilia and necrophilia!

quote:

Where was the decorative fauna he usually enjoyed in Miami, the parade of young girls in crotch-tight pastel jeans? The flounces, boots, wild hats and hairdos and startling expanses of newly-tanned skin, the brilliant fabrics barely confining the bob of breasts and buttocks? Not here—but wait; looking closely, he glimpsed two young faces hidden under unbecoming parkas, their bodies draped in bulky nondescript skirts.

quote:

At length, he became aware of body need and sought a toilet. The place was empty, except for what he took to be a heap of clothes blocking the door of the far stall. Then he saw the red-brown pool in which it lay, and the bluish mounds of bare, thin buttocks. He backed out, not breathing, and fled into the nearest crowd, knowing he was not the first to have done so.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

even star trek has weird episodes with hosed up pregnancies. Like every single single run of star trek has someone getting pregnant against their will

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill;

quote:

I think a curse should rest on me — because I love this poo poo. I know it's smashing and shattering the lives of thousands every moment — and yet — I can't help it — I enjoy every second of it

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Arc Light posted:

OTOH, if you had a generator and a computer in your bunker you could easily knock out your Steam backlog.

until your thirty(?) days are up and it makes you connect to the servers before you can play again.

"That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was—was all the time I needed…!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MA-Horus posted:

To paraphrase Winston Churchill;

this is my exact line of thinking when i jerk off

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Vengarr posted:

OTOH, if you had a generator and a computer in your bunker you could easily knock out your Steam backlog.

until your thirty(?) days are up and it makes you connect to the servers before you can play again.

"That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was—was all the time I needed…!

with no central server to update your clock, couldn't you just go into your bios and reset back to the first of the thirty days since your last check in?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
June Current Events: Setting up your Steam account for the post-apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

"Michael Tate Reed II stated in a letter that his psychotic breaks led to getting inspiration from a Dracula movie, thinking Michael Jackson’s spirit was in meat, believing he was the incarnation of an occult leader and attempting to contact Lucifer’s high priestess he called Gwyneth Paltrow."

“The voice had told me if I didn’t stop the cars, people would die. The voice told me the cars were all carrying meat that was infected with the spirit of Michael Jackson and it was a killer virus,” he wrote.

Reed was to have a monthly shot for his antipsychotic treatment, but it was $900 after insurance benefits were applied. He was able to get two shots but then could no longer pay. He tried to stay stable with the therapy and the other medications.

• Locked thread