Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Poque posted:

A $14m backup catcher who can't throw out runners?

He is cool, but bad.

Well I mean if he is being DFA'd I'd assume that the Cubs would be eating a decent chunk of his salary to be able to move him.

I'm used to catchers that can't throw out runners and also can't hit so maybe my frame of reference is skewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Carlosologist posted:

Can't say I remember the last time I saw a guy DFAed right after criticizing the team

I think Zambrano was dealt away by Theo shortly after he was told the team would give him another chance.

My memory could be hazy on that, though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Julio Cruz posted:

"players who criticize other players are selfish, now let me tell you how our catcher sucks rear end"

Yeah that second sentence makes him kind of a hypocrite.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Drew Smyly is getting TJS, rip

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

seiferguy posted:

Drew Smyly is getting TJS, rip

Well, that was a disaster of a trade, rip Ms rotation.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Some Numbers posted:

Well, it's not the end of the season. Jerry could make a trade at the deadline for a starter. With Andrew Moore here, and Iwakuma back soon, the rotation is Felix - Paxton - Miranda - Moore - Gavligo. You'd probably want to replace both Miranda and Gavligo, so Iwakuma replaces one. Get a decent SP in a trade and it's an okay rotation that you can hope will take you to a wild card.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Some Numbers posted:

Rays win another trade :smug:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

No surprise to see Rizzo lighting a catcher up

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Julio Cruz posted:

"players who criticize other players are selfish, now let me tell you how our catcher sucks rear end"

It's only bad if you criticize a teammate publicly, and Montero isn't Rizzo's teammate anymore :eng101:

You could tell Rizzo was miffed about the La Stella thing last season, but he said "no comment" on it publicly.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Jeff Nelson complained about the M's not making a move at the 2003 trade deadline and promptly got traded to New York.

Not DFAd, but pretty clearly related despite the teams claim.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Was Montero in DC with the team when he got DFA'd? Did he go to the White House?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Your Taint posted:

Yeah that second sentence makes him kind of a hypocrite.

You could argue that but it's pretty common for a 'team/family' mentality. once you go outside the circle you're outside the circle.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Was Montero in DC with the team when he got DFA'd? Did he go to the White House?

They met Trump and got him to say "you're fired" and everybody laughed but then everybody stopped and stared at Miggy until he left

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You could tell Rizzo was miffed about the La Stella thing last season, but he said "no comment" on it publicly.

I'm going to guess the clubhouse is in a slightly less harmonious state this time around, as well. As much as we'd like to believe that clubhouse chemistry breeds a winning team, more often than not it's a winning team that breeds clubhouse chemistry. Things probably were already tense before Montero ran his mouth to the media, so I'm not surprised to see Rizzo venting.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Poque posted:

They met Trump and got him to say "you're fired" and everybody laughed but then everybody stopped and stared at Miggy until he left

Well, he is a bad hombre...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

I'm going to guess the clubhouse is in a slightly less harmonious state this time around, as well. As much as we'd like to believe that clubhouse chemistry breeds a winning team, more often than not it's a winning team that breeds clubhouse chemistry. Things probably were already tense before Montero ran his mouth to the media, so I'm not surprised to see Rizzo venting.

And this has also very much been an "if it's not one thing broken, it's another" season, which I imagine tends to create a fair amount of frustration among players.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/aawayne/status/880125988612571136

Y'all needs to get y'alls president.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Baseball is a 20-30 year echo of the NFL. The Cubs won their first World Series in forever last year, about 30 years after the Bears won their Super Bowl, and now are becoming mediocre, while the Brewers are rebuilding with young players replacing their decade of busts and injured vets and will now eternally sustain that sweet, sweet .550 win percentage every season and then lose early to mid-way through the playoffs every year just like the Packers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Miggy literally won the world seriesfor the cubs

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Baseball is a 20-30 year echo of the NFL. The Cubs won their first World Series in forever last year, about 30 years after the Bears won their Super Bowl, and now are becoming mediocre, while the Brewers are rebuilding with young players replacing their decade of busts and injured vets and will now eternally sustain that sweet, sweet .550 win percentage every season and then lose early to mid-way through the playoffs every year just like the Packers.

careful, last time i said something like this someone bought be a lovely avatar

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ChrisDeLuca/status/880130038334713856

Well my dad got hisone world series before he died.

I hope this team loving continues collapsing.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

yuck, didn't the Cubs already do their White House visit?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ThePeavstenator posted:

You mean after two championships? :smug:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

Most of them. SOMEBODY conveniently wasn't able to meet with Obama. Because he's a jackass. Whom I hate.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

As much as we'd like to believe that clubhouse chemistry breeds a winning team, more often than not it's a winning team that breeds clubhouse chemistry.
see: Giants, The San Francisco

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

Most of them. SOMEBODY conveniently wasn't able to meet with Obama. Because he's a jackass. Whom I hate.

he didn't meet Trump today, to his credit

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

They did, but some excuse regarding the WS Trophy being in town was contrived for the Cubs to visit the White House again. Presumably it had something to do with the bulk of the family that owns the Cubs being huge Republican shitheels.

:barf:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Here's to another 108 years. May they be long

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Check out @ManuclearBomb's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ManuclearBomb/status/880128437905747968?s=09

Is Almora giving a sly middle finger? If that's intentional then I'm buying his shirtsey immediately.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Your Taint posted:

Check out @ManuclearBomb's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ManuclearBomb/status/880128437905747968?s=09

Is Almora giving a sly middle finger?

Holy poo poo it looks like he is. Ha!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

White House issues press release condemning Al-Mora

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 28, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

Is Almora giving a sly middle finger? If that's intentional then I'm buying his shirtsey immediately.

I am Almora slyly flipping the President the bird while dressed like I'm about to give a class presentation in HS.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

I am Almora slyly flipping the President the bird while dressed like I'm about to give a class presentation in HS.

Yeah that shirt needs to be taken out back and shot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So Montero Responded on ESPN radio to the whole ordeal. Long story short: he regrets the comments he made in the heat of the moment, called Jake to apologize, and doesn't blame the Cubs for deciding to DFA him.

Honestly the whole thing is really sad. It can't be easy watching your game and role on the team slip, all while you're getting relentlessly pummeled on by fans and the media, for over a year and a half. I get that this is the second time he's barked to the media now and the organization decided to make a decisive move in response, but it still loving sucks. :smith:

I'll probably remember his PH grand slam in the NLCS game one for the rest of my life. The raw emotion of that moment was unreal.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

So Montero Responded on ESPN radio to the whole ordeal. Long story short: he regrets the comments he made in the heat of the moment, called Jake to apologize, and doesn't blame the Cubs for deciding to DFA him.

Honestly the whole thing is really sad. It can't be easy watching your game and role on the team slip, all while you're getting relentlessly pummeled on by fans and the media, for over a year and a half. I get that this is the second time he's barked to the media now and the organization decided to make a decisive move in response, but it still loving sucks. :smith:

I'll probably remember his PH grand slam in the NLCS game one for the rest of my life. The raw emotion of that moment was unreal.

I yelled so loud my throat still hurts.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Tyler Flowers is apparently the best pitch framer in the bigs and it's not particularly close. https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/880151575888515072

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
God I can't wait until Freddie is back.

Hey suzuki is on there too

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 28, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A bit surprised Roberto Perez isn't on there, but he also doesn't play that often. If only he was a decent hitter.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Did we make a corresponding roster move after the DFA? Is Contreras the only c on the roster at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Your Taint posted:

Did we make a corresponding roster move after the DFA? Is Contreras the only c on the roster at the moment?

Caratini is up, maybe he'll lead off.

• Locked thread