Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

The only reason to make a prequel to something is if you had a really good character that died in the original and want to see more of them without just undoing their death.

Or if the backstory to your original work was a lot more compelling than the actual work (hello, Lufia!).

This Life is Strange game seems to have a lot of issues besides just being an unwarranted prequel.

Yeah, while Chloe kind of grew on me as a character (she's a more interesting protagonist than Max, I'll give them that), playing an entire game as the person she was at the start of Life is Strange could get a bit irritating. Seeing what Rachel was like as a person could be interesting though the first game already told us all we needed to know in my opinion.

On the bright side, they have said they're keeping the multiple ending aspect from the original so that at least gives them an out if they feel like breaking from canon at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

prequels are no more inherently worthless than sequels imo

i'm gonna give DONTNOD the benefit of the doubt until i actually play it

Life is Strange was good so I have no reason to believe the prequel will be bad. Not having Ashley Burch voice Chloe though, who is the main character in the new game, puts me off a lot :(

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

capitalism has broken us each in our own way

"As capitalism rose, each of us in our own way was broken"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

i cooled off with Nex Machina which seems awesome. I 1CC'd Rookie and am eager to try the harder modes.

Its amazeballs. Rookie has 2 fewer worlds than normal and they are too good to miss.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

prequels are no more inherently worthless than sequels imo

i'm gonna give DONTNOD the benefit of the doubt until i actually play it

How much involvement does DONTNOD actually have in Before The Storm? Last I checked it was being developed by a separate studio

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I got so excited at the Phantom Menace and the concept of a prequel, I like the Star Wars movies but no more than a hundred other franchises but the thought of a movie that told the story before the story was kinda mind blowing to 11 year old me.

Those X-men: Days of Future Past movies were pretty great too but lets not use a comic as a shining example of continuity

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sakurazuka posted:

Remember when Silicon Knights coughed up a Marvel side scroller with their dying breath?

I still think Too Human could have been good despite silicon knights loving up any chance for multiplayer.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Remember when Soul Calibur 5 had star wars characters and Ezio?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Macarius Wrench posted:

I got so excited at the Phantom Menace and the concept of a prequel, I like the Star Wars movies but no more than a hundred other franchises but the thought of a movie that told the story before the story was kinda mind blowing to 11 year old me.

Those X-men: Days of Future Past movies were pretty great too but lets not use a comic as a shining example of continuity

Actually what's great about the X-Men movies is that they give almost 0 fucks about continuity.

Star Wars is the opposite, where every loving thing has to tie in and all the stories are connected somehow.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Actually prequels gave us Metal Gear Solid 3. Prequels are loving amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hannibal sighed as he drew his katana...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Larryb posted:

How much involvement does DONTNOD actually have in Before The Storm? Last I checked it was being developed by a separate studio

oh, i did not know that. looks like DONTNOD are only doing the sequel and BTS is being made by the studio that made a Neopets game and the Ratchet and Clank remake :wtf:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Macarius Wrench posted:

Actually prequels gave us Metal Gear Solid 3. Prequels are loving amazing.

Yeah but they also gave us Peace Walker, so it's a wash.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

isn't DMC3 technically also a prequel?

all the Assassin's Creed games are technically prequels, I guess

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

all the Assassin's Creed games are technically prequels, I guess

No they're not.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but they also gave us Peace Walker, so it's a wash.

All of the prequel are good except for poops

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But the newest AssCreed is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

No they're not.

every AC takes place in the present and yet you're going backwards in time...................PREQUEL

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

But the newest AssCreed is.

There is probably some kind of Animus framing which would put the overarching story further in the future compared to Syndicate

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Metal Gear Solid has more prequels than sequels.

(Not counting Metal Gear and Metal Gear AC!D series, specifically Metal Gear Solid)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

every AC takes place in the present and yet you're going backwards in time...................PREQUEL

That's a flashback.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Almost every Zelda game is a prequel. Checkmate :smugdog:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Except the best one: Wind Waker.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

That's a flashback.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I like that a couple of months or so ago I set out to play my backlog of games I've never really played before and seventeen games in I hit "Elder Scrolls, The III: Morrowind" and have been playing it for 20 hours and counting because I'm having so much fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Almost every Zelder game is a prequel. Checkmate :smugdog:

It's pretty funny that Link to the Past happening before the original game was like a big selling point gimmick for it. Then ocarina of time was like "We go even further back and see how it ALL STARTED!". Then things got insane from there.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

But where did Mario first meet Peach??

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

In another castle

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Yoshi's Island DS.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That's Yoshi

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Yoshi's Island DS.

we try not to sexualize her

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Remember when Soul Calibur 5 had star wars characters and Ezio?

no 'cuz the star wars characters were in 4.

Ezio was one of the better guest characters they had, especially with Venice Rooftops for his stage theme.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
A crystalis remake would be neat.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

precision posted:

we try not to sexualize her

She's adorable though? :thunk:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

This game ruled but I used passwords to skip huge chunks and could never figure out how to kill the aliens towards the end. I probably would have spent more time trying to crack it if I owned it, but for being a sci-fi adventure I could mess around with while at grandma's it was pretty great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Shadow of Mordor GOTY is only $4 on Steam and PS4 right now, which is an insanely good value

also i finally caved and bought Rocket League, and holy poo poo where has this game been all my life, it's so good!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Phantasium posted:

no 'cuz the star wars characters were in 4.

Ezio was one of the better guest characters they had, especially with Venice Rooftops for his stage theme.

Oh I'm confusing him with the hooded star wars unleashed OC

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Mak0rz posted:

I like that a couple of months or so ago I set out to play my backlog of games I've never really played before and seventeen games in I hit "Elder Scrolls, The III: Morrowind" and have been playing it for 20 hours and counting because I'm having so much fun.

It is an amazing game that blew my mind as someone new to PC RPGs back in 2001. I'm pretty sure I only managed to run it at about 10 fps but I still put dozens of hours into it, and then many more a decade later once I was able to run it heavily modded. I have loved every Bethesda RPG since but none have had the same magic for me as going in blind to Morrowind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Oh I'm confusing him with the hooded star wars unleashed OC

that fucker completely ruined arcade mode in 4 since you always had to fight him and he was poo poo

• Locked thread