Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

i'd like the spurs to sign another all-star please

Brandon Knight was almost an all-star that one time, the Spurs should trade for him imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Shear Modulus posted:

I hear there's a former ROTY (who could maybe use a shooting coach) available for cheap, is that good enough :laugh:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

whoa I didn't know. I guess after Kerr's Warriors a coach has exactly one year to prove himself or he SUCKS

He's had two seasons with the Pels. And they underperformed both of them. Mainly because of health issues, but they still underperformed.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

morestuff posted:

In general I think if you have the option to keep one of the best players in the league you should take it over years of rebuilding for ???

I wouldn't really say Blake Griffin is one of the best players in the league anymore. Probably top 20, but he has extensive injury issues. I think that he and Deandre are not a particularly good fit, and they managed to make it work in spite of that in part due to how good Chris Paul was. If they do re-sign Blake, it'll be with a no trade clause which is going to hurt their potential to rebuild down the road.

Path A: Resign Blake, presumably with a no trade clause. Become 7th to 10th seed based around Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan. Due to the size of their contracts as well as paying Jamal Crawford / Austin Rivers they aren't going to have the room to significantly build around them. This goes on for who knows how long

Path B: They have the opportunity to become the absolute worst team in the league as well as get some young talent / picks for Deandre Jordan. They own all their own picks and have no real long term commitments to garbage players. Presumably have a top 4 pick at the end of next year. Take on bad salary and get more picks

Im a Trust The Process guy so I'd take B. I could see trying to keep the ship afloat if you just want the team to be profitable, but I get the sense Ballmer is rich enough that he doesn't care and has bigger aspirations

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Portland has traded Tim Quarterman to the Houston Rockets for cash, league source tells @TheVertical.

Morey is buying a bunch of random contracts to throw in, it look like

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Like, Gentry was expected to take an 8th seed team (that also suffered from serious injuries) and get them to the second round, at least. They haven't even come close to the playoffs in Gentry's two seasons.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah it was working so well that the team is breaking up at the first opportune moment

They will also not be winning 50 games again for a long time unless they make some major additions

It's not their fault that Chris Paul is shook.

I wouldn't blow up the Clippers unless Griffin is gone. A good GM could absolutely get them 50 wins this season. Though I doubt Doc will be able to.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

^^ Yeah, you said "good GM"

EvanTH posted:

I hear there's a former ROTY (who could maybe use a shooting coach) available for cheap, is that good enough :laugh:

A former MVP, too

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

EvanTH posted:

I don't know. Would DeAndre Jordan have made the allstar team without a Chris Paul running the pick and roll?

how many all-star games did ben wallace make

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kibner posted:

He's had two seasons with the Pels. And they underperformed both of them. Mainly because of health issues, but they still underperformed.

I kept saying he sucked all last year since he had no clue how to use his team before or after the Cousins trade and you kept telling me to give the team time to gel.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's not their fault that Chris Paul is shook.

I wouldn't blow up the Clippers unless Griffin is gone. A good GM could absolutely get them 50 wins this season. Though I doubt Doc will be able to.

Man I really don't know how you think a team of Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan is going to get 50 wins but we shall see

Do they go after Lowry?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah it was working so well that the team is breaking up at the first opportune moment

They will also not be winning 50 games again for a long time

Utah just won 50 with a great defensive center, a do-it-all forward and a collection of good role players. Clippers could pivot and be just fine assuming they make a few more deals and get some luck with health.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/880093713212387328

Being a primary ball handler all the drat time sucks.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/880115108801912841

anyone want a small pile of cash for your bullshit? @Chicago?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

morestuff posted:

Utah just won 50 with a great defensive center, a do-it-all forward and a collection of good role players. Clippers could pivot and be just fine assuming they make a few more deals and get some luck with health.

I don't think DAJ is anywhere close to Gobert and counting on Blake Griffin's health is a very flimsy prospect. If they get Lowry I could see them winning enough for a playoff run but the West got better and the Clippers got way worse

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
We have this Rajon Rondo contract

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doltos posted:

I kept saying he sucked all last year since he had no clue how to use his team before or after the Cousins trade and you kept telling me to give the team time to gel.

And they did gel after the 10 game grace period I said to give them. I have also maintained that he is an average coach and haven't deviated from that.

That doesn't change that the team underperformed relative to expectations (mainly through injury/lost time to key players) or how ownership views his future.

I don't see a reason to get rid of him unless there is someone out there they believe has a good chance to be a top 5 coach.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

lol "Tim Quarterman", that's a made up dude right?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Eltoasto posted:

I think he's the dude from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

I think he was on Ben Simmons lsu team maybe ?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

I think he was on Ben Simmons lsu team maybe ?

He was and I predicted during that season that he would get play in the NBA. I never said how many minutes and did predict he would be a second round pick instead of undrafted, but still!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/BullsBlogger/status/880116029543903234

Nvmind

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

OK!!

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/880093713212387328

Being a primary ball handler all the drat time sucks.

Lance Stephenson wept.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

please tell me this is entirely because of the fact that they traded that pick to the Warriors

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/880116085520965632

https://twitter.com/MarkDeeksNBA/status/880115753764229120

I think the rockets themselves have a couple non guaranteed that are currently not involved but Morey may want to hold onto them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

please tell me this is entirely because of the fact that they traded that pick to the Warriors

Yuup

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The Rockets are going to be very good. All is lost.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Wasn't Deandre Liggins kind of OK?

Edit: lol, nope. He was not.

Edit Edit: Ohh, he's the dude with the 1 minute PER record. Yeah, that is probably not a good indication of his playing value.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Shear Modulus posted:

I think they're going to sign a former MVP :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

G-Hawk posted:

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/880116085520965632

https://twitter.com/MarkDeeksNBA/status/880115753764229120

I think the rockets themselves have a couple non guaranteed that are currently not involved but Morey may want to hold onto them.

So the devious "Go over the cap to get the full MLE" plan isn't happening after all?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kibner posted:

Like, Gentry was expected to take an 8th seed team (that also suffered from serious injuries) and get them to the second round, at least. They haven't even come close to the playoffs in Gentry's two seasons.

True, I guess I'm just rephrasing some stuff Popovich has said about it all.

Playing for the Pelicans is more dangerous than going to war at this point. Start calling your injuries "casualties" and tell the players at the beginning of the season that not all of them are going to survive

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Intruder posted:

So the devious "Go over the cap to get the full MLE" plan isn't happening after all?

he might be doing that also, I dunno. Seems like hes a bit busy at the moment

edit:

https://twitter.com/MarkDeeksNBA/status/880118277845942276

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

I don't think DAJ is anywhere close to Gobert and counting on Blake Griffin's health is a very flimsy prospect. If they get Lowry I could see them winning enough for a playoff run but the West got better and the Clippers got way worse

Yeah, Gobert is 4 years younger (24 v 28 rn?) and already better on both sides of the floor than prime DAJ

AND he can hit more than 50% of his free throws

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
GarPax are so advanced that they're loving over other teams now

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Intruder posted:

Yes he is. If they complete the trade before July 1 cp3 will cause them to go over the cap for the next league year July 1st. They still have to match salaries enough to trade for him. I think its like they can take back 125% of the outgoing salary to go over the cap.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Clippers weren't working and it's probably not a bad idea to blow it up now that the best player and the best shooter on the team are gone

they did well in this s+t deal. If they can flip all of Beverly, Williams, and Jordan is short order, a complete rebuild starts to look more palatable. Griffin will be tradable though, so I see little reason to end negotiations with him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/880114805209800711
https://twitter.com/HerringtonNBA/status/880118143733178374

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Wasn't Deandre Liggins kind of OK?

Edit: lol, nope. He was not.

Edit Edit: Ohh, he's the dude with the 1 minute PER record. Yeah, that is probably not a good indication of his playing value.

How could you forget DeAndre Liggins 129.1 PER? That's like forgetting Wilt's 100 point game in '62 or Chuck Nevitt's 108.0 pts per 36(159.8 pts per 100 poss) campaign on the '93-'94 Spurs

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

there's no way that thing is the same species as the rest of us.

that's some kind of amphibious oily fish

how can it understand basketball when the family has only recently evolved hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/880118293457252352

Glake Briffen?

EvanTH posted:

there's no way that thing is the same species as the rest of us.

that's some kind of amphibious oily fish

how can it understand basketball when the family has only recently evolved hands

His hairline is spectacular.

• Locked thread