Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sean10mm posted:

The "Bennett trashed a cancer guy!!!" thing kind of feels like a gotcha, since I assume he had no reason to know the guy was a cancer survivor when he went on his rant.

:mad: "gently caress all y'all!"
:eng101: "Even the guy who survived Triple AIDS? He's the one in the blue shirt by the water cooler."
:confused: "...wait, what?"

Definitely not what happened. That specific reporter asked him a fairly bland question about whether he thought the Seattle defense performed well. Bennett then went on an increasingly loud and belligerent monologue directed at that one reporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

Definitely not what happened. That specific reporter asked him a fairly bland question about whether he thought the Seattle defense performed well. Bennett then went on an increasingly loud and belligerent monologue directed at that one reporter.

He didn't know that reporter was a cancer survivor though (which was the part that made headlines) and later apologized to him privately, which the reporter apparently accepted. If I remember right his boycott of the paper happened the same way, he was reacting to a story someone wrote slamming him but mainly saying he should apologize. Once the guy who wrote the story learned that he did apologize he apologized to Bennett and I believe everyone's cool with each other now? I don't know if they are or not, here's the second reporter's apology at least though.

I think most things Bennett are people making too much out of not a whole lot/getting hot in a press conference. Christ I want more players to publicly get angry about things, coachspeak makes the game a lot less fun to follow. I don't know if Brock is a much stronger candidate but he did throw a hissy fit at halftime in some game because Bill O'Brien didn't trust him to play quarterback while he was playing like absolute poo poo. So I'll vote Brock.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean I generally agree with you and I like it when people apologize for their lovely behavior. That said, if you go through life just assuming whoever you're talking to hasn't had any adversity in their life you are going to be wrong more often than you're right, and it's a really egoistical assumption to make. You don't have to know that guy is a cancer survivor to just not assume you - a multi-millionaire star football player - have had a rougher time than whoever is asking you a question.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
poo poo talking cancer survivors is actually funny

Brock Osweiler

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Voting Brock since he already had an ego before embarrassing himself in Houston. If you believe the reports, in 2015 he was upset when he was benched for a returning Peyton; so much so that he already had decided to sign with another team after the season was over. Also - that stupid tattoo of his with bad grammar

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 11, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I mean I generally agree with you and I like it when people apologize for their lovely behavior. That said, if you go through life just assuming whoever you're talking to hasn't had any adversity in their life you are going to be wrong more often than you're right, and it's a really egoistical assumption to make. You don't have to know that guy is a cancer survivor to just not assume you - a multi-millionaire star football player - have had a rougher time than whoever is asking you a question.

While true, it is a bit unfair to expect a man to be completely rational minutes after such an emotional letdown that said person had committed the last six months to pursuing.

Bennett at least appears to try to have a positive impact.

Brock got indignant while being asked to perform the minimum requirements of the job he is paid millions of dollars to do. Because he wasn't the first choice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup! And, quite reasonably, Brock Osweiler wins 31-18.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Frank Clark vs. Dave Caldwell

Frank Clark
Frank Clark (born June 14, 1993) is an American football defensive end for the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League. Clark was drafted by the Seahawks in the second round, 63rd overall pick of the 2015 NFL draft. He played in college for the Michigan Wolverines football team until his senior season. As a junior, he was a 2013 All-Big Ten second team selection by the coaches and honorable mention selection by the media for the 2013 team.

Epi Lepi posted:

Frank Clark for this: Seahawks defensive end tells reporter who wrote about his domestic violence charge that she can clean his fish tank

He then issued a bullshit nonapology and liked a whole bunch of tweets saying he did nothing wrong as shown here: After tweeting an apology, Frank Clark’s Twitter showed his real feelings

From Deadspin:

Yeah.

Dave Caldwell
David Caldwell (born c. 1974) is an American football executive who is the current general manager of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League. Before joining the Jaguars in 2013, Caldwell worked for the Carolina Panthers, Indianapolis Colts, and Atlanta Falcons.

Shiki Dan posted:

I'm nominating Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell for the Douchiest response to drafting a player with multiple domestic assault incidents (of the many this year):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706607-nfl-draft-shows-the-league-is-still-clueless-about-domestic-violence

quote:

This weekend, Oklahoma receiver Dede Westbrook was picked by the Jaguars in the fourth round. He has multiple accusations of violence against him involving the mother of his children. Though Westbrook was not convicted of a crime, the stories are ugly, involving allegedly throwing the woman to the ground and, at another time, punching her in the face.

When asked if he was concerned about the public image of the Jaguars after picking such a controversial player, general manager Dave Caldwell told reporters (according to statements distributed by the team): "I think we have done our due diligence enough to realize that is behind him and that, like we said, all of those charges were dropped. I think we all have been accused of things, not all of us, but many of us have been accused of things. We don't take it lightly. Obviously it is a serious issue, and we just feel like at this point in time to give the kid a chance to make it right."

I don't know many people accused of physically beating a woman multiple times.

But that's just me.

Caldwell's remarks, easily, make up one of the stupidest quotes of the draft.

Some franchises removed Westbrook off their boards, according to sources. But clearly not the Jaguars.

"The charges were dropped," Caldwell said. "There were no charges, never evolved into anything—2013 was the last one, so we felt like that stuff was behind him."

Well maybe since it was 4 years ago he has matured and changed, keeping himself out of trouble oh wait...

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...plaints-2012-13

quote:

Westbrook has twice been involved with police in his hometown of Cameron, Texas, in 2016.
Westbrook was arrested for trespassing on May 23. Westbrook was visiting the property resident's daughter, according to the police report, but all parties knew he was not allowed to be there because of a past altercation. Westbrook was subjected to racial slurs but remained cooperative and followed a patrol car to the sheriff's station, where he was booked into Milam County Jail for misdemeanor criminal trespassing.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
People like Dave Caldwell and his "that happened an eternity ago" response are the reason people like Frank Clark keep existing.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Caldwell because of the implications.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Caldwell

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Giovani Bernard

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I tend to vote for the actual abuser over the person to protects the abuser. On top of that, Frank Clark threatening a reporter who decided to write about domestic violence, despite the article not being about him? That's really loving low.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This one is close for me, I'm leaning Caldwell for now but might be swayed. If I decide to change my vote I'll edit this post out and make a new one with my vote.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Frank Clark because every football team does what Caldwell did and says the same things but not everyone tells a reporter to clean a fish tank for reporting on his domestic violence. Also, Clark was directly implicated in the domestic violence leading to the exchange in question whereas Caldwell's connection is indirect.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Frank Clark no contest. Somebody dared talk about his domestic abuse plea and he immediately throws a Trump-esq tantrum complete with using social media to do so. He's a pissy little baby that got mad the team wouldn't get her fired immediately like they got the DA to play nice.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Frank Clark is the dreaded "bad person on your favorite team" who's also a legit good football player, which means I'm gonna be stuck with this shithead for a long time.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Caldwell. Piece of poo poo doesnt even deserve an effort post

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't have a strong opinion but I'm going to choose Frank Clark because he's literally a violent piece of poo poo, himself, personally, and shows zero remorse for it.

Caldwell basically just did a bad job of spinning what every team in the entire NFL is also doing anyway. If Caldwell did a better job of hemming and hawing nobody would care enough to nominate him, and the real-world result would be exactly the same as it is now.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The fundamental difference between Caldwell and Clark is that the latter actually partook in domestic abuse.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Frank Clark is a huge piece of poo poo

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Frank Clark hasn't even pretended to show remorse. Truly awful.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

have the nominations closed yet. I'd like to add one More person.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nominations for the lifetime douchievement award remain open.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm deciding to edit out the comment of "Your Mommy" that i said here in this post because it could be taken pretty harshly if Somebody isnt in that good of a mood.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 28, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shangri-Law School posted:

Frank Clark hasn't even pretended to show remorse. Truly awful.

Just to add on, his forced apology was a non-apology "sorry if anyone was offended" bullshit.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
gently caress Frank Clark.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Frank Clark wins, 25-11.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Joe Mixon vs. the Chargers Front Office

Joe Mixon is an American football running back for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League. He played college football at Oklahoma. Mixon was drafted in the second round by the Bengals in the 2017 NFL Draft.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Not sure if he technically doesn't qualify or not, but Joe Mixon, for pretty obvious woman beating reasons.

Zurreco posted:

Mixon apologized, got punished by his team and I think was put on probation, and then agreed to release the video of the incident to use as a teaching moment and to shut up everyone that was blaming the girl. I think he gets a pass.

Grittybeard posted:

Eh, this is the spin Mixon's lawyers put on things but what actually happened was the court was going to compel the release of the video anyway and they tried to get out in front of things.

And even if you buy that utter bullshit I'd nominate everyone who watched that video and then talked about how women want equal rights but whine when they 'punch' first but there are too many to count. So the teaching moment thing has backfired as well.

So, just to be clear: Joe Mixon is not under consideration for his woman beating, but rather, for releasing the video of the incident as a teaching moment so everyone could blame the girl.

Chargers Front Office
The Los Angeles Chargers are a professional American football team based in the Greater Los Angeles Area. The Chargers compete in the National Football League as a member club of the league's American Football Conference (AFC) West division. The Chargers front-office includes owners Alex and Dean Spanos, VC Michael Spanos, EVP CFO and COO Jeanne Bonk, various other Spanoses, executives including LaDainian Tomlinson, GM Tom Telesco, personnel directors, scouts, security, trainers and doctors, equipment managers, controllers and accountants, a marketing department, public relations, sales people, etc. etc. etc.

aperion posted:

That said, I'm going to also nominate the Chargers Front Office for causing the holdout of Joey Bosa, the very first rookie holdout since the 2011 CBA was agreed upon, showing that the Chargers are somehow able to gently caress up negotiations on something that's 98% structured already by said CBA. Link to some comments by John Spanos on the holdout.

This is part of a growing lovely trend of teams deciding to gently caress over high draft picks by insisting on spreading out the signing bonus and/or including unfavorable offset language in their rookie contracts. Drafted rookies have no real choice over who drafts them and that means they have almost no negotiating power: and while rookie salaries for draft picks are set by the league, apparently teams are able to dick around with signing bonuses and offsets etc. with impunity. Holding out - and thereby missing practice and potentially playtime during the most critical season of an NFL football player's life - is their only option and protection against team management's manipulation of their contracts.

The chargers had no legitimate reason for playing hardball with Joey Bosa. Bosa was selected third overall in the 2016 draft; you do not select someone third overall that you think you might cut halfway through the first season. Had they passed on Bosa, the next team to grab him would likely have had no problem paying out his entire due signing bonus and not creating offset language to potentially cut his rookie salary if he got cut from the team midway through the first season. It's total bullshit to try and get a player to sign a contract that is worse than what they'd get had they fallen another spot in the draft.

But almost as bad as the actual bullshit negotiations being required in the first place is the way John Spanos publicly denigrated Bosa, as per the linked article:

quote:

I’m highly, highly disappointed in the path we’ve had to take,” Spanos told Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “It’s so overly clear we had no choice. It would have been more difficult if I felt they were being reasonable. But when you’re dealing with someone who isn’t reasonable, it makes it easy.”
“What you do is you compromise,” he stated. “We moved and we moved and we moved. They weren’t moving.”
“I’m blown away. At all costs I wanted to avoid going down this road. They made it overly clear we had no other option,” continued Spanos, who referred to Bosa’s holdout as “absolutely asinine.”

That poo poo is completely unprofessional. It's a contract negotiation, the player has the right to insist on getting what every other first round pick is presumed to get - at least one of a full signing bonus or a contract with no offsets - and you are the assholes for trying to take both away from him for no reason.

In the end, Bosa's holdout lasted four weeks. He received a $17M signing bonus and the full contract was guaranteed, although it still included offset language if Bosa declined his fifth year option.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/8/29/12397158/joey-bosas-holdout-is-over-chargers

quote:

Citing club precedent, the Chargers refused to take out the offset language. But the fact is, every No. 3 overall pick since 2012 has either had no offset language or no signing bonus deferral. Negotiations got so contentious between the two sides, that Bosa's mother wrote on Facebook she wished her son had "pulled an Eli Manning" -- a reference to the Giants quarterback demanding a trade from the Chargers on draft night in 2004.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 30, 2017

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Chargers FO by a loving landslide. It takes a lot of balls to try to shaft your first round pick over pocket change, call him out for doing the same in return, and then blaming it all on "not the Chargers."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Gotta go with the Chargers FO for somehow loving up and causing the first holdout of the new CBA.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Chargers Front Office because all CFOs are corrupter than a blizzard entertainment villain and the bengals joke was highly played out previously. its time to leave all these regular guys who didn't do anything behind where they belong: losing in the first fuckround just like the irl north kentucky tigers with bad chili

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Chargers Front Office. Do they qualify for Hall of Douchefame yet?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Chargers Front Office. Do they qualify for Hall of Douchefame yet?

Certainly; the qualifications for nomination to the hall of Douchievement are far broader than for Douchebag of the Year. Would you like to nominate them?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Chargers FO for trying to gently caress Joey Bosa out of his contract and fining Eric Weddle for watching his daughter perform at halftime of a game instead of being in the locker room during a game we won handily.

Nominating the Chargers Front Office for Hall of Douchefame for being a completely toxic organization for the better part of 40 years under the Spanos Family Reign. Here are a few noted acts of douchebaggery:
-Alex Spanos trying to publicly smear and run Dan Fouts out of town by making up a story about how Fouts was demanding a raise which he never did.. Source: http://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/08/14/San-Diego-quarterback-Dan-Fouts-may-have-seen-his/4370555912000/
-The Chargers front office moving away from the powder blue uniforms to adopt the navy blue uniforms in an ultimate act of narcissism because the navy blue color is in the Spanos Family Crest. I can't find a source on this but it's loving true
-Getting into numerous contract holdouts and trying to gently caress rookies over, dating all the way back to LaDainian Tomlinson in 2001, Philip Rivers in 2004, Shawne Merriman in 2005, Antonio Cromartie in 2006, and Joey Bosa in 2016, and being completely unable to negotiate contracts with high profile players resulting in Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates holding out into the regular season at different points.
-Trading away their future to draft Ryan loving Leaf
-Firing a coach who just went 14-2 and replacing him with Norv Turner. Dean Spanos sided with AJ loving Smith over Marty Schottenheimer
-Lying to Drew Brees' face and telling him they were going to offer him a big deal with guaranteed money after the 2005 season. They offered him a incentive laden deal and he went to New Orleans.
-Holding the city of San Diego hostage for the better part of a decade and a half and then finally moving an NFL franchise from a city that loves them to a city that doesn't want anything to do with them.
-Employing Mark Fabiani to verbally blast the city of San Diego during the negotiations and being too chicken poo poo to answer questions directly
-John and AG Spanos taking shots at the outdated video boards at Qualcomm stadium, then being called out by SDSU officials and San Diego Union Tribune columnists saying that the Spanoses had numerous offers to help upgrade the video boards at Qualcomm. Source: http://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/17/los-angeles-chargers-john-spanos-video-boards-qualcomm-san-diego/

God damnit I hate this front office

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Chargers Front Office No matter how much of a shithead Joe might be, the Chargers Front Office has, is, and will continue to gently caress over a much larger amount of people.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just want to point out that Dean Spanos and Family are a separate DotY nomination (and the number one seed).

I've added the Chargers FO nomination to the hall of fame nomination list.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chargers Front Office, mostly because Mixon's worst poo poo was mostly in a prior year.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

iospace posted:

Chargers Front Office, mostly because Mixon's worst poo poo was mostly in a prior year.

:agreed:

If Mixon was nominated for the actual act of domestic violence I'd choose him, but he's not and I don't like wishy-washy nominations on technicalities so Chargers Front Office it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
To pile on, the Chargers knowingly employed and publicly supported a medical practitioner known for overmedicating patients and once abandoning his on call to get drunk and maybe gently caress a stripper. It took a lot of lawsuits to gertt him removed.

• Locked thread