Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lowness 72 posted:

My favorite fp poster. Pics?

It won't be here for a week, but when it arrives I'll post them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

unkle77 posted:

Are Edison pens any good? I'm hesitant to spend that kind of dough on just another regular nib

They are, yes. I own 3 production line pens and one signature series pen from them and they have all been great, even the production line ones purchased through Goulet. I even had one of the production line pens from one of the seasonal limited runs develop a crack in the cap lip, and they had me ship it to them to assess then fabricated a whole new cap and re-tuned the nib as well. Great company, great pens, great service.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It looks like we'll be at the SF pen show. See you folks there.

And yes, our booth will be a wonderland of beautiful things.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm, amazon tried to delivery my OHTO - Tasche and claimed that they couldn't then mysteriously forwarded it somewhere else (I'm guessing becuase I just moved into a new apartment and they sent it to the last person's forwarding address).

RIP little black pen, maybe it'll find it's way back at some point.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My wife just surprised me with a Lamy Vista to replace my 2 Safari's - one of which I lent to her and she lost, and the other of which broke. I really like the pen, I didn't know a transparent existed. Very cool.

Anyway the fact that I could see the feed got me thinking about how it actually works, which I'd never considered before. Which in term made me wonder if my 'broken' Safari is actually broken at all.

What happened to it was that it fell out of my pocket and was left outside on the ground overnight in sub-zero temperatures. When I found it and brought it inside it was leaking ink everywhere. I presume that the ink had frozen overnight, expanded, and split something, but looking at the feed in my Vista, it seems like it's just a single piece of hard plastic, and that probably wouldn't happen. I'd figured I would need the replace the feed to get in running properly again, but I guess that's maybe not the case. Is there any chance it just needs a good clean and a new cartridge?

Also, seeing the pattern of where the ink does and doesn't go inside the feed, made me wonder how they actually work. Is there a good explanation somewhere?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Capillary action. The fins/scoops are essentially a buffer zone.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-fountain-pens-work.html

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Plinkey posted:

Hmm, amazon tried to delivery my OHTO - Tasche and claimed that they couldn't then mysteriously forwarded it somewhere else (I'm guessing becuase I just moved into a new apartment and they sent it to the last person's forwarding address).

RIP little black pen, maybe it'll find it's way back at some point.

That sucks, but I will say that Amazon is pretty good at fixing stuff like that if you contact support. Tell them you didn't authorize a forward of the package and want them to find your pen. (And, barring that, forward the chat to jeff@amazon.com.)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Magnus Praeda posted:

That sucks, but I will say that Amazon is pretty good at fixing stuff like that if you contact support. Tell them you didn't authorize a forward of the package and want them to find your pen. (And, barring that, forward the chat to jeff@amazon.com.)

Yeah, they are usually good about that kind of stuff. I'll give it another few days to either get delivered somewhere or just fade into the USPS ether until I contact them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

One month check-in with the Pilot Custom 823

Short review: :swoon:

Long review: Outside of the nib having a bit of a sweet spot, everything about this pen is ridiculous. It's maybe the smoothest writer I own, if anything it's too smooth. It holds a ton of ink, which is good because it's so wet I can empty it after a few day's heavy use (a feature I like because I'm trying to empty a bottle of Heart of Darkness this year). I wanted a large capacity pen that laid down a bold (but not broad) line for black ink writing, and the 823 fits the bill exactly. Now I want one of the Tokyo Quill Shop specials with the FA nib.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

grack posted:

Just tried this, it works pretty well.

Baby bottles seem to be standarised on one‐inch mouths, which means that they are compatible with Noodler’s bottles but not with Diamine’s.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

chippy posted:

My wife just surprised me with a Lamy Vista to replace my 2 Safari's - one of which I lent to her and she lost, and the other of which broke. I really like the pen, I didn't know a transparent existed. Very cool.

Anyway the fact that I could see the feed got me thinking about how it actually works, which I'd never considered before. Which in term made me wonder if my 'broken' Safari is actually broken at all.

What happened to it was that it fell out of my pocket and was left outside on the ground overnight in sub-zero temperatures. When I found it and brought it inside it was leaking ink everywhere. I presume that the ink had frozen overnight, expanded, and split something, but looking at the feed in my Vista, it seems like it's just a single piece of hard plastic, and that probably wouldn't happen. I'd figured I would need the replace the feed to get in running properly again, but I guess that's maybe not the case. Is there any chance it just needs a good clean and a new cartridge?

Also, seeing the pattern of where the ink does and doesn't go inside the feed, made me wonder how they actually work. Is there a good explanation somewhere?

The Vista is definitely on my To Buy list.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Goddammit, if I keep buying all these intriguing Chinese pens, I'm never going to be able to afford my Custom 74! :smith:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Professor Shark posted:

The Vista is definitely on my To Buy list.

I'm really taken with it, I think the look of it is great, although I can see how some might not like it.

One thing - I've noticed that on the right hand side of the feed, all of the fins seem to have ink on/in(?) them, but on the left hand side, only a couple do. Is this is a sign that the pen might not quite be running right, or is not not anything to worry about? I would say that it seems to write slightly drier than my previous M-nibbed Lamy Safari, but I figured that might just be because it's brand new.

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 30, 2017

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

howe_sam posted:

One month check-in with the Pilot Custom 823

Short review: :swoon:

Long review: Outside of the nib having a bit of a sweet spot, everything about this pen is ridiculous. It's maybe the smoothest writer I own, if anything it's too smooth. It holds a ton of ink, which is good because it's so wet I can empty it after a few day's heavy use (a feature I like because I'm trying to empty a bottle of Heart of Darkness this year). I wanted a large capacity pen that laid down a bold (but not broad) line for black ink writing, and the 823 fits the bill exactly. Now I want one of the Tokyo Quill Shop specials with the FA nib.

One of the best pens money can buy, period. If you're a serious writer get the WA version from Asahiya (Quill). It's incredible. I use it myself when I'm traveling and need a pen that can go onto planes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I bought a non-Delta fountain pen. A non-Delta fountain pen.

This feels weird. Am I going to be alright? :ohdear:

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

grack posted:

Surely a pox will befall you and all your friends. Your ink will turn to blood and your pens will all leak.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

grack posted:

Was it still Italian, at least? Like an Omas or something

grack
Jan 10, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Was it still Italian, at least? Like an Omas or something

Waterman Expert, actually. Snagged it cheap off of Amazon.

jiffypop45 posted:

Surely a pox will befall you and all your friends. Your ink will turn to blood and your pens will all leak.

Now this is just uncalled for

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

grack posted:

Now this is just uncalled for

I flew on a plane with mine to Seattle for an interview at Amazon from Dallas (got the job). My pen didn't explode but did leak all over when I went to write with it, mostly just on the grip section. Didn't make a mess just got ink all over my hands when I went to use it the first time. I brought some backup ballpoints that I used in my interview but it felt like the Rhodia was crying out in pain from having my space pen pushed against it.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

grack posted:

That's how I got my Expert, one of the Blue Obsession ones. A nice little pen with a very smooth steel nib. I still want one of the Precious ones someday...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Okay, I'll admit to liking it a little bit more than I expected. Nib needed some work, though. Also, even though it was listed as used I'm pretty sure it's brand new as the box still had the manufacturer's sealing sticker on it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kessel posted:

It looks like we'll be at the SF pen show. See you folks there.

And yes, our booth will be a wonderland of beautiful things.

Just placed an order for the previously mentioned gift notebook. I was going to also order one for myself, but after finding out that the SF pen show is not in fact in SF (where getting into/around/out of the city is an absolute nightmare), I decided I'll just go there and take a look.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

404notfound posted:

Just placed an order for the previously mentioned gift notebook. I was going to also order one for myself, but after finding out that the SF pen show is not in fact in SF (where getting into/around/out of the city is an absolute nightmare), I decided I'll just go there and take a look.

We confirmed our table. I'll see you there - come introduce yourself so I know who you are!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I finally bought a Pilot Metro, as the turquoise color was just too lovely to resist.

I got one of the stub nibs, modified it to be a little oblique, and :swoon:

Nib was fine out of the box, but I am more comfortable writing with a stub if it's slightly oblique. It's such a cheap pen that I felt comfortable practicing my newbie nib tweaking skills.

I wish they'd had these around when I first became interested in fountain pens. These are really hard to beat at their price point.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'm thinking about getting a Pilot custom 823 and will hopefully be able to try one out this weekend but I don't know if the shop I'm going to will have them for sure. If I can't get my hands on the real deal in medium and fine what do you think would be the closest approximation that might be more commonly available?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Apocron posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Pilot custom 823 and will hopefully be able to try one out this weekend but I don't know if the shop I'm going to will have them for sure. If I can't get my hands on the real deal in medium and fine what do you think would be the closest approximation that might be more commonly available?

I believe the Custom 743 has the exact same body dimensions and uses the same nibs.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

grack posted:

I believe the Custom 743 has the exact same body dimensions and uses the same nibs.

Yup, pretty much. The 743 has a larger nib selection - 823 only has F/M/B officially and then the WA/FA is through Asahiya (Tokyo Pen Shop Quill) exclusively.

404notfound posted:

Double-posting in a sense, but - we literally just finished a small number of diaries today and the colour/pattern you ordered happens to be one of them. I'll ship your diary this afternoon with any luck.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Just got back from the workshop and we are starting prototype production of A6 pocket-sized diaries today. I don't yet know what kind of price point they will go for, or even if we'll sell them singly - shipping a single pocket diary would be prohibitive cost-wise. Right now we're thinking that a pocket version and a full-sized diary will form a bundle.

Of course, all this hinges on whether we can make something that meets our standards to begin with. I just wanted to let you folks know in advance because I know some of you were asking for a smaller version.

Esdesu
Sep 14, 2014

I just received my Pilot Metropolitan today. Looking forward to writing more with my first fountain pen!

https://i.imgur.com/MPyNwUc.jpg

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kessel posted:

Just got back from the workshop and we are starting prototype production of A6 pocket-sized diaries today. I don't yet know what kind of price point they will go for, or even if we'll sell them singly - shipping a single pocket diary would be prohibitive cost-wise. Right now we're thinking that a pocket version and a full-sized diary will form a bundle.

Of course, all this hinges on whether we can make something that meets our standards to begin with. I just wanted to let you folks know in advance because I know some of you were asking for a smaller version.

I hope that you can, if only because a bundle would push me over into ordering another notebook before I'm anywhere near done with the first one.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

For us it's always a quality issue. If we can make a small version to the same quality level we do the large version, we'll be happy to offer it. Give us a little time - we're thinking about proportions and page counts and all of these things force us to change the board weights and other components that make up the book.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Other than handing a Lamy 2000 to any random goon for five minutes, what's the cheapest option for trying out a Waverly nib?

I'm fantasizing about owning an 823 someday, but before I eventually make that plunge and accompanying nib decision, it would be cool to pick up a cheaper WA option to mess around with.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

Other than handing a Lamy 2000 to any random goon for five minutes, what's the cheapest option for trying out a Waverly nib?

I'm fantasizing about owning an 823 someday, but before I eventually make that plunge and accompanying nib decision, it would be cool to pick up a cheaper WA option to mess around with.

A lot of older Sheaffer pens, especially those with inlaid nibs, have pseudo-Waverly nibs as the tipping is bent upwards somewhat. Otherwise, outside of vintage, I think a Pilot Custom 742 or 912 is your best bet for a true Waverly. You could also try a cheap Fude nib.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

A lot of older Sheaffer pens, especially those with inlaid nibs, have pseudo-Waverly nibs as the tipping is bent upwards somewhat. Otherwise, outside of vintage, I think a Pilot Custom 742 or 912 is your best bet for a true Waverly. You could also try a cheap Fude nib.

The intended effect of a fude nib is different though, isn't it? The fude nib gives line variation depending on pen angle, while the WA gives a consistent feeling no matter what angle you're using.

The cheapest way to try a WA nib is to test one at a stationery store pen counter in Japan, though you'd have to get to Japan first...

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Dad Hominem posted:

The intended effect of a fude nib is different though, isn't it? The fude nib gives line variation depending on pen angle, while the WA gives a consistent feeling no matter what angle you're using.

Yes, this is correct. Because of their properties, they have vastly different use cases too: a fude nib is actually pretty annoying to write regularly with because you have to control it too carefully to go fast, while a WA nib is basically usable everywhere.

I have a Naginata-togi KOP which also gives variation based on angle, and while I love it to death it's really not an everyday sort of pen.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, the day after I filed a 'poo poo didn't show up' complaint with amazon my missing OTHO showed up after bouncing around NOVA for a few days. I love the pen in terms of size, feel...etc. but it just gushes ink. I might empty out a cart and refill it with something else to see if that's better. It's super thick for a .5 mm and goes through paper that my petrol handles fine.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I've mostly been agonizing about whether I want a medium or fine nib that I hadn't considered Waverly or Falcon nibs, should I think about them or are they only for calligraphy or enthusiasts? I'm looking for a nib that I can use day to day for writing in my journal.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Apocron posted:

I've mostly been agonizing about whether I want a medium or fine nib that I hadn't considered Waverly or Falcon nibs, should I think about them or are they only for calligraphy or enthusiasts? I'm looking for a nib that I can use day to day for writing in my journal.

Or buy a vintage Esterbrook J Series and get any nib you want for cheap: https://www.andersonpens.com/nibs-esterbrook-s/1987.htm

I had a 2550, firm extra fine on mine for a long time, was like writing with a surprisingly friendly needle.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I have a Pilot pen (gift, unknown model, probably one of the ~$30 models you have to order from Japan) where the nib seems to be clipped onto the feed. There's some ink under there I've been unable to wash out without detaching the nib, but I don't know how to do it safely. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

inklesspen posted:

I have a Pilot pen (gift, unknown model, probably one of the ~$30 models you have to order from Japan) where the nib seems to be clipped onto the feed. There's some ink under there I've been unable to wash out without detaching the nib, but I don't know how to do it safely. Any tips?

With the vast majority of PIlot pens you should be able to pull out the feed entirely without issue. The nib sits in a machined groove in the feed, it's not actually clipped in to place.