Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Iron Twinkie posted:

Thinking back to November 8th, it certainly has been an interesting journey. But as Trump has shown himself to govern as a bog standard Republican, all that fear has been replaced and added to the considerable anger I have for Democrats.

yeah my concern about trump immediately after the election was that we just elected an actual fascist who would do actual fascist things. it took me a couple weeks into his presidency to realize he's too much of a dumbass to actually have any political achievements of his own and the GOP is just going to do what it always does (except it appears it cant even do that) when it has power with a few token things from the trump agenda to appease the trump base.

my concern about trump has gone from him intentionally doing bad things to him unintentionally doing incredibly stupid things. i guess at some level i still assumed he must be secretly competent somehow even after that campaign, because he won. but yeah hes just an actual Idiot Drunk Uncle who watches too much Fox News made most powerful man alive.

i still think there is an opportunity to seize the democratic party, and it'll show itself as we get closer to '18 primaries and 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Matt Zerella posted:

I can't stop reading the election thread again. I just want to quote all the finger wagging IDPOL people and reply "lol Hillary owned slaves"

Link?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Nothing specific but I'm on this page: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796651&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=204

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Just wanted a link to the thread, thanks.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/Salon/status/880105042795266048

#theresistance sponsored by Panera Bread retweeted by Business Gorilla

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

consumed by normies posted:

yeah my concern about trump immediately after the election was that we just elected an actual fascist who would do actual fascist things. it took me a couple weeks into his presidency to realize he's too much of a dumbass to actually have any political achievements of his own and the GOP is just going to do what it always does (except it appears it cant even do that) when it has power with a few token things from the trump agenda to appease the trump base.

my concern about trump has gone from him intentionally doing bad things to him unintentionally doing incredibly stupid things. i guess at some level i still assumed he must be secretly competent somehow even after that campaign, because he won. but yeah hes just an actual Idiot Drunk Uncle who watches too much Fox News made most powerful man alive.

i still think there is an opportunity to seize the democratic party, and it'll show itself as we get closer to '18 primaries and 2020.

trump's not exactly launching the nukes but they're doing a lot of long-term damage with regulatory agencies and such that are flying under cnn's radar
still, gently caress clinton and the dnc, i'm glad trump won because poo poo's gonna hit the fan sooner or later
and a side of curly fries

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
what is this about hillary owning slaves

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I was pretty bent out of shape on election night and def had a minor meltdown somewhere on here, probably in the NYC thread.

I hated Hillary Clinton and was extremely critical of her campaign strategy, which I felt would result in suppressed turnout and a victory built on split-ticket voters -- so, a Dem president with no change in Congress. With that in mind I went to Philly to go door to door mainly to help McGinty, including on November 8th.

Clinton would have done a lot of the same horrible poo poo Trump has done, but at least the Justice Department wouldn't be headed by a Klansman and I wouldn't know loving Neil Gorsuch's name. Contemplating at least four full years of total Republican federal control, coupled with their unshakeable state level power...it was a lot.

Now my feeling is, if 1) we stay out of war with Iran and DPRK and 2) the Dems get their poo poo together in time to win the house in 2018 AND 3) the Dems win the senate and presidency in 2020....the Clinton loss will be bearable in the long term. Those are all big ifs, and assuming some version AHCA passes it's still gonna be a staggering sacrifice.

She really hosed us over.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dreylad posted:

She owned slaves.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

got any sevens posted:

trump's not exactly launching the nukes but they're doing a lot of long-term damage with regulatory agencies and such that are flying under cnn's radar
still, gently caress clinton and the dnc, i'm glad trump won because poo poo's gonna hit the fan sooner or later
and a side of curly fries

yeah hes signing whatever the GOP puts in front of him and pats him on the head for doing. i guess what i was trying to say was hes not governing as some insane fascist harbinger of the apocalypse as i somewhat feared, just an extremely incompetent standard republican. and i think id rather have an extremely incompetent republican president than a competent one

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dreylad posted:

Hillary Clinton owned slaves.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

fits my needs posted:

I mean, yeah, LOL HAMILTON, but I guess if you sample one tiny part of the play and put actual musicians without nerd voice on a song it's not as cringe worthy? this seems more eon Salon being dumb than a song.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

God, Hillary did not own slaves, you hyperbolic bernie bros :rolleyes:

She just used slave labor, which is totally different for reasons

also: you're probably white

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dreylad posted:

The Arkansas governor's mansion made use of unpaid prison labor while Bill Clinton was governor, and Hillary wrote a heartwarming passage about how she learned that criminals have emotions just like real people and how anyone who stepped out of line got sent immediately back to prison (rather than, you know, how hosed up unpaid prison labor actually is) in (I think) "It Takes A Village."

And "Hillary uncritically benefited from exploitative prison labor practices" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

fits my needs posted:

Trump will retweet this and say brown immigrants are coming for your job.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

well drat

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I feel nerdy thinking this, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen a tweet or something from establishment Dem supporters who reference Persona 5. Like saying Trump is Shido and needs a change of heart.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel nerdy thinking this, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen a tweet or something from establishment Dem supporters who reference Persona 5. Like saying Trump is Shido and needs a change of heart.

hillary reminds me more of shido tbh. trump's not smart enough

we all know bernie's the sun arcana though

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

JRPGs are way too niche for those kinds of people to reference. Think more basic. If it's not Harry Potter or Disney (or Hamilton) it's too obscure.

This could pass for an unironic tweet from the IfHillaryHad Twitter account

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

:lol: Doyle is so loving bad.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

venom snake will turn out to be akechi and we'll discover he killed vince foster for hillary

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

:lol: Doyle is so loving bad.

wait, is that tweet not a joke

is that prediction supposed to be a pro-Hillary idea

Are you supposed to think "yes, this woman should win an election because it'd allow her to totally dunk on her husband, whom I also like"

I should probably know my pre-election Twitter personalities better than I do

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

History does not belong to the creators but the destroyers. How does it feel Bill, to watch what you and the rest of the DLC built burnt to ash?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

docbeard posted:

I prefer to think that Obdicut is just writing a massive post in which he reminds us no less than 3.8 trillion times that he works in public health and it's just taking this long to type.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

loquacius posted:

wait, is that tweet not a joke

is that prediction supposed to be a pro-Hillary idea

Are you supposed to think "yes, this woman should win an election because it'd allow her to totally dunk on her husband, whom I also like"

I should probably know my pre-election Twitter personalities better than I do

yes yes yes no

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Now I want to play a Persona game based on the real world, where Trump is the primary villain, but the true final boss is Hillary who uses her slaves to fight you.

Condiv posted:

hillary reminds me more of shido tbh. trump's not smart enough

we all know bernie's the sun arcana though

I could never figure out how to unlock that social link, because I couldn't figure out how to get that ramen job.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GalacticAcid posted:

Some good publications that write about US politics from a left wing or liberal policy perspective, and have weighed in on the state of the Democratic Party --

The American Prospect

N+1

Jacobin Magazine

The New Republic (hail Jeet)

The New York Review of Books

The London Review of Books

Edit- I forgot The Baffler, thanks Shear Modulus

Plus Vox.com has put on a few good takes since the election.

I have to pretend to work for a bit longer but when I'm done I can provide article rather than homepage links if there is interest.

Ed Balls.

I know this is from page one and like a week ago but I think it bears repeating also I wanted to say In These Times is also pretty drat good.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

I can't stop reading the election thread again. I just want to quote all the finger wagging IDPOL people and reply "lol Hillary owned slaves"

Identity politics is civil rights friend

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That dude posted a lot of words and I always thought he portrayed himself as like a lawyer or some poo poo

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

punk rebel ecks posted:

Now I want to play a Persona game based on the real world, where Trump is the primary villain, but the true final boss is Hillary who uses her slaves to fight you.

I could never figure out how to unlock that social link, because I couldn't figure out how to get that ramen job.

you go to the beef bowl shop and work at night after a speech of his. after two times you should unlock him

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

zegermans posted:

Identity politics is civil rights friend

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Condiv posted:

you go to the beef bowl shop and work at night after a speech of his. after two times you should unlock him

I went to the beef bowl shop and it wouldn't let me inside, so I couldn't get the job in thr first place. :(

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

punk rebel ecks posted:

I went to the beef bowl shop and it wouldn't let me inside, so I couldn't get the job. :(

gotta apply to the job by going to the fliers at the underground walkway first

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is the purest self-own lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm sad that tweet is a screenshot because now that I know it's sincere I am genuinely curious which people would like or retweet it and what they are tweeting about these days

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

why are resisters larping now?

https://twitter.com/jessicalawyer2/status/880088669922701313

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even Hillary's admirers portray her as a callous, vampiric pol who only cares about winning things and having power. :laffo:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

loquacius posted:

I'm sad that tweet is a screenshot because now that I know it's sincere I am genuinely curious which people would like or retweet it and what they are tweeting about these days

this:

• Locked thread