Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/880106655765204994

Morey is so loving good at his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Time posted:

Chris Paul joined the team he blew a 3-1 lead against

lol

Doesn't seem all that unusual

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

G-Hawk posted:

theres trade exceptions involved

You can't combine exceptions and players on the same side in a trade, but the NBA trade machine is still using 2016-2017 cap & players. I think it works using 2017-2018 numbers.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Time posted:

lol

Lol

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

morestuff posted:

I mean, yeah. They've got him and DeAndre and some cap space, do what you can until those guys leave.

Alternatively, let him walk and trade Deandre. Pull the bandaid off and become the worst team in the league next year. They own their own picks (heavily protected). They have a pretty good opportunity to do that now pretty cleanly as opposed to dragging it out. I don't think Blake & Deandre make the playoffs in the West

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So if I'm reading this right he's intentionally going over the cap just to get the MLE?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I have been laughing like a supervillian anytime I open this thread for like 2 weeks now -- I loving love this league

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Time posted:

lol

lol true but it was already widely accepted that he's a huge little bitch so I don't think his reputation will be affected

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Someone photoshop CP3 into the "My next chapter" image

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Intruder posted:

So if I'm reading this right he's intentionally going over the cap just to get the MLE?

Morey is a wizard

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

I'm trying to think what coaches are on the hot seat that isn't on a rebuilding team that Doc Rivers could go work for because Lord knows he's not staying on the Clippers.

Pelicans. Sorry Kibner

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The Houston rockets are going to form the All-NBA "Not Touching You" team of annoying fuckers and I love it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Alternatively, let him walk and trade Deandre. Pull the bandaid off and become the worst team in the league next year. They own their own picks (heavily protected). They have a pretty good opportunity to do that now pretty cleanly as opposed to dragging it out. I don't think Blake & Deandre make the playoffs in the West

In general I think if you have the option to keep one of the best players in the league you should take it over years of rebuilding for ???

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

pubic works project posted:

If HOU somehow magically trades for Paul George, his powers would merge with Chris Paul's to form Chris Paul George who would dominate all.

Also HOU would officially be my West team forever.

Not enough, they need some guard depth. Chris Paul George Hill

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Intruder posted:

Yep if I remember correctly because if he goes over before the new league year he unlocks the full MLE for the team that over the cap teams get rather than just having the smaller than the MLE amount of cap space. Available.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

Pelicans. Sorry Kibner

As long as he doesn't have front office powers, it would be no worse than anything the franchise has had since it's been in NOLA.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

morestuff posted:

In general I think if you have the option to keep one of the best players in the league you should take it over years of rebuilding for ???

Has anyone actually taken this option yet this season

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

I'm trying to think what coaches are on the hot seat that isn't on a rebuilding team that Doc Rivers could go work for because Lord knows he's not staying on the Clippers.

My first thought would be Pelicans but they're kinda rebuilding and and I think they're happy with Gentry, not sure. Cavs could use a coach and a GM ha ha ha

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Cool Buff Man posted:

Pelicans. Sorry Kibner

Yeah but that would mean Austin can come back??

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Eltoasto posted:

Marques Chris Paul George Hill

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

Oh my god I love you.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

OzFactor posted:

Yeah but that would mean Austin can come back??

I would legit be excited for this. Break out my Rivers Mardi Gras jersey again!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Yep if I remember correctly because if he goes over before the new league year he unlocks the full MLE for the team that over the cap teams get rather than just having the smaller than the MLE amount of cap space. Available.

You can DO THAT??

\

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Time posted:

The Houston rockets are going to form the All-NBA "Not Touching You" team of annoying fuckers and I love it

i welcome their hatred

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

My first thought would be Pelicans but they're kinda rebuilding and and I think they're happy with Gentry, not sure. Cavs could use a coach and a GM ha ha ha

Gentry is definitely on the hot seat.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/DwyaneWade/status/880109495875252224

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

morestuff posted:

two all-stars? psh, loving worthless. blow it up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

If Frank tears his ACL and plummets out of the NBA it'd just be as if they traded their first rounder for some dumb vet again so no big deal

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
it'll be interesting to see if the rockets try to fit paul into morey-ball

he has a great mid range game, but lol if he's not "allowed" to use it

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

The Clippers weren't working and it's probably not a bad idea to blow it up now that the best player and the best shooter on the team are gone

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

it'll be interesting to see if the rockets try to fit paul into morey-ball

he has a great mid range game, but lol if he's not "allowed" to use it

Harden takes midrange jumpers sometimes, and lou williams did too. They definitely decrease it but I don't think its literally banned. I think more so they try to decrease mediocre wings from doing it or volume garbage type stuff.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Warriors in 6

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015
Phil: back to Montana. New York Knicks continue in non-relevancy. Always like Phil - admittedly as coach of the Lakers - but the Knicks definitely needed to give him the boot.

Clippers: Still the Clippers. Okay, so...they got Paul as an interventionist gift, but they peaked with Chauncey Billups and Eric Bledsoe also in the back-court, and Rivers couldn't seem to get much more than their big three. Jerry West comes in and the first thing that happens is Paul abandons ship. Now, as I understand the deal, Paul signes the one year extension, so it is a trial deal. If he and the Rockets are happy after next year, he can sign a mega deal with them, and if not, he bails. Could be gold, could be a disaster. Don't wish anyone on the Rockets badly...well, except for D'Umbtoni, but I suppose that is wishing everyone badly on the Rockets. Not sure what all the bits and pieces the Clippers got really means at this point, but they decided Paul was gone anyway, best to get something rather than nothing. The real question now is will Griffin desert the sinking ship (stilltheclippersstilltheclippers...), or figure he is the undivided main attraction?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kibner posted:

Gentry is definitely on the hot seat.

whoa I didn't know. I guess after Kerr's Warriors a coach has exactly one year to prove himself or he SUCKS

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Clippers weren't working and it's probably not a bad idea to blow it up now that the best player and the best shooter on the team are gone

50 wins and homecourt seems fine, especially for a team with a lifetime .250 winning percentage

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Lakers better than the clippers?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

morestuff posted:

50 wins and homecourt seems fine, especially for a team with a lifetime .250 winning percentage

Yeah it was working so well that the team is breaking up at the first opportune moment

They will also not be winning 50 games again for a long time unless they make some major additions

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As a casual Rockets fan it's hard for me to really care about this trade because it's still not nearly enough to compete.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

I don't know. Would DeAndre Jordan have made the allstar team without a Chris Paul running the pick and roll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i'd like the spurs to sign another all-star please

• Locked thread