Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Bros before hos trophy was for a different GoW game for a far less reprehensible scene and they changed the trophy name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oh, my bad. Then I don't remember at all the one you guys are talking about, even though at one point I did play through GoW 1, 2 and 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The hyperviolence in GoW was always uncomfortable to me because you could tell its creators fully expected the player to see themselves in Kratos and think everything he did was just totally awesome, instead of mean-spirited and reprehensible. That being said I do think people can change over time, and if they somehow succeed at making Dad of War a complex character study about a father and son then I'm willing to see how it shakes out. I'm pretty skeptical, but I can give it the benefit of the doubt.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Shadow225 posted:

Make sure you are set to receive promotional emails from Playstation in your account. This is also applicable for the discounts they send out randomly.
Do you do that on the web version or in the system settings?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Housh posted:

Do you do that on the web version or in the system settings?

System settings, it's somewhere in PSN account management.

Mine is set to allow promotional emails but not third party emails and has been since long before I started playing HZD.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

PS plus list for EU?
Maybe real?

Sounds too good to be true though..

Sefal fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 28, 2017

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sefal posted:

PS plus list for EU?
Maybe real?

Sounds too good to be true though..

It's real, US playstation blog just posted it

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/06/28/ps-plus-free-games-for-july-2017/

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Edit: Soundly beaten. If only I still has a ps3 for Tokyo Jungle

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Until Dawn would be great.

That also lines up with Knack 1 as the centerpiece for August

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Have anyone gotten their $15 codes yet for spending $100 in the last sale?

Edit: I got an email about Elite Dangerous now being on the PS4. I don't understand why it's $10 more expensive to buy digitally than a physical copy.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 28, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The hyperviolence in GoW was always uncomfortable to me because you could tell its creators fully expected the player to see themselves in Kratos and think everything he did was just totally awesome, instead of mean-spirited and reprehensible. That being said I do think people can change over time, and if they somehow succeed at making Dad of War a complex character study about a father and son then I'm willing to see how it shakes out. I'm pretty skeptical, but I can give it the benefit of the doubt.

I feel this with other games, but God of War is cartoon violence.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I got a 43" 4K TV (just about the biggest I could properly fit on my current setup in a small apartment, but still by far the biggest TV I have ever owned) to replace the 24" 1080p TV monitor I got for free and goddrat does Horizon look pretty on this thing with all the bells and whistles on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tei posted:

I feel something like Mortal Kombat is cartoon violence, too goofy and over the top to be taken seriously. GoW on the other hand, very uncomfortable feeling with lots of gratuitous QTE eye gouging and neck snapping not played for laughs, but to make you think you're doing all the moves with Kratos.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Veib posted:

I got a 43" 4K TV (just about the biggest I could properly fit on my current setup in a small apartment, but still by far the biggest TV I have ever owned) to replace the 24" 1080p TV monitor I got for free and goddrat does Horizon look pretty on this thing with all the bells and whistles on.

I read this in the voice of the extremely tall man in the tiny car from the Simpsons

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The infamous girl / lever part in 3 is the one part I thought was over the line. Some bring up the caged guy in 1 that get burned alive, but it didn't gross me out the same way.

I think it was a combination of:

1) It's a half-naked slave girl who thinks Kratos is trying to save her.
2) The same game has a whole sub-plot of Kratos trying to save a young woman who reminds him of his daughter.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
1 was a Greek tragedy. 2 and 3 were "but what if Oedipus instead went on a super cool killing spree."

They were bad.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Isn't the 4th god of war game, the mp focused one? Ascensions I believe. Was the story better in that one?

By god of war 3. They should have just embraced Kratos as the vilian.

Edit: Killed Poseidon? Now watch as the world overflows with water. killing thousands if not millions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Where you use the half naked screaming woman to prop open a switch which crushes her to death as a result.

Yeah I'm not easily offended, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy video game violence to some degree, but that part made me say "gently caress this game". Really in general the violence in GOW 3 was just super off putting and felt like it was made my mentally unstable people.

That's still the only GOW game I've ever played because Kratos is such an unappealing character. That said, the new one looks...pretty drat good.

haveblue posted:

When you do that, the camera pans away from it, as though even the developers and the game itself were ashamed.

Ten minutes after a lovingly detailed closeup shot of Hercules' face getting punched concave, too.

Yeah but it makes sure to pan back to the pile of fire you turned her into right after.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Tei posted:

I feel like there's a difference between cartoon violence and GoW. GoW often just lingers and looks dead on its acts of violence. And it often makes QTE the eye gouging and head ripping. Mortal Kombat will be a quick spine rip and hold it up like a trophy for the audience, GoW is in fiction Kratos enjoying every agonizingly long moment of torture and death. Not to mention how many innocent people he would kill as part of puzzle rooms.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
gently caress I wish I had a PS3 again, could totally go for some Tokyo Jungle. No PS Now in my parts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm actually kind of surprised Tokyo Jungle never got a PS4 port. Seemed like enough of a cult hit to warrant it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Ularg posted:

Have anyone gotten their $15 codes yet for spending $100 in the last sale?

Edit: I got an email about Elite Dangerous now being on the PS4. I don't understand why it's $10 more expensive to buy digitally than a physical copy.

I think the $15 will be given the first week of July.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Morby posted:

I think the $15 will be given the first week of July.

There's always a huge delay and weeks of "where's my poo poo" before you randomly get an email

Y'all have me hella conflicted about GOW 3. I've never played Ratchet and Clank, gameplay videos look lame. I know it receives a lot of praise here, what am I missing?

Also call me a basic bitch but I really liked the button mashing GOW copy-ish of Dante's Inferno for Xbox

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Dante's Inferno was great to play when other people weren't around, could never get into the 'NO gently caress YOU DAD!!' stuff in gow.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah Dante's Inferno definitely had some weird poo poo. The part where you find historical figures and such and could "free" them or not was pointless but kinda fun since it was so gruesome

Wasn't there a part with little penises hanging off the wall? The game had some wild art. Not sure why it got so much hate

Actually it probably didn't get any hate outside of these forums

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really liked Dante's Inferno too. Completed it on 360. I just love depictions of Hell.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I think the only thing I've seen about it outside of SA is about satan's very visible dick swinging around while you fight him.
I'd have to play through it again to see if there were dicks on the walls, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Otherwise it was just not-god of war so nobody cared.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dante's Inferno was cool up until it was completely obvious they ran out of time/money and the end of the game was a bunch of random challenge rooms

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah Dante's Inferno definitely had some weird poo poo. The part where you find historical figures and such and could "free" them or not was pointless but kinda fun since it was so gruesome

Wasn't there a part with little penises hanging off the wall? The game had some wild art. Not sure why it got so much hate

Actually it probably didn't get any hate outside of these forums

I'm pretty sure it was just generally mocked for turning the Divine Comedy into a violent action game and also because they released this:

Yes, that's The Divine Comedy with a loving video game cover.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol I remember that.

And yeah when it was announced there was a lot of griping about turning a literary classic into a videogame around here.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

That was really funny.
OH WAIT I REMEMBER SOMETHING didn't they do that terrible promotion where they sent people checks but said they were giving into greed or gluttony if they cashed it?
Because that was really bad. The game itself was a good ride.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Liver Disaster posted:

That was really funny.
OH WAIT I REMEMBER SOMETHING didn't they do that terrible promotion where they sent people checks but said they were giving into greed or gluttony if they cashed it?
Because that was really bad. The game itself was a good ride.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante%27s_Inferno_(video_game)

They had some pretty impressive stunts for the game – they even hired fake protestors?

Probably the best was sending a Rickroll music box to game critics with a hammer to destroy it, succumbing to the sin of Wrath.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

Along with Modern Warfare, GoW is a pretty accurate representation of the post-911/War on Terror/Abu Ghraib-Gitmo mindset in our society. I really see those games as reflective of their moment, a moment that just happened to be horrible and gross. That said, I do remember being incredibly excited for GoW2 upon first seeing trailers and the games were technical showpieces on the PS2.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I remember being incredibly excited about God of War 2's release, I think I might have it on release day which wasn't all that common when I was 20, it was a nice game at the time, really spectacular and over the top but I don't think I could ever replay it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only thing I remember about dantes inferno was the boss that was a giant naked woman with babies crawling out of her nipples

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm sad because I forgot about the awful TT game and thought there was a PS4 port of the GoT RPG from a few years ago.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

veni veni veni posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised Tokyo Jungle never got a PS4 port. Seemed like enough of a cult hit to warrant it.

I have said this a bunch of times. It would be very cool.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I asked the 360 backlog threaf if dantes was worth a play and everyone said skip it and do elshaddai instead. Is it really worth it and unique or just a gow clone?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

I asked the 360 backlog threaf if dantes was worth a play and everyone said skip it and do elshaddai instead. Is it really worth it and unique or just a gow clone?

I always wanted to play elshaddai, it looked awesome. Could never find a copy tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

El Shaddai looks great but it feels really empty while playing, being an angel who wears designer jeans he got from his buddy lucifer is pretty cool
Dante's Inferno is easy to power through and just enjoy the wild designs that you probably won't see in another game.