Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Fair point on the comedy

As for runtime I agree that there should be one main piece, but rather than continuously doing episodes that are 35 or 40 minutes just accept a whole hour show and say a few more minutes on the main topic and spend a few more minutes at the front and back on current events. There are easily enough stories every week that the "last week" portion can pull from and still have fresh material without straining the investigative branch at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

"A sudden and mysterious lack of spiders," is one of the funniest things I've heard in a good while.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skippy McPants posted:

"A sudden and mysterious lack of spiders," is one of the funniest things I've heard in a good while.

It's actually pretty frightening, as anyone who has trapped a spider in a jar and carried it outside to set it free only to discover it's no longer in the jar when they get there can testify. Where did it go? Is it on me? Is it in my clothes? JESUS CHRIST NO

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's actually pretty frightening, as anyone who has trapped a spider in a jar and carried it outside to set it free only to discover it's no longer in the jar when they get there can testify. Where did it go? Is it on me? Is it in my clothes? JESUS CHRIST NO

Just relax and enjoy the fact that you have a spider-buddy. I occasionally have one that lives in the corner of my window and I like to greet them in the morning. :3:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Eat poo poo, Bill Maher.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can't understand how any human can stand listening to Trump talk, because that's how he always sounds, rambling on, and on, passing in and out of coherency. He takes roundabout paths to simple points and obfuscates any point he was trying to make, yet he always says just enough to directly admit to some crime in the process. Literally a blithering idiot.

Vaccines are important, but I feel like most attempts to convince anti-vaxxers of why they are important and not at all dangerous ultimately fall on deaf ears.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can't understand how any human can stand listening to Trump talk, because that's how he always sounds, rambling on, and on, passing in and out of coherency. He takes roundabout paths to simple points and obfuscates any point he was trying to make, yet he always says just enough to directly admit to some crime in the process. Literally a blithering idiot.

Vaccines are important, but I feel like most attempts to convince anti-vaxxers of why they are important and not at all dangerous ultimately fall on deaf ears.

I think people mistake his rambling inanity for some kind of "realness". Like it's so obviously non-scripted that it MUST be from the heart. Never mind that Trump is a pathological liar and doesn't need a script to spew bullshit or anything.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If you listen to Ivanka talk, you'll realize that rambling nonsense is just the Trump Brand of speech. Though she prefers to liberally sprinkle in architect all but nonsensically rather than use Daddy's preferred random adjectives.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gyges posted:

If you listen to Ivanka talk, you'll realize that rambling nonsense is just the Trump Brand of speech. Though she prefers to liberally sprinkle in architect all but nonsensically rather than use Daddy's preferred random adjectives.

And she always speaks in that soft, lilting, barely-audible "women should be seen but not heard" tone that's likely a byproduct of being raised by a vain, preening oval office of a man who likely talked over everyone *constantly* because HIS voice is the only one that matters, and/or it's some personal ~business tactic~ of "if I speak really softly people won't expect I'm loving them over or lying to them because I'll appear so delicate and girly tee hee."

-----

Also, since I don't feel like making a new post...why hasn't anyone done a study to see if the rise in autism is linked to phenomenally loving stupid things like putting dangerous amounts of sugar into baby food and infant formula? That's the one 'x-factor' that didn't exist 50+ years ago (during the heyday of above-ground nuclear testing and leaded gasoline), and I'd imagine massive doses of sugar during that first two years could have devastating consequences to early brain and nervous system development. Of course, anti-vaxxer parents have a cognitive dissonance level so evolved that the notion that it was their lovely shopping habits that caused little Aidan or Hunter's 'specialness' will be immediately dismissed.

And if a link was proven between refined sugar in baby food/formula and autism, the resultant class action lawsuits would *decimate* "Big Food" and make any pharmaceutical or tobacco company settlement look small in comparison.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 27, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Isn't the rise in autism almost entirely due to population growth, popular awareness, and refining the process of diagnosis to properly label people across the spectrum instead of just the most/more severe and noticeable cases?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Azhais posted:

Yes, sadistic teachers everywhere force Catcher in the Rye and Grapes of Wrath on unsuspecting innocent children. Generations of children have been subjected to the cruelty of these so called "American Classics".

Neither of these books were on the level of torture that was Wuthering Heights and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I swear AP English is just a program designed to make children hate reading.

IRQ posted:

If you take Piers Morgan back.

I think they actually already have, I saw his potato-looking rear end as a co-host on some morning show when I was in London a couple weeks ago.

tsob posted:

I like how Murray called John Oliver an elitist and noted that he has a $10 million apartment in New York, like he himself is a man of the people who lives in a modest abode. Never mind that a quick Google shows he has at least two houses in seperate states, both of which look like they're worth a few million and of which it's easily conceivable both are worth more than $10 million apiece, depending on the size of the grounds, location etc.

You're talking about a TV station whose viewers think Trump is a "man of the people"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Isn't the rise in autism almost entirely due to population growth, popular awareness, and refining the process of diagnosis to properly label people across the spectrum instead of just the most/more severe and noticeable cases?

Yeah it's pretty much the same story for most mental illnesses. It's not that they're actually more COMMON than they used to be - they're just being diagnosed more frequently. There are tons of historical examples of depression but "depression" as a concept didn't exist so they just referred to it as "melancholy temperament" or such. Autism itself was only formally defined in the late 1930's and most of what we really regard as modern mental health practices are only a few decades old at most.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gyges posted:

This, for sure. I imagine high-functioning autism was considered "being strange" before diagnostic methods shifted.

Though, isn't there some statistical suggestion that higher parental age (of either parent) correlates to a higher incidence of autism? That'd also be a more recent phenomenon, people having children further into their 30's, 40's, or later.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xealot posted:

This, for sure. I imagine high-functioning autism was considered "being strange" before diagnostic methods shifted.

Your sweet baby child turned quiet and unresponsive overnight? Must've been swapped with a changeling by the fairies!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Xealot posted:

Though, isn't there some statistical suggestion that higher parental age (of either parent) correlates to a higher incidence of autism? That'd also be a more recent phenomenon, people having children further into their 30's, 40's, or later.

If they were high-functioning, they were 'eccentric' or 'strange,' possibly 'reclusive.' If they were low-functioning, maybe they were sent to a convent/monestary/whatever, maybe they were put out on the street, maybe they were beaten until they learned to get along, maybe they were 'resting comfortably at the country estate.' Maybe they died when the trepanation to let the evil spirits out went horribly wrong.

Bill Bryson's 'Short History of Nearly Everything' talks about a bunch of Victorian scientists that we clearly would describe as autistic these days; one who would sit in the corner at parties, and the only way to engage him was to 'happen' to be standing near him, and start musing one's theories and ideas 'to yourself' and hope he deigned to respond. There was one story, can't remember if it was the same guy or not, who was 'painfully reclusive' to the point that one day he opened his front door expecting a buddy, saw it was a mailman, panicked, and ran off, and had to be coaxed back inside over several hours.

Similarly, nobody dies of 'old age' or 'consumption' any more.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Your sweet baby child turned quiet and unresponsive overnight? Must've been swapped with a changeling by the fairies!

Gotta be careful about those changelings, they started the Dominion War...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the fact that people don't really understand the distinction between higher rates of diagnosis vs. higher rates of occurrence is at the root of a lot of quackery and general distrust of modern science, and I wish it was something they taught better in schools.

Like a classic example is that cancer is much more common than it used to be historically. Because of that people flip out and try to point to things like GMOs or fluoride in the water or whatever other modern thing as causing it and try to spin that into some "back to nature" argument... when in fact it's just that we've done such a good job of eliminating OTHER causes of death that cancer is basically all that's left. The fact that more people get cancer is a GOOD thing, because it means that more people are living long enough to get it (and yes, obviously any individual getting cancer is not a good thing, I mean this more in the broad sense of "it's better that people are dying of cancer in their 70's than dying of typhoid in their 30's).

Mental health is a similar thing - medical science used to more or less exclusively focus on diseases that would straight up kill you, like cholera or tb. But we've beaten those now, and so we're putting more attention on "quality of life" conditions, like mental health or chronic conditions. It's not that more people have them now, it's just that now we're paying attention to them.

I feel like this kind of misunderstanding of statistical trends is where mistrust of vaccines comes from. The fact that vaccines became more prevalent at the same time as mental health diagnoses isn't a coincidence, but it doesn't mean what people think it means.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The sad part is the vaccines-autism link is completely based on "FAKE SCIENCE" and yet still persists after being thoroughly debunked. Sure, autism isn't a great thing to have but any vaccine-related stigma needs to be stamped out vigorously rather than coddled with things like "vaccine spacing."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Atomizer posted:

The sad part is the vaccines-autism link is completely based on "FAKE SCIENCE" and yet still persists after being thoroughly debunked. Sure, autism isn't a great thing to have but any vaccine-related stigma needs to be stamped out vigorously rather than coddled with things like "vaccine spacing."

I, for one, believe anything Jenny McCarthy says without hesitation

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's not really much to the anti-vaccine movement, it's just people going crazy and superstitious about scary hospitals and taking the advice of scary conspiracy theorists during a time when they're probably panicking about new responsibilities already. Also a lot of idiots parroting idiots.

It doesn't even seem like there's a lot of people making money off of the garbage nonsense, just a couple jerks selling books.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

There's also another angle of the "vaccines cause autism" thing: even if they did... so? It's just autism. So your kid won't look people in the eye and will be super interested in a subject! Oh no, how awful. I rather my child be dead, then that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not just medical stuff.

I overheard my grandmother talking my to brother in law's grandmother about some news story and they just went on and on about how things are going down the tubes and how violent society is now and so forth.

Nevermind it's just the fact that there's more news coverage now and violence and crime in general is declining and has been for awhile.

Ditto for those people who think modern cars are unsafe because they crumple or shatter in an accident.

Also those who decry the morals of the young generation when things like teen pregnancy, drug use, and alcohol use are all in decline.

They all cherry pick things to reinforce their world view while ignoring hard evidence.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

quote:

The complaint also said Murray’s website “was hacked and inundated with the message incited by Defendants: ‘Eat poo poo, Bob.’” And it says Murray’s health grew worse after Oliver’s show aired, “likely further reducing his already limited life expectancy due to his Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.”

now this is the kind of activism i can get behind

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Venuz Patrol posted:

now this is the kind of activism i can get behind

Honestly he shouldn't have taken the advice and eaten poo poo, he had to have known it wouldn't help with his condition. Silly old coal baron.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm glad this show influences things beyond just talking to the informed audience. the people watching. He's mostly preaching to the choir but the little campaigns he inspires is fantastic.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel sorry for the parents who are desperately trying to do what is best for their children. The people who sell this bullshit on the other hand are irredeemable bastards.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

quote:

The complaint also said Murray’s website “was hacked and inundated with the message incited by Defendants: ‘Eat poo poo, Bob.’” And it says Murray’s health grew worse after Oliver’s show aired, “likely further reducing his already limited life expectancy due to his Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.”

Did anyone else look at this and read, "Idiotic Pulmonary Fibrosis?"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tarlibone posted:

Did anyone else look at this and read, "Idiotic Pulmonary Fibrosis?"

Yeah, I had to read it three times before I could get rid of the image of his lawyer shaking his head and quietly but venomously calling Pulmonary Fibrosis idiotic.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

There's also another angle of the "vaccines cause autism" thing: even if they did... so? It's just autism. So your kid won't look people in the eye and will be super interested in a subject! Oh no, how awful. I rather my child be dead, then that.

Dude, autism is more than that. There are tons of kids with autism that can't speak. Tons of kids with autism that play with their own poo poo. Tons of kids with autism who will pull their pants off and start jacking off wherever they happen to be. Of course vaccines don't cause autism but autism isn't a "so what" kind of diagnosis. These people are considered patients in facilities like special schools and residential programs their whole life. Autism is more than just the aspire kids you get exposed to on a regular basis.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Any time someone feels the need to interject "but..." into a sentence, you can safely assume they're about to lie about the previous half of the sentence.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

coyo7e posted:

Any time someone feels the need to interject "but..." into a sentence, you can safely assume they're about to lie about the previous half of the sentence.

If that's directed at my response, did you actually read it? It wasn't an "Vaccines don't cause autism, but... they actually do" thing at all. How else am I supposed to say "You're wrong about autism but correct about vaccines not being the cause?"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

If that's directed at my response, did you actually read it? It wasn't an "Vaccines don't cause autism, but... they actually do" thing at all. How else am I supposed to say "You're wrong about autism but correct about vaccines not being the cause?"

I think he was referring to the segment itself and Trump and others usage of "I'm not anti-vax, but-"

It's kind of a general rule of thumb that if you begin any statement by declaring that you are not a thing, it's because the rest of the statement is absolutely going to confirm that you are that thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its like a cognitive dissonance catchphrase. "I'm not racist but..." Well that's you pretty much saying "I know the thing I'm about to say will be super racist or at least make me sound like a super racist but I swear I'm not." It hurts your case.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Its like a cognitive dissonance catchphrase. "I'm not racist but..." Well that's you pretty much saying "I know the thing I'm about to say will be super racist or at least make me sound like a super racist but I swear I'm not." It hurts your case.

Archer did the "don't want to sound racist" bit best.

"I don't want to sound racist, but—"
"But you're gonna power through it!"

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

I, for one, believe anything Jenny McCarthy says without hesitation

The best part is that she became an anti-vaxxer idiot and then we eventually learned her kid was mis-diagnosed with autism in the first place. Oops!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

The best part is that she became an anti-vaxxer idiot and then we eventually learned her kid was mis-diagnosed with autism in the first place. Oops!

I don't know much about her but I am assuming by this point she was in too deep to just go "lol my bad", and so decided to double down in maintaining that she is still correct in her beliefs.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 28, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know much about her but I am assuming by this point she was in too deep to just go "lol my bad", and so decided to double down in maintaining that she is still correct in her beliefs.

Not having access to Jim Carrey's money anymore and only having one real steady gig each year doing NYE coverage (aside from her and her husband's terrible A&E shows) means she's really dependent on speaker's fees.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Actually the problem was she had an Indigo Child so of course the normie tests were uncalibrated for his particular biorhythms.

Or some poo poo like that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Actually the problem was she had an Indigo Child so of course the normie tests were uncalibrated for his particular biorhythms.

And that's why I only use e-meters that are made in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GutBomb posted:

It was part of a segment. Specifically, the quack autism vaccine dude, iirc. Either the politician or the doctor said it in a way that made it very obvious they were using it as a get-out-of-what-i-just-said-free card. FWIW I didn't notice gutabomb's post however, he also used "but" to negate the first half of one of his sentences about autism not being caused by vacciens BUT it's a still serious health problem that causes parents to stress out (which is basically giving a free pass to peolpe overreacting and acting stupidly)!

If you see many conservative politicians in action, they will often use "but" like a bludgeoning instrument all the time when they want to make a wink-wink-nudge-nudge point to bolster their arguments.. "I'm not a scientist, but I don't see how global warming can be caused by humans," or "I'm not an expert, but I don't see how pitting mantis shrimp against each other in a shrimp fight club, has any military applications" (when there's actually a super high strength polymer maerial which was recently patented for use in aircraft, which came from investigating how mantis shrimp tail plates won't break under the absolutelly insane amounts of pressure and repeated strikes they receive durting fights, up to and including somehow ignoring cavitation pressure and degradation) well, then loving ask a scientist, dipshit!

STAC Goat posted:

Robert Anton Wilson has a lot of thought excercises about removing certain words from your vocabulary, such as absolute statements where it'd be more correct and safer to say "in my experince, this seems to be-" instead of "this is -" and the word "but", because when you use "but" you are basically shutting your mind off from the previous thing you said, which is obviously not going to hold up, and as was mentioned, is a huge cognitive dissonance as well as a good way to just say any old crap and then hand-wave it away. The recommended alternative to "but" is "however," because you have to think a little harder about what you're going to say to fully qualify the statement.

GutBomb posted:

You say something like "they're almost certainly incorrect about the link bewteen autism and vaccinations however, I do understand that it's a trigger point for many parents who are searching for an explanation of why their child is not a perfect snowflake, which could lead to overreactinos or incorrect reactions or onus of blame being placed on the wrong thing."

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 28, 2017

• Locked thread