Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Starman Super DX posted:

Oh yeah, better for you to realize this at your PC now then to fly to my state, try to buy a case of beer of beer, (which you can't get either, there's an ounce limit) be without your ID, and then proceed to have a meltdown at the register.

Nothing to do with you personally at all, it's just how people react when they happen to be in that situation lol

Yeah I mean it'd never really come up for me, if I have my wallet I have my ID that just seems normal. I was just sorta surprised when you're like "I recognize this over 30 person and yet continue to card her" cause i hadn't really considered that other states might be more stringent than mine. Like here they don't even scan the IDs or anything, even if they do card you they just punch in the date manually so there's really nothing to stop them from making whatever up even if they looked at your ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Wait are you telling me there are states in this glorious union where you cannot purchase a case of beer?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

new phone who dis posted:

I have also refused to clean human poo poo for minimum wage.

Shift Manager: I need you to clean that bathroom
Me: Nope
Shift Manager: Do you want to get written up?
Me: I've got seven hours left on my shift and I make minimum wage. Do you want me to walk out and close the store yourself tonight while I get drunk across the street?

He ended up closing down the bathroom and calling a cleaning service for the next day. The store manager came in before they got there, cleaned it himself and cancelled the cleaning service. He also said he didn't blame me for not cleaning it and any time in the future that it happened to just do the same thing and he would take care of it. He was actually really cool about it.

This warmed my heart.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Who do I have to kill to get loyalty cards to stop being a thing?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grem posted:

Capitalism.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nessa posted:

I once got a bad review for our store from a secret shopper She asked me for a movie that recently came out, I took her directly to it, handed it to her, went to the cash desk, rang her through and she was out the door in less than 5 minutes.

But she complained that I was rude to her because my voice wasn't cheerful enough or some nonsense.

i like that low end jobs are not only thankless and poorly paid, but you also have to live in an Orwellian dystopia for your shift. camera trained on you 100% of the time, and god knows who is watching it and for what purposes. and you can never trust anyone because secret police are always around the corner, ready to denounce you for daring not to smile.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

anytime a retail associate asks you if you have the rewards card you have to decapitate them cleanly with your katana or at least give them a good hacking with a walmart unsharpened machete. if a medical coroner declares them dead at the scene he will punch your card and when you get to five punches you can laminate it and wear it sort of like a nametag

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Grem posted:

I had to offer customers a rewards card that didn't have any actual rewards, you have to go online and manually fill it with coupons after you register it and you have to keep on doing that in order to use it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Rutibex posted:

i like that low end jobs are not only thankless and poorly paid, but you also have to live in an Orwellian dystopia for your shift. camera trained on you 100% of the time, and god knows who is watching it and for what purposes. and you can never trust anyone because secret police are always around the corner, ready to denounce you for daring not to smile.

Yup. It teaches you, especially as a girl, to always be in "sing-song" mode.

Pretty sure this lady even said she would never shop at our store again because she didn't think my "have a nice day!" was "genuine enough".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I remember reading a novel in high school that satirized franchise/branding type stuff in the US; a big plot point is cross-brand loyalty programs and welp now we have poo poo like Plenti

e: among other things it satirized was emergency services that only dispatched after you or someone near you provided payment which TBH we're like worryingly close to

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 28, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Grem posted:

Little pro tip, use (area code) Jenny's number and it works all the time at all those stores. Great for the rare CVS stop and poo poo is super expensive if there's isn't a cvs card sale on it

Also easy to remember :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ziv Zulander posted:

What type of gas station lets people refuel before paying?

I know it is from awhile ago but the answer to this is "every single one in Australia".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

iajanus posted:

I know it is from awhile ago but the answer to this is "every single one in Australia".

They also have cameras specifically placed to capture the licence plate of every car at every bowser so if someone pumps & runs they just call the cops and report it and go about their day. I was buying something at my local servo and one clerk was on the phone while the other one was serving me. The customer behind me said "Sorry, I just filled up a few minutes ago and forgot to pay and drove off, I came right back to pay" and the guy on the phone was all "Ha, I was just reporting you to the police! I'll just tell them you came back and then I'll ring you out."

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They also have cameras specifically placed to capture the licence plate of every car at every bowser so if someone pumps & runs they just call the cops and report it and go about their day. I was buying something at my local servo and one clerk was on the phone while the other one was serving me. The customer behind me said "Sorry, I just filled up a few minutes ago and forgot to pay and drove off, I came right back to pay" and the guy on the phone was all "Ha, I was just reporting you to the police! I'll just tell them you came back and then I'll ring you out."

During the period before those cameras where installed, the petroleum groups where lobbying for greater police presence to stop driveoffs. The official police response was to tell them to secure thier poo poo or the coppers would invoice them for the callout and tell them to suck it up.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

Little pro tip, use (area code) Jenny's number and it works all the time at all those stores. Great for the rare CVS stop and poo poo is super expensive if there's isn't a cvs card sale on it

Also easy to remember :v:

This seems like a smart idea. I will try it, thanks

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nessa posted:

Pretty sure this lady even said she would never shop at our store again because she didn't think my "have a nice day!" was "genuine enough".
Which is ironic because the happier a retail employee acts the more miserable they actually are.

I know I'm liked by a retail person when they tell me that everything is poo poo. I know so much store gossip from so many places I have never worked, and I love it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

Which is ironic because the happier a retail employee acts the more miserable they actually are.

I know I'm liked by a retail person when they tell me that everything is poo poo. I know so much store gossip from so many places I have never worked, and I love it.

I always said that retail employees were way better than strippers at pretending they don't hate your guts and I stand by it

Like this post if you ever had a customer give you poo poo for not being cheerful or having an attitude when you had to work a shift right after failing an exam/hearing of the death of a loved one/being deathly ill

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nessa posted:

This just reminded me of a customer from my call center days. I worked in the call center for a hosting company with a really stupid name that was easily turned into bad puns. An agent once told a customer, "Have a <pun>derful day!"

The next time that customer called, she got an agent on the phone who wished her a normal, non-pun, wonderful day. This customer proceeded to flip poo poo and start screaming. The call went from agent to supervisor, supervisor to team lead, and any and all puns on the company's name were banned from phone calls from then on.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

OutOfPrint posted:

This just reminded me of a customer from my call center days. I worked in the call center for a hosting company with a really stupid name that was easily turned into bad puns. An agent once told a customer, "Have a <pun>derful day!"

The next time that customer called, she got an agent on the phone who wished her a normal, non-pun, wonderful day. This customer proceeded to flip poo poo and start screaming. The call went from agent to supervisor, supervisor to team lead, and any and all puns on the company's name were banned from phone calls from then on.

Lol people are insane.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Maybe after a generation of millennials in retail eventually they'll be the secret shoppers and won't have the expectation to be doted upon at every single turn.
I hope.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Retail won't exist next generation

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Fried Watermelon posted:

Neither will people lol

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Fried Watermelon posted:

People have been saying this for decades. Yet retail is still here and will continue to be here just not as big of an industry. I believe someone said earlier in this thread that people enjoy being assholes to and feeling superior to retail workers. Even automation won't kill it since it's not satisfying to yell at a machine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

People have been saying this for decades. Yet retail is still here and will continue to be here just not as big of an industry. I believe someone said earlier in this thread that people enjoy being assholes to and feeling superior to retail workers. Even automation won't kill it since it's not satisfying to yell at a machine.

Theyll call support desks and customer service to get their fix, dont worry.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Yawgmoth posted:

The saddest thing ever was the kids working at Marble Slab that had to sing every time they got a tip. I used to offer a bigger tip if they wouldn't sing. Those eyes man, like windows into an empty soulless void...

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I cite this as proof god exists :catholic:.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Telephones posted:

Wait are you telling me there are states in this glorious union where you cannot purchase a case of beer?

PA was the opposite until very recently- you could only buy cases of beer. I think the logic was that selling six packs or individual bottles/cans promoted alcoholism. Because having a whole case of beer at your disposal will encourage you to drink less.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Arven posted:

PA was the opposite until very recently- you could only buy cases of beer. I think the logic was that selling six packs or individual bottles/cans promoted alcoholism. Because having a whole case of beer at your disposal will encourage you to drink less.

how recently is very recently because in 2011 you could totally buy six packs, you just needed to buy them at a bar for carry out

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love how much alcohol freedom I have with in my state. The alcohol process is "do I want x?" If yes, go to any store and get x, in any form, at any day, at any time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love how much alcohol freedom I have with in my state. The alcohol process is "do I want x?" If yes, go to any store and get x, in any form, at any day, at any time.

I think maybe you can't sell alcohol before 11AM and after lik 6PM on Sundays here? Maybe?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
This sunday will be the first sunday you can buy booze from a store in MN. I look forward to the stories of poo poo going down. :allears:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Still lolling at the retail goons defending the stupid practice of carding someone clearly over 30. Never wonder why you have barely any autonomy or decision making in your roles.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

I think maybe you can't sell alcohol before 11AM and after lik 6PM on Sundays here? Maybe?

I was at Sprouts last Sunday, killing a few minutes before the Office Max next door opened at 10am. I nearly bought a beer just cause I could.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Still lolling at the retail goons defending the stupid practice of carding someone clearly over 30. Never wonder why you have barely any autonomy or decision making in your roles.

I carded everyone when I was a dumb 16 year old because there was no way I was getting fined, 2 months worth of pay checks, just because some angry geezer wanted their cigarettes or booze a little bit faster. Is it really that hard to maintain a state ID? You had to drive to this store anyway so you should have a driver's license on you.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

how recently is very recently because in 2011 you could totally buy six packs, you just needed to buy them at a bar for carry out

The six packs at a bar thing was pretty recent too, maybe 2010? You paid for each beer individually the same price if you had ordered it and drank it at the bar.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Glenn Quebec posted:

Huh? All I'm getting from it is "it's a stupid rule, but it wasn't my idea and I have to do it or else I get fired?"

Doing pointless stuff to make your bosses happy is not limited to retail.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

I carded everyone when I was a dumb 16 year old because there was no way I was getting fined, 2 months worth of pay checks, just because some angry geezer wanted their cigarettes or booze a little bit faster. Is it really that hard to maintain a state ID? You had to drive to this store anyway so you should have a driver's license on you.

one of the things that really gets me, moreso for my own strict state than anything else, is why do people bother storing their IDs in those hard-to-extract-from transparent sleeves in their wallets? who are they just flashing their IDs at ESPECIALLY if they're older and aren't getting carded anyway and any cop is just going to ask them to take it out.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Starman Super DX posted:

one of the things that really gets me, moreso for my own strict state than anything else, is why do people bother storing their IDs in those hard-to-extract-from transparent sleeves in their wallets? who are they just flashing their IDs at ESPECIALLY if they're older and aren't getting carded anyway and any cop is just going to ask them to take it out.

You don't have to take it out most of the time? Some cashiers are oddly anal about it but most of em you can just flip open the wallet and show them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Starman Super DX posted:

Look I just wanna surreptitiously cosplay Mulder when I'm buying beer, okay? Let me have this or I'll complain to your manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

You don't have to take it out most of the time? Some cashiers are oddly anal about it but most of em you can just flip open the wallet and show them.

yeah that's why I emphasized more in my strict state where people do have to get scanned every single time and at every transaction, as I had said earlier. and again as I said, you're going to have to take it out for a cop or for literally any other legal official of some kind. Really though, it's also an overall observation that nobody in general needs to keep their license in a place where they're just going to have a difficult time getting it out anyway, just because it's see through and in the hope that one day they might be able to feel like an FBI agent and flash their their open wallet at someone. It just seems superficial to me.

e: ^^^^^ Yeah exactly. Unless you're actually Spooky there's no real reason to keep your ID there

• Locked thread