Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the dps queues were absolutely not this bad for HW, but it's not like people were clamoring for machinist. they added two of the remaining seriously iconic final fantasy jobs in this expansion and they were both dps, at the same time making a lot of tank and healer changes that have probably driven a decent amount away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's also just really miserable leveling the MSQ as a healer or tank when you see a DPS next to you 4 shot a mob. You make it up in queue time at least.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I firmly believe that the two new classes could have been both tanks (or even a tank and healer) that were a blast to play and DPS queues would still be obnoxious. That's just the nature of the game imo

Before Heavensward released, my queues for 2.x MSQ dungeons and trials as a SMN were like 5-15 minutes. Unless you're arguing that Stormblood's release specifically brought more DPS players back to the game, instead of just pushing more players to DPS instead of tank or healer, I really doubt queues would be nearly as bad if SAM and RDM had been a tank and a healer or something.

I mean, maybe there's another explanation for my relatively short DPS queues before Stormblood released (lots of people doing the 2.x MSQ all at once or something?), I dunno, but it really does seem like the balance shifted noticeably as soon as RDM and SAM were available. I think things will even out a bit in the long term--after all, some players really do specifically love tanking or healing and will want to return to that after trying out one of the new DPS jobs for a while--but to say that adding two new tank/healer jobs wouldn't have any effect on queue times for DPS seems like a really shaky conclusion to me. And it might still be more lopsided in favor of DPS in the long term, given how unpopular some of the tank/healer job changes have been, or the possibility that some tank or healer players switch to maining SAM or RDM for the remainder of the expansion.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah I always planned to do tank 2nd since the damage is already low, and now without the vit scaling it would take forever to get through some of the quests.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

They should make running a dungeon as a role in need give an exp pearl at the end, which is an item you can use to give yourself ~20% of a level in exp. That way, I can queue as tank, but still level my DPS alts. Everyone is happy.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Philonius posted:

They should make running a dungeon as a role in need give an exp pearl at the end, which is an item you can use to give yourself ~20% of a level in exp. That way, I can queue as tank, but still level my DPS alts. Everyone is happy.

this is a good idea

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Philonius posted:

That would be cool. Either that or have queuing as a role in need gives a passive, stacking increase to your Armory bonus that resets every week and maybe stacks up to 50% or something so your Armory bonus becomes 150% pre-60 (or whatever makes the math work out to be a useful incentive). If you're leveling a DPS job, queuing a few times as a tank or healer (whatever's in need right now) will make everything you do on that DPS job give you noticeably more experience for the whole week.

The "experience pearl" idea is probably a lot simpler, though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've been debating levelling a tank so I can queue as something other then dps once in awhile - Is there any tank that's regarded as the easiest to play? Even though I'm pretty familiar with the game at this point, and I tanked a ton in WoW, tanking somehow seems way more intimidating in this game so it seems best to start off with whatever has the least complexity until I get the hang of managing threat & cooldowns.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the dps queues were absolutely not this bad for HW, but it's not like people were clamoring for machinist. they added two of the remaining seriously iconic final fantasy jobs in this expansion and they were both dps, at the same time making a lot of tank and healer changes that have probably driven a decent amount away.

If I had been playing at the time HW dropped I would have probably been pretty excited for Machinist. I've always liked that archetype in MMOs, although I might have preferred it to be Gunner, since thats a job I like in FFTA. But by the time i had slogged through all the 2.0 MSQ the last thing I wanted to do was do level from 30 to 50 so I stuck to BLM.

...and is Samurai really all that iconic of a Final Fantasy Job? I mean, I don't doubt the idea is popular, I just don't remember it being a job option in the FF games I've played.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Philonius posted:

I would like that. The BRD I'm trying to level would like it too - I'm no fan of PotD at all, <60 PvP isn't so hot either, and all queues are ridiculous. But I have to level it SOMEHOW :suicide:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Changing Dark Knight, Astrologian, and Machinist to start at 50 like Samurai and Red Mage do might be good, too. Obviously Machinist starting at 50 wouldn't matter much for queues, but giving people a tank or healer job that they can skip 1-50 on wouldn't be a bad thing.

Oxyclean posted:

I've been debating levelling a tank so I can queue as something other then dps once in awhile - Is there any tank that's regarded as the easiest to play? Even though I'm pretty familiar with the game at this point, and I tanked a ton in WoW, tanking somehow seems way more intimidating in this game so it seems best to start off with whatever has the least complexity until I get the hang of managing threat & cooldowns.

Paladin seems to be regarded as the easiest and (depending on who you ask) most fun tank in Stormblood. Though I hear Dark Knight is pretty easy now, too, but doesn't get truly fun until 70.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Paladin right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

...and is Samurai really all that iconic of a Final Fantasy Job? I mean, I don't doubt the idea is popular, I just don't remember it being a job option in the FF games I've played.

Samurai has been a (very strong) job in pretty much every FF with a job system in addition to characters like Cyan and Auron. It's not quite as super-iconic as Red Mage which is exclusive to FF but it's still one of the most popular job classes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, healing is great. I generally like to play a DPS role through story things because it's more "active" and I like to imagine my character's right there on the front lines of big story fights, but I also really enjoy healing so that's always what I level second. Though apparently there's at least one time that Stormblood's story actually recognizes that you're a healer, which is pretty sweet.

That's good, something that annoys be a little in MMOs is acting like the PC has no healing abilities whatsoever when I'm standing there as a resto shaman or medicine operative. Healing people is what I do. It's fun and I love it when it gets frantic and I love rubbing my nose in outpacing actual dps players on the damage charts while I'm at it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just save all your DPS queues for the next expansion pack which will be Dancer (Tank) and Geomancer (Healer).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

samurai as an actual job was only in final fantasies that most people probably haven't played (besides tactics), but most final fantasies have a character who is at least a samurai analog and the job was fairly popular in ffxi.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxyclean posted:

If I had been playing at the time HW dropped I would have probably been pretty excited for Machinist. I've always liked that archetype in MMOs, although I might have preferred it to be Gunner, since thats a job I like in FFTA. But by the time i had slogged through all the 2.0 MSQ the last thing I wanted to do was do level from 30 to 50 so I stuck to BLM.

Samurai is in FF5, 6, Tactics, 10, and 11. Possibly 3? That's just off the top of my head.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Oxyclean posted:

Samurai was a job in Final Fantasy 5 where the whole job system really solidified, and Auron in 10 and Cyan in 6 were both considered Samurai by whatever loose terms define it in this series. Also Samurai was a job in Bravely Default which is basically a Final Fantasy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Samurai is in FF5, 6, Tactics, 10, and 11. Possibly 3? That's just off the top of my head.

It's not in 3 (though Ninja is). It's also in the IZJS version of 12, though that probably doesn't contribute nearly as much to its popularity as its other appearances.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Samurai where it literally says in the game "Samurai" is in uh...5, Tactics, X-2 and uh...*checks wiki* that bad monster hunter knockoff game.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

Dark is the easiest tank now and you have to actively try to mess up. It doesn't really get interesting though until quietus and doesn't get "fun" until bloodspiller.

Pld is only slightly more complex with easy to grasp phases, starts fun and only gets better.

War has the most cooldowns along with some of the best. (Vengeance is probably the best defensuve cooldown in the game) but the playstyle is very clunky right now so it's not something I'd recommend starting out.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
I mean didn't they ask players what new jobs they want and everyone answered back red mage and samurai so there's no denying samurai is popular.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I'm gonna guess samurai is popular because shut-in nerds want to wield HANZO STEEL not because it's an iconic FF staple.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Augus posted:

Third and final part of the Noclip documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONT6fxiu9cw

Is the 5 million subs number mentioned news or just old information?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Just save all your DPS queues for the next expansion pack which will be Dancer (Tank) and Geomancer (Healer).

The next healer class should be frigging Chemist. :colbert:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

And now 5.0 will have the more exotic jobs to pick from since we've gotten a lot of the more contemporary classic staples. Personally I'm gonna hope for Blue Mage, Geomancer, and/or Dancer in a few years time.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

On the subject of samurai, I think their LB3 is pretty dissapointing. Not a single cherry blossom in sight.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i hope we get another class similar to 3.x drk. all of the tanks are extremely straightforward to play, with the slight exception of warrior which isn't really complex as much as it is clunky.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

The next healer class should be frigging Chemist. :colbert:

The AST post-60 quests are about introducing Geomancers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

The AST post-60 quests are about introducing Geomancers.

They still should be Chemists. :colbert:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Velthice posted:

Dark is the easiest tank now and you have to actively try to mess up.

Is it? I haven't played it in SB yet but in HW, it was definitely possible to gently caress yourself and run out of MP by mistake if you weren't paying attention. I've heard the class has less buttons to press now, but I was under the impression that MP management was still a thing.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is it? I haven't played it in SB yet but in HW, it was definitely possible to gently caress yourself and run out of MP by mistake if you weren't paying attention. I've heard the class has less buttons to press now, but I was under the impression that MP management was still a thing.

you literally cannot drop darkside, even if you run oom, and darkside no longer drains mana. mana management is still sort of a thing, but i've yet to really had situations where i was running out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry it will be Geomancers and their weapon will be THE BELL

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Dark Knight MP management is a thing but it's honestly not that hard unless you're sitting in grit 24/7. You just have to remember to use your MP-restoring cooldowns and plan your Dark Arts and you'll be fine.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

queue unsynced as an alchemist and just trade people potions in battle

boom, chemist

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you literally cannot drop darkside, even if you run oom, and darkside no longer drains mana. mana management is still sort of a thing, but i've yet to really had situations where i was running out.

Oh, well, that would do it I guess

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

I'm gonna guess samurai is popular because shut-in nerds want to wield HANZO STEEL not because it's an iconic FF staple.

Gonna go with this. SAM is pretty weeaboo, right down to the special attacks that start with the katana sheathed because anime.

Though I play ninja so maybe I shouldn't throw stones.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Saint Freak posted:

Sorry it will be Geomancers and their weapon will be THE BELL

Geomancer healer would literally just be Conjurer though. :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Geomancer should be caster DPS who sets up effect zones that change the spells cast in that zone somehow. Like a combination of Ley Lines and 4.0 Bard songs.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Back when Arcanist splitting off into Scholar and Summoner was novel and hadn't been recognized as a terrible idea balance wise, I liked to imagine Geomancer would've been a DPS job for Conjurer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or maybe introduce Geomancer as a base class taking Scholar, leaving Summoner to the Arcanists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

UHD posted:

Gonna go with this. SAM is pretty weeaboo, right down to the special attacks that start with the katana sheathed because anime.

Though I play ninja so maybe I shouldn't throw stones.

I'm not a particularly weeaboo person but I am pleased as punch that we now finally have a DPS class that uses a dang sword (one and a half if you want to get technical).